The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 251 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Week 4 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 5 hours
    Soreness: none

Cardio: does 18 holes of golf count?

Diet:
    • M1: Protein shake w/ milk & flax, oatmeal.
      M2: BioProtein Bar
      M3: Sausage Hot Dog , Chips , Gatorade
      M4: BioProtein Bar
      M5: Steak, baked potatoe, some overcooked vegetables (may have been peas), dessert

weight: ~164.0

Training: Rest Day
    Overall Comments

Company golf day. My golfing is usually so bad that I can get a great cardio session just walking all over the fairways looking for my ball. Since this was a scramble and one member of our team could actual swing the club and hit the ball, we didn't need to walk as much. For those interested, 5 over par which was average for the scramble. Picked up a set of 15 balls from the prize table. Lots of sunshine, only minor burns but a good overall.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:03 PM.

Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Sleep: 5 hours

Cardio: Absolutely no cardio today

Diet:
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, Milk
      M4: Ice Cream + Nuts + cookies tuttut
      M5: Hamburger, fries and a milk shake.

weight: ~165.0

Overall Comments

Well, needed to say goodbye to someone and decided it was time to indulge with the group and eat some Ice cream. Then oops, out for dinner and why not waste the whole day.

The weather was f*cking beautiful today. I should be off enjoying the weather instead of being at work all day. Anyway, my wife is away today so I won't be working out tonight. I'm planning on doing arm day tomorrow evening instead.

I've been quite busy the past few days, so I haven't taken a look in here. Just wanted to belatedly congratulate you on your progress; you're doing great! I know how frustrating it is to keep dieting and see results come quite as quickly as you'd like. If you're like me and naturally fat, though, it's the only way to do it. You were worried about losing 1lb of muscle. That's pretty decent IMO; when I first started the diet that lasted up until three weeks ago, I lost almost 7lbs of muscle in the first two months. I am dumb. The point is, 1lb ain't nothin'.

Since I noticed you said you might try something similar to my current routine, I'll just comment that so far it seems to be working quite well. I think my arms and shoulders are noticeably bigger. Unfortunately, I can't find my measuring tape at the moment to confirm this. I really should've been more scientific and objective with all this(I didn't even have before pics taken. Bah!)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    ... Just wanted to belatedly congratulate you on your progress; you're doing great!
    Thanks for the support. It's always welcome, some days it's needed more than others.

I know how frustrating it is to keep dieting and see results come quite as quickly as you'd like. If you're like me and naturally fat, though, it's the only way to do it. You were worried about losing 1lb of muscle. That's pretty decent IMO; when I first started the diet that lasted up until three weeks ago, I lost almost 7lbs of muscle in the first two months. I am dumb. The point is, 1lb ain't nothin'.

It is amazing what one will obsess about. I think I would kill myself if I lost 7 lbs in two months (j/k). Your quite correct, 1 lb is nothing considering the margin of error, the amount of food, water etc. that I have in my system at the time. I can weight about 3 lbs heavier from morning to evening. (It's so easy to rationalize this.) However, obsess I do. With 30 extra lbs of muscle, I could spare a few. Without them, well...

Since I noticed you said you might try something similar to my current routine, I'll just comment that so far it seems to be working quite well. I think my arms and shoulders are noticeably bigger. Unfortunately, I can't find my measuring tape at the moment to confirm this. I really should've been more scientific and objective with all this(I didn't even have before pics taken. Bah!)
    What, no before pics! What the f*ck good are you if you can even be counted on to ensure that we could see your results. I remember seeing some pics of you, I believe before your diet. Would have been good to see the difference pre this latest bulk. But, oh well maybe next time.

I too have been following along your journal and noticed your latest results. You do seem to be doing well i.e. you are much more up beat now - food helps I see.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-22-2002 at 08:59 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Diet:
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, Milk
      M4: Ice Cream + Nuts + cookies tuttut
      M5: Hamburger, fries and a milk shake.
    Whatsup with your diet rookiebldr? Haha it cracks me up. You seem to get all of the good stuff like the protein shakes and all that but then you toss in the sh!tty stuff like cookies and milk shakes and fries. tuttuttuttut

MS

Cheat day. Since I cheated in afternoon (ice cream etc), I decided to cheat the night away and have the burger and fries too. I'm back on schedule today - maybe a little low in cals. since I missed my proper lunch and relied on too many protein bars.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Thursday, June 20, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours

Cardio: nope, in meetings all f*cking day.

Diet:
      M3: Tuna w/ mayo on crackers
      M4: BioProtein Bar
      M5: Pasta, chicken breast.
      M6: Cottage cheese

Overall Comments

Too bad I didn't make it out to the gym again today. I've been preparing for a presentation tomorrow and I just haven't had the time at work to do it. Now it crunch time.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-22-2002 at 08:58 PM.

friday / Saturday, June 21/22, 2002

Sleep: 3 / 7 hours

Cardio: nope, in meetings all f*cking day again

Diet: Decent, back on it usual 2200 cals on both days.

Overall Comments

Friday - I needed to put a presentation together again for Friday morning. So after being up until 3:00am, I got up at 6:00am to get into work at 7 for meeting 1. 8:00am for meeting 2, until 12:30, 12:30 - 2:30 meeting 3, 3:00 - 5:00 for meeting 4. No cardio and I was beat from not getting any sleep the last 4 nights.

Saturday. Up early again to get my daughter to a birthday party for a couple of hours while, I did some running around. Upside, I have decided to start creatine again so I pick up some of that. Downside - The new 8mg ephedren has hit the store shelves here in Ontario. I guess I can space out my intake now since I'll need 3 pills to get the same effect as the old pills. I've also spent all day producing invitations. Need to mail these suckers before the my parents anniversary actually occurs other wise, nobody will show.

Definitely tomorrow will be chest and back day. Its been a bad week for working out and I've doing a bit of checking on my past performance of getting in the gym. I have seemed to have missed a few over the past month and I'm feel a bit discouraged about not getting in to the gym more consistently. No f*cking endorphins (sp?) running around in my body - need a workout.

That's it for now.

Its been a bad week for working out

I know where your coming from I had a bad week last week, but every week has a weekend, and from there a new begining

Thanks CP. I'm up this morning and on my way for a w/o.

Its cool man everyone gets busy and has to skip the gym sometimes. Keep up the hard work and good luck getting back on track.

MS

Sunday, June 23, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours

Cardio: nada.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake 686cal (60p, 4f, 101c)
      M3: Eggs, Canadian Back Bacon, Cantalope
      M4: Tuna on whole wheat
      M5: nuts, peanutbutter, chocolate, tea bun
      M6: Salad, Salmon, olives and rice, creme brulee Traveling again.

weight: 163 - I guess I've been eating a little lite lately.

Training: Chest and Back - 70 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Felt a bit groggy this morning. But it was time to do it.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 9(!), 7

Warmed up with 40's then 50's so went straight to the 60's. I had done 55 last week for 10.5 so maybe I could push myself on the 60's and get 7 or 8. Surprised myself getting 9 solid reps. Yea ha.

Close Grip Chins: -20 x 6, 7

WTF. Ok, I had to use the Graviton assisted machine instead of the Icarian. F*ck, I hate that machine. It feels so much tougher, as if I have to pull it up instead of it helping me. I actually wanted to try doing this without assistance, however after such a lack lustre performance, I just went back to doing my chest.

Flat Dumbbell flies: 35 x 10(!), 7

Better than last week by one rep.

Deadlifts: 215 x 7, 205 x 7

Now, I've complete psych'd myself out. I put 215 on the bar, thought I had put 225 on and then did 7 reps. Running out of steam and my back s*cked big time. So 3 reps less than last week.

Declined Dumbbell Presses: 60 x 9(!), 4

Ah, based on last weeks' easy 55's, I went straight for the 60's. A good solid easy 9 reps. The second set, well, I lost my concentration, can't even remember why now. I think, I need someone to help load up the db's after I get into position. Would definitely be easier.

Hammer Strength Padded T-Bar Row (Curl Grip): 80 x 9.5, 7

Felt fairly easy until rep 9. I've decided to move up a bit further on the pad so that it rests below my pecs. Seems to give better leverage and allows my arm to go back further on the pull.

Barbell Shrugs: 245 x 7, 225 x 7

I upped the weight from last week but after the first set I just didn't like the ROM I was getting from this exercise. I dropped the weight to 225 and the ROM was much better.

Overall Comments

Chest was a great workout, back was not today.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 9(!), 7

Flat Dumbbell flies: 35 x 10(!), 7

Declined Dumbbell Presses: 60 x 9(!), 4
    Awesome strength here man!! Keep up the good work. Nice increases from last week. Good to see that youre back in the swing of things.

MS

Monday / Tuesday, June 24/25, 2002

Sleep: 6/6 hours

Soreness: Chest and Lats big time

Cardio: nada.

Diet:
    • M1: Post work out shake + apple
      M2: Carrot Muffin
      M3: Salmon + Chicken on white bread, peanut butter pie(?)
      M4: Chicken on whole Wheat bun
      M5: Tuna on whole wheat
      M6: Cottage Cheese

Back to regular stuff on Tuesday.

weight: 164 / 165

Training: rest / rest

Overall Comments

Too much sh*t going on to train. Planning on going in tomorrow morning prior to work. Guess I'll miss leg day this week.

It's 2 and I need to go to bed.

Thanks Monstar, wish I really was back in the swing, but yea the increases felt great and my chest is still slightly sore.

Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #II.
    For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 4 hours

Soreness: chest still a little.

Cardio: did laps in pool yesterday for 15-20 mins.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake, Oatmeal w/raisins - 475 cals (61p, 6f, 46c)
      M2: Post Workout Shake - 494 cals (56p, 1f, 64c)
      M3:
      M4:
      M5:
      M6:

Total: nnnn cals (nnn protein nn%, nn fat nn% , nnn carbs nn%)

weight: 165.0

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 40 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar and thus is total weight used..

HS ISO Seated Shoulder Press: 75 x 7 (!), 65 x 9

I really like using this machine for shoulder presses. It was vacant and I wanted to warm up the muscles. I thought I would be able to do more than the 75's per side but it just wasn't there. Still, as I look back through my journal, the last previous best was 5 reps a couple of months ago.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 10, 25 x 4 D 20 x 6
      Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 6, 20 x 4 D 15 x 5
      Seated Dumbell Rear Raises: 15 x 4, 15 3 D 10 x 3

These three exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. Very good day for shoulders. Compared to my last shoulder outing, these were all increases in reps and weights. I found my form for laterial and front raises were great for the 20lbs. Form was a little off with the increase in weight on the laterial so I dropped down to the 20's I was trying to stay in the 6-8 rep range so the 20's seem too light while the 25's seem too heavy. I really haven't been doing rear raises and find that this exercise is awkward at best. I need more practice with the lighter weight to get my form down prior to going for the 15's.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 10, 6

No real increases since last week but nice sets never the less. Seems like I said that two weeks ago. I think I need to do more lifting.

Alternating Seated Dumbell Curls: 30 x 11, 9

Again, this felt great, not too difficult just nice easy reps. I'm concerned about moving to the 35's since I suspect my form will suffer (i.e. will need back movement to help out) and my reps will drop significantly. Maybe I'll move back to doing these inclined with the 30's and ensure that no back movement is involved.

Tricep Dips: BW x 9, 6

Same as last time. Again, really not progressing on my triceps at the moment. Lost my concentration and was swinging a bit too much on the first set. Second set, I just lost steam.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 30 x 9, 8

Again nice solid curls, good form.

Overall Comments

I was in a real hurry this morning since I needed to get into work for a meeting. I probably rushed a little to much on some of the exercises. That's it for now, time for some tuna.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 10, 25 x 4 D 20 x 6
    Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 6, 20 x 4 D 15 x 5
    Seated Dumbell Rear Raises: 15 x 4, 15 3 D 10 x 3

awsome superset,good job!
    the 25x4 is rough
    someday I want to do it with the 50s.......someday

Nice HS ISO Seated Shoulder Press strength rookiebldr!!

Really looking good man keep up the hard work, seriously.

MS

Captain Piddles-

Thanks for the encouraging words. I still need t o work on form when doing the 5lbs extra weight. It seems that 20lbs is too easy in that the weight is correct for proper form, but it works out to too may reps. Where as, the 25's cause me to lose some of the form. My delts really are not at failure after the 4 reps. I just can't raise my arms enough to get a good contraction. I'm hoping that the drops sets will allow me to progress and really get the delt to failure.

50lbs I can only imagine what size my delts would need to be to be able to raise that much with my arms out at my sides. I certainly like the image of having broad shoulders though...maybe next year? It seems like it has take me a long time to get any increases here. Seems to me that you are a lot closer to 50 lbs raises, I'm sure it won't be long.

MonStar-

Heh thanks bro. As I mentioned above, I like to doing this exercise, it seems safer since I don't usually have a spot at the gym and it allows me to really give it everything I can on the press. I'm likely putting to much of my body into this to get the press, which I can't with DB Presses. The DB presses usually have a sticking point lower down or I may even have problems just getting them into position.

BTW, even with the little bit that I worked out my arms yesterday, both triceps and biceps are a little sore.

I love the HS behind-the-neck-press. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about here.

Actually, I like most HS stuff.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

I too love the Hammer Strength equipment. This doesn't seem to be behind the neck though. I'll try and search for a picture. Your seated with your back at about 80-75 degress from vertical. The handles are in line with your head, but the upward push places them maybe 10 degrees in front of your head. I'm sure that I'm not that acturate with the degees here, however, I'm hoping that you'll get the image.

I really like to try the HS pullover machine that several of the members have described, and I think there should be a HS decline bench press as well. We have the incline and the flat Bench presses which I have used in the past.

I too love the Hammer Strength equipment. This doesn't seem to be behind the neck though. I'll try and search for a picture. Your seated with your back at about 80-75 degress from vertical. The handles are in line with your head, but the upward push places them maybe 10 degrees in front of your head. I'm sure that I'm not that acturate with the degees here, however, I'm hoping that you'll get the image.
    Yup. That sounds like it. Not sure why they call it 'behind-the-neck', but they do.

I really like to try the HS pullover machine that several of the members have described, and I think there should be a HS decline bench press as well. We have the incline and the flat Bench presses which I have used in the past.
    Never seen the pullover. I've got to use a crappy off-brand one. My gym's got the decline, incline, and regular bench presses, though. I go for dips over declines, but the incline is okay. I'm using it now. The flat is great; I much prefer it to the free weight version, as I feel it much more in my chest.

Yup. That sounds like it. Not sure why they call it 'behind-the-neck', but they do.
    Thanks for the reply, at least now I know!

Never seen the pullover. I've got to use a crappy off-brand one. My gym's got the decline, incline, and regular bench presses, though. I go for dips over declines, but the incline is okay. I'm using it now. The flat is great; I much prefer it to the free weight version, as I feel it much more in my chest.
    It really has been a while since I've tried the flat or incline, at least 6 months or more. Maybe I'll try them again for a workout or two. I agree with you on the flat appearing to hit the chest more.

Thursday / Friday / Saturday, June 27/28/29, 2002

Sleep: 6/7/7 hours

Soreness:

Cardio: swimming laps all three days.

Diet: reasonable

weight: 165

Training: rest / rest / and more rest

Overall Comments

Finally, I think I can get my routine back in order. Even though, I'm not exactly calculating things out at the moment, I feel that my cals are about where the need to be. My lats (as little as they are) are starting to show better and I was able to fit into my next size down pants again. Progress is occuring bit by bit even if the weight is not down.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-29-2002 at 04:50 PM.

Sunday, June 30, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 6.5 hours

Cardio: It's still early, likely laps later.

Diet:
    I pigged out last night with a fair bit of carbs to make ready for today's workout. Not sure that it helped but my weight this morning is up.
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake

weight: 165.5

Training: Chest and Back - 70 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

I got up early but decided to wait for almost 2 hours to get rid of the grogginess. I actually forgot my journal at home so I had to go my memory on what I had done last week.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 9, 6

Simular to last week. For some reason, I psyched my self that I had done 65's last week and that this wasn't as good as then. Now I find out, that it's the same.

Close Grip Chins: -10 x 6, -20 x 7

I felt weak here even though it was better than last week. I need to progress to BW.

Flat Dumbbell flies: 35 x 9, 40 x 6(!)

The first set seemed easy even though I only did 9 reps. Decided that I would at least try the 40's see if I could get a few reps out of them and got 6. Pleased yes, so I do 40's next week as the first set.

Deadlifts: 215 x 8, 225 x 5

My back is just not improving as much as I would like. Need to push myself more, however, I keep running out of steam. I might try doing this in the cage next week and see if releasing the bar each rep makes a real difference.

Declined Barbell Press: 125 x 12, 135 x 6

The decline bench was busy, the dip station was busy - sh*t. Ok, I haven't done these for 8 months. The last time, I reached failure, couldn't rack the bar. Since no one came to help, I rolled it up my body with a pause on my ribs and they went crunch. I was able to get up, lift the weight off my hips and re-rack it. I of course felt like fool, however, since then I tended to stay away from BB presses.

Dispite the above, I decided I would venture here once again. Unfortunately, this really affected the second set. There was no way I was going to get stuck again and I likely could of gotten another 2-3 reps if I had set up a spot ahead of time.

Did notice that this put a strain on my left shoulder again. Sh*t seem bench presses of any kind really stresses my previous shoulder injury.

Hammer Strength Padded T-Bar Row (Curl Grip): [color=red]90 x 9(!)[color], 5.5

Moved up another 10 lbs here.

Flat Bench Dumbell Pullovers: 55 x 9, 6

All this discussion above, made me want to do these again. They seem to hit my lats and chest so it makes for a nice completing exercise. I can't remember what I have done before on these so I leave it as not a pb but something to watch for. 60's next.

Kneeling Dumbell Shrugs: 80 x 12, 80 x 13 D 50 x 13, 85 x 12 D 60 x 12

Was time to switch to DB shrugs instead of bb shrugs just to make sure that I was getting the proper hit on the traps. Felt really good, maybe I can finally use the 90 next week, my grip actually held out for the 12 count on the 85's but just barely.

Overall Comments

Not a bad workout but I think it could have felt better. Even though in retrospect it seem good, it just didn't feel as good when I was going through it.