The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

From Fatass to Badass

Well I am turning my whole life around. I am on a new career path, and have decided that I am sick and tired of being a fatass. My RL buddy forum member Kiaran and I got back in touch a couple months ago after hardly talking to each other in the last 5 years. He showed me some stuff in his garage gym, got me hooked on iron, and I joined a gym last week. My current weight is 280, and I am 6'2''. Max deadlift is 440, don't know max bench or squat yet. I may have to hold off on squats for awhile as I have some knee problems and squats really aggravate those, but hopefully as I get in better shape the knee problems will get better. The only goals I have right now are to get in better shape, and I want to get my deads up to 525 by August. Kiaran introduced me to this forum and suggested I start a journal so here I am.
    This week my split is Back/Triceps on Monday, Chest/Biceps Wed, and Legs on Fri, with cardio Monday through Friday. I have the frame to pack on a ton of muscle, so that is what I want to do once I get rid of some fat. I plan on switching triceps and biceps next week, because my tri's were still sore from Monday on bench today. Anyways, here is my workout for today:

Jump Ropes
    4 X 100 with 60-75s rest

Shoulder Rehab 1
    10x10lbs
    10x10lbs
    10x10lbs

Shoulder Rehab 2
    10x10lbs
    10x10lbs
    10x10lbs

Incline Bench Press
    135x7
    135x7
    135x5 (almost failed 5th rep)

Flat Bench Press
    165x5
    155x7
    155x5 (almost failed 5th rep)

Flat DB Flys
    20's x 12
    30's x 8
    30's x 6

Puss Ups
    2 sets of 5

Jump Ropes
    4X100 w/ 60-90s rest

The shoulder rehab exercises are a holdover from my HS swimming days when I had some bad rotator cuff issues. They are done on an adjustable cable machine, with the cable height set at elbow height. I do them as a warm up for bench to keep the rotator cuff issues at bay. You bend your elbow 90 deg, with your arm tucked tight against your body, and pull the cable your full range of motion across your chest. The second one is the opposite, starting with your arm across your chest and pulling out your full range of motion while keeping your elbow tight against your side. I can only do 1 pull up, so I call my pull ups puss ups. I jump up to the top pull up position and then lower myself down as slowly as I can. I also do jump ropes for my cardio on lifting days. I do half of them as my warm up, and the other half after my lifts. If I tried to do 8 sets of 100 in a row I would keel over, so I break them up. It also takes me 50-60 sec to complete 1 set of ropes, with the later sets getting slower as I land on the rope from fatigue and have to get started again. Overall it felt like a good workout today, I could barely turn the steering wheel on the drive back from the gym. Looking forward to Deads on Friday.
    Last edited by Dirk Pitt; 04-17-2008 at 04:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What up dude. First, thanks for all the kind words, bro. I'm glad you're finding your path and that I could have some positive influence in your life. I don't have much time to post right now, but just wanted to let you know all that. I'll stop in again a little later to give my thoughts on the workout.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Cardio day, tried some HIIT Training and it kicked my ass hardcore. I did it on the exercise bike. I did a 7 minute warmup, then cranked the resistance way up and pedaled as hard as I could for 30 sec, which got my heart rate to 177, then lowered the resistance and took it easy. From doing some reading my target high HR should be 176 or above, and I want to get it down to 126 during the rest. Well after 3 minutes of barely pedaling with the lowest resistance my HR was only down to 149. I hit it hard again, but could only manage 25 sec this time, and my HR only got to 165. After another 3 minutes I was down to 153, and I cranked the resistance up again, but only managed 20 sec this time, again getting my hr up to 165 or so. I tried to cool down afterwards but could not. I got off the bike and made it 10 steps before I collapsed and had to lay down on the floor for about 5 minutes or so trying not to puke and or pass out while waves of nausea / light-headedness came over me. After that I was able to make it to the locker room, where I had to sit on a bench for another 5 minutes before I could even start to change. Also when I was laying on the ground immediately after getting off the machine my legs hurt more than they have ever hurt in my life, and I have done some gnarly mtn bike rides so I am used to leg pain. I think I am goinig to have to not try to do 3 sets and just do 2 and slowly work my way up. My breathing was still not back to normal 20 minutes after getting off the bike.

Also did Dead Lift 135 X 10 to work on my form.
    Last edited by Dirk Pitt; 04-18-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    My Journal
    BP:250 DL:455 SQ:375 T:1080

Friday's routine was a pretty good one. I'm pretty sore today, was pretty sore last night and ended up getting about 5 hours of sleep only

Ropes
    3 x 100

Deads
    7 x 135
    7 x 225
    7 x 315
    6 x 365
    5 x 385
    2 x 415 (pr)

Hamstring Curls
    10 x 135
    6 x 150
    5 x 150

Leg Press
    10 x 380
    10 x 470
    7 x 560

On the Leg Press I just put how much I put on the sled as I do not know the weight of the empty sled. I have also lost 4lbs since last Wednesday, from 280 to 276.
    Last edited by Dirk Pitt; 04-19-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    My Journal

Welcome and good luck with your goals!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Hey, dude. Damn fine stuff with those deads! Gonna be passing me up very shortly Pretty nice choice of moves there as well. Definitely don't bother trying to figure out how much the sled adds to the lift. I always just track levered and sled machines as +xxx for the weight because who the **** really knows what it translates to in three dimensions. All you really know is if it's hard, it's hard, right? Also, nice job on dropping 4 lbs in less than a week! That's some serious loss right there. Keep it going, bro...and get more sleep, that's when the real transformation is happening!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Monday, weird workout.

Ropes
    1 x 100
    1 x 63 ( rope came apart)

Exercise Bike
    15 min warm up

Shoulder Rehab Exercises (both)
    10 x 10
    10 x 10
    10 x 10

Flat Bench Press
    7 x 155
    6 x 155
    6 x 155

Dead Lift
    7 x 225
    7 x 315
    7 x 365 (pr + 1 rep)

T-Bar Rows
    12 x 115
    10 x 135
    8 x 150

This weekend I am heading up to Kiaran's and am going for ME on Bench and Deads, which is why I did both today. I was not planning on doing deads, as I did them on Friday, but I was feeling pretty good and wanted to get them in once more before Saturday. I'm really stoked about getting that 7th rep of 365. I did want to do some puss ups, but after deads and T-Bars my forearms were shot and there was no way I could hang onto the bar. The rest of the week I plan on just doing cardio every day, hopefully the weather holds and I can get out and do some mountain biking with my buddy who needs to get on the bike to rehab 2 broken ankles from crashing his dirt bike in August.
    My Journal

Hafner: Thanks for stopping by.

Kiaran I know I need more sleep, I was pretty sore and basically tossed and turned trying to get comfortable all night.
    My Journal

Lookin' great in here, dude. Deads are STRONG!
    19 Years Old
    5'8
    147lbs

Journal:http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=102026
    RAW/Belt - Pre-2008 - Present - Goal
    Bench: ------- 185 ------ 200 ----- 225
    Squat: ------- 265 ------ 285 ----- 315
    Deads: ------- 355 ------ 405 ----- 455

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me [strong]. And when I [lift], I feel His pleasure. -Chariots of Fire(mod.)

Jaybird: Thanks man! Deads keep me motivated. They are ****in' improving so fast I can't believe it. There is just something really cool in my mind about picking up a ****load of weight off the floor. I feel like a pussy with everything upper body though. I really need to work the arms and chest. I've just always had really big, strong legs since I was a kid.
    My Journal

Strong numbers bro!

With the HIIT, go shorter time. 15sec/45sec rest, work up to 30sec work. That should help you keep up the intesity through out. It should only take you 10-15mins at most.

Keep up the good work!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Nice journal man, You have some sick deads progression. When you go up and lift with K this weekend you need to make sure and get some on film, I could use some inspiration with them! Keep up the good work dirk!
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

ddegroff: Thanks for the advice, I will try that next time I do HIIT for sure. I think I am going to stick to just the straight up boring long cardio routines for the next few weeks though to get myself in better cardiovascular shape before I do HIIT again, but I will definitely be doing it in the future. HIIT at 8600ft altitude as out of shape as I am is just too brutal I think.

Indifference: Thanks dude! Pics, Vids and Measurements are all on the list of things to do at K's this weekend for sure. My goal for ME deads is a minimum of 450, I am really hoping for 455.

Reading the journals and having people post in my thread is really motivating, much more than I thought it would be. I see what all you guys are doing, and the progress you have made which just makes me want to hit the iron as hard as I can.
    My Journal

Congrats on getting the journal started man. From the vids and pics Kiaran's gym is a great environment to lift in. Also, is Dirk Pitt the guy from Clive Kessler(sp?) books? My pops reads those.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Tuesday, Apr 22. Cardio Day

Rowing Machine
    20 minutes, 250 cal burned, resistance lvl 7.

Exercise Bike
    30 min, 284 cal burned, HR between 145-155bpm, pedal speed 85-95rpm. Resistance lvl alternated between 4 and 5, with the last minute at 6.

534 cal in 50 minutes isn't too bad. I was surprised I lasted so long on the rowing machine, especially having done Deads yesterday. I really didn't have any DOMs today, which was surprising considering how tired I was after yesterday's workout. I guess I should have pushed myself harder yesterday, I am kind of upset with myself for not being sore today. The rows really ****ing wore my ass out though, that ****ing machine is BRUTAL. They were a really good warm up for the bike, got everything loose and the sweat going, and the sweat just kept pouring out of me on the bike. I really hate cardio, and am not looking forward to the rest of the week being cardio only as I need to be well rested and not sore for the brutality that is Kiaran's Garage Gym this weekend. I need to lose weight though, so the cardio is definitely necessary. I want to be more specific with my goals, so my newest goal is to drop down to between 240 and 225, depending on how I look, and then start eating like a maniac to pack on the muscle.
    My Journal

Runty: Thanks for stopping by man! Yes, Dirk Pitt is from the Clive Cussler books. I started reading his books in 5th or 6th grade, and he is one of my favorite authors, always good for some light reading.
    My Journal

On the move in here, clearly got some plans.

Coke: Yeah, I have wanted to get myself in good shape for a long time now, and I have the skeletal structure to be a ****ing beast, so I am finally going to go for it.

Not doing anything today, I was going to do cardio, but I have been averaging about 6 hours of sleep the last week, and today my dad had to be admitted to the hospital because of some heart issues that the doctors have been trying to figure out for a couple years now. Between all that and the all day programming class I have been taking I just ran out of energy and there was no way I was going to ride an exercise bike for an hour tonight. It needs to be saturday already so I can pick up something heavy. Meh, ****ty day
    My Journal

Damn, I can't believe your dad's in the ER again, man. Let me know if you need anything or I can help at all. Sorry man.

On another note, your determination lately has been unrivaled, bro. Really liking the attitude of this new dude you're becoming. Getting **** dialed in and you'll start dropping weight like crazy with all that cardio. I definitely couldn't hang with you on that ****, lol, I'd be puking everywhere. Keep your head up and just keep crushing it, bro!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

K: Thanks, I think I finally got my head screwed on straight. My dad has really taken a turn for the worse lately. He is at the point now where he can only walk 30 or 40 ft before he gets winded and has to stop to take a break. They think it might be a rare condition caused by Crohn's (sp) disease where a protein is released that settles in the heart and liver, for which there is no treatment, and is usually fatal within 2 years of the onset of symptoms, and my dad has been having these symptoms for over 3 years now. Hopefully that's not the case but things really don't look good right now.
    My Journal

Strong stuff in here, dude. Welcome to the site, too.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Keith: Thanks dude

Workout Thurs Apr 24: Cardio : Hiking

So it was a nice day out and I decided **** the cardio machines, I have a nice hill in my backyard. It's probably between 500-800 ft tall, I'll take a picture of it sometime. Anyways there is a system of trails in there that connects into National Forest. I hiked up my favorite trail up to the top, where the enchilada I ate before the hike decided to come up for a visit with the outside world. Pretty hard hike, its fairly steep most of the way with a couple really steep sections. One is about a 40deg incline for 100 yards or so and the other varies between 35-45 deg for 250-300 yards. After the first 300 yards or so, which are probably the least steep part, I was breathing hard like a mother****er. I had to stop 3 times for 15-30 sec breaks, but I pushed myself pretty hard. I just kept putting 1 foot in front of the other until I was at the top though, then turned around and hauled ass back down. I ran a few of the sections on the way down. Total time of 1 hour 10 minutes, and I would say 50 minutes was climb with 20 minutes to get back down, maybe 15 minutes down. I will bring a watch with me next time so I can time my splits, there are certain landmarks where I used to always stop to toke up and I will use those for splits, plus total time up and total time down. The calves felt it pretty good going up and the quads got their turn coming down. It was really great to get out into nature again, it's nice and peaceful and relaxing, even when your heart is trying to escape from your chest . Also I was wearing heavy ass work boots.
    My Journal

Oh hell yeah. Hiking is a crazy ass workout, man. Especially at your altitude; no **** you were probably breathing hard and throwing up, lol! You paint a good picture, I can almost smell the clean air...then I picture your enchilada, haha! Sorry to hear about your dad, man. That really sucks. See ya this weekend.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Man that is pretty awesome that you have trails and stuff and a national park pretty much in your backyard. Would be a lot better than the cardio crap most of us have to deal with haha.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

Impressed to see some hiking this way...hope things brighten for your dad, sorry to hear of his plight.