The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 251 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Monday, July 8, 2002

Week 5 of WBB #II.
    For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 7 hours

Soreness: not really.

Cardio: laps - 15 mins.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake, Oatmeal w raisins - 475 cals (60p, 5f, 46c)
      M2: BioProtein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M3: Spinach Salad w pecans & chicken - 542 cals (36p, 31f, 12c)
      M4: BioProtein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M5: BBQ chicken breast, sweet potato, lettuce salad - 491 cals (49p, 6f, 60c)
      M6: Prolab shake w/ milk - 212 cals (32p, 2f, 14c)

Total: 2306 cals (220 protein 38%, 55 fat 21% , 215n carbs 37%)

I need to do a better job of counting calories since I suspect that they are a bit higher than I think.

weight: 165.0

Training: Rest day - 24 hours
    Overall Comments

nada.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-09-2002 at 05:14 AM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by Orange357

1.Why are you drinking?!tuttut

2.Good job on the shrugs.
    1. ..insufficient dead soldiers lining up for the recycle bin.
    ......part bottle sitting on the counter waiting to be consumed.
    ......drowing sorrows.
    ......tried of looking at my ugly face and decided looking through a haze would be better
    ......because I can?

2. thanks.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr

1. ..insufficient dead soldiers lining up for the recycle bin.
    ......part bottle sitting on the counter waiting to be consumed.
    ......drowing sorrows.
    ......tried of looking at my ugly face and decided looking through a haze would be better
    ......because I can?

2. thanks.
    Reson 4 is acceptable......*grabs some vodka*
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Tuesday, July 9, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: nope.

Cardio: nada

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal + raisins 432cal (60p, 5f, 46c)
      M2: Tuna w/ whole wheat mayo in tuna, 1% milk 448cal (35p, 17f, 36c)
      M3: Post workout shake 525cal (38p, 2f, 73c)
      M4: BioProtein bar 293cal (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M5: Popcorn, taco chips with cheese 386cal (7p, 19f, 48c)
      M6: coconut shrimp, bread w/ garlic butter & tomatoes, cake 449cal (20p, 18f, 55c)

Total 2576 cals (182p 29%, 68f 24%, 299c 47%)

Ok, diet suck today. Did well until the evening when it was time for dinner and a movie with that special one in my life - my wife.

weight: 165

Training: Legs - 40 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

I forgot to take my ephedrine and caffeine prior to workout - oh well. I'm now trying to work out my 15's, 10's and 5's for my upcoming HST routine. Today, I decided to focus on my 15's. Since I haven't exactly decided on my routine yet, I will do a number of exercises to test things. I also feel that I will drop squats *cringes* and deadlifts *deep cringe* for the HST since these will likely drain me too much to do a full body workout with these still in there. I may be wrong, just a feeling at the moment.

If I do decide on squats, based on what I have already been doing, I could say with some confidence that my max is 135-140 for 15.

45 Degree Leg Press: 320 x 16, 14

I did two warm up sets of 180x8 prior to hitting the above. I had been doing 270 for 20 last week with some pauses under tension, so I felt comfortable doing this without pauses. Yep did 16 and 14 after a rest.

Seated Leg Extensions: 110 x 15, 115 x 11

The first set was tough, really though I was going to be able to do more but no. So, I suspect that 110 will be my 15's even though I might be able to eek out 14 at 115 if it had been my first set.

Lying Leg Curls: 115 x 3 D 90 x 5

The seated leg curl machine was busy so I went ahead and did this one. This is really different than the seated ones and the weight is really different. Totally miss judged what weight I need to use. So as for testing, I will put down 95 x 5 for my max.

Seated Leg Curls: 110 x 10

Now the seated machine was empty again and I switched back to doing these. One set of 110 x 10. I suspect that I could get 110 x 15 if I had done these at the outset.

Seated Calf Presses: 90 x 18, 90 x 15

Yep, this seems about right on this machine. It was tough.

Standing Calf Presses: 240 x 15

This may be a bit low by 10lbs but since the stack goes up by 20 lbs I'll let this stand for my 15's.

Overall Comments

This was one of the rare times that I took off my ear buds and talked to the guy next to me. I too am antisocial in the gym. I just had to say some thing to him.

He was on a cybex squat machine - sort of like the 45 degree leg press but with a different motion. I think it is suppose to mimic squating but with your back supported and you lying down. Clearly you can use a lot more weight with this machine than when squating. However, what got me talking to him was the 12 plates per side + a 25 - 1130 lbs total. You see, I had to go over and rob some other stacks for 45's since I need 6 (on the leg press) and he had pretty much used the ones next us.

We got to talking about how a lot of ppl think that he is doing this just for the ego but how he truly has worked up to that weight over the 19 years that he has been lifting. Then he started to talk about, if you are doing low reps and high weights why it was bad to do full ROM. How he had hurt his back doing that and now doesn't. Maybe it's true but I decided to glance over and see his ROM prior to my next set. Yep, he moved it, there was a bend in the knees to about 35 degrees instead of 45. Still somewhat impressive since it would have come crashing down on my legs, but likely didn't need to use all those plates.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-13-2002 at 05:35 AM.

Thursday, July 11, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Sleep: 6 hours

Soreness: legs a little - should have done squats on Tuesday

Diet:
      M2: Post workout shake 525cal (38p, 2f, 73c)
      M3: Tuna w/ whole wheat mayo in tuna, 1% milk 448cal (35p, 17f, 36c)
      M5: Chicken, baked potato, salad, ice cream (light) 750cal (47p, 18f, 100c)
      M6: cottage cheese 240cal (42p, 3f, 12c)

Total 2741 cals (242p 35%, 52f 17%, 310c 45%)

I've got to stop cheating and cut out the ice cream.

weight: 166

Training: Shoulders & Arms - 45 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Continuing to test out some maxes as well as complete my workout. I have switched to doing my workouts in the morning and so now I'm pressed for time. Still have not worked out a schedule to get to the gym in time and still complete all of what I want to do.

HS ISO Laterial Press: 70 x 6.5, 4.5, 45 x 12

I did a couple of warm up sets and then on to the above. I suspect that my actual 5 rep max will be 72.5 maybe even 75 per side. I set the my 10 rep max at 50. Next week I'll try my 15 rep max. Anyway, this was tough. I'm still not sure how I managed to get 75 two weeks ago.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 5, 7, 6
      Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 4, 5, 5
      Seated Dumbell Rear Raises: 20 x 4, 15 x 7, 5

These don't really matter for the max reps since I won't be including them in my routine. So they are just the normal workset for this routine. I really didn't like my form on the rear raises. So I dropped down to 15's for the second set.

The above 4 exercises really get my shoulders pumped. Feels great. I shall miss this.

Inclined French Presses: 70 x 9.5, 9

I haven't decided if there is enough variation in the weights to incorporate this exercise in my new routine so I just continued as usual. These haven't improved much.

Standing Barbell Curl (easy curl bar): 50 x 15, 70 x 5

I'm not sure about using this one either, except that I have my 15 and 5 rep maxes at the moment. I like the barbel curl exercise better, my form is better and I get more contraction in the muscle, less shoulder work (I think).

Well ran out of time to really complete this routine. I felt pumped anyway so this seem like a good workout.

Overall Comments

I don't usually comment on things that happen in the gym, but I've never seen anyone do this exercise before. This, hung from a chin bar in a fetal position with his body parallel to the floor. He then proceeded to twist his body side ways back and forth so that his knees would would do a semi circle in the air from one side to the other. - wierd.

Hey, why the front raises?

Because I'm a newbie and I don't know what I'm doing? I'll stop it in a couple of weeks.

My original superset was DB presses, laterial raises and rear raises. 3 sets for 6-8 reps. When I put in the HS Presses as a non-superset, I added in the front raises for the superset. Likely didn't need to but *shrugs shoulders* I did.

Any thoughts on why not to do them? My shoulders are sure pumped after that group of sets.

Because I'm a newbie and I don't know what I'm doing? I'll stop it in a couple of weeks.

My original superset was DB presses, laterial raises and rear raises. 3 sets for 6-8 reps. When I put in the HS Presses as a non-superset, I added in the front raises for the superset. Likely didn't need to but *shrugs shoulders* I did.

Any thoughts on why not to do them? My shoulders are sure pumped after that group of sets.

Well..From my Humble opinion front raise will push you into over training because your anterior delts get plenty of work as it is...And thats alot of shoulder work there. But if it aint broke...

I thought that may be where you were going with that. You may be right if I continue to do them for very long. I've got one more week of testing and doing my current routine, then some deconditioning time and on to an HST routine for 8 weeks.

and I think my shoulders are responding well.

Friday, July 12, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Soreness: nada

Diet:
      M2: BioProtein bar 293cal (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M3: Tuna w/ whole wheat mayo in tuna, 1% milk 448cal (35p, 17f, 36c)
      M5: Steak, Sweet potato, salad, Sherbet 738 cal (47p, 20f, 95c)
      M7: Popcorn 105 cal (2p, 5f, 12c)
      M6: cottage cheese 240cal (42p, 3f, 12c)

Total 2549 cals (228p, 69f, 283c )

weight: 166

Training: Rest
    Overall Comments

nada
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-13-2002 at 05:34 AM.

Well..From my Humble opinion front raise will push you into over training because your anterior delts get plenty of work as it is...And thats alot of shoulder work there. But if it aint broke...
    I'm not a big fan of front raises either. Your anterior delts get plenty of work from overhead and bench presses IMO. Personally, if I do extra shoulder work, it's usually for the rear-delt instead.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Decided to give HST a shot huh rookiebldr?

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    I'm not a big fan of front raises either. Your anterior delts get plenty of work from overhead and bench presses IMO. Personally, if I do extra shoulder work, it's usually for the rear-delt instead.
    Ok, 2 of 3 bodybuilders perfer no front raises. MonStar didn't comment on them, but I already know where he stands on shoulder work - so that makes 3 of 3. So not too reluctantly, they are out of there. Time to concentrate on which exercises I'm going to do for my HST routine anyway and I won't be having any of the superset raises anyway.

Originally posted by lronMan
    Decided to give HST a shot huh rookiebldr?
    Yep, I going to post my routine here and hopefully get some comments back on it so that I can adjust it prior to doing it.

I had good workout on Sat. that I still need to post. Will do so later, but right now, I'm off to the gym.

Banned
    Dude, do Arnold Press for shoulders. It's the best.

Saturday July 13, 2002

Pre HST routine, finishing up on WBB #2.

sleep 7 hours

Soreness: not too much

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake
      M3: Nlarge Protein Shake in milk
      M4: Cottage Cheese, banana
      M5: Grilled Steak, sweet potatoes, salad (Wine - 1 glass)
      M6: Cottage cheese

Wine: German Reisling, a bit on the dry side, which was unusual, but extremely pleasant anyway.

weight: ?

Training: Chest and Back - 75 mins

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 7, 5

Still having problems beating my previous best. I was hoping that I could make 60 my 10 rep max, but no not today. I will likely not included these in my new routine so it I don't think it matters, however, I will need to make sure next week that I finalize my chest routine so that I test out my maxes. Reps were nice and slow, form as ace.

Close Grip Chins (palms facing each other): BW x 4, BW - 20 x 7

Same as last week. I feel so weak with this exercise. I will likely not include this one for HST.

Flat Dumbell flies: 35 x 10, 9

Concentrated on form, making sure the arms did a nice curve in the air. Tried to ensure that the angle of my elbows remained fairly constant to keep the tri from working much. I think it worked.

Dumbell Rows: 65 x 15, 75 x 10

I use to do these all the time and haven't since March. I wanted to add these to the HST routine so it was time to test out my 15's and 10's. Not too much of an improvement since then - maybe 5 lbs. I'll try again next week to make sure that these are my maxes.

Dips: BW x 9, 7

Again, I think I'll add these instead of doing decline DB presses. Need to work out my 5 rep max - now I will actually have to find the weight belt - yea

Seated Vgrip Pull: 70 x 15, 110 x 7

Testing this one out to see if it will fit in the routine.

Flat Bench Dumbell Pullovers: 60 x 7, 50 x 14

Up from last week, nice arc over the body with a full stretch.

Kneeling Dumbell Shrugs: 90 x 12, 90x12 D 60x10 D 40x10(!)

Yes, that was no mistake last week, able to do the 90's again. On the second set I did a drop set with 60's and 40's. I watched my form in the mirror, looked good to me. My traps were hammered.

Overall Comments

Rest of the day was very busy so I didn't get a chance to update this until today.

Originally posted by Callahan
    Dude, do Arnold Press for shoulders. It's the best.
    I'm not yet a fan of those. I have tried them once, had to really lower the weight and I felt my form was very very bad - I know, just what you would expect from someone who was just learning the exercise. Seemed to be a real sticking point just after the initial raise - esp on my left side. This may indicate that I'm not going down far enough on my other shoulder press exercises or that there are other muscles involved that are weaker with this exercise which don't always come into play with my straight presses.

It might be worth trying again sometime but not now, however thanks for the suggestion.

Sunday July 14, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Sleep: 5 hours - woke up in middle of the night.

Soreness: Traps, Traps and Traps.

Diet:
      M2: 2 Apple Turnover, BioProtein bar, coffee w/ cream & sugar
      M3: Chicken Tacos, rice, salad, banana
      M4: BioProtein bar, pecan tart, yogurt, coffee w/ c&s
      M5: Chicken, sweet potato, ice cream

On a road trip, so diet was bad.

Overall Comments

I needed to be up early so we could make a trip up to Algonquin Park - about 3 hours away. We needed to catch a boat at 11:00 and didn't want to be late. 5 hours later, we are back on the boat and heading back to TO. Traffic was horrible, 60 miles of bumper to bumper traffic. Couldn't stand sitting in it so we saw some more country side by taking side roads home. I had packed the car with lots of food, but somehow felt that pecan tarts and apple turnovers would be tastier on the road and they were. I'll rack it up to a cheat day.

Monday July 15, 2002

Pre HST routine, finishing up on WBB #2.

sleep 7.5 hours

Soreness: traps and little on the lats and chest.

Diet:
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, mayo, milk, salad
      M4: Cottage Cheese, apple
      M5: Tuna on pasta with sun dried tomato pesto
      M6: Cottage cheese

weight: 165.5

Training: Legs - 35 mins

45 Degree Leg Press: 410 x 6, 6

Trying to test out my 5 rep maxes, I think I could have added a bit more. This was after three warm up sets. Nice deep ROM, slow decent with explosive push back.

Seated Leg Extension: 150 x 9, 170 x 5

This surprised me some how. I did not think I could get 150 so I started out at 130 and after 2 reps found it too easy. Rest 1 min and tried 150. Form was failing a bit on the last rep. Moved it up to 170 to test out my 5 rep max. Yea.

Seated Leg Curls: 130 x 5, 90 x 15

Tough set but got my 5's

Seated Calf Raises: 90 x 10, 140 x 3, 120 x 6

140 was just a bit too much weight. Really tough.

Overall Comments

This really didn't seem to fry my legs like last week. Good sets but not enough work it seems. Overall pleased with lifts and diet today. Time for my body fat testing again. Likely tomorrow or Wednesday.

Tuesday July 16, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Diet:
      M2: Tuna on whole wheat w mayo, milk
      M3: Taco chips with salsa and cheese
      M4: Steak, potato Salad, Greek Salad
      M5: Taco Chips with salsa and cheese

Smirnoff Ice
      Wine: Calf. Redwood Creek Cab - fantastic, rich full body, wonderfull
      Wine: Calf. Trinity Oaks Zinfandel - deep, dark berry flavours
      Wine: Aust. Brokenwood Shiraz - lighter and unfortunately after the cab and Zin it did not show too well.

Overall Comments

Anticipated having a fun day with my team. Missed out on the golfing outing - will reschedule into Aug. but we still met for dinner and some swimming. That of course meant that I needed to indulge in some pre, during and after dinner drinking. Just a few glasses - maybe a bit too much.

Tomorrow if I get a chance, it's arms and shoulders day, as well as fat testing.
    JT.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 07-16-2002 at 09:51 PM.

Wednesday July 17, 2002

Pre HST workout.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432 cals (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Tuna on whole wheat w mayo, milk, Spinach Salad 495 cals (36p, 22f, 37c)
      M3: BioProtein Bar 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M4: Chicken, Sweet Potato, Yogurt 557 cals (37p, 19f, 57c)
      M5: Cottage Cheese 240 cals (42p, 3f, 12c)

Total 2017 cals (196p 38%, 55f 24%, 182c 36%)

weight: 164

Overall Comments

No fat testing today nor workout. Tomorrow definitely for both. Diet back on track, maybe a little low, however, will try to keep below 2300 on non workout days.

Kneeling Dumbell Shrugs: 90 x 12, 90x12 D 60x10 D 40x10(!)
    Wow man amazing strength!!

I didnt realize how strong you were getting. How are your traps developing?

Oh, if only I WAS strong. I have no idea why these seem to be easy where some of my other back exercises are so weak, deads come to mind. My grip has definitely improved. Not sure where that grip development came from, but it doesn't seem to be a limiting factor anymore on some of these lifts. Which is one of the reasons I'm putting DB rows back in. I want to get up to 100lbs DB rows.

As for trap development, yes I think they are developing nicely. Still need lots of work, i.e. they are not as developed as yours. But I was thinking that I'm getting a much wider look to my back and shoulder area. A more solid look IMO. I believe the consistency (such that it is) that I have been able to put in is starting to have an effect.

Thanks for props.

Oh, if only I WAS strong. I have no idea why these seem to be easy where some of my other back exercises are so weak, deads come to mind. My grip has definitely improved. Not sure where that grip development came from, but it doesn't seem to be a limiting factor anymore on some of these lifts. Which is one of the reasons I'm putting DB rows back in. I want to get up to 100lbs DB rows.

As for trap development, yes I think they are developing nicely. Still need lots of work, i.e. they are not as developed as yours. But I was thinking that I'm getting a much wider look to my back and shoulder area. A more solid look IMO. I believe the consistency (such that it is) that I have been able to put in is starting to have an effect.

Thanks for props.
    No problem man keep up the hard work, way to be consistent with your journal man, very impressive.