Thread: Well here goes nothing....be gentle on the flames

Wannabebig Member

Well here goes nothing....be gentle on the flames

I was to embarrassed to do this but what the hell. I have been working out for 2 1/2 months now. My story is 3/16/06 I went to the doctor b/c of the flu and weighed in at 272!!!! I knew I was getting fat but that was crazy....100lbs overweight for sure....so I started to loose weight and exercise. I took up tennis and the lbs started coming off. Along with a change in my diet I was on the right track. Now in 11/07 I joined a gym to try to get some muscle. My goal is to put on some good size. I would like to fill out my tshirt and just get big all around. Only this time big with muscle not fat.....So here are some pics. I see progression and Im happy thus far. One problem I have is since I lost a bunch of weight I am afraid to put the fat back on but I know I got to eat to get bigger.....My diet has changed and all that junk food is out and I surprisingly dont miss it.....

3-06 weight 272
    1/18/08 weight 185

Oh yeah Im 6ft and about to turn 31 next month.

3/06...

9/07...wow I was still big but lost about 80 lbs at this point

these are from 11/15/07

1/18/08

Last edited by lilbuddy; 01-31-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Your face definitely thinned out a lot... got some work to do to lose the fat around the waist

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Your face definitely thinned out a lot... got some work to do to lose the fat around the waist
    any suggestions? I actually went from a 44 waist to 34. I have changed my diet as much as I can without sacrificing my intake too much. I read that I need to eat eat eat to gain muscle. I stay away from fried foods or dessert type food. My diet now on a typical day is something like this

4:20 am wake up to take supplements
    5:00 Im at the gym. Work out for a little over an hour On cardio days I try to get 30 min in and an hour of lifting
    630 protein shake with fruit and oatmeal
    7:30 am couple of egg beaters and a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter
    930 or 10 am small snack......maybe a fat free yogurt with some granola on top or a couple of boiled eggs
    12-lunch....perhaps a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread or pita, yogurt, maybe some fruit
    3-2 scoops of whey protein with skim milk
    5-6 dinner....chicken breast or some kind of lean meat, veggie, maybe a small potato with lemon juice on it
    7:30-8-....1 scoop of whey before bed

with all of this I cut out soda and I drink a gallon of water before 1pm every day and then continue with about another 1/2-3/4 gallon the rest of the day. I also have about a 8oz cup of coffee in the a.m.

NOOOOOOOOOB
    your back looks good too, yeah you have some work for the waist also.

NOOOOOOOOOB
    what 'supplements' ? eat a meal before you lift. drink a shake right when you get up, you need something in you to work off of.

You look a LOT better man. You still have a little flub around the waist, but everyone does (almost everyone). There is definately a difference between the January and November pics. Your face looks a lot thinner too.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnp View Post
    what 'supplements' ? eat a meal before you lift. drink a shake right when you get up, you need something in you to work off of.

getting a whole meal in is impossible so...I get up early and take creatine and drink some kreation and eat a banana. get ready for the gym and grab a Gatorade....then i drink a shake right after I work out.

NOOOOOOOOOB
    by the shake/meal that meant to be 1 thing. if i can't fit breakfast, 3scoops of maximus and 5g of creatine in a shake and drink on the way to school. you're body is on low for not eating for around 8 hours. gotta fill it up to start your day.

Keep the protein high... around 250 grams per day and keep the carbs moderate I'd say about 100 grams per day fats fill in the rest of your calories. Eating fat doesn't make you fat.. thats a myth.

Don't think you have to eat every 2 hours, thats a myth as well. You can eat 3 big meals or 5 small ones which ever suits your needs better one doesn't work any better then the other.

The best way to do this is to montior your calorie intake vs your weight over a length of time. Evaluate that and make changes as necessary. Know that a man in his prime can ad about a half a pound of muscle per week (unassisted) and that you really don't want to try for much more then that. So you do not want to be eating more then about 700 calories over your maintenance on a per day basis. Much more then that will have you putting the flub back on. 2-3 pounds of muscle per month is a reasonable goal.

And congratulations man, you've done outstanding losing all that weight! Not too many people can say they have the will power to do that.

10 pounds of muscle makes a BIG difference to your frame, especially when your under 200 pounds.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 01-31-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Get big.
    Congratulations man, you should definitely be proud of the progress you've made. The gut is always the last thing to go for men so don't let it get you down. Keep working at it.

You wake up damn early but if you're trying to put on any muscle, you need to eat something before hand. Even if you're staying at a calorie deficit and trying to continue to cut weight, a shake before you hit the gym would be a good idea.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the positive comments and the feedback. I also plan to get with a trainer in the next couple of weeks. My wife has one and he has worked wonders for her. I know some folks say well you dont need a trainer but for me I would really like one...One of the biggest things I need is someone to show me the "proper" way to work out.

Everyones advice has been great....yeah I know about my gut...I hate it!

Impressive change...keep at it!

you look great man... huge difference. its not even the same person
    Sarvamangalam!

Wow, great transformation, keep it up.

Wannabebig Member
    Again thanks for the positive feedback. Its been a journey to say the least. One thing that sucks is busting your butt to get rid of the weight and then still have the skin around my belly...I really need to figure out how much is skin and how much is fat.

HOw much cardio are you doing?

From what I've read, best to stick to 3 times a week, limiting it to 1/2 hour per session -- so as of to not burn muscle mass.

I've got to start doing some cardio myself.... weight is fluctuating between 212 - 215, lbs.... I hate cardio
    Last edited by fpr; 02-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    HOw much cardio are you doing?

From what I've read, best to stick to 3 times a week, limiting it to 1/2 hour per session -- so as of to not burn muscle mass.

I've got to start doing some cardio myself.... weight is fluctuating between 212 - 215, lbs.... I hate cardio
    Yeah before I was doing way to much cardio. I was trying to get in a half hour 6 times a week and 3 times a week I was doing spin class......that kind of dropped down to spin 2 times a week and either the elliptical or treadmill 2-3 times a week. I need to find a happy medium with my cardio. One problem I have is when you are over weight and you drop the weight I cant get the weight out of my head and Im scared to not to a bunch of cardio to burn the calories. But I understand that I am doing to much and Im not going to be able to achieve my muscle mass goals........

fantastic progress.
    2000 or bust

Congrads bud!

As for the trainer...
    Most trainers dont know what they're doing themselves. You have to REALLY watch out who your with.

Make sure your squatting, deadlifting, and benching and you should be fine.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Congrads bud!

As for the trainer...
    Most trainers dont know what they're doing themselves. You have to REALLY watch out who your with.

Make sure your squatting, deadlifting, and benching and you should be fine.
    Yeah I know what you mean....I feel pretty good about the guy Im going with. He has been training my wife for a couple months now and has her on a good program but of course my results are only going to be as good as to what I put into it. I want to get deadlifts into my routine but I need proper instruction so I dont injure myself.

on more thing....LETS GO GIANTS....sorry but I waited several years for this one...just hope we dont have another ravens out come.

Hey Lilbuddy, when you say you're doing "cardio", ever think that you might be sabotaging your progress by over-doing the cardio/doing too much steady-state cardio (SS), which might have a negative influence on your body's hormonal levels/cause increased fat retention?

Try some HIIT - it's high intensity interval training. Think mixing sprints with periods of jogging. I've read that it does wonders to keep your fat-burning high, which MIIIIIGHT be just the ticket to attack your residual fat after the rest of you thins down.

Either way, great transformation and keep it up. We'll expect more progress from you now!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Try some HIIT - it's high intensity interval training. Think mixing sprints with periods of jogging. I've read that it does wonders to keep your fat-burning high, which MIIIIIGHT be just the ticket to attack your residual fat after the rest of you thins down.
    Yes, that is what I am changing over to now. 20-30 min 2-3 times a week. for the cardio with a HIIT program. I hope to see some good progress. I also read a similar program in the Bill Philips book "Body For Life" which if anyone is going through the transformation right now I highly suggest this book. Bill lays it out there and is blunt and to the point.

Nice work!

I wrote up a little cardio article here that you may find helpful. It works the cardio modalities into the lifting.

Have a look maybe?

My blog has some diet info you may find useful also.

Good luck, keep up the great work!

Thats an incredible transformation there!