The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 251 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Thanks. I'm feeling better every day and f*ck the elbows. Did some cardio today to prime the pump.

Thursday, May 30, 2002

Week 2 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 6 hours
    Soreness: nada

Cardio:
    • 20 mins rowing - 4230 km
      10 mins swimming laps

Diet:
    • not bad, missed mid-morning snack, so calories are a bit low.

weight: ~164.5

Training: Rest Day
    Overall Comments

good day overall.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 05-31-2002 at 10:22 AM.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Diet:
    • not bad, missed mid morning snake, so calories are a bit low.

Damn bro it took me a few minutes to figure out what the f*ck you were saying, just realized it was a typo! Hehe.

I am all out of it thinking in my head, "Mid-morning snake? Maybe he works at a zoo. Or a pet store." Hehe stupid me.

MS

Originally posted by MonStar

Damn bro it took me a few minutes to figure out what the f*ck you were saying, just realized it was a typo! Hehe.

I am all out of it thinking in my head, "Mid-morning snake? Maybe he works at a zoo. Or a pet store." Hehe stupid me.

MS
    What are you talking about a typo. Didn't you know that snakes are good for you. Lots of protein and a little bit of fat On reflection, I mistyped swimming as well.

Glad to see your still reading even when there's not much going on. Have figured out my maxes and now working on what routine I should go with.

Friday, May 31, 2002

Week 2 of rest For Stats or Goals just click on the links.

Soreness: nada

Cardio:
    • none

Diet:
    • not bad, got all my meals in, cheated with some microwaved popcorn in the evening and a few popsicles *oh how I love these*

weight: ~164.0

Training: Rest Day
    Overall Comments

Just too busy trying to plan for my parents upcoming wedding anniversary. Too much running around to various stores and trying to make peace with my bros.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-01-2002 at 07:42 AM.

time to get some proper sleep bro?
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Sleep seems fine to me

Sebi-
    Your right, my sleep is a bit off. I'd like to try to up it so that I would average 7 hours and set a mininum of 6 every night. It seems that I'm up late for various reasons and then work interferes. They seem to like it better when I make an appearance sometime during the morning.

I did manage to get 7 hours Friday and 10.5 hours last night. Yea

Heathj-
    Thanks for the support. There seems to be lots of times that I'm getting only 4 to 5 hours and if I remember correctly, your body does need longer to grow and repair. I think the ephedrine/caffeine is helping me function better during the day so that I can live off of less sleep.

I get between 5-7 on weekdays...and anywhere from 3-10 on weekends.

Heathj,
    I noticed your weekend was a bit low, just figured it was the company and partying. I think I've always been on the low side, maybe that's why my lifts are so poor. Mind you, it doesn't seem to have held you back - 375 x 5 for squats .

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Saturday, June 1, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 7 hours

Soreness:

Cardio:
    • nada.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake 686cal (60p, 4f, 101c)
      M3: Protein Bar
      M4: Protein Bar
      M5: Steak, sweet potato, broccoli, icecream and Strawberries
      M6:Cottage Cheese, Protein Shake w/ Milk and Flax

Too lazy to detail out cals.

weight: ~167.0 Feeling a bit bloated (alright fat) today

Training: Chest and Back - 60 mins
    • What a surprise. This was suspose to be the start of HST for me. After calc my RM's and trying to work out my exercises and cycles, I finally gave up and decided to go back and work this routine for a little bit longer. Frankly, I just wasn't comfortable yet with this HST stuff, I haven't read enough about the weights to use and the increments for each workout. Wasn't fun trying to make sure the weights stayed in positive range when I am using such piddly weights. On top of that, I thought I'd have a chance to do more work on it last night (I procrastinate something terrible) and didn't. I tried this morning doing a little bit more on it and found that I just wasn't ready. Just easier to use my current routine. I was desperate to go back into the gym.

So with that in mind, this is WBB #2's routine. I have been off for about two weeks so I was sure that my lifts might be a bit lack luster. Yep, I wasn't disappointed.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 60 x 7, 55 x 5

Felt good just a little weak, trouble getting to my previous PB. However, this was real slow with nice ROM and good form. Very hard.

Close Grip Chins: -30 x 9, 10

Well, this was really tough. Still not enough energy. Maybe I didn't take my ephedrine earlier enough.

Dumbbell flies: 30 x 10, 9

Well, by now my body was telling me to drop the weight since I'm not going to make it into the 9-11 rep. range if I continue to use the weights I had at my last session. Form was much better with the lower weight, even if the ego wasn't.

Deadlifts: 205 x 8, 6

That's better. I was determined not to go back below 200. So this is the same as last time out.

Decline Dumbbell Presses: 55 x 8, 50 x 5

What can I say, 55 last time but for 10 reps. This time only 8. Oh well, form was good and moderately slow reps.

Padded T-Bar Rows (reverse grip): 70 x 8, 65 x 7

Down a bit from 2 weeks ago. Seems to be the story of the day.

Barbell Shrugs: 225 x 8, 10

Same as last time, really pushed myself to get this with a solid shrug at the top. I think I maybe holding the bar a bit too long after the drop and before the next raise. Seems more like 2 seconds up, 1 hold and squeeze and then 1 sec drop with a 1 sec hold at the bottom before raising the bar up again.

Overall Comments

Overall a good workout after being off. Felt really good to back in the gym, neither my back or my elbows gave me any trouble while lifting. I got a later start in the morning, but the weight area was pretty empty this morning. If this keeps up Sat. mornings are going to be great.

Monday, June 3, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 5 hours

Soreness: chest and traps.

Cardio: Tuesday?

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk & flax, Oatmeal M2: Protein Bar
      M3: Roast beef on rye, salad with oil & vinager
      M4: apple, wine
      M5: tuna, pasta, cheese sauce
      M6:Protein Shake

weight: ~166.0

Training: Legs - 40 mins
    • Well I pulled the same thing that I did last time that I did this routine. Was tired, drank a protein shake just before working out and took my ephedrine. After the squats, leg press and extensions I felt nauseated and chucked cookies. Yuck! I didn't continue, just went home.

Smith Back Squats: 115 x 20

Warmed up first with lighter weight (3 sets). I had to pause at rep 16, 18 and 20 to squeeze out the 20 reps. More exhausted then anything.

Leg Press: 250 x 20

I like getting back to doing these. Really hits my quads and glutes. This was tough but I think I can put more weight on. Did need to pause a bit on the last 2 reps.

Leg Extensions: 90 x 15

Weaker here, not a good sign. I'm toast.

Overall Comments

I'll do hams and calves today.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-04-2002 at 08:50 PM.

Monday, June 3, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

Soreness: legs.

Cardio:
    • 15 mins - rowing - 3140km

Diet:
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat, milk, Yogurt
      M4: cottage cheese, apple
      M5: pasta, cheese sauce
      M6: cheat sh*t

weight: ~165.0

Training: Legs - 30 mins
    • Just needed to finish up from last night.

Naut. Hamstring Curls: 100 x 8, 100 x 4 D 80 x 8

This was harder than I expected at this weight. Started to feel this in my lower back on the second set, so I stopped and lower the weight to get better form.

DB SLDL: 80 x 20

Maxed out this gym for db's and their pre-made BB only go to 75lbs.

Single Leg Calf Raises: 40 x 30

They need bigger weights.

Overall Comments

Will go to bed early for a change. At least my hams go a bit of a workout.

rookiebldr-
    Why just hamstrings and calves today?

MS

rookiebldr-
    Why just hamstrings and calves today?

MS
    Thanks for checking in on me. Several of reasons, didn't finish my leg workout yesterday, limited time, trying to do fit some cardio in after the workout (rowing) and did the workout at my company gym so the equipment is a bit lacking. I should've added some ab work but ran out of time.

JT

Thanks for checking in on me. Several of reasons, didn't finish my leg workout yesterday, limited time, trying to do fit some cardio in after the workout (rowing) and did the workout at my company gym so the equipment is a bit lacking. I should've added some ab work but ran out of time.

JT
    Oh okay man yeah I was wondering what the heck was going on. Hehe I was completely confused. So whatsup man are you starting HST or what?

MS

No HST at the moment. I need to spend more time researching this routine, the weight increments etc. I procrastinated too long in getting a better understanding of what I needed to do so just when I was going to switch, I decided not to.

Although there seems to a fair number of people doing this HST routine while they are cutting, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better while I was bulking.

My current routine is simple and easy. Did arms and shoulders today and I love arm and shoulder day.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Did arms and shoulders today and I love arm and shoulder day.

I noticed a lot of successful people do arms & shoulders on the same day like yourself. However, I still can't convince myself to do it. It seems like I'm squeezing too much into one workout...even though they are all small muscles. I always hit all 3 shoulder heads, and I usually hit all 3 tricep heads---there's 6 exercises right there. And that's not even counting biceps, which are my weakest aspect so I can't go easy on them.....and I also do traps with shoulders. What is your arm/shoulder day like? How do you include everything? Because I need a new routine and I am looking for ideas.

Although there seems to a fair number of people doing this HST routine while they are cutting, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better while I was bulking.
    From everything that I have read about HST it seems like bulking up with HST would be a good idea because your fat-gain would probably be minimal. Seems like HST really spikes your metabolism which is always a good thing.

Most things that I have read say that "I was eating like crazy and my definition improved." I am sure that this is due to the squats and all that 3x per week.

MS

Wednesday, June 5, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

Sleep: 5 hours

Soreness: quads / hams a little sore.

Cardio: none

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w / flax, Oatmeal w/raisins - 620 cals (61p, 20f, 46c)
      M2: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M3: Tuna /w mayo on Whole Wheat, milk - 432 cals (35p, 16f, 36c)
      M4: Protein Bar - 293 cals (21p, 5f, 41c)
      M5: Grilled Chicken, Baked Sweet Potato - 461 cals (56p, 6f, 42c)
      M6:Gatorade, Post Workout Shake - 560 cals (47p, 3f, 85c)

Total: 2659 cals (241 protein 36%, 56 fat 18% , 292 carbs 43%)

Training: Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps - 60 mins
    • Note on weight: Weight listed for dumbell exercises are per dumbell. HS ISO exercises are per side but does not include resistence / weight of the machine. Barbell and Smith machine exercises include weight of bar.

Hammer Strength ISO Shoulder Press: 60 x 11, 9.5, 7.5

The bench area seem to be a bit busy tonight, so instead of doing the superset with OH Presses, Lateral and Front Raises, I decided to concentrate on the shoulder press first and I can do the standing exercises anywhere. Warmed up with two previous sets and felt good about these sets. Again, I've been off two weeks so I expected to be a little weaker here. A little high in the rep scheme so I'll add weight next week.

Dumbell Laterial Raises: 20 x 8, 8, 7
      Dumbell Front Raises: 20 x 8, 8, 6

These two exercises were supersetted together using the weights indicated above. Good sets, nice range maybe a need to squeeze a bit more on the last few reps since I likely didn't get the full top end squeeze. Also, the last rep had a bit too much swing from the body to get the final raise.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 10 (!), 8

I warmed up my tri with one easy set with 50 lb bar. The first work set was easy, found the second to be tougher to get the 8 reps. Still more than satisfied. I noticed that we have a new curly bar in the gym that I can add weights on. I should be able to increase the weight now in 5lb increments instead of using the preset bars. Maybe I'll try for 75lbs next week.

Alternating Incline Dumbell Curls: 25 x 10, 5

Same as last time. Although I think my form was much better and they really felt like 10 good solid reps.

Tricep Dips: BW x 9, 7

Well, I might have to invest in a belt for the weighted dips - yea.

Alternating Seated Hammer Curls: 25 x 10, 6

Solid curls, good form. Just could not get the arm to move up after doing 6 reps.

Reverse Barbell Curls: 50 x 7, 4

Just felt like adding these in to finish off the set.

Overall Comments

Great day. Workout was fun, I was very much energized though it, didn't really want to stop but knew it was time to go home. Diet was a bit high but at least I'm back to only quality foods.

Incline Skulls: 70 x 10 (!), 8

I warmed up my tri with one easy set with 50 lb bar. The first work set was easy, found the second to be tougher to get the 8 reps. Still more than satisfied. I noticed that we have a new curly bar in the gym that I can add weights on. I should be able to increase the weight now in 5lb increments instead of using the preset bars. Maybe I'll try for 75lbs next week.
    Nice strength here man.

Good solid increase, good luck with 75 lbs. next week.

MS

Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
    I noticed a lot of successful people do arms & shoulders on the same day like yourself.
    I certainly hope this brings some success to my arms and shoulders. But I do like the pump of getting my whole upper body going since some of the movements are include chest and back to a minor degree.

However, I still can't convince myself to do it. It seems like I'm squeezing too much into one workout...even though they are all small muscles. I always hit all 3 shoulder heads, and I usually hit all 3 tricep heads---there's 6 exercises right there. And that's not even counting biceps, which are my weakest aspect so I can't go easy on them.....
    I'm currently on a low volume routine and I'm not specifically addressing the rear delts.

...and I also do traps with shoulders. What is your arm/shoulder day like? How do you include everything? Because I need a new routine and I am looking for ideas.
    I address my traps on back day. The routine I'm using is the Wannabebig routine #2. Over the last year I was doing some 3 and 4 days per week routines and I've also done a more traditional push/leg/pull with shoulders on leg day. I started this March performing WBB #1, with it's Chest/Back, Legs and Shoulders/Arms split. Three days a week is working out much better for me personally, it is lower volume, thus I can get in and out in a hour or less. It doesn't hit every muscle group in isolation but the compound movements tend to hit all of them pretty good.

Another thing that I liked about these routines are that the splits were new to me and my body. They are so different than what had had been doing that I believe my body responded better because of the change. I also added some new exercises as well, like deads, SLDL and dips which I hadn't done before. This routine really seemed to help out my shoulders, traps and chest since shoulders and chest are given priority. I've notice an improvement in these areas (however cutting helps too). I didn't notice as much growth in my back or my twiggy arms. But I'll focus on those area with a different routine. I'll post in a separate note my current routine, but you can see above what I did yesterday.

Thanks for popping in, suggestions are always welcome but not necessarily taken.

From everything that I have read about HST it seems like bulking up with HST would be a good idea because your fat-gain would probably be minimal. Seems like HST really spikes your metabolism which is always a good thing.

Most things that I have read say that "I was eating like crazy and my definition improved." I am sure that this is due to the squats and all that 3x per week.

MS
    Thats really good to hear. Like I mentioned before, I need to do more research and it helps seeing your comments above. Esp. since I you've been doing alot more reading on this topic than I.

Thursday, June 6, 2002

Week 2 of WBB #II.

Sleep: 4 hours

Soreness: arms a little & I might have done something to my shoulder today.

Cardio:
    • 20 mins - rowing - 4410km

Diet:
      M3: Tuna on whole wheat & mayo, Portugese soup
      M4: cottage cheese, apple
      M5: pasta w / cheese sauce & can of tuna
      M6: Cottage cheese

Training: Rest day

Overall Comments

Good day, diet was fairly good. I was up way too late last night and missed getting up early enough for a work. I'm not sure what I did to my rear left delt (always seems to the left delt) but it is a bit sore at the moment and not in a good way. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

Saturday, June 8, 2002

Week 3 of WBB #II. For Stats or Goals just click on the link.

Sleep: 8 hours

Soreness:

Cardio:
    • nada.

Diet:
    • M1: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Oatmeal 432cal (60p, 5f, 35c)
      M2: Post workout Protein Shake 686cal (60p, 4f, 101c)
      M3: Protein Bar
      M4: cottage cheese, slice of whole wheat bread, apple
      M5: Steak, rice, french beans, Strawberries
      M6:Cottage Cheese, ?

I think that was what I had.

weight: can't remember

Training: Chest and Back - 70 mins
    • Felt tired again this morning and not quite energized to start the workout. Maybe I didn't sleep all that well knowing that WBB was done and I couldn't get my morning fix.

Incline Dumbbell Press: 50 x 9, 8

Well, last week I wasn't quite in the 9 to 11 rep range so thought I would lower the weight and see if I could at least get above 10. Nope - WTF.

Padded T-Bar Rows (reverse grip): 80 x 10,10

The assisted Chinning bar was being used so I went with the ros out of sequence. This time I was fresh so I upped the weight and got 10 reps out of it. Largely due to this being up first instead of after deads. (IMO)

Dumbbell flies: 30 x 10, 9

Same as last week.

Close Grip Chins: -30 x 10, 8

One more rep than last week and already the 4th exercise.

Flat Dumbbell Presses: 60 x 7, 55 x 6

It's a good thing you can't isolate different parts of the chest muscle So since the decline bench was out of commission, I subsituted these for what should have been decline dumbbell presses.

Deadlifts: 195 x 8, 5 :P

WTF. Down 10 lbs from previous week and on the second set I couldn't get the grip right. Started losing the hold after 4 reps and hung in until the 5 rep. Felt funny going into the second set. Back below 200 - I am weak!!

Kneeling Dumbbell Shrugs: 75 x 12, 80 x 10

I haven't done these in a while so I can't remember what I did the last time and I'm too lazy to go look it up. At lease I was able to hang onto the 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps. Yea.

Overall Comments

Diet was pretty good overall. Working on my tan.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-19-2002 at 07:12 PM.