The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 251 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    rookiebldr-
    That link doesnt work man, not sure why. Yeah the incline rowing machine that I am using is f*cking incredible bro. Awesome pumps in my back from it, great feeling of exaustion in my lats etc. Yours is the Cybex t-bar row? Try and fix the link or whatever dude I wanna see what you mean.

MS

I've fixed the link. I had edited the wrong part of the tag.

Oh yeah okay man I see what youre saying now dude. Nice exercise. I prefer mine but whatever its all good.

MS

Sunday, April 7, 2002

Sleep: 9 hours - wonderfull.
    Soreness: Chest and upper tri's.
    Cardio: None
    Diet: 2172 cals (229g protein, 41g fat, 209g carbs)
    Weight: ~171

Training: Rest Day

Overall Comments

Diet was definitely low today since I stayed up late and slept in. Getting my ass in gear by noon meant I missed two meals.

Monday, April 8, 2002

Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 6 hours.
    Soreness: none
    Cardio: none
    Diet: 2612 (305g protein, 34g fat, 264g carbs)
    weight: 171.0

Training: Leg Day - 50 mins.
    • Squats: 185 x 5, 3 D 135 x 6

P*ssed, that's all I can say. I was beat after the first set, huffing and puffing. I thought I was ready for the second, nope. Couldn't do any more than 3 reps and died. Again dropped the quarters and did 6 more. This is p*ssing me off.

Hack Squats: 140 x 8, 160 x 10 (!)

I placed my legs higher up the angled plate and this seem to allow me to go deeper into the squat. I also seemed to able to push more up instead of into the back rest. I'm hoping I had better leverage. Unfortunately, I looked at the wrong week for my starting weight. I increased it from 130 which was fine, except last week I had hit 150. That's what I get for not detailing out the weight I'm going to use prior to the workout. This will plague me thought the night on the other exercises as well.

Leg Curls: 130 x 6.5, 5.5 (!)

These felt good. Almost made the extra rep, but just couldn't get the last little squeeze for full vertical. I was up on rep from last week on the second set.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6

This really p*ssed me off. I thought this would be the first time over 200 on this one. I had remember that I had gotten 205 on the Dead Lift but forgot that I was already at 205 on SLDL. When I looked in my journal to set up I looked at the wrong week like above. So I did the same rep as last time. Could I have squeezed out more weight, probably. Doing an extra rep may have been difficult, but I know I could have psyched myself up with an extra 10 lbs.

Calf Raises: 220 x 14, 260 x 11,

It was at this point that I found out that I had looked at the wrong week and I got mad at myself for being so stupid. Decided to do two sets and call it quits.

Overall Comments

Not much to say.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Squats: 185 x 5, 3 D 135 x 6

P*ssed, that's all I can say. I was beat after the first set, huffing and puffing. I thought I was ready for the second, nope. Couldn't do any more than 3 reps and died. Again dropped the quarters and did 6 more. This is p*ssing me off.

Impressive weights man! Dont be too hard on yourself. Not yet anyways haha youll get turned off of bodybuilding all together. Anyway bro weights and intensity look good, along with strength.

Stiff-Leg Dead Lift: 205 x 5, 6

This really p*ssed me off.

I dont know how poundages like this COULD piss you off but hey whatever blows your hair back. Haha foreal though dude this is a lotta weight and youre a rookie man dont even sweat it.

MS

Sleep: 6 hours.

This is the only problem that I see. This could be halting your goals a little bit bumping this to 7+ hours a night usually seems to help most people out.

MS

MonStar-

Thanks, you are so kind. I'm over it. It wasn't so much the actual lift as it was the fact that I would have put an extra 10 or 20 lbs on the bar and attempted that if I had known that I had already done 205. When I did 205 for 5, I felt great, since I thought I was doing so much better than last week. I don't feel that I've reached my limit on the lift yet, more that I run out of steam and therefore need I stop the reps. I may infact be able to do a heavier set. Don't really know, but I want to increase week by week until I find that limit. I know I'm approaching it, just not sure where it is.

It's like the 45 degree hack squat. Every week I keep putting more weight on, trying different stances and gauging how low I'm going on the squat. I will reach the point where I will know how this exercise is suppose to be performed on this machine, I guessing that eventually it will feel comfortable.

In the squat, I think I have reached a point where I need to get by a sticking point so putting more weight on is just not going to get me by it. I just can't do more reps at this weight at the moment and I need something to develop so I can proceed. Next week I might try higher reps with a lower weight and see if that helps.

6 hours is bad I know but it's a matter of priorities. Sleep is just not high on the list. I know what your saying, it's exactly why I have included the hours in my journal to track how little sleep I'm getting. Last night's was a pitiful 4 hours. Afternoon naps would work really well if it wasn't for work. I think if I can try and get 7-8 hours sleep on the night prior to the workout, that may allow me to see an improvement.

Oh well, again thanks for looking in and helping out.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-09-2002 at 07:56 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Yeah man not a problem, I try to check out your journal everytime I have a chance.

MS

... Just added effervescent creatine & glutamine to my refeed meal supplements, well see how that turns out!

I'm still taking my glutamine peptides with every protein drink, 5 grams per drink. That works out to about 10 grams on non-workout days and 20 grams on workout days.

I was taking creatine on off for a year. Cell Tech, PowerStack (a Cell Tech knock off - what can I say, I'm a rookie and will try anything to get bigger) as well as just straight creatine Mono. mixed with juice or water. I usually notice an initial weight gain and then nothing. I figured it was just the sugar and water. Who knows, I'll try it again this summer.

I'm still taking an ECA stack. I had some left over Dorian Yates T5 thermogenics which I was also stacking with the ECA. Worked really well for a while. Ran out so I'm back to just ECA.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Tuesday, April 9, 2002

Sleep: 4 hours
    Soreness: Butt again, quads and hams (minor).
    Diet: 2238 cals (245g protein, 41g fat, 225g carbs)
    Weight: ~170.5

Overall Comments

As I pointed out above, need to sleep more. I've been getting to the gym later and later. I think I need to move my timing up a little so that I get home at a more reasonable hour and can start to relax. We'll see what happens tomorrow. It's shoulder, bi and tri day. Yippee, I love pumped arms.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Diet looking good man, just try and work on the sleep. Maybe try and pick up some 3 mg. melatonin tabs theyll help knock you out at night man haha. Work good.

... Glutamine peptides are awesome by the way and so is ECA stack.

MS

Wednesday, April 10, 2002
    Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 7 hours
    Soreness: legs and butt - just a dull soreness when flexed.
    Cardio: none.
    Diet: 2632 cals (243g protein, 75g fat, 220g carb)
    Weight: ~169.5

Training: Shoulder, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins.
    • HS ISO Shoulder Press (per side): 75 x 5N, 5N (!)

Ok, the HS ISO press was free today and I went right for it. I needed to verify that I had used 70's per side the last time so I increased the weight by 5 over two weeks ago after warming up. Since I couldn't 6 reps, I decide to do a negative on both sets.

Seated Smith Military Press: 115 x 2, 95 x 3, 85 x 7

This time I switched to the Smith Machine to try the militaries on so that I could work the motion better. I started with 115 and went down until I could get 6-8 reps which seem to at 85lbs. This felt a bit more comfortable than last week and I'll try another set next week to see if work out how to make sure my back doesn't arch during the lift.

Seated Dumbell Press: 40 x 8 (!), 45 x 3 D 40 x 3

Tried the 40 with 8 reps so I thought maybe I was ready for the 45's. Nope, had to drop back to the 40's and get 3 more reps.

Close Grip Bench Press: 115 x 5 (!), 4

Increased a little over last week, I think I'll stay here until I get a few more reps out of it.

Skulls - Lying Tricep Extensions with Barbell: 60 x 5+2, 5+2

Down from last week. I took a little too long on the first set of 60 for 5, had to pause for 15 secs. and then rep out 2 more. So I tried the second set a little faster, same thing at 5 reps, pause for 15 and then 2 more.

Seated DB Tricep Extensions: 45 x 8

H*ll, just felt like doing these to end the tricep work.

Barbell Curls: 70 x 8, 8(!)

Up one rep, seemed easy, even though the last rep on the second set I had to break out of form and use my back a little to contract. Decided to make it a very slow return.

Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 10

Same as last week.

Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 50 x 7

Nice to finish off with these.

Overall Comments

Need to calc. my calories. I was late getting to the gym - needed to see the Blue Jays beat the Yankees. As a result, I didn't get my protein drink in prior to the workout.

Did you know cheesecake is a poor protein source - 309 cals, 8g of protein, 17.5g of fat and 29g of carbs - but it's mighty tasty. I suspect that my diet is shot for today once I add up the cals.

Ok, calculated my calories, a little high on the fat and I know that the numbers are a little low since I couldn't remember everything that I ate for dinner - it was a buffet and I pigged out a little with meat and seafood. I should probably add 200cals more to the above.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-11-2002 at 01:37 PM.

MonStar, thanks for the hint on the melatonin, I really don't have a problem sleeping once I get in the bed. It's the getting there I have the problem with. Once in I sleep great, usually.

Today, I was up a 7, so I got a good 7 hours sleep last night. However, I got away from work at 6:00pm to go the Baseball game. It was late ending, I was with some guests from Mexico so I couldn't really leave too early and the game was great anyway. So it was 11:30pm by the time I got my gym clothes, off to the gym, warmup and workout, home by 1:00am. Now I'm updating this journal while I drink my post workout / nighttime protein. It's no wonder I don't get any sleep.

Time to go.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-11-2002 at 12:19 AM.

Thrusday, April 11, 2002
    Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 4 hours again!
    Soreness: Butt (minor). Tri-back-delt tie in seemed to be sore or pumped all day.
    Diet: xxxx cals (xxxg protein, xxg fat, xxxg carbs)
    Weight: ~172.0

Overall Comments

I feel great, my shoulders just felt pumped all day long even though I know they weren't. Not really sore like legs, but heavy and trying to pull my back to the front. Likely not describing it properly. Felt great anyway.

Tonight, I get some sleep.

I only got 6 hours sleep last night, check my journal. tuttuttuttut Pathetic I know I am trying to give you advice and I am not even following my own advice. Pathetic.

MS

Yep, I noticed.

I thought of some new goals. I want to look big enough that someone actually says to me "Do you lift weights?" Now that would be cool People have only noticed that I have lost weight.

Yeah haha eventually man once you get some size and sh*t like that going on it will be obvious that youre really serious about working out. Even in full clothes its pretty obvious to everyone that I bodybuild etc. I think.

MS

Here is some info on melatonin that I found in one of my nutrition/supplement books.

• Melatonin: .5 - 3 mg. before bedtime. Melatonin is a pineal hormone realeased at night; it regulates sleep. Low melatonin release at night is associated with chronic insomnia. In addition to promoting sleep, melatonin supplements can adjust human circadian rhythms. To induce sleep and keep your circadian rhythms early, take melatonin a 9:00 PM, which is about the time when it naturally beings to rise in your blood. Melatonin can be taken earlier or later, depending on when you want to be sleepy, and timed-released tablets are available to prevent reawakening. If you experience bad dreams or morning light-headedness, cut the dose until the symtoms dissapear and slowly raise them again.

MS

MonStar,

Thanks for the information. I got 7 hours last night, slept wonderfully. Maybe I'll try the Melatonin just in case. If you see on this board past midnight, tell me to get my *ss to bed since I need my sleep.

Friday, April 12, 2002
    Week 4 of WBB #1

Sleep: 7 hours
    Soreness: none
    Diet: xxxx cals (xxxg protein, xxg fat, xxxg carbs)
    Weight: 172.0

Overall Comments

I felt good today with all that sleep. I had hoped to make two days in a row, but guess what, I back to updating this journal.

I got my bodyfat tested today. My ritual which I have been doing every month for a year. I tell myself that I use as a gauge to know if I'm improving or not. That's what I tell myself, however, I'm so anal about it, that I do all the follow up cals to see if I've gained any muscle or not, compare which sites have improved etc. I just end up depressing myself. Then I go do it again, hoping beyond hope that the next month will see some positive changes instead of just looking in the mirror to see the results.

Anyway, I post the results tomorrow, it's likely time to create a stats post anyway. I'm down in BF% at least, I just thought it was a lot more.

Since it's chest and back day tomorrow, I'll be in a great mood after the workout - all those endorphins running around in my body will do it good.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-12-2002 at 11:15 PM.

Good luck tomorrow man with the bf% testing...

MS

Saturday, April 13, 2002
    Starting week 5 of WBB #1

Sleep 5 hours
    Soreness None
    Cardio: 5 mins warm-up
    Diet 2719cals (283g protein, 55g fat, 224g carbs)
    Weight: 172

Training: Chest and Back Ė 60 mins

• Dumbbell Bench Press: 70 x 6, 70 x 5

Same as last week.

Inclined Dumbbell Press: 55 x 7, 6

Same reps and weight as last week

DIPS: BW x 6, 6 (!)

Yes, I went for no assisstance on these and cranked out 6. On the second set, I really tried for the 7 rep but after moving a few inches, I just couldn't get my chest to co-operate. With out the assisstance now, my leg and hips started to wave back and forth so it took more effort to control the movement and balancing. Definitely better this way, I hardly wait to start adding weight.

Chins: BW - 30 x 7, 6 (!)

Increased reps on the first set, same reps as last week on the second set.

Deadlifts: 215 x 6, 6 (!)

Last week it as 205, so this week I increased by 10 again. Next week I will definitely go for two plates per side. I still don't think I reached the max here for 6. I out of breath, heart is pumping like crazy but I don't think every muscle is fully working to get this lift going. I definitely starting to feel this in my butt today.

Padded T-Bar Rows (Icarian): 85 x 6, 6

Well, I switched to a padded T-Bar device to give my chest some support on this exercise. I think the this will help me focus on the exercise more. I suspect that the exercise isolates the back muscle better. However, I don't think that is the intent of doing the T-bars in this routine. The routine seems to focus on compound exercises to get as many muscles working as much as possible.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 8, 8, 10

So I dropped the weight from last week to focus more on contracting at the top of the traps. This was better in that regard.

Standing Dumbbell Shrugs: 70 x 9, 10

My grip sucks with this one. On the first set, I couldn't keep the DB from tilting down and rubbing the back of my hands. I just had to put the things back. Second set decided to grip further back and I still couldn't hang on to it. My traps didn't really feel this. I know I'm going to have problems moving up in the DB area if I can't hold onto the weights.

Overall Comments

Workout felt great however I need to increase the intensity on the chest. I'm expecting to feel really sore in my chest and I'm not. Got to gym earlier to day and that was better, no problem with getting the equipment.

Diet was a bit high but it was an earlier day and a workout day - I over did dinner a bit with some olive oil and shrimp.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-13-2002 at 09:25 PM.

STATS Page

I will attempt to keep this page update (idea stolen from Sebi's and MonStar's journals) with past and current Stats for monitoring progress. I'm sure I'll modify the format as I go along and add more stats but here is a start.

General Stats
      Height: 5ft 7in
      Physical Fitness Level: good - getting better day by day.
      Smoking: quit 10 years ago, likely stunted my growth, definitely didn't help pack on weight when I was young - graduated HS at a lean 120lbs

Body Fat and Lean Muscle Analysis

Thanks to Fart Barker's post a little while ago, I now have several new calculations for determining my Body Fat level. You can find Fart Barker's Body Fat Spreadsheet by clicking the link.

I have the same person take skin fold measurements on a monthly basis usually around the 12th of the month. She is the manager and fitness training of a small gym, the one I started out in. It's convienent and gives me consistentancy. I have doubted her 3 site method and calculations a number of times over the past year, however as inaccurate as it is, I can use it as a basis for progress. She was also willing to perform all nine measurements identified in the above spreadsheet so I now have a new base of information to go forward with.

• Original Method:

This method uses a 3 sites, triceps, subscapular and supraillic.
      Apr 2001: W:175____BF%:27%____LM:128____BF:47
      Jul 2001: W:155____BF%:20%____LM:123____BF:31*
      Aug 2001: W:155____BF%:19%____LM:125____BF:30**

... After bulking or adding fat ...

Mar 2002: W:174____BF%:24%____LM:133____BF:41

... Now cutting again...

Apr 2002: W:172____BF%:23%____LM:133____BF:39
      May 2002: W:168___BF%:22%_____LM:131____BF:37
      * lowest lean muscle calculated.
      ** lowest body fat calculated.

New Method:

The spreadsheet has 7 different test for body fat. Interesting enough, none are match up to the method that is used above. None of the tests resulted in body fat percentages as high as above, so using some rationalization I have concluded that the spreadsheet must be better.

Using the median of the 7 different tests, I get the following results:[code]
      April 2002 Wgt: 172 Median BF: 18.0% LM: 143.0 BF: 29.0
      May 2002 Wgt: 168 Median BF: 16.9% LM: 140.8 BF: 27.2
      June 2002 Wgt: 165 Median BF: 16.3% LM: 138.7 BF: 26.3
      [/code]

Measurements

Still to come.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-18-2002 at 10:42 PM.

DIPS: BW x 6, 6 (!)

Congrats bro, I knew that you had it in you. Great strength man, keep it up! I dont get it man, your bf% went up? Whatsup with that?

MS