Page 10 of 251 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie's Thread - Adventures of a Trainer

Monday, June 10, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II.

For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: nothing

Cardio: none.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal w/ Raisins
      M2: Protein Bar
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk
      M4: Protein Bar
      M5: Chicken, rice, brocolli, Basken & Robbins Pinapple Sherbet (only 136 cals per scoop).
      M6: Post Workout Shake

weight: ~165.0

Training: Legs - 50 mins
    • Ok, I managed to get through this workout just great. Does that mean I didn't push myself hard enough. I felt much better going into this than my previous two outings for legs on this routine. I decided not to drink a protein drink just prior to the workout and I didn't take my EC either. I did drink a gatorade just before the trip to the gym - hopefully to give my some energy.

Smith Leg Squat: 3 wup sets, 115 x 22

Only one pause at 15 plus I squeezed out an extra two sets. I going up next week on this.

45 degree Leg Press: 260 x 21(!)

This felt much better. I upped the weight by 10 lbs and this felt really easy to push until rep 15, then a tougher until 19, then two more reps. Really good form. Felt great after this set.

Seated Leg Extension: 105 x 18 (!)

Yea, no nausea. And this felt really good upping the weight and get a good 18 reps out. Need to up this next week as well.

Seated Hamstring Curls: 120 x 11, 10

Two solid sets.

Standing Calf Raises: 200 x 25, 18
      Seated Calf Raises: 70 x 28, 14

I alternated these two exercises. This was not a superset since I waited between each exercise, however this really killed my calves.

Overall Comments

Great workout. Diet is low but at least now I may be losing a bit more weight. Will need to get my BF checked this week. Hard to believe that it is time again.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:12 PM.

Tuesday, June 11, 2002

Week 3 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Soreness: nope - I was hoping for some in my legs but I guess next week's workout will need to be more intense.

Cardio: Nothing here today either.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein shake w/ milk & flax, oatmeal w/ raisins 509 cals (60g P, 13g F, 35g C)
      M2: Premier Protein Bar 281 cals (30g P, 8g F, 24g C)
      M3: Cottage Cheese, PB on white bread, yogurt 485 cals (39g P, 15g F, 53g C)
      M4: Yogurt 174 cals (6g P, 4g F, 30g C)
      M5: Pasta with trout & sundried Pesto 375 cals (32g P, 8g F, 42g C)
      M6: Cottage Cheese, Milk 246 cals (36g P, 3g F, 20g C)

Totals: 2070 Cals (203g P 39%, 50g F 21%, 204g C 40%)

I was home most of the day and was not in my regular routine for meals. Low on meal 4 thus total cals came in 100-150 below what I had been doing. This may be good, since I'm loosing a bit more weight staying around 2000-2100.

weight: ~164.0

Training: Rest Day
    Overall Comments

Not a bad day, missed my cardio workout since I didn't get into work. I had planned to stay home and get some work done here as well as get my car fixed. You see, it would appear that our drivers here in beautiful Ontario, love to deposit large plastic covers (about as wide as my hood to my car and half as long) in the middle of our expressways. Unfortunately, some trucks roll over them while they are trying to avoid said plastic covers. Sometimes these trucks do a very good job of catching a small piece of the covers, just enough it would appear, to cause them to take flight. These covers then fly like the wind through the air and land on my car. Smash goes the windshield and scrap goes the paint.

Oh well, the joys of owning a car.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:12 PM.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    45 degree Leg Press: 260 x 21(!)

This felt much better. I upped the weight by 10 lbs and this felt really easy to push until rep 15, then a tougher until 19, then two more reps. Really good form. Felt great after this set.

Seated Leg Extension: 105 x 18 (!)

Yea, no nausea. And this felt really good upping the weight and get a good 18 reps out. Need to up this next week as well.
    Looking good man nice strength increases here bro. Really impressive. Keep up the hard work. 18 reps on the leg extensions huh? Why so many? Ever considered increasing the weight and going for lower reps?

MS

Originally posted by MonStar

Looking good man nice strength increases here bro. Really impressive. Keep up the hard work. 18 reps on the leg extensions huh? Why so many? Ever considered increasing the weight and going for lower reps?

MS
    LOL, I just posted in your journal about the lower reps, sort of asking the same question in reverse. Now I see you've posted in mine asking about the high reps.

Yes your right, I wasn't expecting to go that high. I felt so much better this time out than my last two leg days and I had increased the weight a little over the last time to compensate. However, not enough. (*and I sometimes wonder why I don't progress -duh *)

My current routine for legs looks like this:

Quads/glutes:
    ..............Squat 1 set x 20 reps
    ........Leg Press 1 set x 20 reps
    Leg Extensions 1 set x 15 reps

hams:
    ..........Leg curls 2 sets x 10 reps.

Calves:
    Standing Calf Raises 1 set x 25 reps
    ...Seated Calf Raises 1 set x 25 reps

This current routine is more of a higher rep routine to offset the lower rep routine that I was doing previously. I would like to try and get the exercises so that the max I do is the reps indicated above. So I will definitely be increasing the weights next week.
    My legs haven't even been sore these past two days - of course not that is any indication that my workout was poor.

Thanks for the suggestion.

LArge plastic covers on the express way?! LMAO!

Anyhoo looks like youve been doing well.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Nah rookiebldr, that looks good.

Higher reps I think work pretty well for your legs for hypertrophy reasons. I mean I have never really wanted to pack on a LOT of size to my legs believe it or not. A lot of guys think that my thighs are tiny (24") but I dont think theyre out of proportion at all.

MS

Orange357-
    Yea, it was pretty funny. I've replaced the windshield and I am waiting for a quote back on the rest of the car - with my luck, I won't get the car repainted by the insurance company. Things are looking better, although, last night's shoulder presses were duds. More to come on that.

Monstar-
    Well, lets see if the higher reps do anything. I'll need to keep consistent for a some time to see this improvement. The last 3-weeks have not been too consistent so it's really been a waste of a month. 24" legs, eh. I'm at 22" and I hope it I'll be satisfied with 24 when and if I reach that size - mind you, you have lower bf than I.

BTW, I had my body fat tested today. Maybe I should look at doing it less often since depression always sets in after I have it done. The upside, I lost weight and some fat, downside I also lost and some f*ckn muscle. What the f*ck do I need to do to create muscle.

Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II.
    For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Soreness: nope, nothing here

Cardio: none - missed it yesterday

Diet:

Seemed like a lot of protein bars today. I was home in the morning and missed eating properly for lunch.
    • M1: Protein Shake w / flax, Oatmeal w/raisins - 620 cals (61p, 20f, 46c)
      M2: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M3: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M4: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M5: Crabby Joe's Thai Salmon, salad w/basmic vinagrette & chicken breast - 483 cals (75p, 16f, 6c)
      M6: Gatorade, Post Workout Shake - 560 cals (47p, 3f, 85c)

Total: 2542 cals (246 protein 39%, 54 fat 18% , 260 carbs 41%)

weight: 165.0

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 55 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Seated Shoulder Press: 45 x 3, 40 x 6, 4
      Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 4, 15 x 6, 4
      Dumbell Front Raises: 15 x 6, 6, 7

These three exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. I warmed up on the seated shoulder press with 25 x 6, 25 x 6, 40 x 6. The 40 for 6 seem not to difficult so I went for 50lb dumbells and couldn't even move it up for one rep. I had done 50 or reps on May 12 and since the 40's didn't seem all that bad, I went with the 50's. Nope no luck! Then you see the weak lifts above. Not a good day for shoulders.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 9, 10

No real increases since last week but nice sets never the less.

Alternating Seated Dumbell Curls: 30 x 10, 6

Curls felt better this time. Good form and no back movement. However, these were suppose to be inclined instead up upright.

Tricep Dips: BW x 9, 7

Same as last time.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 30 x 9, 7 D 25 x 6 D 20 x 7

Again nice solid curls, good form. Finished off with a dropped set .

Overall Comments

Not a good shoulder workout but good arm day.

On the car front, sounds like it's ready (they left a message) so that means not sufficient damage to warant a new paint job.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:13 PM.

Thrusday, June 13, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours
    Soreness: forearm - go figure

Cardio: Nothing here today either.

Diet: not bad - a little low.

Overall Comments

Not to much exciting. Just busy with work.

Friday, June 14, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours
    Soreness: Shoulders - hope it doesn't affect chest tomorrow.

Cardio: Nothing here today either - too busy at work.

Diet: good - but need to drink more water.

Overall Comments

none.

Soreness: Shoulders - hope it doesn't affect chest tomorrow.
    This is why I dropped OH pressing bro. My front delts would be sore when I had to train my chest. I really think that it negatively effected my chest workouts and chest poundages ya know? Now my split looks like this.

• 1 - chest, tris + FRONT delts
      2 - back, bis, forearms + REAR delts
      3 - off
      4 - quads, hams, calves
      5 - traps, abs + SIDE delts
      6 - off
      7 - off

This way all 3 heads of my delts get hit just not all on one day ya know? I think that this is the best way to go.

MS

MonStar-

Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming. It's good to see your new split as well all in one spot. I had been wondering what it was and I wasn't sure if you had updated your routine page. I may take your suggestion if my shoulder gives me too much grief.

OH pressing, for me tends to really give my shoulder a workout where I think my form is poorer on the laterial and front raises. I do like the HS ISO Shoulder Press machines, since I can get larger poundages that really stresses the delts and it's safer. Dumbell presses however, I feel work more stabilizer muscles which I also need work on.

The shoulder was sore in a good way, so not the rotator cuff (as before). I felt that I had actually stressed the muscles some. The split that I have now, along with the one before has really made a difference in my shoulder and chest - albeit a small difference. As I continue to cut, I am hoping that they will be more noticable as they tie into my arm muscles and traps - I can actually start to see indentations between the various heads as well as on what I think is the medial head. Although small, I am hoping for the summer, that I will have some semblance of proportion once I loose about 2 inches around the waist.

As I read your earlier threads, you have well develop shoulders already and your priority will be on other areas that you want to focus on. My next priority will be on my pretty pathetic arms, but I want to wait until my bulking cycle when I'll add some andro to the bulking session and I am contempating doing Chris' arm routine - I laugh at being able to actually increase arm size by 1/2 an inch in a month. But it's worth a try.

Anyway all was well on my chest and back routine today. I was energized, pumped and ready for the workout. It was f*cking great in the gym and I finally felt that I was at full strength. My deads surprised the living sh*t out of me. I'll post the results later, since it's my b-day today and I got to go out.

Happy birthday rookiebldr! Take a day off from dieting, this is only once per year...

MS

Thanks MonStar, I did. scotch, lots of wine, port, carpaccio, swordfish, rice and creme brulee. All good stuff and full of protein.

MonStar-

My next priority will be on my pretty pathetic arms, but I want to wait until my bulking cycle when I'll add some andro to the bulking session and I am contempating doing Chris' arm routine - I laugh at being able to actually increase arm size by 1/2 an inch in a month. But it's worth a try.

Join the club...

Or you could try my HST-Arnold inspired insanity...we'll have to see how it works for me. So far I'm really enjoying it; I've added 1/2 inch in two weeks, but it's probalby just increased glycogen/temporary sarcoplasmic growth and not 'real' muscle. Could always give Poliquin's One Day Arm Cure a try too. Most people will say it couldn't possibly work, but I actually added about 1/4" inch in a day to my arms(It's pretty un-fun, though.)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Blood&Iron-
    I'll be watching your progress. I didn't think that you had been prioritizing you arms? So, if you have added a 1/2 inch in two weeks then maybe I'll give that a try. At this point, I'll take any growth as long as it doesn't go away, scaroplasmic or otherwise. (I can't believe that your glycogen levels were that low to show that increase - must be muscle ) Wait, you've been going to the gym twice a day - I guess you got to work hard to see results.

1/4" in one day? ah ah. Must be the pump. I have strived for a year to put on an inch - well maybe strived is only in my mind since my technique has not yielded much results.

Ah f*ck, too many choices and I'm just too impatience.

JT.

P.S. thanks for checking in and offering some hope.

Blood&Iron-
    I'll be watching your progress. I didn't think that you had been prioritizing you arms? So, if you have added a 1/2 inch in two weeks then maybe I'll give that a try. At this point, I'll take any growth as long as it doesn't go away, scaroplasmic or otherwise. (I can't believe that your glycogen levels were that low to show that increase - must be muscle ) Wait, you've been going to the gym twice a day - I guess you got to work hard to see results.
    Yeah, the whole point of my routine is to bring my arms and shoulders up a little. FYI my routine could easily been adapted to once a day, though it'd still be six days a week. It's only twice a day on M-W-F. If you consolidated the chest/back and leg workouts into one, it'd work just as well. T-TH-F are shoulders/arms. Basically, this means I hit arms directly or indirectly every day. Since it's HST-based, thought, I'm not yet feeling drained or overtrained. It's fun, which for me was half the point I gave the routine a shot.

1/4" in one day? ah ah. Must be the pump. I have strived for a year to put on an inch - well maybe strived is only in my mind since my technique has not yielded much results.

That's what most people insist, but I was actually referring to long term growth. A lot of people have said they got nothing out of the routine, or that their arms even shrunk a little. 1/4" is just my personal result.

Ah f*ck, too many choices and I'm just too impatience.

JT.

P.S. thanks for checking in and offering some hope.

All of us bicep-challenged individuals have to stick together.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 06-16-2002 at 10:45 AM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Saturday, June 15, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 7 hours

Soreness: none

Cardio: nada.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake 686cal (60p, 4f, 101c)
      M3: Protein Bar, cottage cheese.
      M4: lots of drinking and eating.

weight: 165

Training: Chest and Back - 70 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Felt pretty good going in and felt great after. Gave myself time to wake up this morning and digest some food.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 55 x 10.5(!), 6

I was feeling pretty strong after two warm up sets so went to the 55's. Felt great, just couldn't get that last 1/2 rep up.

Close Grip Chins: -20 x 9(!), 6

I do believe my loss of weight seems to be helping out on this one. Still I haven't lost 10 pounds since last week - only 3 since last month. The last rep on set 1 was really tough, could barely get my chin up. I can finally see bodyweight only chins coming soon.

Dumbbell flies: 35 x 9, 6

Although not personal best yet, but these were definitely back up or near to that.

Deadlifts: [/color=red]215 x 10(!)[/color], 6

Wow. I've had done 215 previously on the WBB #1 routine but never for 10 reps. I finally feel that I back on to increasing some weights. I wasn't as out of breath this time and my grip hung on.

Declined Dumbbell Presses: 55 x 12, 6

The first set was way too easy. I miss judged and used the 55's when I could have used the 60's - next week.

Hammer Strength Iso Row (parallel grip, non-alternating): 70 x 14, 90 x 12

I hadn't done these in a while and couldn't find my entry in the journal for the last time. I guess I should have added still more weight.

Barbell Dumbbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 10

Nice set of shrugs to finish the day off. I though of doing a bit more such as kneeling but it was time to go home.

Overall Comments

Great work out.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:14 PM.

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Yeah, the whole point of my routine is to bring my arms and shoulders up a little. FYI my routine could easily been adapted to once a day, though it'd still be six days a week. It's only twice a day on M-W-F. If you consolidated the chest/back and leg workouts into one, it'd work just as well. T-TH-F are shoulders/arms. Basically, this means I hit arms directly or indirectly every day. Since it's HST-based, thought, I'm not yet feeling drained or overtrained. It's fun, which for me was half the point I gave the routine a shot.
    Somehow I missed the fact that it was 6 days. I had been following your journal and new you had changed it from HST to this new routine to bring back that fun aspect. If I used both gyms, then I may be able to fit in the 6 days a week (1 session per day). I also need to understand the amount of effort you apply to the lifts on your non-max / non-failure lifts. My failure lifts may not be what is others deem failure, however, I feel I do go to the point where I can't get one more rep up past a particular sticking point. Anything less than that seem like warm-ups.

Your routine, like Chris' seem to have at least one thing in common. Hit arms alot in the week to give them the priority. One of the reasons I liked the WBB routines was that arms did get their own day plus got hit again indirectly on the chest / back day. This just didn't help as much while dieting.

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

All of us bicep-challenged individuals have to stick together.
    Absolutely. I'll have to look in your journal to see if you've started you 1-test / 4ad cycle yet. Good luck on that, although I don't think I could stop after 2 weeks if I started seeing results.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 55 x 10.5(!), 6

Close Grip Chins: -20 x 9(!), 6

Deadlifts: 215 x 10(!), 6
    Awesome strength man!! Nice increases and all that strength is really soaring looking awesome man, keep it up bro!

MS

Sunday, June 16, 2002

Week 4 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 8 hours
    Soreness: little bit in the chest.

Cardio: bahaha - Father's day.

Diet:
    • M1: poor - father's day. Daughter wanted to make daddy breakfast so lots of pancakes - no protein to speak of. She doesn't know how to mix up my shakes yet.

M2: tuna, whole wheat bread.
      M3: Steak, rice, broccoli, ice cream
      M4: Protein shake w/ milk & Flax

Overall Comments

not much happening today.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:15 PM.

Monday, June 17, 2002

Week 4 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 4 hours - and not a very good 4 hours either.
    Soreness: none

Cardio: nope not today either.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein shake w/ milk & flax, oatmeal.
      M2: BioProtein Bar
      M3: Sliced steak, ww bread, milk
      M4: Cottage cheese, apple
      M5: Pasta w/ Tomatoes & Tuna
      M6: Protein shake w/ milk & flax

weight: ~166.0

Overall Comments

Should have been leg day but too much to do, need to go into work really early and it's golf day tomorrow. I regret this later due to my inconsistency with my workouts but you got to do what you got to do.

I need to post my stat update from my BF test, but, I don't have the results handy. Anyway from what I remember, old method same as last month - 22% , new method down 1% - 16%. The old method uses only 3 sites, one of which the trainer couldn't get an accurate read last month but did this month. So last month's test should have been higher. Anyway, pleased that it is still going down, although by the numbers I lost about 1lb of muscle tuttut
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:15 PM.

Ok, time to move on and post my bodyfat results. Actually had them on my other computer which I didn't have home last night - so now I can post them. I'll also post just the results on the stats page to keep a running total.

I have convinced my Fitness Instr. at my gym at work to continue to do a 8 point test primarily to see how all parts of my body are changing. This months results are generally lower than last month - one point went up, however this was primarily due to the workout that I had just had prior to having the test done. (I had done 20 mins of rowing and this seemed to have pumped up my tricep enough that she could hardly get a reading. This month, no rowing and she had no difficulty getting a reading. She also noted that since I had lost a bit of BF, some of my folds would be easier to grab and may contribute to a thicker pinch. Oh well. Here are the results (in mm) from the last 3 months.

[code]

Site April May June

Chest 9.4 8.7 7.4
    Abdomen 22.3 21.0 23.2
    Thigh 11.4 12.6 10.4
    Triceps 11.0 8.7 10.0
    Biceps 4.4 5.2 4.5
    Subscapular 19.1 18.7 17.2
    Suprailliac 19.0 17.4 17.4
    Axilla 22.0 20.4 17.8
    Calf 7.0 5.4 6.4

7 Site Method 18.4% 17.5% 16.9%
    Avg % BF 16.8 16.2 15.9
    Median % BF 18.0 16.9 16.3
    Weight 172 168 165

[/code]

I also get the Fitness Instructor to measure my body as well to get a more consistent and un-bias measurement. She thinks it's great when my measurements go down since I'm losing bf and they should go down. Unfortunately this causes me much consternation since I always want the BF to go down, but my measurements (except waist) to go up. Oh well. Current stats are: chest-39.3, waist-35.5, hips-38.8, legs-22, arms-14.

Some observations on the above BF measurements. 1) My waist went down by 1" from May to June. Down 2" since March. However, my ab front site increased while my ab side (suprailiac) stayed the same. 2) As I mentioned earlier, my tricep went down and then up. It actually decreased a little over the two months and it was just difficult to get an acurate reading. 3) I am also carrying a far bit of body fat around the waist and back, unfortunately the worst place to cary it from a health perspective, but I'll continue to cut until these sites are down significantly. Last summer, my suprailiac measurement was down to 11.4 and subscapular was down to 15.6 at their lowest point with a waist of 34.5 inches. This was also the place where fat was added first when I started bulking - go figure.

Anyway, I know that this is way to much analysis, but it is one of the ways that I have been measuring my progress or lack there of.

Nice bf% drop man, keep it up. You going to ever go ahead with HST or are you still not sure?

MS

Originally posted by MonStar
    Nice bf% drop man, keep it up. You going to ever go ahead with HST or are you still not sure?

MS
    MonStar, thanks for the support As little as it is, it is progress. I find it very interesting reading the various threads here and seeing what others are doing. It is very tempting to switch when progress does not occur as rapidly as one would like. Reading Maki's journal and I would almost jump at the chance to drop the poundages that he has been able to in such a short period time. However, I'll proceed down this path and continue to drop a few pounds a month and suffer the consequences. I have reduced a lot slower this time and I'm not sure to what extent that it has saved my muscle gains. About 10 more pounds to go I think.

As for HST. B&I posted above and his routine is looking very interesting if I can fit 5-6 days in a week. Definitely worth a try. I would need to ensure that I'm consistent for some time, so I would need to look ahead to see when that would be best. Reinier posted a thread about intensity and failure, I have simular reservations that need to be addressed mentally before I go down the path of HST. My next bulk session would still be a good time I think in trying B&I's modified HST routine which could be August. I'm aiming to get my waist down to about 33" before bulking up again - unless I start looking too emaciated