The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 251 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Thrusday September 12, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 49, Cycle 1, Microcycle 3 (5's), rest day[/color]

Sleep: 6 hours

Diet:
    • I'm not even going to bother to figure this oout today. I made sure I got lost of protein but there was a fair bit of peanuts, carbs and booze. Beer, hard lemonade, scotch and wine. All in the name of keeping the customer happy.

weight: 161.

Training: rest day

Overall Comments

Nice is sunny today and not too hot. A great day to golf. Not too much exercise since we had carts but lots of swinging the golf club.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Friday September 13, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 50, Cycle 1, Microcycle 3 (5's), rest day[/color]

Diet:
    • M1: Vector w/ milk, Prolab adv. protein w/ milk - 496kcal (66p, 4f, 44c)
      M2: Tuna on whole wheat w/ mayo, milk - 432kcal (35p, 16f, 36c)
      M3: Bioprotein protein bar - 293kcal (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M4: Roast chicken breast, pasta w/ tomatoes, apple - 461kcal (46p, 12f, 42c)
      M5: Cottage cheese - 240kcal (42p, 3f, 12c)

Total 1922kcal (210p, 40f, 175c)

weight: 162.

Overall Comments

No time to do any cardio today and I didn't get down to the fitness centre for my bodyfat testing. I'll after wait until Tuesday afternoon now.

Also started some research on the negatives for tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

M1: Vector w/ milk, Prolab adv. protein w/ milk - 496kcal (66p, 4f, 44c)
    M2: Tuna on whole wheat w/ mayo, milk - 432kcal (35p, 16f, 36c)
    M4: Roast chicken breast, pasta w/ tomatoes, apple - 461kcal (46p, 12f, 42c)

Total 1922kcal (210p, 40f, 175c)
    I dont even remember what it was like to eat clean all the time rookiebldr. Haha good to see someone doing it though man. Keep up the diet. Must be a b*tch to count calories and all that. Thats the part I hated.

Thanks for the support Monstar. Much appreciated. My diet really hasn't been all that clean lately but I think I'm having more on days then off. Don't tell Orange, but my wife bought those blasted cinnibuns again. yumyum. I stayed away today but they are calling me.

If I stay on top of it, then counting the calories is not so bad. When I get behind and can't remember what I ate then it's tough. That makes it a good reason to post everyday. It also makes it easier if I eat close to the same thing everyday. But far and above everything else, I wouldn't want to do this if I had to add it up and do the calculations manually - I'm just too lazy.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 09-13-2002 at 09:04 PM.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Thanks for the support Monstar. Much appreciated. My diet really hasn't been all that clean lately but I think I'm having more on days then off. Don't tell Orange, but my wife bought those blasted cinnibuns again. yumyum. I stayed away today but they are calling me.

If I stay on top of it, then counting the calories is not so bad. When I get behind and can't remember what I ate then it's tough. That makes it a good reason to post everyday. It also makes it easier if I eat close to the same thing everyday. But far and above everything else, I wouldn't want to do this if I had to add it up and do the calculations manually - I'm just too lazy.
    Haha yeah man stay on top of your diet. Just picture yourself shredded and huge, and that will serve as motivation. Maybe try and put some motivational pictures on the fridge and look at them when you eat.

Good luck with sticking with it man. Are you going to do another HST cycle after you finish this one?

It's interesting that you comment about a motivational picture on the fridge. I've done that. Didn't really last too long since once I started last summer, I really fell in love with the lifting. However, I've been looking around for it, primarily to scan it and use it as a context picture when I finally post one of myself ripped. I'll wait until next to be huge

I'm definitely going for another round of HST. I missed my BF calc today which has given me another couple of days of experiencing this foggy notion that I've gotten bigger on HST. It may just be the relationship between stomach and chest or shoulders but I like the HST for now.

Oh, and one good thing about HST, my callouses have gotten bigger. They seemed of have plateaued for a while but they are definitely growing again - yeah.

It is likely just me trying to make this so much more complicated then it needs to be and procastinating or not thinking ahead but I find myself trying to figure out how I'm going to do the negatives without a partner. So, looking through Blood&Iron's journal, I found some questions and answers that I needed to factor in for my next two weeks of negatives. I even found one that I had asked about the negatives but never did anything with it ahead of time. Filed it away in memory for just this occastion. Thanks B&I, your journal is "...a haven for people new to lifting." or at the very least new to HST. I hope you don't mind me stealing from your journal to post the items here for future reference.

Generally with the negatives, would you continue to increase the weights each workout?

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    According to Haycock, and most HST'ers, no. According to me, yes. The thought of using the exact same weight with no possibility of progression is intolerable to me. So, rather than jumping right to my 2RM, doing 1-2 full reps and then 3-4 negatives(and using this same weight at every workout) as Haycock recommends, I prefer to start out with my 5RM and gradually add weight at every other session until I hit my 2RM or possibly exceed it by the last workout of the 2s/negs. Sometimes, I'll hold something static if it's clear I'm not going to be able to increase weight though. That's just my take, though. Since the weight is so heavy, progression is not really needed for hypertrophy. But psychologically, it is--at least in my case.

This next quote was during B&I's first round of HST. (pg 19)

That out of the way, I'd like to briefly go over how I decided to handle the negative only portion of HST. Basically, I'm performing most of my work on Hammer Strength machines, doing my movements unilaterally. I lift the weight with two arms and lower it with one over about 2 seconds(I would go slower, but Haycock has actually recommended against this as it causes less microtrauma and is nearer to a isometric contraction in effect. Again, I'm a sucker for science.) As neither squats nor the leg press are really suited to this, I've decided to pre-exhaust my legs using some isolation work, where I can do negatives only, then go onto the leg press. I had thought about dropping all compound leg work, but decided to keep a set or two of leg pressing. I do not, as this point, plan to squat at all. My legs dwarf the rest of my body, so I am quite free in experimenting with them. I am also using HMB as Haycock has recommended some times in the past. It is generally worthless, but I've found it a useful anti-catabolic during severe dietary restriction, and Haycock claims it is useful during the negative only portion of HST. Plus I have a spare bottle that's been laying around for some time. I'm taking 3g a day.

For the most part I have used my establish 5RM/the weight I used on the last day of the 5s as my jumping off point for the negatives. I'm not sure this is ideal, but we'll see how it works.
    So with that in mind, I have estabilished my starting point as the ending maxes of this week. I will also be switching up some of my exercises so that I can get a negative in. I haven't yet figured out what to do for chest other than dips. I may need to look around to see what is there. FDBP's are not going to cut it and neither is any other BB press.

Anyway, I'll post tomorrow the routine that I've ended up with just to keep everone guessing.

It's interesting that you comment about a motivational picture on the fridge. I've done that. Didn't really last too long since once I started last summer, I really fell in love with the lifting. However, I've been looking around for it, primarily to scan it and use it as a context picture when I finally post one of myself ripped. I'll wait until next to be huge

I'm definitely going for another round of HST. I missed my BF calc today which has given me another couple of days of experiencing this foggy notion that I've gotten bigger on HST. It may just be the relationship between stomach and chest or shoulders but I like the HST for now.

Oh, and one good thing about HST, my callouses have gotten bigger. They seemed of have plateaued for a while but they are definitely growing again - yeah.
    Haha alright man. Good luck with everything. Good to see that HST is working out well for you. I had a feeling that you would like it and get better results with it than the WBB routines. I dont know man. Good luck, seriously, with whatever you do.

Anyways, haha yeah calouses are always on my hands, no matter what. Jeez. Girlfriend loves how smooth they feel when I touch her neck and whatnot.

Good for you Man!! -On a side note i just had 4 pieces of pizza smothered in garlic sauce.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

So it was your breath that I smelled way up here.

Saturday September 14, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 51, Cycle 1, Microcycle 3 (5's), rest day[/color]

Sleep: 8 hours

Diet:
    • M1: Oatmeal, Prolab adv. protein w/ milk - 432kcal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Smoked salmon with rice - 272kcal (29p, 7f, 21c)
      M3: EAS HP MuscleDrive bar - 280kcal (33p, 6f, 27c)
      M4: Grilled tuna, rice, berries, wine - 678kcal (75p, 16f, 46c)

Total 1902kcal (239p, 38f, 140c)

I got up late and didn't get my 6 meals in today. I have also been trying out a few new protein bars to see if I can find any I like. This EAS was not very tasty - oatmeal and spice, uck.

weight: 160.

Overall Comments

I didn't get to bed as early as I wanted to and so I slept in. Also, as I looked at my schedule for next it looked better to workout on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday so I'll be starting the negatives tomorrow.

BEST PROTEIN BAR EVER: Bioprotein good macros and cheap, like $1.39 at GNC so i dont doubt you could find it for .50-.75
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Originally posted by Orange357
    BEST PROTEIN BAR EVER: Bioprotein good macros and cheap, like $1.39 at GNC so i dont doubt you could find it for .50-.75
    Those seem to be my staple protein bar lately. I've been buying them at Costco's for about $22 CDN for a case (12 or 15 bars). Your correct the macros are pretty good for the cost, but was wondering if the sugar content was high. I like the chocolate peanut ones the best. I've also been buying Premier Protein bars there ($18 CDN per case) which have 30g of protein instead of the 21g in Bioprotein. The lastest ones from there have been Powerbar Plus which have about 25g of protein. I'm not too sure about the sugar content in these either.

The one I had today had Metamyosyn Protein Yuck.

Sunday September 15, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 52, Cycle 1, Microcycle 4 (-'s), Workout 1[/color]

Sleep: 7 hours

Diet:[list]M1:Biotest Surge, gatorade - 446kcal (25p, 2f, 75c)
    M2:Biotest Surge - 350Kcal (25p, 2f, 49c)
    M3:Eggs, peameal bacon - 321kcal (30p, 20f, 5c)
    M4:MET-Rx Protein Plus (roasted peanut) - 320kcal (31p, 9f, 29c)
    M5:Roast chicken, salad w/ olive oil, pickeled beets - 358kcal (35p, 14f, 23c)
    M6:Cottage cheese, apple - 321kcal (42p, 4f, 33c)

totals: 2115kcal (189p, 50f, 214c)

Tried a MET-Rx protein bar today - yuck as well.

Training: Full body - 75 mins
    • This was the first day of negatives so there is lots of switching of exercises to figure this out. I kept the double sets but skipped the shrugs for today. I just felt that I was running this a bit long. Maybe once I have this worked out, I'll be able to do this a wee bit faster.

Plated loaded 45 degree Leg Press: 450 x 5, 5 (Max:410, Inc:20)

I thought if I loaded this up, I could lower these fairly slowly and just get a couple reps in. Well, managed to do 5 reps and then stopped. This was tough and I suspect that my ROM was less then before but I liked moving this weight so I'll continue this with the intent of taxing my legs. I'm going to up this a bit more next time just to see how high I can go.

Leg Extensions: 90 x 5-, 3- (Max:-,Inc:-)

I had no problem doing negatives with these. 90's was tough after the leg presses. Tried to get about a 5 second negative for each rep.

Seated leg curls: 85 x 5-, 5- (Max:-, Inc:-)

These worked very well, again tried for about 5 second return on the rep.

Dips: BW+25 x 2+3-, 2+3- (Max:BW+10, Inc:5)

I couldn't really figure out what to do for chest so I started with the dips. Tried to do 2 reps then do the negatives. I'm not crazy about these but they'll do. The decent for the negatives was about 2 seconds so not really very long.

Hammer Strength ISO Rows: 115 x 3-, 100 x 4- (Max:-, Inc:-)

I inserted these in place of the DB rows since this was easier to set up and execute as a negative. Loaded 80 lbs first but that seemed way to easy. Then went to 115 that that was too tough and could only get 3 reps out with a 3 second negative. Dropped the weight to 100 per side and managed to do 4. I'll start with 100 next outing and see if I can't get a better rep and longer time going. These actually seem better on taxing the lats then the DB rows that I was doing. Must be time to change to these next time around.

Reebok Chest Press: 10 x 4-, 5- (Max:-, Inc:-)

I'm not sure who manufactures these for Reebok but I suspect Cybex since they seem to use the same belt driven weight stacks. I was not impressed with this other then the fact that I could push with two arms and return with one. I had somewhere between 2 and 3 second return on each rep.

Cable low row: 80 x 3-, 4- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Again, looked to find another back exercise that I could perform a negative on. Tried a pull down and there was just no way that was going to work. I then switched to this and felt reasonable comfortable doing these with a 4 second return.

Cybex Shoulder Press: 70 x 3-, 3- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Switching from Hammer Strength to Cybex allowed me to use both arms to push up and one arm to take the negative. This was tough and I think I should have lowered the weight since I did not get a very good ROM. By the time I got what seemed like the mid way point through the return, my shoulder just couldn't hold this up just gave out. This still took 3-4 seconds to get to this point but the weight was likely to heavy for the lower half of the lift.

Cybex Arm Curl: 40 x 4-, 5- (Max:-, Inc:-)

From barbell curls to this machine so that I can slowly (about 10 sec) return the negative. As with most arm curl machines that I have tried, I have a hard time getting set up and getting the correct motion to either fully contract the muscle or allow the arm to fully extend. Either I'm too close with ruins the extension or I'm too far away so that I can't get the contraction. This particular machine has D-handles that rotate which should help the movement. I'll continue to adjust.

Cable Tricep Press Downs: 70 x 5-, 80 x 4- (Max:-, Inc:-)

These really taxed the triceps in a different way than the extensions. It was a nice change to do these. I was aim for about a 3 second negative which I usually got.

Cybex Plate Loaded 45 degree Calf presses: 180 x 5, 230 x 5 (Max:-, Inc:-)

Tried this machine since it was free and someone else was using the other calf raise. Actually, I like this one better. No compression on the back and seems to isolate the calves much better. Just tried to keep these slow as possible.

Weighted Declined Crunches: 45@3 x 6, 4 (Max:Not Tested, Inc:0)

By this time, I had been here too long and was thinking I needed to get home. Since I didn't do the abs last time, I wanted to make sure that I got them this time. No Negatives just slow reps.

Overall Comments

Not too much today.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 09-16-2002 at 11:33 PM.

Dips: BW+25 x 2+3-, 2+3- (Max:BW+10, Inc:5)
    Nice dip strength rookiebldr! Looking good man. I remember when you just started this journal you certainly werent doing dips with +25 lbs.

Training: Full body - 75 mins[list]

Plated loaded 45 degree Leg Press:
    Leg Extensions:
    Seated leg curls:
    Dips:
    negative chins
    Hammer Strength ISO Rows:
    Reebok Chest Press:
    Cable low row:
    Cybex Shoulder Press:
    Cybex Arm Curl:
    Cable Tricep Press Downs:
    Cybex Plate Loaded 45 degree Calf presses:
    Weighted Declined Crunches:

[/B]
    I just wanted to comment that I, personally, think it might be a good idea to drop some of these exercises, as it almost seems to me that you've increased your volume over what you were doing for the previous mini-cycles(maybe I'm wrong here as I didn't go back to check) I'm approaching my 3rd negative mini-cycle. I've found reducing the volume on the negatives is a good if not mandatory idea I originally tried doing something along the lines of what you've got here on my 1st time through HST, but I really think that less is more when it comes to the negative minicycle. I've bolded what(in my very subjective opinion) you should keep--along with adding one exercise. I'd also probably only do one set.

I should say I really love one-armed HS rows, though, so you could probably keep those too(I always think people can use extra lat work and less chest work)

If you push on your knees with your hands, it sorta can allow you to do negative only leg presses(the potential for hurting yourself is kinda high, though)

Haycock has also said the negative should be kept to 2-3s as longer than that it begins to resemble an isometric contraction in certain ways(basically, a longer eccentric causes less muscle damage, and you want muscle damage)

Also if you start feeling run down, I really have noticed a big difference when using HMB during the negatives(it doesn't have nearly as big an effect during the 15's, 10's, and 5's, though)
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 09-16-2002 at 10:18 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by MonStar

Nice dip strength rookiebldr! Looking good man. I remember when you just started this journal you certainly werent doing dips with +25 lbs.

Thanks MonStar, your correct they were all assisted. I too am pleased that I can do dips with weight - even if it is only 2 reps (at 25). It kinda nice putting the 25lb plate on the assistance pad to let it drop out of the way. I do remember starting last year and I could barely do one rep at bw.

Some day I'll work on my chins.

I just wanted to comment that I, personally, think it might be a good idea to drop some of these exercises, as it almost seems to me that you've increased your volume over what you were doing for the previous mini-cycles(maybe I'm wrong here as I didn't go back to check) I'm approaching my 3rd negative mini-cycle. I've found reducing the volume on the negatives is a good if not mandatory idea I originally tried doing something along the lines of what you've got here on my 1st time through HST, but I really think that less is more when it comes to the negative minicycle. I've bolded what(in my very subjective opinion) you should keep--along with adding one exercise. I'd also probably only do one set.
    Your correct, my volume has gone up over the last few weeks. Once I started the 5's and added in the double sets, the time has been longer (65-75mins), workouts more intense and sets are now averaging 24-26 in number not counting the warm-ups. I started off with 12 sets when I was doing the 15's. I was concerned with my time under tension or load which was the original reason for increasing the number of sets. I also found under the 5's, with the lighter weights, I could still whip through the routine fairly fast since I didn't need to wait as long between sets. I'm not out of breath at all - (seems to be one of my gauges on an intense workout or not since I've aways felt that my workouts have not been intensive enough). This also tends to be true with most of the negatives.

I do like the routine you have recommended above. The chins would be a better alternative to the pull down and stress the same muscle. The chest press was a joke and besides, I had to move out of the weight area and into the circuit training area.

I should say I really love one-armed HS rows, though, so you could probably keep those too(I always think people can use extra lat work and less chest work)
    After having done them Sunday (it's been about 9 months since I last did these in a regular routine) it was nice to do them again. They work much better then the DB rows. I don't remember getting this much weigh on them before so maybe the rows have helped out. Funny, the reason I put DB rows in this routine orginally was because I handn't done them in a long time and felt I needed to change things up a bit. I'll keep them and rely on the dips to do something for my chest.

If you push on your knees with your hands, it sorta can allow you to do negative only leg presses(the potential for hurting yourself is kinda high, though)
    I'll try this but I doubt I can add enough assistance with my arms to effectively take much of the strain off my quads. I hope I don't squeeze my legs as much as I do the hand rails.

Haycock has also said the negative should be kept to 2-3s as longer than that it begins to resemble an isometric contraction in certain ways(basically, a longer eccentric causes less muscle damage, and you want muscle damage)
    Interesting, it rings a bell. Do I need to increase the weights if I can hold out longer than 2 or 3 seconds? Seems short. If I do increase the weights, I will be able to hold out the first rep for 3 seconds, rep 2 for 2, but the the final 3 reps may be "toast". I'm esp. thinking of the arm curl where there seems to a very short curve to over powering my arms as I increase weights.

Also if you start feeling run down, I really have noticed a big difference when using HMB during the negatives(it doesn't have nearly as big an effect during the 15's, 10's, and 5's, though)
    Maybe that was what was partly wrong with me last week. I have started to take the HMB for the last two weeks (during the 5's) but read the directions on the package instead I read the exchange between Marcel and you. I have since split my dosages up throughout the day and ensured that I got them just before and just after the workouts. That started this week. If this actually does anything, I likely continue it for awhile. Other than EC, I've rarely actually notice anything with supps. I may not be in tune with my body all that much.

I've also started taking creatine (last 5-6 weeks) and glutamine again (1 week).

p.s. thanks for posting, it is very much appreciated and welcomed.

Monday September 16, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 53, Cycle 1, Microcycle 4 (-'s), Rest day[/color]

Diet:
    • M1:Biotest Surge - 350kcal (25p, 2f, 49c)
      M2:Various Sandwiches, olives, cheese, milk - 610Kcal (36p, 33f, 44c)
      M3:Carrot cake - 119kcal (1p, 6f, 15c)
      M4:Bioprotein bar, apple, coffee (double, double) - 468kcal (22p, 9f, 76c)
      M5:Smoked salmon, rice - 329kcal (34p, 7f, 28c)
      M6:Cottage cheese - 240kcal (42p, 3f, 12c)

totals: 2116kcal (160p, 61f, 224c)

A little low on the protein vs the carbs today. I was away in Kingston today, so meal two was what they brought in for the meeting. On the drive home, I decide to stop at Tim Hortons and get a large coffee double, double. I have been drinking my coffee's black/no sugar for 6 months now, but I really felt it was time to splurge and get something with fat and sugar in it. Oh it was so much better than black. Tomorrow it's back to black-no sugar.

Training: Rest day

Overall Comments

I stopped in to see my parents on the way up to Kingston (it's about 3 hour drive away) and they thought I had lost weight again. I have maybe just maybe, lost 2 lbs since the last time, but maybe it's all body fat. Testing tomorrow!
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 09-16-2002 at 11:32 PM.

Well another month and another bodyfat update. My weight has been staying pretty steady this past month with my calories staying in and around maintenance. I had been feeling that maybe, just maybe I could have grown a little while losing fat. Well no as previously discussed above. Anyway here we go for September.

[code]
    Site March April May June July August September

Chest 9.8 9.4 8.7 7.4 7.5 7.1 6.8
    Abdomen 23.0 22.3 21.0 23.2 21.4 19.8 20.0
    Thigh 12.6 11.4 12.6 10.4 9.8 9.2 9.2
    Triceps 11,0 11.0 8.7 10.0 8.6 8.4 8.4
    Biceps 4.4 4.4 5.2 4.5 4.6 4.3 4.3
    Subscapular 20.4 19.1 18.7 17.2 17.2 18.0 17.5
    Suprailliac 20.3 19.0 17.4 17.4 17.4 15.0 13.4
    Axilla 22.5 22.0 20.4 17.8 19.2 18.6 18.4

7 Site Method 19.1% 18.4% 17.5% 16.9% 16.7% 16.0% 15.6%

Weight 174.0 172.0 168.0 165.0 165.0 163.0 162.0
    Lean Muscle 140.7 140.0 138.7 137.1 137.5 137.0 136.7
    Fat 33.3 31.6 29.3 27.9 27.5 26.0 25.3

[/code]

Well there they are. Down a bit in BF% from last month and down 1lb. It's always nice to see the BF% numbers go down. So that's about 12 lbs in 6 months or 2 lbs a month on average. 4 lbs of muscle and 8 lbs of fat according to the numbers. It was interesting to see the drop in the hip area since that is where I feel I've lost the most size, i.e. my pants were fitting looser and it seems to have come off at the sides of my waist. I can also start to see my lats coming through so my upper side torso is also containing less fat.

As far as measurements, I'm down another half inch in the waist (34.5) and my biceps are shrinking not that they could get much smaller. All other measurements have stayed the same, no increase and no decreases.

If I was to compare with last year, I'm getting pretty close to the numbers that I had in the summer months. I'm also pretty well dead on to the same weight - give or take a pound with this BF%. So, I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions, I have. However, when I look visually, I've convinced myself that there is more muscle there and I guess that's what counts.

Tuesday September 17, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 54, Cycle 1, Microcycle 4 (-'s), Rest day[/color]

Sleep: 5 hours

Diet:
    • M1: Oatmeal, Prolab Adv protein w/ milk - 432kcal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Tuna on whole wheat w/ mayo - 279Kcal (27p, 8f, 24c)
      M3: Grilled salmon on rice & veggies, beer - 528Kcal (35p, 14f, 41c)
      M4: Cottage cheese, apple - 241kcal (28p, 3f, 29c)
      M5: Pasta with sauted shrimp & tomatoes - 434kcal (55p, 3f, 41c)
      M6: Biotest Surge, Gatorade - 446kcal (25p, 2f, 75c)

totals: 2360kcal (230p, 34f, 246c)

Training: Full Body - 60 min
    • So, taking some of B&I's suggestions into account, I have modified my routine by dropping a few exercises and changing in a few others. This now brought it back into a one hour routine. I have continued to do two sets per exercise since I still don't think I getting enough of a workout without this. It maybe more of a mind game, but I sometimes need the second set to ensure that I have actually got the exercise done, worked out the kink in the first set, ensure the concentration is there, etc etc etc. Also I haven't programmed out the weight for the negatives, I'm still trying to get the timings with weights and rep combination at an optimal level. Once established, I do not plan on increasing my weights through this cycle.

Plated loaded 45 degree Leg Press: 450 x 5-, 500 x 5- (Max:410, Inc:50)

So the intent here was to try B&I suggestion and use my arms to push on my legs. Using some lighter warmup weights, I managed to work out the mechanics. (Nice upper body exercise as well) After doing the 450, it just seemed like I could go higher since I wasn't going to rely on my legs to do all of the pushing. I know I can use a bit more tomorrow. This was tough, but the ROM was better and form was great.

Leg Extensions: 100 x 5-, 3- (Max:-,Inc:10)

After leg press, I still felt I needed to hammer the quads a bit more. These were tough and ROM was poor. No problem getting the arm up, but as soon as I let go one of the legs, it dropped 1/3 of the way before the negative leg could stabilize the arm and allow for the decent. I have too much weight at the fully contracted phase and then not enough at the mid point since I could hold it there for more than the 3 secs.

Seated leg curls: 100 x 4-, 95 x 3- (Max:-, Inc:15)

Not bad and not too good. I should have just used 95 lbs.

Dips: BW+25 x 5-, 4- (Max:BW+10, Inc:0)

No real problems here. Warmed up with 2 light sets of bw dips then added the weight and away I went.

Chins: BW x 3-, 2- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Well, this was something else. Esp. since I haven't been doing these and my best at BW chins is maybe 3 reps with a reverse grip. I decided that I should use a more traditional grip and wider arm placement. Seemed like a good idea at the time - you know hitting the lats more and not the biceps. Well after positioning and leaping off the foot holds, down I go. It's almost all I can do just to hang on let alone lower my body the rest of the 6 inches. I likely employed every back muscle, shoulder, trap and arm muscle to lower myself just to stand on the foot rests to do it all over again. The second set was a bit better and I'm sure this will come along with a more fluid graceful motion overtime - one that makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

Hammer Strength ISO Rows: 115 x 5-, 140 x 3- (Max:-, Inc:-)

B&I, I do like these as well. I felt the 115's was a bit easy and not really stressing my back enough. So I upped it to 140. The timing was better but I just couldn't keep the reps going. I'll try 130 per side on my next workout.

Cybex Shoulder Press: 70 x 4-, 3- (Max:-, Inc:-)

I watch myself a bit more in the mirror (also some guy was training a hot chick how to squat in the squat rack which as it happened was in my direct line of sight to me in the mirror) to see where I was dropping the weight on this one. It happens to be right at the point where my arms are parallel to the floor. As soon as that happens, there is too much weight and shoulders drop. I'll continue at this weight and try to get past the drop zone.

Cybex Arm Curl: 60 x 3-/2-, 55 x 4- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Not to good here today. I couldn't get the seat right and the arm positions was all wrong to get a good contraction and negative. Likely too much weight.

Cybex Plate Loaded 45 degree Calf presses: 230 x 10, 6 (Max:-, Inc:-)

Still like this one better, nice and slow. good contraction.

Weighted Declined Crunches: 45@3 x 8, 5 (Max:Not Tested, Inc:0)

Not too bad except I felt this a bit in my lower back.

Overall Comments

nada

Wednesday September 18, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 55, Cycle 1, Microcycle 4 (-'s), Rest day[/color]

Sleep: 7 hours

Diet:
      M2: Tuna on whole wheat w/ mayo - 279Kcal (27p, 8f, 24c)
      M4: Eggs, peameal bacon, ice cream, wine - 737kcal (46p, 31f, 33c)

totals: 1741kcal (154p, 49f, 133c)

The calories are really low, basically unintentially. I think I might of eaten a bit more for dinner but I wasn't really all that hungry. I was beat from not sleeping very well the past few nights so I went to bed early and thus prior to having my late night meal.

Training: Rest day

Overall Comments

nada.

Haven't posted in here for a little while...

On your bodyfat test...
    I think your results are quite good. Of course, they don't represent a huge change, but as I've said a thousand times I really do think slow and steady is the way to do things. Still, you might want to consider just doing a week long refeed once you hit SD as you've been dieting now for a very extended period. A week of eating slightly above maintenance might put on a small bit of weight but would help to normalize some of your hormones and I think woud ultimately help you to lose weight.

On the revisions to your routine
    I didn't meant to suggest pressing on your legs so as to do negative only leg presses. I simply wanted to let you know it was a possiblity(Otherwise, you're confined strictly to isolation stuff--which isn't necessarily bad.) I still think it's fairly risky due to the fact that if you hit failure you won't have the option of pressing the weight up with your arms as you normally would as they'll already be exhausted. I'd also suspect performing the exercise in this manner probably puts a fair amount of stress on the knee joint(Though, I don't really know) You have to make the call as to whether these risks are worth it.

I wasn't quite sure but it sounds like you're doing your chins palms away. You probably already know this, but doing them with a supinated grip(palms facing you) will put your bicep in much more biomechanically-advantaged position, and shouldn't compromise how much you hit your lats. I doubt you'll have any problem doing a full 6 negative only reps in this fashion.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Thursday September 19, 2002
    [color=orange-red]
    Hypertrophy Specific Training: Day 56, Cycle 1, Microcycle 4 (-'s), Workout 3[/color]

Sleep: 8 hours

Diet:
      M2: Premier Protein bar - 281Kcal (30p, 8f, 24c)
      M3: Biotest Surge, Gatorade - 446kcal (25p, 2f, 75c)
      M4: Tuna on whole wheat w/ mayo, milk - 432Kcal (35p, 16f, 36c)
      M5: Hamburger + 1 pattie - 652kcal (48p, 35f, 31c)
      M6: Cottage cheese - 240kcal (25p, 2f, 75c)

totals: 2483kcal (240p, 69f, 213c)

Training: Full Body - 45 min
    • I took off in the middle of the day to fit this in so I cut some exercises out to shorten a bit. Leg extension went bye bye as well as the chicken flying acrobats that I was doing on the chin up bar. That just means on Saturday, I'll try to do a better job on the negative chins.

Plated loaded 45 degree Leg Press: 500 x 5-, 5- (Max:410, Inc:0)

I decided after warming up with 3 sets of lighter weights just to stay where I was from last time. Two set of these does seem to be fine although I might try more next week. Trying to focus back on my form before going up in weight and these seem fine. Not sure if I'm going low enough, but my knees/thighs are almost touching my chest. If I spread my knees more I could get down a bit more but I'll likely leave them here for now.

Seated leg curls: 95 x 4-, 90 x 5- (Max:-, Inc:0)

These were better at the 90's so I'll keep them here.

Dips: BW+25 x 5-, BW+30 x 5- (Max:BW+10, Inc:0)

I warmed up with a two sets of 5 bw dips then on to these negatives. Didn't really seem to notice the increase of 5 lbs so I'll start off with these next time.

Hammer Strength ISO Rows: 125 x 5-, 125 x 5- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Fairly solid set of negatives. I did a lighter set of 5 reps first for a warmup.

Cybex Shoulder Press: 65 x 5-, 60 x 5- (Max:-, Inc:-)

Still trying to get these to tax my shoulders. Although the higher weights with less reps and ROM seem to do a better job. The 60 lbs did allow for a greater ROM before the should gave out.

Cybex Arm Curl: 50 x 5-, 3- (Max:-, Inc:-)

I still am not a fan of this machine. I never seem to have my arm in the right place to do a really good contraction on any of the machines that I've tried verse a free weight. That being said, I managed 5 reps at 50 and had trouble with getting the 3 reps on the second set.

Cybex Plate Loaded 45 degree Calf presses: 230 x 5, 5 (Max:-, Inc:-)

Nothing to write home to mamma about but a good set never the less. Just keeping them exercised.

Weighted Declined Crunches: 45@1 x 8 (Max:Not Tested, Inc:0)

The bench was at it's highest incline setting so I left it there and just did one set of 8.

Overall Comments

Not too much today.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 09-19-2002 at 09:40 PM.

On your bodyfat test...
    I think your results are quite good. Of course, they don't represent a huge change, but as I've said a thousand times I really do think slow and steady is the way to do things. Still, you might want to consider just doing a week long refeed once you hit SD as you've been dieting now for a very extended period. A week of eating slightly above maintenance might put on a small bit of weight but would help to normalize some of your hormones and I think woud ultimately help you to lose weight.
    cheat time coming - there is a cinni bun with my name on it. Yea, this does sound like a good idea. It might also be good to up the carbs more and lower the protein a bit. I could likely get away with 160g of protein during SD and add the 60g + the refeed to the either the carb or fat macros.

On the revisions to your routine
    I didn't meant to suggest pressing on your legs so as to do negative only leg presses. I simply wanted to let you know it was a possiblity(Otherwise, you're confined strictly to isolation stuff--which isn't necessarily bad.) I still think it's fairly risky due to the fact that if you hit failure you won't have the option of pressing the weight up with your arms as you normally would as they'll already be exhausted. I'd also suspect performing the exercise in this manner probably puts a fair amount of stress on the knee joint(Though, I don't really know) You have to make the call as to whether these risks are worth it.
    Actually this was a good suggestion. I'm not reaching failure on these yet and the arms are just assisting enough so that I have no problems raising the sled with my legs. It takes just enough of the strain off them. No problem with the joints either. I'll continue to risk it since I like the stress it is puting on my full leg and glutes where the extensions seems to focus more on my lower thigh.

I wasn't quite sure but it sounds like you're doing your chins palms away. You probably already know this, but doing them with a supinated grip(palms facing you) will put your bicep in much more biomechanically-advantaged position, and shouldn't compromise how much you hit your lats. I doubt you'll have any problem doing a full 6 negative only reps in this fashion.
    Your correct, I did do them palms away. Don't know why I decided to do them that way when I've almost always done them with a supinated grip or palms facing each other. Actually I do know why - for some reason I was thinking that I should really take the biceps out of the picture more and focus more on the lats but as you have pointed out there may not be as big of a compromise as I thought. It definitely did get at the lats. As you may see above, I stayed away from them altogether today since I was a bit short for time and felt the ISO rows would do the job anyway.