The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 251 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Decided to take Accipiter's and Ericg's advise and up my calories. I suspect that they weren't talking about using bottles of wine and cheese sauces on the pasta. It's the weekend and I'll do better next week. I'll just need to up the cardio a bit more.

On other note, I not sure what I did to my back this morning, I noticed it on the chins. I must of wrenched it some how. There seems to a bit of pain coming from my mid level right back. I notice it especially with I look over my left shoulder while driving. Hopefully it will be ok in the morning. On a better note, my chest is now starting to get sore - I love DOMS.

cool. keep up the good work!!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Thanks Orange and welcome to my journal.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

rookiebldr-
    Awesome looking journal man, really really looks good. Really seems a lot like I am reading my own journal. Haha. Keep it up dude, Happy Easter.

Thanks Mon, watch out, first the journal, next weights

Haha aight man just keep it up thats your challenge. Most guys who are newbies/rookies especially give up WAY too soon. Keeping a detailed journal can be tough at times cant it? I always try and keep mine 100% detailed.

I've been keeping a journal for most of the year - just not online. It certainly helps. If I could only keep my goals strait and consistent then my progress would be better. That's why I started the online one and I can always use the help. As a rookie, I need to keep learning.

I gotta get some sleep.

Yeah man a journal definitely helps. Its crazy how many people (probably 95% at any gym Ive been to) dont track anything at all! I mean they just workout and dont really know if theyre getting stronger etc.

Sunday, March 31, 2002

Sleep
    • 6 hours - It was time to wake up and look for Easter eggs.

Soreness
    • A little in the outer pecs, likely from the dips. I still notice a spot in the back but not as bad as yesterday. I will be doing SDLD's tomorrow, so I hope this won't be a problem.

Cardio:
    • none - I hate cardio!!!, should have done some but oh well.

Training:

• Rest Day

Overall Comments

It was a good day to do nothing. Finally some nice weather, 12 degrees (Celesius) and sunny. Ah, finally spring. With all the chocolate around, I couldn't help but binge.

Ferreo Rocher Chocolates are great and they I noticed that they contain Whey Proteins and nuts. Just what I needed, some extra proteins. Back to eating cleaner tomorrow.

Haha damn our journals are looking more and more similar! Everything is looking good though man. Good luck training tomorrow. I hate cardio too but ya gotta do what ya gotta do if you ask me.

... You also might consider a tad more sleep if you can.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-31-2002 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks for the support, MonStar. I'll work on the journal a bit more over time and make it more unique - truly mine. I just happened to like the way yours and some of the others indented your journals - makes it a lot easier to read.

Your right about the sleep. Someday I will. See it's already after 12:00 and I'm not in bed yet. Eventually, everything will come together. I have to admit I felt great today, fat around the middle yes, but bigger elsewhere as well. I'm up on my weight this week, but I don't care - I just felt bigger. oops, I was suppose to be cutting. I noticed you binged as well, but I find that allows me to eat cleaner for awhile and still remain sane.

I also think it's time to find an avatar. Maybe tomorrow.

I just screwed up this entry by overtyping it with Tuesday's notes.

So much for my journal... Here is a revised entry since I doubt that I'll remember everything I put in last night. Good thing for my hardcopy journal.

Monday, April 1, 2002

Sleep: 6 hours.
    Soreness: none
    Cardio: 20 mins - Stationary bike pre-breakfast.

Training: Leg Day - 55 mins.
    • Squats: 185 x 5, 4 D 135 x 4 (!)

I was determined to get back up to my earlier weight. I forgot that it was 175 for 6 and put 185 on the rack. Oh well, not quite 6, second set I died after 4 so I dropped the quarters and did 4 more.

Hack Squats: 140 x7, 150 x 8 (!)

I'm working my way up with this exercise. I'm not comfortable at all that I'm getting the correct ROM. Still difficult at the mid point of the exercise pushing back up on the shoulder and back pads.

Leg Curls: 130 x 6, 4 D 110 x 2

Must have been losing steam on the these since the second set was wimpy and even after dropping the weight, I still could only pump two more reps out.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6 (!)

Yeh, I finally made it over 200. I was determined to up the weight on this one as well. They've fixed the dead lift platform so I can put the side rails back on.

Calf Raises: 220 x 18, 260 x 10, 10, 10 (!)

These were tough. Really slow and needed to concentrate on the contaction.

Overall Comments

Can't really remember what I said, oh well, not important.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-02-2002 at 08:22 PM.

Looks like I'm a "Senior Member" now. I'm feeling old now.

Tuesday, April 2, 2002

Sleep: 6 hours.
    Soreness: Glutes, quads
    Cardio: None
    Diet: 2505 cals (226g protein, 60g fat, 204g carbs)
    Weight: 173

Training: Rest Day

Overall Comments

Absolutely nothing. Feeling fat today, so it's time to count calories.

Wednesday, April 3, 2002

Sleep: 5 hours, I've got to get more sleep.
    Soreness: Very little on the legs and butt, need to work harder.
    Cardio: none.
    Diet: 2317 (280 protein, 33 fat, 217 carbs)
    Weight: ~172

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 55 mins.
    • Decide that since the ISO HS Shoulder press was busy and the racks were not, that I might as well experiment with the Military press.

Military Press: warm-ups, 90 x 5

This was joke. I didn't know what I was doing, it felt very uncomfortable, my back was in the wrong position to support the weight. Since I didn't go to failure on the 90, I thought I would try the 110. Couldn't even figure out how to get enough leverage to move it off the pins. Stopped at that exercise - will look up correct form before attempting again.

Cybex Seated overhead Press: 140 x 0; 130 x 2; 110 x 4; 110 x 4 D 90 x 4 D 70 x 4, D 50 x 4

With the amount of leverage that I could push on the HS ISO press last week (70lbs per side = 140) I thought for sure that I could press 140 on this machine. Something is wrong with my logic, the lift is different on this machine or I really screwed up last week. Anyway I decided to use drop sets after I had problems lifting 110. Next week, I'll go back to HS ISO presses.

Seated Dumbell Press: 40 x 7, 5

I must have be getting tried by now since the second set was poor.

Side Laterals Raises: 20 x 9, 9

Same as last week.

Barbell Pull-ups: 70 x 10, 10

I just really like these for my front delts which has been a weak spot.

Close Grip Bench Press: 90 x 10, 110 x 5.5, 5.5

I guess I should have added nickels instead of dimes to the ends since I could get to 6 reps with these and without a spotter, I had to stand up with the bar to re-seat it on the pins.

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 60 x 8.5, 70 x 5

The 60's felt good, so it was time to up it to 70's on second set. Maybe not, since I couldn't get 6 reps out.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 7, 7

Same as last week.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10

Same as last week.

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 50 x 6

I was done for and could not do anymore. Sad since I as able to do more last week.

Overall Comments

My calories were down for the day and I usually drink a protein drink 30 mins prior to working out, in addition to having a meal 3 hours ahead. Tonight, the meal was fine, maybe a little earlier but I didn't have the protein drink prior. I'm hoping that this was the cause of the poor performance - oh yea the sleeping habits are not helping out much either.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-03-2002 at 11:57 PM.

Thursday, April 4, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours.
    Soreness: Shoulders
    Diet: 2501 cals (233g protein, 61g fat, 244g carbs)

Overall Comments

Diet sucked today, got into the easter chocolate so the calorie count above maybe a bit low, I tried to include some chocolate. Anyway, the lack of sleep is catching up with me, tonight I sleep.

rookiebldr-
    Journal looking good man, keep it up, looks like a mix between mine and Sebi's and everything like that. Nice delt and arm workout yesterday man. Keep it up. What does your split look like?

MonStar, thanks for the encouraging words. It's helpful coming from those who are more experienced and/or further along in their quest.

Yes, it looks like I have stolen some idea's from your journal as well as Sebi's maybe even others. That must come with the territory of having nice journals, people end up stealing some ideas. I also like Oranges' rants(TM), hotties(TM) etc. however, I am not yet prepared to pay Orange licence fees for the use of the trademarks. My earlier non-online journals would only show the exercises and weights I lifted, however, with this one I will be better able to compare my state of mind and body and make changes to improve.

My shoulders, traps and upper back really do seem to have improved in the last 2 months (improvements that only I am likely to notice). I attribute alot of it to help that I have received here on this board and to deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts and squats. Since I am really trying to reduce my body fat at the moment, so I can bulk up again, I'm guessing that some of my future increases may actually come from getting the exercises correct (CNS adaptation) and not LM gains. I'm hopeful that the cuts will start to show some of the hard earned muscle soon.

As far as my split, it's actually posted on my first entry, however, so that you don't need to go back 1 page and check, it is as follows:

Saturday Morning (early): Chest and Back
    Monday Night (late): Legs
    Wednesday Night (late): Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps

It's the WBB #1 routine. Abs I usually do on cardio days. I'm trying to do cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I'm not too successful since I would rather sleep instead of getting up early. Might have something to do with going to bed so late.

I get fat tested next week so I be able to judge how well this latest routine is going.

(TM) Trademark of Orange357, used without permission.

Friday, April 5, 2002

Sleep: 8 hours.
    Soreness: None
    Diet: 2198 cals (221g protein, 56g fat, 207g carbs)

Overall Comments

Diet was on, maybe a little low but all good foods. Finally got some sleep last night and looking forward to some tonight.

Saturday, April 6, 2002
    Starting week 4 of the new routine.

Sleep 6 hours
    Soreness None
    Cardio: 7 mins warm-up
    Diet 2643 (250g protein, 67g fat, 232g carbs)
    Weight: ~171.5

Training: Chest and Back Ė 80 mins

• Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 6, 70 x 5 (!)

Increased the reps on this over last week. Will continue with 70's until I hit 8 and work on ROM.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 7, 6(!)

Same weight as last week, increase rep by 1.

DIPS: BW - 10 x 7, 8 (!)

A few lbs lighter this week which may attribute to the slit gain in reps. I'll try BW next week with no assistance.

Chins: BW - 30 x 6, 6 (!)

Increased reps again.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 8, 205 x 7 (!)

I broke 200 on this. Started with the bar racked this time. May have been easier, not really sure.

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 6, 8 (!)

First set was with palms facing each other, second set was with underhand grip. Looks like my bi's helped out in the second set. I also tried a slightly more erect stance. I may go back to using a different exercise since I'm not sure if my form is strict enough to reduce strain on my lower back. I seem to have felt it a bit on the lower back. Between this exercise and the deadlift, I am exhausted.

Cross Bench Pullovers: 50 x 10, 60 x 7

I really like doing these and they seem to help out the lats and the chest. So for back and chest day, this looks like a good exercise to add.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 6(!)

Looking good, I think I need to stay at this weight and focus on the ROM.

Overall Comments

Workout felt great, really tried. Took a little bit longer than last week, may have been the extra exercise that I added. The gym is definitely getting busier at 8 to 9 in the morning when I'm just about finishing. I almost didn't get a rack to do BB shrugs with. I think it's time to start earlier in the mornings on Sat.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-07-2002 at 01:15 PM.

Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 195 x 8, 205 x 7 (!)

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 6, 8 (!)

Cross Bench Pullovers: 50 x 10, 60 x 7

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 10, 275 x 6, 6(!)

Nice strength man! Lookin good deadlifts are coming up, along with the t-bar rows. All looking good. Nice pullover strength too I have been lifting 6 years and only do around 65s or 70s for pullovers. Barbell shrugs looking good too man, keep it up!!

MS

Thanks for the support, MonStar. I'm surprised that anybody thinks that my lifts are anything but wimpy. When I compare my lifts to others they are usually lacking esp. in the main ones such as squats, deadlifts and bench. So the complement is a real boost. My limbs and chest are definitely weak points.

This was the first time doing cross bench pullovers, I have usually done them with my back along the bench to protect my back from injury. However, I found these just as easy and my back was fine, so I'll continue to do the cross ones.

I was going to ask you how long you've been training, now I know. I knew it had to be awhile, you don't get to be ripped at 200 with 17" arms overnight unforunately. 6 years, you've been at it for a while. Keep up the good work as well.

Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-06-2002 at 10:41 PM.

Yeah I have been working out around 6 years now, jeez I am almost going on 7 years. Crazy a*s sh*t. Anyway I have to admit though that only the past year or 2 have I REALLY known what the f*ck I was doing.

I think that I build my frame pretty well with some good solid training when I was younger, just overtraining. 6-7 days per week. Honestly you should consider yourself VERY luck to have found WBB. It took me a while~ to find this place.

Blows the f*cking doors off of every single other message board out there. Very knowlegable folk here. Haha... I cant believe I said 'folk' but anyway. How old are you and everything like that? Yeah man your lifts arent bad at all dude!

Considering that youre a beginner, and even not considering it, you really have some serious potential. Try and work up to your bodyweight in chins and dips tough. STICK TO THE BASICS! Thats the best advice that I can give you. Dont bullsh*t around with trying to find special exercises etc.

Right now I am doing nothing but the basics and I think that I will get some real results now.

MS

Few questions bro, (1) how are you doing your t-bar rows? (2) your strength on BB shrugs is more than mine. I have always been VERY weak in barbell shrugs, dont ask me why.

MS

Mon,

the t-bar rows are on a cybex sled Plate Loaded T-bar

There is no support for the front of my chest so I'm just standing at an angled. Likely lots of strain on my lower back. We do have a chest supported T-bar, simular to the one you showed in your journal. I the support it's a bit further up the chest than what yours appears to do. Likely better support, should as the group here if either would be as effective.

I know what you mean about this board. I find it very useful reading the posts and they have convinced me to really change my routine. Now I just need to see if it will work.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-08-2002 at 11:13 PM.