The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Deadlift advice

Deadlift advice

Hi, quick question about weight ramping on deadlifts.

Im doing rippetoes routine, so on deadlift day I warmup with a few sets then build to a working set of 1x5 reps. I wondered how I should break down the weights in my warm up sets?

Last workout I did:

1x5 132
    1x5 220
    1x5 286
    working set: 1x5 297

I'm pretty tired by the time I hit my working set. Any advice on how to structure the warm ups?

Also, on my working set, it really is a max effort for 5 reps. I really struggle to get the first rep off the floor, then 2,3,4 are ok, with a huge effort for number 5. Is this usual? Or do most people find the first rep ok?

Cheers
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Think of your warm up sets more in terms of acclimation sets. You're just getting your body acclimated to the weight because hopefully, you've already done a dynamic warmup. You're body should already be warm, and the sets prior to your working weight are just ways of getting your body ready to lift the scheduled weight.

I do more along the lines of:
    132x3
    220x1
    286x1
    and then your working set of 297x5

That way you're not burned out before getting to your working sets.

As far as my understanding of Rippetoe's routine, the last one should be a struggle. The first one will always be more difficult because you have no eccentric portion of the exercise to build your stretch reflex. Kind of like starting the bench press, straight off the chest without the descent. Just don't bounce the weight off the floor during reps 2-5. Let it settle and then pull again.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Lets round up from the kilos and say your doing 300x5 to make it easy here, adjust to kilos as needed.

135 2x5
    205x2
    250x1
    300x5

250 is around 80 percent of your top set, which is plenty. Everyone is different but its worth a shot brother.

A huge amount of lifters burn out on warmups, a warmup is just that...a WARM up. I have seen Gary Frank do somewhere around 440 or so for one rep and open up with well over 800, yes it was a full meet but it proves the point that you can warm up quick (his squats warmed him up).

Semper Fi
    Sgt Rock
    USMC

I rarely go over 515x1 and open with 700-715 and feel plenty warmed up

Also, since he is doing Rippetoe's, he will have already warmed up for squats and squatted 3x5, when he starts the deadlifts.
    Last edited by noahfor123; 03-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of less volume for the warmup, ending with 80% of the 5 rep max for just one rep sounds good, just to get used to that weight.

noahfor123: I've kinda modified the rippetoe routine... On deadlift days I start with the deadlift, and tend to miss the squats. I really don't seem able to give both lifts my all on the same day. Plus I'm mainly focusing on the deadlift at the mo, I'm enjoying trying my best to increase this lift.

Quick question: when should I start using a belt for deadlifting? I'm now up to 140kg for 4 reps, its a max effort, and just wondered if I should be using a belt?

Cheers