The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 41 of 251 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 6252
    Excellent back day Rookie. I'm sure you'll get 3 plates in no time...almost there. Have you thought of using a supported T-bar? Kind of takes the guess work out of positioning, etc.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Nice back workout rookie! I don't see how you do those late night workouts. I wouldn't have enough energy to drive there much less do a workout too.

The free standing t-bar rows are a little different. Especially after deadlifts because your legs and lower back are a little fatigued. Like ec said, you might want to try supported rows.

And since you've mentioned it, you might just want to post that recipe in the recipe section because I'd be interested in it too.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

ectx: Thanks ectx. I usually do use the supported T-bar but you know how it is when you see a piece of hardcore equipment just lying there unused. It keeps calling you "use me, use me - you'll get bigger..."

HomeYield: Thanks HomeYield. Well, I'd say it was dedication, focus etc but it is likely just stupidity since it means that I don't get much sleep, which I'm sure is not helping me grow. The EC helps. I am determined to get a least 3 workouts in a week. That means working out at 11:00pm then so beit. As for the t-bar, I will give you that my legs and lower back were tired but even with the light weight I had difficulty just getting the position correct. I will try it again someday.

I will do what I can on the recipe.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 02-27-2003 at 10:33 AM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    It [steroids] keeps calling you "use me, use me - you'll get bigger..."

lol...crazy ****....
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Galileo: Must.... must.... must... re....sist.... ul..ti...mate... temp..a...tion.... to.. cross... over... to... the.... darkside

Orange357:

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Thrusday Feburary 27, 2003

Diet:
    • M1: 08:30am Protein shake, Vector cereal w milk
      ----- workout -----
      M3: 02:00pm Biotest Surge shake
      M4: 04:30pm Detour Bar
      M5: 07:00pm Salmon, Yogurt, pizza (cheese)
      M6: 10:00pm Popcorn, cottage cheese
    Weight: 162

Training: Push / Pull / Legs or something like that. -> Leg Day 1:00pm - 2:00pm
    • It wasn't a leg day for most people so I was able to whip through the routine.

Seated Leg Extensions: 90x8, 8

Just warming up with these.

Squats: 135x10, 165x7,6,6

Took the suggestion from last week and just stayed at 165. I could tell form was starting to break down on the last set on the last few reps.

45 Degree Leg Press: 5ppsx5, 5ppsx4, 4ppsx4 D 3ppsx5 D 2ppsx6 D 1ppsx7

Since I didn't go for as long on the squats, I started out with an extra plate per side this week. I needed a little bit of assistance to get the 5 reps - yes <hangs head in shame> I used my hands to push on my legs to get out of the hole. Incredible pump on the quads for a change.

Stiff Legged Dead Lifts: 245x2, 225x5,4, 185x6

This didn't feel right and I notice a slight bit of dizziness after the two reps. I suspect that it was the lack of FOOD going into this workout. Anyway, dropped it down to 225 and no problem. Legs were definitely quivering.

Decline Ab Crunches: 45x7,6

No problems, I decided I better not skip these this time. Calves will need to wait until next week.

Comments:

I did not eat enough this morning to do this workout. Since I expected to workout at 11:00am things should have been fine with breakfast. However, I got stuck on a audio call and couldn't make it to the gym until 1:00pm.

Saw two people doing curls in the squat rack today. Dam good thing I didn't have to wait for them to be done!

It was a good day to think as well. One thought is my squat may be suffering from lack of core strength. My lower back is likely getting stronger, however, my front and side abs still suck. I also tend to skip them more then any other bodypart, so I think I need to put more into working those. Might it help on the squats?

Second, I may get some dumbells, weights and a bench for home. No, I don't have plans for home gym. I'm thinking that I may move shoulders to their own day and it would allow me to work them at home instead of going into the gym. Not much equipment needed and since shoulders don't need much work I could make it pretty short. This will allow me to leave day 1 as just a chest and tricep day.

I guess that's it.

I started out with an extra plate per side this week. I needed a little bit of assistance to get the 5 reps - yes <hangs head in shame> I used my hands to push on my legs to get out of the hole.
    This isn't really a bad thing sometimes. Just as long as you don't make a habit of it and get into the poundage envy mess then its quite alright. And since I know you use good form and care about all that then if you do cheat every so often its a good thing. Kind of like assisted reps and stuff. Use it to your advantage every so often. And no need to hang your head, it means you were pushing yourself and that's a very good thing!

Not much equipment needed and since shoulders don't need much work I could make it pretty short. This will allow me to leave day 1 as just a chest and tricep day.
    I think this is a very good idea. Not because I'm bias or nothing But this way you can spend energy on shoulders and they don't get neglected like they have a tendency to do when they are in there with chest.

Even though I think a big chest looks appealing, I think the broad shoulders is even more impressive. You can always puff out your chest to make it look bigger but you can't fake that broad shoulder look.
    What is elite?

Eat more by! It's amazing how much difference food can make. When I fist started lifting I never though diet was that important, well, maybe if you were trying to lose weight but that was it. Man, was I wrong! I can always tell if I haven't eaten enough or had enough water.

If you're looking for a home gym, I can give you a tour of Mik's dungeon for only 19.95. Ha!

HomeYield: Actually it wasn't too bad, I've done it occasionally for negative work and I looked at as an assisted rep. It really was just in the hole to overcome the sticking point and to make sure that I didn't get stuck. There was a comment specifically in a journal about ****ers using their hands to push their knees for leg presses and as you indicated getting nothing out of it except maybe more tricep work. It is after all, leg day not push day. Thanks for your words, I'm glad you think that. As for the shoulder item, yes you are right. I'm not too worried about neglecting them since they do get a good workout on push and pull day, but I don't want to short change the chest and tri day. This will also start giving me 4 days of working out per week instead of three which may allow me to progress a bit better on a bulk. I may even start adding in some additional exercises on the same day with the shoulders, like abs.

Mik: Yeah, I know. I really screwed up the timing before that workout. Not only that, I'm so tired today that I'm ready to crash now. Water is another thing that I don't get enough of. As for the home gym, it seems to me that MuscleMag will let me view theirs for free! If you want 19.95, you better come up with something else.

Just for the record, I finally got some sleep last night. 9.5 wonderful hours. Yeah, think it will make a difference when I workout this morning?

Saturday March 1, 2003

Diet:
    • M1: Cytogainer shake
      ------ workout ------
      M2: Biotest surge
      M3: Turkey on whole wheat
      M4: Detour Bar
      M5: Salmon, rice, cauliflower, wine,
      M6: Cottage cheese.

Training: Push / Pull / Legs or something like that. -> Push Day 8:10am - 9:10am
    • Incline Dumbell Bench Press: 40x8, 50x8, 65x5, 60x5, 55x6

The 65's felt good.

HS ISO Bench Press: 185x5, 180x3, 160x6,5

Added two 2.5 plates to inch my way up a bit. I don't think my hamstrings are suppose to get a workout doing this exercise.

Dips: BWx7,6,5

Double pfft.

V-grip Tricep Cable Pushdown: 100x15, 120x6, 6

Time for a change on the cable pushdowns.

Decline Dumbell Lying Tricep Extensions: 15x10/8, 20x5/3, 15x5/6

Form is improving on these. I've decided to place my free hand on upper tricep of working arm to help stablize the arm and to feel the muscle work through the lift. Seems to be working.

Laterial Raises: 20x7,8,6

Finished the shoulders and out of time. See another reason for either going to gym one more day or stocking up equipment at home.
    Comments:

I didn't get my BF done last week. Went looking for the lady Thrusday and Friday but couldn't get connected for the caliper test.

A co-op student that we hired once is back working in the area. We will be going out for lunch next week, however, in the mean time he was asking me all sorts of questions about creatine. I amazed myself at how much I'd been able to remember from this site. Some other dude suggested that he try creatine and that it would put on some great size. Worth a try, I mentioned that I don't think it has really helped me out much but he may get something out of it. He really needs to focus on his nutrition instead. He also asked about my post workout protein... It will be good to use some of the info I've acquired here to help others.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 03-01-2003 at 11:20 PM.

Oh for all those looking for the sweet potato recipe. Franji returned my PM and descibed Pup's recipe in the recipes forum. Here's the link:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=24100

*eats shankerr's virus and morphs larger.* :evillaugh

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    hahaha, i saw that you posted that in my journal, so I was like "hmm, wonder whats goin on over there" hehe, and there we have it!

Nice workout yesterday as well! I love meal 5
    Last edited by Shankerr; 03-02-2003 at 10:52 AM.
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Thanks for the recipe Rookie! I'll be trying that this weekend. I think a 4 day split will help. I found trying to do it all in 3 days wasn't enough, 4 allowed me more focus on shoulders which I need. Are you still thinking of getting some equipment for home?

Nice to hear you're spreading the wealth of info from this site professor Rook.

Ditto on the prof. The kid's getting a good deal on that internship...learning about work and nutrition. Never tried db press on a decline. How do you like it rookie?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

He really needs to focus on his nutrition instead. He also asked about my post workout protein... It will be good to use some of the info I've acquired here to help others.
    Its really good to help others out with it. Makes your realize just how much you really know and have learned. It also helps you to better understand when you try to tell others about it. Plus if something comes up that you don't know about it gives you even more reason to look it up and find out. Pass on the knowledge. We'll have a legion of meatheads ready to conquer the world before we know it.
    What is elite?

Shankerr: Managed to drag you over to this journal, eh?

Mik: I'd like to do a better 4 day split as well, hell, 5 days would be great too. I am still thinking of getting the equipment but I want to guard against getting a full blown gym at home since I really like the variety of equipment that a gym offers. I also like the motivation of seeing other meatheads lifting heavier weights, makes me want to strive more. However, I recognize, that I still need to come home and see the family occasionally as well. As for Prof. rook, I will spread the wealth of knowledge to anyone who listens. It's interesting, there is this guy I know at work (fellow bb) who I use to talk to alot about lifting, nutrition etc. I would say my nutrition / supplementation knowledge is now at par or better then his. Yes, I think I'm learning here. Now the real job is to parlay that into lean body mass.

ectx: Thanks ec, we will see how he does. I might even get around to telling him our little secret, that there is a wealth of information at his finger tips on this site. As for the decline DB's. I have done decline DB presses and I do like them. However, in this case, these are decline db tricep extensions. So basically a lying tricep extension using dumbells except you are on a decline bench. You also start with twist your palm to down position at the mid point. B&I has been helping me out with this one trying to get some exercises that focus on my triceps more. I think I have the motion down, so I can work on getting more out of it.

HomeYield: I totally agree with your comments. It is certainly one of the ways that I judge how well I know something. The pieces that I thought I knew also come out and allow me to find better answers. Unfortunately, there is really is a lot of conflicting information out there - even on this site. But it is understanding their reasoning for their answer that will help make a decision as to what you might want to try.

Meatheads unite!!!!

March 2003 - Body Analysis

I finally have the long awaited body fat analysis done. As I expected, focus has been poor and even though I thought I might be losing some fat, it is not to be. I will of course rationalize this by saying that with the margin for error for caliper testing, the differences really are insignificant. So, three months later, I have done nothing. I've not gained nor lost any muscle or fat. <sigh>

Some of the numbers have been estimated, since they really were out of wack with all the previous numbers and didn't make much sense. The tester wasn't sure what happened with the measurements. So maybe at best I've stayed the same, at worst, I've gained .5% BF. Now for the numbers.

[code]
    Site Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Dec Mar

Chest 9.8 9.4 8.7 7.4 7.5 7.1 6.8 11.4 6.8 7.1
    Abdomen 23.0 22.3 21.0 23.2 21.4 19.8 20.0 19.0 14.2 16.0
    Thigh 12.6 11.4 12.6 10.4 9.8 9.2 9.2 9.2 9.8 9.2
    Triceps 11,0 11.0 8.7 10.0 8.6 8.4 8.4 9.4 8.7 8.7
    Biceps 4.4 4.4 5.2 4.5 4.6 4.3 4.3 3.8 4.0 3.9
    Subscapular 20.4 19.1 18.7 17.2 17.2 18.0 17.5 18.4 16.4 16.2
    Suprailliac 20.3 19.0 17.4 17.4 17.4 15.0 13.4 11.4 12.0 13.4
    Axilla 22.5 22.0 20.4 17.8 19.2 18.6 18.4 18.8 17.0 16.0

7 Site Method 19.1% 18.4% 17.5% 16.9% 16.7% 16.0% 15.6% 16.3% 14.3% 14.6%

Weight 174.0 172.0 168.0 165.0 165.0 163.0 162.0 175.0 162.0 162.0
    Lean Muscle 140.7 140.0 138.7 137.1 137.5 137.0 136.7 146.5 138.9 138.4
    Fat 33.3 31.6 29.3 27.9 27.5 26.0 25.3 28.5 23.2 23.6[/code]
    Measurements were taken and some are down, waist is the same. That's it, no further commentary on my part.

I've decided to not workout tonight and instead get some sleep. I'm just too ???? something and it needs to be sorted out. I know there is a rant here, but I will get to it some other day when I can actually sort things out.

Good night.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by rookiebldr
    I've decided to not workout tonight and instead get some sleep. I'm just too ???? something and it needs to be sorted out. I know there is a rant here, but I will get to it some other day when I can actually sort things out.

Good night.
    Sometimes you need the rest and mental break more than you need the workout. You've been going hard for a long time and it takes a toll psychologically as well as physically. As far as the stats go, the entire progression looks great---slow and steady decrease in bf% while holding about steady with the LBM. It sounds like you're disappointed with the latest set of numbers, but remember the error involved...that one last number may not be spot on and is just one data point in an entire set. The overall trend looks good...it's the big picture that counts. See what the next few readings say...

Also, you may be suffering from a bit of cabin fever...it's that lovely time of year when the weather has been crappy for a long time, you've been inside for months, the holidays are over and there's nothing to look forward to until spring which seems a long way away, and generally you hate everything and everybody and are ready to throw your life out and start over...okay, well maybe not quite that drastic, but you know what I mean. It will pass, just hang in there and give yourself permission to sulk a little bit when you need it
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 03-07-2003 at 10:52 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Rookie, I agree completely with Icer. Take a day or two off, we all need that now and again. Regardless of what those stats say I know you've been making progress from reading your journal. You've been working hard and it IS paying off. Take a rest and come back better and stronger. Keep up the great work.

I know all about teh cabin fever. I'm so ****ing sick of winter and we're getting 15 more cm of snow and freezing rain today. Bleh!

Another CD suggestion: Pulse Ultra

Where the **** has your child-buggering ass been? You best get back on here and SOON.