Thread: Question on Pause bench press.

Hybrid View

Question on Pause bench press.

I've seen this recommended for help with bring up your bench, but I never see any one talk about weight or rep schemes. With DE work you can pull up tones of info, but dont find much of anything on pause benching. So my question is anyone who has done it what do you recommend?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

it can be applied really to whatever ME exercise you are using for that day. For instance, if you were doing a close grip bench with doubled purple bands, instead of doing a touch and go, just pause it

Heres a video of one of our very own doing a pause bench press.

Video
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Thanks for the responses. I think though I should have been more specific and thats my fault.

Westside has one day ME one day DE. I see some other routines that will have one heavy bench day than another bench day with pause benches. What I should have wrote is what people use for weight and rep scheme on the second day ( not your max day ).

While were at it, why not compare the two, I realize both have there place, but im sure most will lean towards DE work over pause work.

Also im talking from the perspective of someone who can only bench 200 something raw.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Heres a video of one of our very own doing a pause bench press.

Video
    Yes, a fellow israeli

Shalom

Why not pause your DE bench work? Even though it is all about bar speed, I think it works just as well pausing those sets too. Keep in mind my bench SUCKS!

I think you will have go bring the bar down too slowly to pause it for it to be considered DE. When I worked a pause bench it was with near max weight for singles. Why are you asking this question?

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think you will have go bring the bar down too slowly to pause it for it to be considered DE. When I worked a pause bench it was with near max weight for singles. Why are you asking this question?
    I never suggested pauseing DE work, that would be pointless from my understanding of DE work which is to produce maximum force. I brought up the pause bench question because I see it mentioned here and there but I have never seen a article dedicated about it and its different uses and or applications when it come to benching. Where as with westside you can find a ton of articles breaking down every aspect of it.

I'm just going to echo what Vin said, DE is for speed. If you're pausing, you're not going fast. If you want to pause, just pause on ME work. No reason to do it on both days

Wannabebig Member
    I do almost ALL of my benching with pauses. Once in awhile I'll get a hankering to do some big numbers on a touch and go, but almost every rep of every set that I do is a pause.
    Mind you, I do no equipped lifting, I am a raw woman lifter. I usually compete in the 165's, and last night and the other week I was able to hit
    245 for 7 (and one with a little help) then 285 for 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfulkate View Post
    I do almost ALL of my benching with pauses. Once in awhile I'll get a hankering to do some big numbers on a touch and go, but almost every rep of every set that I do is a pause.
    Mind you, I do no equipped lifting, I am a raw woman lifter. I usually compete in the 165's, and last night and the other week I was able to hit
    245 for 7 (and one with a little help) then 285 for 3...

Most powerlifters do pause their benches even in training with the exception of speed bench. A true pause bench is a very exagerated pause to build the bottom portion of the lift.

you said pausing on the second bench day - not ME day, so that'd be DE day. I guess you meant doing pause benches on the second day and not considering it DE day, just a second bench day? you might be over thinking this a tad bit

Ok let me put it this way. Im not trying to over think this, I think im just not explaining myself right and that is my fault, please bare with me. ANd yes your right I mean doing pause work instead of DE work, not both.

Routine A. Westside.
    Day 1 ) ME bench and bench assistance
    Day 2 ) DE bench and bench assistance

Routine B. What ever you want to call it.
    Day 1) ME or Heavy day and bench assistance
    day 2) Pause bench and bench assistance

I see routines like the B one on the net here and there but they never talk about the load or rep patterns for the pause bench, that is what I am getting at. I know sometimes people will pause the ME work, I am not talking about that. For someone who is benching around 200 there only going to have a DE day with 100 pounds or so, so for someone like that ( aka me ) is that going to be effective in bringing up my bench or is DE something that should be added later when the overall bench max is close to say 300 or so. Or if someone has a bench around 200 would maybe the pause work be more beneficial? Im just looking to see what people would chose to do if they were in my shoes.

I completely respect the westside guys on here giving advice, I know what works for one may not work for another, maybe a better question is what would you recommend for someone in my shoes. Any opinions are welcome. Also I work out at a commercial gym, no bands, chains, boards, and alot of time I work out alone, but I can always bench in the power rack for ME work for safety reasons.

Hope this I explained myself a little better in this post.
    Last edited by View 1; 03-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.

You should look into buying some bands, chains, and boards. I'm not too sure about the chains, but I know that boards and bands on www.elitefts.com are not too expensive, that is unless you are trying to buy a complete set of them (i.e. a 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 board, or mini bands, monster minis, light, average, and strong). Or you could always make some boards for yourself. They provide several different ways to mix things up. I've just started using them in the past two months, and I love it.

This is a great misconception about DE work. People often assume that for DE work to be effective, they need to be able to put 185lbs or whatever on the bar. The truth is, it doesn't matter what the weight on the bar is, you just need to be able to move it fast. When your max is low (under 200) what it does mean is that ME day is a little pointless. Your volume is so low that you don't get enough in for it to be productive. Actually a 5x5 program would be best for awhile, listening to your body, knowing when to do 3x5 or whatever.

End point is scrapping DE day and adding it in later won't get you the results you want. You'll still have to start with the super light weight before you're able to move it fast enough. Just because a person benches 300 or 400 doesn't mean they automatically add 200lbs on the bar with their bands and rep it out super fast. So what I'm saying is don't scrap DE day. Forget working up to singles for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    This is a great misconception about DE work. People often assume that for DE work to be effective, they need to be able to put 185lbs or whatever on the bar. The truth is, it doesn't matter what the weight on the bar is, you just need to be able to move it fast. When your max is low (under 200) what it does mean is that ME day is a little pointless. Your volume is so low that you don't get enough in for it to be productive. Actually a 5x5 program would be best for awhile, listening to your body, knowing when to do 3x5 or whatever.

End point is scrapping DE day and adding it in later won't get you the results you want. You'll still have to start with the super light weight before you're able to move it fast enough. Just because a person benches 300 or 400 doesn't mean they automatically add 200lbs on the bar with their bands and rep it out super fast. So what I'm saying is don't scrap DE day. Forget working up to singles for awhile
    That is what I was looking for thank you. I never planned on doing singles, right now I tend to stay in the 4-6 rep range ( with 4-5 sets depending on how I feel ), and maybe once in awhile going down to sets of 3. I took some time away from the gym, so I will start DE work again. I do plan on buying some bands in the future right now im just going to stick with the basic's and make sure I get my form down 100% perfect.

Again thanks for the help.

you bet

Bands and chains are unnecessary. You have a lot of room to grow. Just figure out which plan you want to use, stick to it, train hard, eat well, rest and you will make good gains. You are overthinking things.

Regarding DE bench, my last training cycle started with 185 and I am a 600 raw bencher. The theory of DE bench is to move the weight fast. You don't have to throw around heavy weight.

I'm by no means a big bencher but paused bench presses really helped my sticking point from the bottom to half way up, never fails.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

pauses on ME days, but not DE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    pauses on ME days, but not DE.
    x2 good idea

i will never understand wrist wraps...

idk, i hate them.
    I guess its because i dont go heavy on bench at alll!!
    but i've tried them once before, and they totally screwed me over big time.
    i mean, i couldnt get 95lbs up... 95?!...??
    I just felt a rush of blood in my hands/arm, and i couldnt push the bar up.

anyone know what im talking about?
    Female, 17
    height- 4'7
    weight- 109.2

[Squat]-270Goal-350
    [Dead Lift]-290Goal-360
    [Bench]-145Goal-200

We're not here to blow sunshine up your ass. We're here to give you honest, fair opinions.