The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 49 of 251 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 6252
    Well, I didn't make it back from Kingston until 10:00pm tonight. So no workout today either. But with nothing on tomorrow, I'll be there at 8:00 for leg day. This will now push my back day out to Sunday, but all will be good in the world as I eventually get my schedule back to normal.

Meals weren't too bad today, but I'm sure the beer I had at Montana's didn't help much. Plus since I only managed to get in 4 meals today, they tended to be bigger then they should have been.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

bone crusher
    hey jeff as far as the warmup goes, if you want to do a set at close to your working weight that is ok, just make sure it only 1-2 reps and WELL short of failure

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Diet's Consistency Check: --|-/---|----///-------/-//-/-
    I am curious. What does the "--|-/---|----///-------/-//-/-" symbol represent in the above quote?
    Last edited by aka23; 04-18-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Friday April 18, 2003

Doc: I'll lkeep that in mind. I finding it easier on the big exercises (deads, squats, bench) to plan out my lifts before I get into the gym and then I force myself to stick to it. Lifting 1 or 2 reps and not achieving failure seems alien to me, but I think I've learned my lesson. I will keep your comment in mind as I plan my next deadlift session. The last time, I was too far away from my max.

aka23: Welcome to my Journal. I really haven't gotten around it making it more informative, but it is an indication of how strict I have been with my food choices and calories. The dash ('-') is good, I feel that there has been no junk food that day. The slash ('/') indicates that I've been somewhat lax, moderate junk food or too high calories etc. The vertical bar ('|') indicates a full stop, all out junk food heaven. Each character represents a day in the past. So instead of looking back in my journal to see how I've been doing, I can just see it right there. By the looks of things, last week was not very good.

Diet:
    • Diet's Consistency Check: --|-/---|----///-------/-//-/-/-/

M1: Protein & carb shake
      ----------- workout ------------
      M2: Biotest surge
      M3: Oatmeal, protein shake
      M4: Sauted shrimp & scallops, rice, peas, ice cream
      M5: Popcorn, protein drink
    Training:Pull, Push & Leg split --> Leg Day 8:30-9:45
    • Squats: 115x5, 155x3, 195x7, 6, 5, 135x8

Taking benching and deads warmup instructions to the squat, I performed two sets prior to my workset. 7 reps at 195 felt very solid, very little roll over to the front on the last rep and as soon as I felt it going that way, I paused momentarily, forced the curve back and continued. Time to increase to 205 next week.

45 degree Leg Press: 5ppsx6, 6, 6 -> 5 -> 4 -> 4 -> 6

I got an extra rep out of each set and the drops were better as well.

Leg Extensions: 150x1->145x1-135x6, 135x6

I thought I had enough in me to do 150, nope. Dropped it to 140, still too tough. Dropped it again to 135 and did 6. Still, that was 5 lbs more then last week.

Stiff Leg Dead Lifts: 135x5, 245x4, 225x4, 5

I was really having a hard time holding on to the bar for the four reps at 245, but form as good. These are up but the reps are down.

Seated Leg Curl: 140x4, 135x6, 4 -> 130x1

I thought these would be easier, however maybe the 4 hours of sleep last night was finally catching up to me.

Seated Calf Raises: 140x7, 6, 6

I went right to 1 plate and a quarter per side for this one.

45 degree calf raises: 3pps+25 x 15, 15

I was done.
    Comments:

I was good for till 2:30. I crashed until 5:30. Oh I love afternoon naps.

My wife's inlaws have arrived to take over the place. The good news is that they brought tarts and pies. The bad news is that I won't be very strict over the weekend.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-18-2003 at 10:48 PM.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    45 degree calf raises? Are those done on the leg press machine? How do they work out for yuz?

BTW, that workout on 4 hours of sleep was pretty damn good. Dont worry about the slight loss in strength for now, get 8 hours and it will come right back.

As for your pullups...I gianed 40lbs in the last bulk and I'm still over 195 and my BW exercises never caught up. I still cant dip for **** and I cant do pullups for JACK ****.

And everyone hates you. Got anything else to bitch about?

Originally posted by Budiak
    45 degree calf raises? Are those done on the leg press machine? How do they work out for yuz?
    nope, on Cybex machine where you place your butt in this sled and push up on your toes. You can attach weight to the sled, 4-5 pps max. The toughest part is keeping your butt on the sled so that the force you are applying pushes the sled up. There are also hand grips to hold onto to help keep you attached.

BTW, that workout on 4 hours of sleep was pretty damn good. Dont worry about the slight loss in strength for now, get 8 hours and it will come right back.
    ECA is a wonderful thing - lol. Yup, I'm not worried in the least.

As for your pullups...I gianed 40lbs in the last bulk and I'm still over 195 and my BW exercises never caught up. I still cant dip for **** and I cant do pullups for JACK ****.
    Well, I guess I can kiss those BW pullups and dips good bye. I plan on getting to 180-190 with this upcoming bulk. But we'll see.

Originally posted by galileo
    And everyone hates you. Got anything else to bitch about?
    Hate, what a beautiful thing.

Ok guys, I got an impression for yout.

I'd like to voice my concern over all the hate thats going on here. Hate is such a strong word. I come here as a refuge from the real world which I cant handle because I'm an oversensitive liberal!

How was that?

bone crusher
    actually molly and i were talking about this up in ontario. The first few reps are a type of dynamic stretching. So you want to do them slow and VERY controlled. Not superslow, since that is to much like a static stretch.

lol @ jounal posts.

Happy Easter Jeff.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Orange! WHere the hell have you been, duder?

GET BACK HERE!

Nice leg session Rook. Squats and SLDLs are lookin' great.
    Have a great Easter.

P.S. Mmmmmmmmm Montana's beer. :alcoholic

Ok guys, I got an impression for yout.

I'd like to voice my concern over all the hate thats going on here. Hate is such a strong word. I come here as a refuge from the real world which I cant handle because I'm an oversensitive liberal!

How was that?

Budiak, even a liberal such as you can always find refuge here from real world. None of this is real in here, I am but a figment of Galileo's imagination.

Originally posted by the doc
    actually molly and i were talking about this up in ontario. The first few reps are a type of dynamic stretching. So you want to do them slow and VERY controlled. Not superslow, since that is to much like a static stretch.
    I should have been paying attention more when you two were talking about it.

Originally posted by Orange357
    lol @ jounal posts.

Happy Easter Jeff.
    Nice to see you're back Mitch. I take it you're eating large again. Well on your way to being absolutely massive. Right? Hope your bulk goes well and Happy Easter to you too.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-19-2003 at 09:29 PM.

Originally posted by Mik
    Nice leg session Rook. Squats and SLDLs are lookin' great.
    Have a great Easter.

P.S. Mmmmmmmmm Montana's beer. :alcoholic
    Thanks Mik. My squat was better then last we met and the sldl's most definitely was. You have a great Easter as well. I can't wait for the chocolate. :evillaugh

Have you noticed that all the serving wenches at that Montana's look the same? Twas the same one you and I visited. :drool: Oh, and the beer was good too.

Saturday April 19, 2003

Every thing was all screwed up today since I worked out early yesterday morning and didn't workout today. I kept thinking today was Sunday! Oh well.

Diet:
    • Diet's Consistency Check: --|-/---|----///-------/-//-/-/-//

M1: Protein shake, oatmeal
      M2: Tuna, rice
      M3: Detour bar
      M4: Protein shake
      M4: Grilled Chicken breast, pasta, cheese sauce, Mom's homemade butter tarts
      M5: Cottage cheese
    Comments:

Well, my daughter knows a good gravy train when she sees it. She's nine and still believes in the Easter Bunny. She even left a note for the Bunny to write back. Afterall, Santa does, the Tooth fairy does, why not the Easter Bunny. So, it's time now to hide the eggs and write a note.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be up early for my back day. My legs are still a bit sore. Not sure how that will affect my deads tomorrow.

yo- happy easter

ybw

I see you're just making the rounds. Here I thought you had some great wisdom to impart to me so that I could grow bigger. However, I'll take the Happy Easter with a smile, eat lots of protein today and rest a bit.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-20-2003 at 10:32 AM.

bone crusher
    Originally posted by rookiebldr

I should have been paying attention more when you two were talking about it.
    LOL man i think that was the night before in between our birth control discussion

bone crusher
    oh yeah a bit of wisdom. when your deads and squats start to interfere with each other try this, move deads to leg day, and alternate weeks between squats and deads. Follow the deads with leg press for a good leg/lower back workout

Sunday April 20, 2003

Diet:
    • Diet's Consistency Check: --|-/---|----///-------/-//-/-/-//|

M1: Protein & carb shake
      ----------- workout ------------
      M2: Biotest surge
      M3: French toast, bacon, protein drink
      M4: Protein bar
      M5: Protein bar, wine
      M6: Roast beef, taters, sprouts, PUMPKIN PIE
    Training:Pull, Push & Leg split --> Back day 8:25-9:40
    • Dead Lifts: 135x6, 225x4, 275x2, 325xmiss, 305x1, 275x2, 225x9

So this is earlier in the rotation then usual, coming 1 rest day after legs. Also, I've been doing deads in the early afternoon not first thing in the morning. execuses yes, but the 325 just wasn't going to happen. Not even close. Legs worked just fine, but my back couldn't pull the bar up at all. Went for the 305 instead and worked more on getting the back thrashed with the 225.

Chins: BWx5, 4, BW-20x7

Well these didn't go down.

Leg Extensions: 150x1->145x1-135x6, 135x6

I thought I had enough in me to do 150, nope. Dropped it to 140, still too tough. Dropped it again to 135 and did 6. Still, that was 5 lbs more then last week.

Supported T-Bar Row: 110x5, 5, 90x9

Really pushing these.

Seated Cable Row: 130x7, 7, 7

Anymore weight and I'd have to cheat to get even one rep.

Shrugs: 70x15, 75x10, 80x2 -> 70x5 -> 55x10 -> 40x10

I forgot my straps at home today. The 80's were no good since I couldn't hang on to the bars. Dropped set instead. Still, not enough work on the shrugs.

Seated Alternating Curls: 35x8, 7, 7

I was ready to go before this was complete, however, I wanted. to get at least one exercise in for my arms.
    Comments:

I'm done. Easter plus the week leading up to easter has made me fat. Well I suspect it's all the wine. So, that's it for a while.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 04-20-2003 at 10:03 PM.

Originally posted by the doc
    oh yeah a bit of wisdom. when your deads and squats start to interfere with each other try this, move deads to leg day, and alternate weeks between squats and deads. Follow the deads with leg press for a good leg/lower back workout
    I actually noticed that today. My legs and glutes felt the deads right off. Either due to just working them 2 days ago or the fact that I'm using them more for a better explosion off the ground. Likely a combination of both.

I could do as you indicated, however, I really like having squats and deads in the routine, at least until I see them a lot closer to my goals. However, that being said. My session today was long and contained very little in the way of arm work. I would like to add in one more back routine (hypers) but I'll likely have to swap something out and moving deads to leg day might accomplish that. We'll see in a couple of weeks after doing this for a while.

I have no wisdom to impart. I'm really just procrastinating on writing a paper, and I thought I'd drop by and hang out for a while. That OK? You weren't busy or anything, right?

*hums an aimless little tune*

*inspects fingernails closely*

Hey, you got anything to eat around here, Rookie?

*opens refrigerator door, inspects contents*

*finds no beer*

*decides to go to somebody else's journal, a journal with beer*

OK, yeah, well, it's been fun, but I should go. I really should get back to work now. We'll do it again real soon, though!

(This impression of my loser friends at my house was brought to you courtesy of 4 am sleep deprivation- induced hallucinations, in cooperation with an uneasy conscience. Procrastination sucks.)

Boy, this paper ought to be good, huh?
    You can't babysit this.