The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is increasing my bench press 100 lbs in one year realistic?

I am just getting back into weightlifting and am currently setting some short and long term goals. One of the goals is to increase my bench 100 lbs in one year. How realistic is this? I have included my chest workout from the other day in case it helps to determine if 100 lb gain is realistic. My chest workouts are usually pretty similar to this one and I always get at least one chest day a week, two if i have enough free time to get back to the gym.

Here is my workout from the other night:

Flat Bench
    45x20
    115x10
    135x8
    155x6
    175x4
    185x4

Decline Bench
    115x10
    135x8
    155x6
    175x4
    175x4

Incline Press
    115x10
    135x8
    155x6
    155x4

Seated Bench Machine
    10xHalf Stack (No Clue on the weight and the plate numbers are worn off)
    10x3/4 Stack
    10x3/4 Stack +3 plates
    10xFull Stack

Seated Chest Fly Machine
    10x100
    10x120
    10x140
    10x150

Not sure what this one is called-Sitting on a flat bench with one dumbbell behind the head using two hands working the tri's?
    10x50
    10x60
    10x65

V-Bar Pushdown
    10x20
    10x30
    10x40
    10x50
    10x60
    10x70
    10x80

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

looks like too much volume to me

if you're trying to increase strength I would go with a 5x5 routine
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Holy ****ing volume batman!

How long have you been lifting? My best advice to a beginner would be to just adopt a pre-written routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Look ma, I deadlifted. el_Mariachi's Avatar
    Check out the Baby Got Back routine, I like that one a lot. You got too much chest volume for one day here.

In answer to your question: yes, since you're just starting out I'd say with the right routine, dedication, and good diet, it would be possible for you to be benching 285 in a year. You'll probably see big gains over the next couple months and then the hard work starts. I'd mix in some flat DB presses too occasionally to hit your stabilizing muscles, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Holy ****ing volume batman!

How long have you been lifting? My best advice to a beginner would be to just adopt a pre-written routine.
    I have been lifting on and off for about seven years. Im just getting back into it from a 2 year break though.

I have never really followed a formal routine so I am going to have to look over the ones on here over the weekend.

Wait. 10 sets of 80 reps = volume? What?
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    How do you think fat people got fat? Do you think they know something special that you don't? No. They're eating all the ****ing time.

Sorry about that, i started with weightxreps and half way down I switched it up. The last half of my workout is actually:

Seated Bench Machine
    Half Stackx10 (No Clue on the weight and the plate numbers are worn off)
    3/4 Stackx10
    3/4 Stack +3 platesx10
    Full Stackx10

Seated Chest Fly Machine
    100x10
    120x10
    140x10
    150x10

Not sure what this one is called-Sitting on a flat bench with one dumbbell behind the head using two hands working the tri's?
    50x10
    60x10
    65x10

V-Bar Pushdown
    20x10
    30x10
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10
    70x10
    80x10

Look ma, I deadlifted. el_Mariachi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by collin44 View Post
    V-Bar Pushdown
    20x10
    30x10
    40x10
    50x10
    60x10
    70x10
    80x10
    Using this exercise as an example, what are you getting out of doing 10 reps of 20lbs? If at the end of 7 sets you can still do 80lbs x 10, that means you're doing way to light a weight early on. Try starting with 120 lbs and do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. You don't need to warm up your triceps after you've just been doing bench, if maybe that's the reason you're doing all those super light weights to start?

Anyway, point is this: to get stronger you need to lift heavier weights, and 20lb pressdowns are going to do nothing for you at all. Same goes for all the super lightweight chest exercises you're doing.

Yeah, they've said some good things.

I'd say 100lbs in a year at your level is definitely possible. That said, I'd bet against you only because it takes consistent training. Don't take offense to that, though. I obviously don't know you. And hopfully my saying that will make you realize that you WILL need to be consistent and dedicated to achieve your goals. Ummm...also though, don't push TOO hard, cuz if you get injured, even if you only have to rest 2-3 weeks, that's still pretty huge.

Read up on some stuff, there's always more to learn. Have fun with it. Don't get too discouraged with plateaus...but don't let them last long, lol - blast through them.

You have a lot of useless volume in there. You''ll never gain 100 pounds on your bench doing a million light ass reps every day. You're gonna have to go heavy eventually if you want to really add some strength.

After a few heavy sets of normal bench I'm freaking spent. I might do a few cable cross-overs at the end after I work my tri's but that's about it. There's no way you're working yourself very hard if you're able to move on and do 4 or 5 sets of incline and decline bench after flat bench.

Quality over Quantity.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    raising the bench 100 pounds in a year is possible but highly unlikely..

but with a routine like that ur not going about it the right way..

do u want to increase muscle mass or bench strength??

bench strength u want an entirely different type of routine mixing in some max effort work and some dynamic work to help move the most weight

the routine ur using is more a bodybuilding routine made for building some size, ull get stronger as a by product, will it throw 100 pounds onto ur bench press in a year? more than likely not, especially if uve been lifitng for 7 years 100 pound increase just aint gonna happen in a year

so reasses ur goals and see whats important to you

btw i see nothign wrong with the volume in your routine as long as u can handle it through recovery , eating and rest

lots of peopel are so afraid of over trainign that they dont train enough, at the rep ranges ur using i dont think ur gonna overly tax ur CNS and go into over training that much

u wanna get that chest bigger, ditch the machines, and the flyes, ur doing good by hitting all three angles now lets get two dumbell movements, replace a barbell movement with a dumbell one along with the machin and drop the flyes and do dips

ex
    bench pres
    dumbell incline
    decline bench
    flat dumbell
    dip

all 5x10 or what ever rep range u choose.

flyes are good for stretching the pecs occasionally but if ur goal is size, id ditch them infavor of more pressing exercises to fully load and properly overload the chest muscles into growth
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Get a real routine.
    + Gain a lot of weight.
    + Learn how to bench.
    + Get a bench shirt.

= 100 lbs.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    btw i see nothign wrong with the volume in your routine as long as u can handle it through recovery , eating and rest

To the OP, corey is a crazy bastard...but he is a crazy bastard that knows how to recover from brutal twice-a-day work outs...so I would take his comment with a grain of salt, as he is a pretty seasoned lifter and you have been an on again/off again lifter for the last 7 years.

From my personal experience, I was doing high volume stuff like your routine, and got no where..it wasnt until I switched to a 5x5 set up that I started making some progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    You have a lot of useless volume in there. You''ll never gain 100 pounds on your bench doing a million light ass reps every day. You're gonna have to go heavy eventually if you want to really add some strength.

After a few heavy sets of normal bench I'm freaking spent. I might do a few cable cross-overs at the end after I work my tri's but that's about it. There's no way you're working yourself very hard if you're able to move on and do 4 or 5 sets of incline and decline bench after flat bench.

Quality over Quantity.
    I haven't been on this site very long but this is the most important thing I've learned here. I'm not completely on board with the "do squats for biceps" idea, but I do believe that compound movements are the most effective. I've managed to clean up my routine to cut out some of the bull**** stuff I was doing so I'm doing less sets and getting in and out of the gym faster and I'm making more progress than I was before.

To get your bench press up you don't have to do 20 different chest and tricep exercises. Just pick the right ones and do them hard at a really heavy weight for 3-6 reps. A few weeks ago I was going into the gym doing something like

3x10 175 Flat BB Press
    3x10 155 Decline BB Press
    3x10 145 Incline BB Press
    3x10 45 DB Flies
    3x10 40 DB Tricep Kickbacks
    3x10 85 Machine Tricep Pulldowns

Now I'll do something like

1x6 135 Flat BB Press (Warm up)
    1x6 185 Flat BB Press (Warm up)
    2x5 225 Flat BB Press
    2x3 245 Flat BB Press
    1x1 260 Flat BB Press
    3x8 80 Flat DB Press
    3x10 80 BB Lying Tricep Extension

I feel like I'm getting a much harder workout putting up heavier weights less times than I was when I was doing basically 180 reps of lighter weights that I could handle for 3x10.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by el_Mariachi View Post
    Using this exercise as an example, what are you getting out of doing 10 reps of 20lbs? If at the end of 7 sets you can still do 80lbs x 10, that means you're doing way to light a weight early on. Try starting with 120 lbs and do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. You don't need to warm up your triceps after you've just been doing bench, if maybe that's the reason you're doing all those super light weights to start?

Anyway, point is this: to get stronger you need to lift heavier weights, and 20lb pressdowns are going to do nothing for you at all. Same goes for all the super lightweight chest exercises you're doing.
    That was the last thing I did before leaving the gym. I was just trying to burn out my triceps. I wasn't resting between sets, just changing the pin and doing another ten. After doing 80 reps my tri's were burned out, but it definitely sounds like it was wasted effort now!

Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    Yeah, they've said some good things.

I'd say 100lbs in a year at your level is definitely possible. That said, I'd bet against you only because it takes consistent training. Don't take offense to that, though. I obviously don't know you. And hopfully my saying that will make you realize that you WILL need to be consistent and dedicated to achieve your goals. Ummm...also though, don't push TOO hard, cuz if you get injured, even if you only have to rest 2-3 weeks, that's still pretty huge.

Read up on some stuff, there's always more to learn. Have fun with it. Don't get too discouraged with plateaus...but don't let them last long, lol - blast through them.
    Thanks a lot for the advice, I definitely wouldn't be posting here if I planned on taking offense to anyone's advice or criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    raising the bench 100 pounds in a year is possible but highly unlikely..

but with a routine like that ur not going about it the right way..

do u want to increase muscle mass or bench strength??

bench strength u want an entirely different type of routine mixing in some max effort work and some dynamic work to help move the most weight

the routine ur using is more a bodybuilding routine made for building some size, ull get stronger as a by product, will it throw 100 pounds onto ur bench press in a year? more than likely not, especially if uve been lifitng for 7 years 100 pound increase just aint gonna happen in a year

so reasses ur goals and see whats important to you

lots of peopel are so afraid of over trainign that they dont train enough, at the rep ranges ur using i dont think ur gonna overly tax ur CNS and go into over training that much

u wanna get that chest bigger, ditch the machines, and the flyes, ur doing good by hitting all three angles now lets get two dumbell movements, replace a barbell movement with a dumbell one along with the machin and drop the flyes and do dips

ex
    bench pres
    dumbell incline
    decline bench
    flat dumbell
    dip

all 5x10 or what ever rep range u choose.

flyes are good for stretching the pecs occasionally but if ur goal is size, id ditch them infavor of more pressing exercises to fully load and properly overload the chest muscles into growth
    Thanks, I will definitely be working in some dumbell's in my next chest day.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Get a real routine.
    + Gain a lot of weight.
    + Learn how to bench.
    + Get a bench shirt.

= 100 lbs.
    In regards to the "Learn how to bench" comment, the local Crossfit by me is holding an Introduction to Olympic Weightlifting class this weekend that I am hoping to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    To the OP, corey is a crazy bastard...but he is a crazy bastard that knows how to recover from brutal twice-a-day work outs...so I would take his comment with a grain of salt, as he is a pretty seasoned lifter and you have been an on again/off again lifter for the last 7 years.

From my personal experience, I was doing high volume stuff like your routine, and got no where..it wasnt until I switched to a 5x5 set up that I started making some progress.

I plan on following a routine by my next workout tomorrow, but after reading through these posts I put this workout together yesterday (not chest but I am referring to the strucutre and trying to get away from machines). I am hoping that I am moving in the right direction and once I choose a routine I can start my uphill battle for 285.

Deadlift (w/ belt)
    135x5
    185x5
    205x5
    235x5
    235x3 (Lost form after 3)

Hang Clean (w/belt)
    95x5
    115x5
    125x5
    135x4 (Bar hit belt coming up on the fifth causing my left side to dip)
    135x5

Barbell Shrugs (w/belt)
    135x10 (so used to 10 reps that I forgot I was doing 5)
    185x5
    205x5
    215x5
    225x5

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
    65x5
    85x5
    95x5
    105x5
    115x5

One-Armed Lateral Row (Hammer Strength machine)
    90x5
    115x5
    135x5
    145x5
    155x5

Seated Shoulder Press (Hammer Strength Machine)
    90x5
    140x5
    160x5
    170x5
    180x5

If you are an absolute beginner starting with a max bench of 115 lbs, then yes, it's possible to put 100 lbs on your bench in a year with the right program, diet, etc.

For an intermediate lifter getting back inot it, such as yourself, probably not going to happen, and ESPECIALLY not with that routine. Reduce the volume, increase the intensity, do at least 3-5 sets with at least 90% of your max per workout, no more than once per week, eat lots of high quality protein and calories, refine your bench technique, squat and deadlift, get good sleep, and allow for adequate recovery between sessions, and you'll have the best shot at reaching the highest bench possible for you in the least amount of time.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I read over the WBB and Baby Got Back routines over lunch and I am going to give the Baby Got Back a shot starting tomorrow. For those of you on a 4 day routine like BGB, where do you place your off days (most logical would seem to be Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday)?

Wannabebig Member
    i went from 185 to 300 in just a little over 10 months..but i had never seriously lifted in my life...if thats the case with you as well, then its totally possible.

I worked my chest for the first time since last week and I tried to reduce the volume and focus more on lifting heavier on fewer exercises. Unfortunately, I forgot my notes with the BGB so I kind of winged it. How does this look compared to my original post?

Flat Bench
    135x5
    155x5
    165x5
    175x5
    185x5

Incline Bench
    115x5
    135x5
    145x5
    155x5
    165x5

DB Bench
    50x5
    55x5
    60x5
    65x5
    70x5

Dips
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5

Skull Crushers
    35x5
    45x5
    55x5
    65x5
    75x5

Go ahead and try an alternative routine that others have suggested here, heavier weights, lower volume and more rest is what is needed here. I'd say it's possible b/c I did it in the first year and half or so of training, and your strength levels are probably fairly similar to before you started lifting, BEFORE the 2 year hiatus you took. Just don't get hurt and DO NOT STOP. It's very possible.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Too much volume and after 5 sets of bench press, there is no need to start with low weights. You're just wasting your energy.

That's the same crappy routine you had before.

Benching is about triceps, shoulders, lats and form. Go read routines/journals of guys who actually bench a lot of weight, they won't look anything like what you have.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I've not been reading/posting in here as much as usual, and the quality of responses is really deteriorating.

BGB?? WBB routines??

Come on.

If your goal is really to get a big bench (and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you also want similar increases in Squat and Deadlift), you need to train for it. As mentioned in one of the few correct posts above, if you are a nebwie, sure, you can add 100 pounds to your bench in a year, maybe even more. If you are just returning it will be a stretch, but if you want it bad enough to work hard enough, you can do more than you think.

You need to learn a lot about training, though. The most effective routines are more streamlined than yours, focusing on a few basic lifts repeated frequently. Look through some logs here of the powerlifters. Type 'rippetoe' into the search box. Then try 'programming'.

The routine you are using will not get you where you say you want to go.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Too much volume.

My bench goes up just fine doing 2 different exercises a day on bench day.

Just push yourself harder than you know you can.
    My bench has gone up over 100 lbs in 10 months. It's very possible.

Eat, sleep, and work hard. Simple.

I don't even eat right OR sleep right and i take no supplements and all my lifts are constantly gowing up after 10 months of constant working out. I guess I'm blessed with good genetics.
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

Banned
    Heres my bench routine... kinda gives u a basic...

my routine on bench usually started with Flat (dbs or bar usually switched it up).. we did like 1 warm up set at about 15 reps.... followed by 3 more sets going for a 10-12, 8-10, and then 6 reps drop... After flat it was usually followed by an incline(same thing usually db/barbell was changed every week or every other week... basicly not doing the same as what was done on flat) same type of sets just without the warm up.. so we did like 3 sets. . . possibly four depending on how strong the last set was... After incline it was usually an incline fly/cable fly/or machine fly(once again changed it every week) and with same simliliar sets possibly a drop set... sometimes a double drop for a burn out.... And last would be a decline barbell(no db cause the decline seat they had was to wobbly for my buddy to be holding the 120s)... at that point i was usually done.. But once i got into the routine my endurance picked up a bit and ide go for 2 sets atleast...

i used to lift by myself maxing at maybe 185lbs 4-5 times... upon lifting with a partner in a matter of maybe 4-5 months i was pushing 275lbs 3 times...

If u want to hit that 100 lb higher mark make sure u have a partner cause thats the key in my opinion... My partner always pushes me... and keeps me pushing harder than i could ever imagine.. i thought ide never break 225 lbs weight 165lbs... i beat my goal.. and got way over that... jjust keep pushing yerself every week... im assuming uwant an xtra 10 lbs on flat? so try to throw an extra 5lbs on the last flat bench set... and just keep pushing