Page 1 of 251 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie's Thread - Adventures of a Trainer

Rookie's Thread - Adventures of a Trainer

Ok, so I got my first year of training in, I'm still a rookie at this and need to continue to experiment and find out what will and won't work for me. I'm hoping this journal will help me figure that out. If anyone peeks and wants to offer helpful opinions , advice or just comments, please do.

Goals:

I'm training for muscle size and lower BF. I'll train for strength just to help out the first goal but I'm not specifically trying to do any powerlifting. I've just finished a mild(?) bulking session and have added cardio to start my cutting session.

Training:

Iíve tried a number of splits, 3 day and 4 day in the past and I'm finding that 3 days works best for my schedule at the moment. Iíve never done a split like the WBB routines, so since Iím posting a journal here at WBB, I figure that I might as well give them a try. So Iíll start with workout one for 8 to 12 weeks. I generally give my routines 2 to 3 months to see if something works or not. I will however, sub in various exercises as the weeks progress sometimes just try something new.

So my current routine will look like this:

Sat - AM: Chest & Back
    Mon - PM: Legs
    Wed - PM: Arms & Shoulders

My lifts are pretty sad however, they have progressed over time and I'll be looking forward to some added improvements with this new routine.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-20-2004 at 01:10 PM.

March 15, 2002

Cardio:

None

Training. Chest / Back / Traps Ė 1hr 10mins

I forgot to get the WBB routine prior to Friday night and for some reason I was getting an error message back from the site. So, I guessed the routine based on what I remembered. I always do a little cardio when I first get in to up the heart rate and warm up the muscles, then my first exercise of the body part I will do 2 warmup sets which I have not listed.

LDBP: 55*10, 65*6,5,6
    IDBP: 50*4,8,6
    DIPS: BW-70*10, -50*9, -30*5

I generally don't do BBP since my shoulder bugs me and I find DBP easier on my shoulder. This is the first time doing dips. Again, usually my shoulder doesn't last however, I may have nursed it enough.

Pullups: BW-50*10,7
    Pulldwns: 120*7,6
    DBRows: 70*8,75*6,8

I didn't like this back section and will modify the exercises next session.

BBShrugs: 135*15, 225*8,9, 245*8
    DBShrugs: 45*31,20

Decided to add in the DB's at the last moment to get a burn in the traps.

Overall Comments

I liked doing chest and back together. My chest was sore today, probably from the dips and I could also feel that I worked my traps well.

March 18, 2002

Cardio: 45mins

Decided to do a fair bit of cardio today - mid afternoon. Normally I do my cardio in the morning, however, we were having a mini-triathalong at the fitness centre at work. It amounts to 15 min cycling (set resistance), 15 mins rowing and 15 min running. Your allowed a 3 min rest between exercises. The rowing and running you can set your own pace and the total distance travelled wins. Anyway, I was quite beat after this, however I did manage to complete it. I won't know until next Monday how I faired compared to others. I'm hoping to set this as a gauge for each year just to see how my cardio is doing overall.

Training. Legs Ė 55mins

I was hoping that I didn't over do it too much on the earlier cardio and that I recovered sufficiently. I felt a stiffness in my legs as I warmed them up on the ellipical machine but I pushed forward. (below shows work sets only)

Squats: 175x6, 6
    Hack Squats: 90x6, 10, 110x6
    Seated Leg Curls: 125x6, 6
    Stiff-leg Dead Lifts: 185x6, 6
    Standing Calf Raises: 200x14, 14, 220x12, 12

I normally do smith squats, however, today it was busy so I resorted to doing the free standing squats. I was surprised that I had more control over the squats (ATF - or as close as my a*s will go) then I did 3 months ago.

This was the first time doing Hack Squats (generally went with leg presses after squats) and I found it a lot more difficult getting the correct motion going. I fumbled with the 90lbs on the first 4 reps and then did 6. After doing an additional 10, I decided that that wasn't enough and increased the weight.

I had just started doing SLDL's on back day about a month ago an never really felt the exercise in my hams. I focused today more on how I think this was supposed to be and thus I really did feel an extra something there. We'll see if my back feels it tomorrow or not.

Overall Comments

Good work out, less sets then i usually do and so I was out in under an hour. My legs definitely feel like they have had workout today. I'm expecting some soreness tomorrow.

I off to the home of the brave and land of the free tomorrow. I hoping that the hotel that I staying at has some sort of gym so I can do arm and shoulder work on Wed. Maybe while I down south of here, I can see what supps are available that we can't get here in Canada.

March 19, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

None

Sleep

5 hours

Overall Comments

I felt great after yesterday's workout. Quads felt some what sore by mid afternoon. My butt was very very sore this evening - DOMS big time.

Weight = 173 (unofficial)
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-20-2002 at 09:56 PM.

March 20th, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

None

Sleep

2 hours

Overall Comments

I ended staying up all night trying to finish off some work for today. This is not going to help me recover or grow. Good thing I slept a little bit yesterday travelling. Unfortunately, this was suppose to be my Shoulder and Arm day. I was out late again and I will need move that to tomorrow instead. I've checked out the hotel's facilities, not great - no free weights, but I think I can do some exercises. If I get time I might check out a local gym instead.

rookiebldr-
    Good luck man trying to keep up with your training/diet while away from home. Sh*t can get really tough at times looking for a gym and food and everything like that.

MonStar-
    Thanks for inaugrating my journal with your post. Yes your right it can be tough but I must, must persevere. Actually, I did find a gym, however, I was just too tied after dinner to bother exercising anywhere else other than at the hotel.

Food is another thing, protein bars work wonders for snacks during meetings and all I need is a shaker cup and a bag of protein for morning and evening fixes. It would be tough with the NHE diet that you were on, most places want to fill you up with lots of carbs.

March 21st, 2002

Cardio

None

Training - 45 mins

Ended up using the equipment at the hotel (note to self, need to stay at better hotels) It was an old Universal station - at least they had more than just cardio stuff.

Since some of the weights and pulleys need some oil and adjustments, I don't think that numbers were particularly accurate. In addition, these universal have something called variable resistance - i.e. they start at a resistance and then increase as you do the movement. On the variable resistance machine I have coded it as "start resistance - ending resistance".

Military Press: 89-120 x 7, 6, 6
    Laterial Raises: 10 x 10, 20 x 10, 10
    Upright Rows: 50 x 10, 70 x 6

Narrow Grip Bench Press: 77-104 x 10, 95-128 x 10
    Tricep Pushdowns: 50 x 7, 10

Cable Curls: 40 x 10, 10, 50 x 10
    Rev Cable Curls: 30 x 10

Sleep

5 hours

Overall Comments

I'll get a better idea of this routine next week when I get into my regular gym and I'm better rested. This seem too short today. Anyway, time for sleep.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-21-2002 at 10:17 PM.

rookiebldr-
    Man you should seriously try to increase your amount of sleep. I know that youre on vacation/business but sleep is really important. My sleep is a f*cking joke lately too, so its all good. Hey man some workout is a lot better than no workout at all. I gotta hand it to you bro, if I was on vacation I would be off my diet and training..

Monstar-
    I'm actually on business and I needed to do put some presentations together. I try not to let business stop my workouts, however, sometimes I does. The diet is not perfect when away since most lunches are sandwiches and usually don't have a enough protein them however, I try and maintain with protein powders and bars.

Friday, March 22nd, 2002

Cardio

None - needed the sleep to much to get up early and do any cardio today.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

6 hours

Overall Comments

Busy day overall. As MonStar has pointed out, I need to get more sleep, finally home and will be able to sleep in. I've skipped the cardio too much this week. Next week has got to different, I knew this was going to be a bad week and was planning to take it as a complete rest week. That end-up occuring one week earlier so I decided to start this routine early. Oh well, the new week starts on Saturday.

Saturday, March 23, 2002

Cardio

None

Training - 50 mins

Chest and Back day

Since I usually exercise early on Sunday or Saturday, I can usually use any piece of equipment that I want. Today I decided to go around 9:00pm and low and behold every bench was full. Since I knew I would be short on time, I switched flat dumbbell presses for HS iso flat presses since that station was free.

HS Iso Flat Press: 70 x 10, 80 x 6, 4, 5
    Incline Dumbbell Presses: 50 x 8, 7
    DIPS: BW - 30 x 7, BW - 20 x 6

It has been awhile since I had done the ISO presses and I knew that I could do heavier weights. Taking the stabilzer muscles out of action with this press, allowed me to increase by 15lbs per side. Still need to get the hang of the dips, goal will be to get to body weight for 6-8 reps.

Pulldowns: 130 x 8, 7
    Deadlifts: 135 x 9, 185 x 6, 6
    T-bar Rows: 80 x 7, 7

I was really rushed for time on my back and did not feel good about it at all. Switched to T-bars just because it was right next to the deadlift station and I could set up between deadlift sets. I didn't rest between sets nearly long enough and I think I just getting out of breath between sets. No more late Saturday nights. On the up side, this was the first time doing deadlifts. I've done SLDL before(4 or 5 times), but I'll need to get the ROM going on the deadlifts to see how they are going to progress.

Barbell Shrugs: 180 x 10, 250 x 10, 180 x 15

I was out time to do anymore.

Sleep

9 hours - Yippee

Overall Comments

I normally get up early for my workout on Saturday, however I really needed the sleep. I think the deadlifts will really help, I was definitely out of breath doing them. I hope they are not occuring too close to doing the stiff legged deadlifts on Monday.

Weight = 172 (unofficial) Goal = 155-160
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-24-2002 at 09:22 PM.

Sunday, March 24, 2002

Cardio

None

Training

Rest day

Sleep

9 hours

Overall Comments

Back and traps were a little sore today. I was somewhat surprised since I didn't think that I had done that much yesterday. Chest unfortunately was not sore. I definitely need to put more into it next week.

Monday, March 25, 2002

Sleep

6 hours

Cardio:

None - Had to get up early this morning for a meeting so I just managed to get my leg day in.

Training. Legs Ė 45mins

I decided to train this afternoon instead of this evening - had a prior committment so once again I was rushed to get everything done. I managed to complete in 45 mins. I think this is way too rushed but we will see. I'm usually the guy still in the gym while other come and go. Instead, today I was in and out while others were still there - seems odd some how.

I saw someone else identify their personal best using an (!) behind their sets so I thought I would add it here.

Squats: 155 x 7, 6

The squats s*cked big time. My knees were wobbly and over over the place and I didn't fee that I could lift straight up. I don't know what happened, maybe I was just wimping out. I was warming up with lighter weights and just didn't feel comfortable upping the weight.

Hack Squats: 110 x 8, 130 x 7(!)

I still couldn't get comfortable with the hack squats and tried a number of foot positions to see if that made difference. I still don't think I have a full ROM for these.

Seated Leg Curls: 120 x 8, 130 x 6(!)

Miscalculated on the first set and thus was determined to up the weight by 5 over PB for the second.

Stiff-leg Dead Lifts: 185 x 6, 6

This was tough. I felt this in my back as well as my hams. I know my back is going to be sore from doing DL on Sat and SLDL on Mon but we will give it a couple more weeks.

Standing Calf Raises: 200 x 19, 240 x 10, 10, 10(!)

Tried to concentrate on the full extension of the calf muscle on this and not just pushing the weight. One calf seems more sore than the other. I may need to switch to single calf raises to ensure that each gets a direct workout.

Overall Comments

Quick workout, felt rushed again and out of breath. I settled down later in the workout and focused more on the muscle being worked. I should have added an extra 10lbs to the SLDL, I'm sure that I could got 6 reps out of that increase. Needed to take the ECA earlier, I think it kicked in while doing the leg curls.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to drink my post workout drink, had to settle with a protein bar instead. Nutritionally today was bad - wine tasting or actually a Port tasting and dinner with the guys. Tomorrow is another day.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-25-2002 at 10:17 PM.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    hey, read my article on the front of WBB if you ain't already, I think it could help. And are you eating enough? that coudl be holding you back.

Acc-
    I hope that wasn't just a shameless plug to have your article re-read. LOL

Actually, I did just now, re-read your article. I have made simular mistakes, which is exactly why I am following the WBB routines and trying to keep the volume low. I need to experiment with the intensity since I suspect that I haven't quite got it yet. I use to find that with more sets I had more opportunity to get the correct the intensity correct. Or not?

As far as diet, I keeping around 2500 calories, ~250 protein. This last week or so wasn't watched as carefully since I've done a bit more drinking than I should have. I'll post a typical nutritional day a little later.

Thanks for reading and the pointer.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    hmmmm, maybe up the calories by a couple hundred, that is rather low for someone who works out. 2500 is about average for someone who's sedentary.

i eat about 2500 calories (actually less)......i have been losing fat at 1lb/wk for about 70 days now. course my goal it to cut some fat.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

At the moment, I'm trying to walk a fine line between cutting and maintain my hard earned muscle. At about 3000 I gain, 2000 I can lose, however, I hoping by adding in some cardio (I hate cardio ) I'll be able to slowly lose just the fat. We'll see in a couple weeks when I get fat tested and measured again.

Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Cardio

20 mins stationary bike.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

6 hours

Overall Comments

Well, I was sore from yesterday's leg workout. This is a good thing. I know I'm working some areas that had been lagging.

Accipiter-
    I re-looked at my log the last time dieted, and your probably right. I was still losing at 2200, however I had really upped my cardio in addition to working out about 4 days a week at 1.5 hours a sessions. I definitely need to go on another bulking program but I want to drop some BF to give myself some room to go back up. I plan on putting a bit more rigure in calculating my calories. I know typically what it works out to, however, I am probably cheating myself more days than I should be either up or down.

Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Sleep

6 hours

Soreness

Quads and butt is still sore.

Cardio:

20 mins on Stationary Bike - 6:30am I'm planning on working this up to 30 mins. I also did my 4 sets of abs crunches after the cardio.

Training. Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps Ė 60mins

Ah, back to my regular schedule. Was finally able to fit in the routine closer to the WBB #1. I substituted ISO HS presses for military presses in a rack - basically I didn't want to play with a new exercise tonight so I did one I was familar with.

HS ISO Shoulder Press: 55 x 11, 70 x 6 (!)

Ok, clearly order has a lot to do with the amount that I can lift. Trying to take some of the direction from this forum, I warmed up the shoulders with some light weight not to failure (this is a departure from the way I used to lift). Also, I've been training shoulders after chest so tonight shoulders are first up and 55 per side was too light, so I jumped to 70. I go for more next week to make sure that I hit my heavest first.

Seated Dumbbell Press: 40 x 6, 6

I haven't done these in a while. I could tell that with out the leverage and having to use more stablizer muscles that these were going to be tough. I started out with 50's and tries one press. Couldn't get proper form. So I dropped to 40's and did a slow rise and return.

Laterial Raises: 20 x 9 D 15 x 4, 20 x 7 D 15 x 6

I couldn't quite get 10 reps out and I was concerned that on the last 1 or 2 reps that I wasn't getting the best contraction on the shoulder so I immediately dropped the weight to 15's and rep'd out a few more. My shoulders felt pumped now. On to Tris.

Close Grip Bench Presses: 90 x 7, 8

Time to use the regular BB bench instead of the preset weights.

French Press: 60 x 7, 6

Lack luster I know, however, I don't feel somehow right doing this exercise - never had. It's simular to kick backs, I can't seem to get the motion correct to really knock the sh*t out the triceps. These were slow and in control.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 7N, 7N

Nearing the end of the routine so I did the last rep as a neg. Really felt good. I've been practicing to make sure that there is no back involved in the curl, upper arms are parellel to the body the whole time and only bend at the elbows. Form was great.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10

Enough said.

Reverse Curls: 50 x 8, 8

I like these, they hit the forearms and really pumps the arm. Oh well, I'm done.

Overall Comments

Great workout, didn't feel rushed. I really like doing shoulders and arms together.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-28-2002 at 10:14 PM.

Thursday, March 28, 2002

Sleep

4 hours

Cardio

none

Training

Rest day

Overall Comments

I'm beat, I should be in bed getting some sleep. At least tomorrow, I get to sleep in.

Friday, March 29, 2002

Cardio

None.

Training

Rest day

Sleep

9 hours - finally some sleep, good thing that there are days off.

Overall Comments

None
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-30-2002 at 05:13 AM.

Saturday, March 30, 2002

Starting week 3 of the new routine.

Sleep
    • 5.5 hours

Soreness
    • Absolutely nothing.

Cardio:
    • none - I hate cardio!!!

Training: Chest and Back Ė 70 mins

• Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 4, 70 x 5 D 60 x 2 (!)

I love it, I finally hit 70lbs and although I could only get 4 reps first time, 5 the second it was still great. I felt steady all the way up and down - really squeezed the chest at the top.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 6, 6(!)

After upping my weight on the flat press, I decided to up it on the inclines as well. No problem. I need to push myself more it seems to work.

DIPS: BW - 10 x 5, 6 (!)

Again I increased the weight - soon I'll be doing my body weight. I'm also a few pounds heavier this week.

Chins: BW - 30 x 5, 5

I'm still not impressed with this exercise but I'll stick it out for a few more weeks to get the hang of it. Hopefully I'll soon be a body weight on this one as well. It might be easier if I just lose some weight.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 6, 7 (!)

I think I'm getting the hang of this exercise. I'm going to have to find someone at my gym that actually does this exercise and have them check my form. It's not going to be easy since no one seems to ever use the deadlift platform.

T-Bar Rows: 90 x 8, 8 (!)

I really have no idea how much weight I'm actually lifting. I could be 135?. I put two plates on, however, there is a certain amount of weight in the bar that I'm lifting as well as the plates. I looked all over the machine to see what the starting resistance was but found nothing and their web site does not list the amount of weight on the machine. Here is an image if anyone is interested.

Cybex Plate Loaded T-bar

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 245 x 8, 255 x 8(!)

Again I increased my weights on this exercise as well. the 225 for 10 was really just a warm up and not to failure. I really felt good after the 245 for 8 and knew that I could add a couple of nickels to squeeze out more. I was surprised that I could hit 8 reps.

Overall Comments

Will finish entering this later, I gotta go... I'm back now. This was a great workout today. I felt stronger and definitely pushed myself more. I can hardly wait until next week.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-30-2002 at 07:13 PM.