Page 12 of 251 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie's Thread - Adventures of a Trainer

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Flat Dumbbell flies: 35 x 9, 40 x 6(!)

Hammer Strength Padded T-Bar Row (Curl Grip): 90 x 9(!), 5.5
    Nice strength gains here rookiebldr!!

Flyes are really really looking impressive. Yesterday on HST I had to do my flyes with 15 lbs. DBs! I usually use the 85s so using the 15s all the guys in the gym were just like what the f*ck?

Nice row strength man. I think that might be the same supported lever row that I use man. Mine isnt HS though its Paramount. Ill attach a pic of it. I do them underhand too though.

MS
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suspect that I changed my form a bit on the flies to get the 40's. I likely put more bend in my elbow than I should have causing more tri work. I still felt the stretch and it felt good to pull 40's.

Down to 15's eh. I hope you slowed it down. It would at least allow you to really concentrate on the movement, the stretch etc.

yep, the machine is the same, just HS. Underhand I hoping will hit my bis a bit as well.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Close Grip Chins: -10 x 6, -20 x 7

I felt weak here even though it was better than last week. I need to progress to BW.

I find going from that little assistance to bodyweight, that the bodyweight exercise is actually easier as you're not confined to the path of the assist machine and the -10lbs doesn't really do anything anyways(Using this little weight on the machine at my gym results in the pad not even staying in contact with my legs.) I say you could hit a good 6 reps at bodyweight right now.

BTW, nice progression on the lifts.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Down to 15's eh. I hope you slowed it down. It would at least allow you to really concentrate on the movement, the stretch etc.
    Hehe yeah I did slow down the movement a lot. Big time man. Really slowed it down completely focused on a more than full ROM. Dropping the DBs down to the floor with each rep. Stretched out my pecs 100%.

yep, the machine is the same, just HS. Underhand I hoping will hit my bis a bit as well.
    Thats cool. Never hits my biceps at all. Murders my lats though holy sh!t.

MS

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

I find going from that little assistance to bodyweight, that the bodyweight exercise is actually easier as you're not confined to the path of the assist machine and the -10lbs doesn't really do anything anyways(Using this little weight on the machine at my gym results in the pad not even staying in contact with my legs.) I say you could hit a good 6 reps at bodyweight right now.

BTW, nice progression on the lifts.
    I suspect your correct. On one of the machines, the pad actually seems to slow me down, somehow I feel a resistance, I can't really explain it cause it doesn't make sense however, that's the feeling. Where as with this one I used on Sunday, the pad does have difficulty keeping up with me on the way up. I should really be trying for 9 reps, however, I'll take your suggestion and go for 6 reps (unassisted) and work up to 11. Besides, if I work at it, I can loose 5 lbs and I should be able to get 7 reps easy.

Thanks for the suggestion, always appreciated.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by MonStar

Hehe yeah I did slow down the movement a lot. Big time man. Really slowed it down completely focused on a more than full ROM. Dropping the DBs down to the floor with each rep. Stretched out my pecs 100%.
    I don't have that much stretch in my arms and chest to hit the floor, well done.

Originally posted by MonStar

Thats cool. Never hits my biceps at all. Murders my lats though holy sh!t.

MS
    My lats never seem to get sore very much from any of my workouts even when I first started training. Oh well.

Monday, July 1, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 10.5 hours

Soreness: Chest a lot, back a little

Cardio:

Diet: low today since I slept in and only got 4 meals in.

weight: 166

Training: rest

Overall Comments

Good lazy Canada Day.

I don't have that much stretch in my arms and chest to hit the floor, well done.
    Hehe thanks man. Yeah I seem to have some excellent flexibility in my pecs. Strange the way that that works because my chest is definitely one of my best bodyparts no doubt about it.

My lats never seem to get sore very much from any of my workouts even when I first started training. Oh well.
    Dont worry man this will definitely come with time if you ask me. I mean my lats and midback never got sore Ill probably say my first 2-3 years of training. Then all of the sudden my back just started get sore day after day after day haha.

MS

Tuesday, July 2, 2002

Sleep: 6 hours with interuptions. Woke up at 4:30 and dosed for 1 hour until I fell back to sleep again.

Soreness: chest a little.

Cardio: nada - going golfing in the 35 degree heat should remove some water.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal + raisins 432cal (60p, 5f, 46c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake 525cal (38p, 2f, 74c)
      M3: BioProtein Bar, apple 374cal (21p, 5f, 62c)
      M4: Salmon w/ whole wheat, milk, bioProtein Bar [i]727cal (50p, 24f, 77c)
      M5: Grill Chicken Burger, Strawberries on Romaine with Olive Oil Raspberry vinegate 549cal (44p, 21f, 48c)
      M6: Protein Shake w/ Milk + Flax oil [i]405cal (56p, 10f, 17c)

Total 3056 cals (269p 35%, 68f 20%, 324c 45%)

weight: 165

Training: Legs - 30 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

I know better than to do this, however, I had too much ephedrine and caffeine before I started. I again had to quit mid way through this routine. I will do hams and calves tomorrow.

Free squats: 135 x 20(!)

Now I haven't done legs in awhile it seems but maybe the rest has helped. (*rationalize rationalize*) Anyway, with the gym busy I had to do squats in cage instead of the smith machine and after warming up with 95 for 8, then 115 for 8, I felt really strong. I also used a wider stance this time. Anyway, my last outing was 115 for 22 on a smith machine and the 115 warmup just felt light. I needed to pause at 15 reps, then again at 18 and 19, but I made sure that I got all 20. P.S. this is finally getting close to my calculated max rep of 140 x 20 from WBB #1 routine. My goal here is 150 x 20 at end of WBB #2 routine.

45 Degree Leg Press: 270 x 20 (!)

I looked at my last lifts here and it was for 260 at 21, knew I could do at 3 plates and loaded them up. Tough yes, but I'll do 20 lbs more next week.

Seated Leg Extensions: 100 x 15, 10

Running out of steam here, taking longer to get the heart rate back to some semblance of normal. My quads are already hurting from the earlier sets. So after two sets I'm done.

Overall Comments

Came home after the work out to recoop. Off to work now and we'll see how the golfing goes this evening. My quads are still killing me, having difficulty walking up the stairs. Maybe sleep would really do me some good tonight.

Looks like I won't get much sleep tonight. It's already 1:40am.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-02-2002 at 11:41 PM.

20 rep squats followed by 20 rep leg press. Awesome man. I would've been on the floor convulsing in a puddle of vomit.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Yep, pretty close to my state of being. I really think this has more to do with my cardio fitness level, poor sleep last night and the increased EC I took this morning. I maybe wrong, but I have had simular problems with an evening workout when I was too tired and took EC just before the workout after a full day of EC. My last evening outing for legs, I changed thing up a little and got through it all without any side effects.

Still, it's now 5:30 pm, my quads are still shaky but it's time to golf. Dispite the little weights that I push, it was a good workout.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-02-2002 at 03:41 PM.

Dispite the little weights that I push, it was a good workout.
    Well, if it's any consolation I don't think I could hit much more than 20 reps while squatting with 135. Maybe not even 20.

B&I,

Ah, but your form would of course be impecable. It is a good thing we are into bodybuilding and not powerlifting.

Wednesday, July 3, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours

Soreness: Quads, oh my hurting Quads.

Cardio: nada

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk+flax, Oatmeal + raisins 552cal (60p, 13f, 46c)
      M2: BioProtein Bar 293cal (20p, 5f, 41c)
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk 432cal (35p, 16f, 36c)
      M4: Cottage cheese, apple 241cal (28p, 3f, 29c)
      M5:
      M6: Protein Shake w/ Milk + Flax oil 405cal (56p, 10f, 17c)

Total nnnncals (nnnnp 35%, nnf 20%, nnnc 45%)

weight: 164

Training: none

Overall Comments

Calories were a bit high yesterday after I counted them up. It would appear that since I haven't been as diligent at counting the calories, I'm likely a bit higher than I should be. So... back to counting better and getting the numbers back to where they need to be. I still haven't had dinner and I'm already up to 2000!!

Felt this urgent desire to update. My quads still hurt from Tuesday, I've had like no time to rest - 2 hours sleep last night. And now, off to an early morning drive and meeting. Fck, I'm tired.

Thant's all, just needed to share.

Friday, July 5, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #II.
    For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 9 hours
    • Yesterday got up at 5:45am after 2 hours sleep, I drove for 2 hours, sat in a meeting for 8 hours, made my 1 hour presentation, drove for 2 more hours, went out for dinner and crashed in bed by 9 pm. Did I every need to sleep the 9 hours. Anyway, forced myself to get this morning at 6:00 am so that I could workout in the morning prior to work.

Soreness:
    • My quads are finally starting to subside. I can't believe that I'm still walking up stairs funny. They are still that sore.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake, Oatmeal w/raisins - 475 cals (61p, 6f, 46c)
      M2: Post Workout Shake - 494 cals (56p, 1f, 64c)
      M3: 2 BioProtein Bars
      M4:
      M5:
      M6:

Total: nnnn cals (nnn protein nn%, nn fat nn% , nnn carbs nn%)

weight: 167.0

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 40 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar and thus is total weight used..

HS ISO Seated Shoulder Press: 70 x 4, 70 x 5

Warmed up a Cybex Overhead press, then the HS became available. Unfortunately, this week seems to have taken a toll, since my lifts were 5lbs lighter per side and 3 reps shorter than last week These felt really tough this morning.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 25 x 3, 20 x 6, 20 x 6
      Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 7, 20 x 7, 20 x 6
      Seated Dumbell Rear Raises: 15 x 5, 15 x 6, 15 x 5

These three exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. Yep, confirmed that I was a bit weaker today than last week. Still they felt good and given the 4 exercises, my delts were now really pumped. Still need to work on the form for the rear raises. I am not comfortable doing these, my elbows and arms do not feel like the are in the correct position always to get the rear delts properly.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 8, 8

So now I know the whole day is going to be a weak one. Oh well, these did hit my tris fairly well.

Alternating Seated Incline Dumbell Curls: 30 x 6 - 4, 4 - 4

I went back to doing the incline to ensure that I keep my back out of the exercise. Managed 6 reps per side then I repositioned myself to an seated upright position and eeked out 4 more reps. The second set was simular except I could only get 4 reps per side. I think I go back down to 25lbs, since I don't think my bis got enough out of this. I'm also temped to put in a BB curl exercise in here instead of these DB curls. I just think a BB type exercise will work my bis better.

Tricep Dips: BW x 10 (!), 5

This felt really tough and I think no the last rep my chest came into play more. I was leaning forward a bit too much. I'm also up about 3 lbs over last week. The second set I concentrated more to keep my body more vertical.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 8

Good form but lower weight from last week. My bis just didn't get the pump that I had longed for.

Overall Comments

Not done with the day, but the work out was fairly good. My schedule is all screwed up, this workout should have occured on Wed, it's Friday so my next workout will be on Sunday.

The weather if great and I my get a golf game in this afternoon.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-05-2002 at 09:26 AM.

Tricep Dips: BW x 10 (!), 5

This felt really tough and I think no the last rep my chest came into play more. I was leaning forward a bit too much. I'm also up about 3 lbs over last week. The second set I concentrated more to keep my body more vertical.
    Nice strength man!! Glad to see you just using your BW now thats some strength gain. Yeah dips for triceps are much different than chest dips. Triceps you want to stay as upright as possible locking out hard at the top of every rep.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    good to c somebody who loves cardio as much as me hehe
    ur progressin really well dude.. good stuff!

..how long does it take you to do a workout, with all of them supersets?
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

Thanks SS-Gohan.

Today it was quick, about 40 mins - Started 8:10 and finished at 8:50. I usually do a 5-10 min warmup on cardio machine first just to get the blood pumping. Then two warm up presses for shoulders, then wait you see listed above. I find that with shoulder and arm day, that I don't need to rest between sets as much even with the supersetting. 1 to 1.5 mins is usually fine. On leg day or back day then it is a lot longer 3-4 mins which really stretches out my workout.

Yesterday got up at 5:45am after 2 hours sleep, I drove for 2 hours, sat in a meeting for 8 hours, made my 1 hour presentation, drove for 2 more hours, went out for dinner and crashed in bed by 9 pm. Did I every need to sleep the 9 hours. Anyway, forced myself to get this morning at 6:00 am so that I could workout in the morning prior to work.
    Damn sounds like a busy a*s schedule. I hope that I am not going to be running around insanely when I work part time and go to school.

Saturday, July 6, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #II.
    For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 10 hours - even better last night.

Soreness: not much.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake, Vector Cereal w milk - 539 cals (70p, 5f, 50c)
      M2: Cottage cheese, Yogurt - 414 cals (48p, 7f, 42c)
      M3: BioProtein bar, apple - 374 cals (21p, 6f, 62c)
      M4: Pasta w/ sundried tomatoe pesto and tuna - 675 cals (56p, 26f, 31c)
      M5: Cottage cheese - 240 cals (42p, 3f, 12c)

Total: 2242 cals (238 protein 42%, 47 fat 18% , 197n carbs 35%)

I got up late and somehow missed meal.

weight: 165.0

Training: Rest day - 24 hours
    Overall Comments

Not too much. Re-thinking my training again. Tomorrow is chest and back day.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-07-2002 at 10:47 PM.

Sunday, July 7, 2002

Week 6 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: none

Cardio:

Diet:
    I didn't pig out last night and diet was good today.
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, vive cereal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake
      M3: Nlarge Protein Shake in milk
      M4: Protein Bar, apple, cheese
      M5: Grilled Steak, potatoes, corn, ice cream, wine
      M6: Cottage cheese

Wine: California Fetzer Cab, light easy drinking.

weight: 165

Training: Chest and Back - 75 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

I got up a little bit late, felt pretty good until I started my 5 min cardio. This didn't feel right and low and behold I likely psyched myself out because today was not a good lift day.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 6, 50 x 6

Reps were down by 4 on the first set and I just didn't feel very strong. Form was good and I may have slowed down the pace a little which caused me to drop the reps.

Deadlifts: 205 x 8

Well the assist chining machine was busy so I went for the deadlifts instead. After warming up, I did 205 for 8 and decided that I had had enough of this exercise. Down 10 lbs from last week.

Flat Dumbbell flies: 40 x 6, 35 x 8

Same as last week, was expecting to be able to do a few more reps on the first set but it was not to be.

Close Grip Chins: BW x 4 D BW-20 x 4, BW x 3 D BW-20 x 3

I really hoped for more - not today.

Declined Barbell Press: 50 x 8, 6 (WTF)

The decline bench was busy, the dip station was busy - sh*t. So I did Flat Dumbell Presses instead. Nothing to say at this time except - wtf.

Hammer Strength Padded T-Bar Row (Curl Grip): 80 x 9, 9

Since I wasn't feeling all that strong today, decided just to play along and go for lighter weights now. For was great, nice and slow.

Flat Bench Dumbell Pullovers: 55 x 9, 6

Same as last week.

Kneeling Dumbell Shrugs: 75 x 15, 90 x 8 D 60 x 10 (!)

One redemming quality to the workout. After trying 85's last week, I went for the 90's. Was expecting that my grip would hold out but it did. Maybe the trap work and the deads are finally helping out with my forearm strength. It was a bit tough to hang on to the 90's but I did hold them parallel and they didn't slip out. The 60's on the dropped set felt really light after the 90's.

Overall Comments

Ended on a good note.

Nice strength rookiebldr!! Keep up the hard work man your strength is really looking good especially here bro. I only use the 85s or the 95s with these holy f*ck. And I have been working out a long time.

Thanks, bro. It was pure ego, picking up the 90's and using them. Doing this kneeling has somehow helped and I'm really glad that I haven't resorted to using straps, although it has been tempting. I think I can now go back to doing DB Rows since my grip may not adversely affect my rows as much.

P.S. what the are you doing up at 4 in the morning? Get some sleep man.

[B][COLOR=darkblue][I]

Wine: California Fetzer Cab, light easy drinking.[/list]

1.Why are you drinking?!tuttut

2.Good job on the shrugs.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!