Thread: Government shut down?

Government shut down?

Any one worried? Any one think it'll happen? I was slightly worried..but as long as its not longer than a few weeks...and I get my job back...I'll be ok with a few weeks off.

The economy may not be as happy about it though....

Thoughts??

I don't really know what to expect from it. The last time the federal gov't shut down was '95. I was 11 and didn't care about things like that.

I didn't know your new job was with the feds. Hope you saved up some money. The idiots on both sides of the political fence seem ready to dig in and be stubborn.

DOE...and I've worked at a national lab for quite a while...just change in Divisions/career path if you will.

I am sure half the shit I've been reading isnt accurate. But some of it is so retarded that I could totally see it being true. Like the military...would they really expect our troops to continue to lay their lives on the line for free???

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Military scientist here.

My original plan was to go to Ireland for a week but I will be far more boring and just work on my Ph'D thesis...
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I work for DHS. Yeah, I think it's definitely going to happen. I also highly doubt we'll be getting paid this time around either. That's the part that really pisses me off....it's not like we're choosing not to work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    DOE...and I've worked at a national lab for quite a while...just change in Divisions/career path if you will.

I am sure half the shit I've been reading isnt accurate. But some of it is so retarded that I could totally see it being true. Like the military...would they really expect our troops to continue to lay their lives on the line for free???
    The troops and any other essential employees who are required to work during the shutdown get paid as soon as a budget is approved and the shutdown is over. Congress will vote on whether or not furloughed (non essential) employees will be reimbursed as well. They got back payed in '95, but I don't think it's gonna happen this time around.
    Last edited by RBB; 04-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    The troops and any other essential employees who are required to work during the shutdown get paid as soon as a budget is approved and the shutdown is over. Congress will vote on whether or not furloughed (non essential) employees will be reimbursed as well. They got back payed in '95, but I don't think it's gonna happen this time around.
    Well thats a relief for the troops then. With the price of gas where its at currently and the amount of driving to/from work I do I'll probably break even by not having to come in for a week I think from what I've read, our lab already has funding promised for this fiscal year that will be able to float us for a few weeks. Now, I dont know how they plan on using that; if they'll use it to pay any/all current employees/contracts with it...or if they'll defer to a slightly skeletonized staff of what the lab will classify as essential employees and send the rest home in an effort to make sure the essential employees have a pay check and remain happy.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I work for DHS. Yeah, I think it's definitely going to happen. I also highly doubt we'll be getting paid this time around either. That's the part that really pisses me off....it's not like we're choosing not to work.
    Well, private sector employees get laid off or fired pretty frequently, I think us federalies are getting a pretty good deal. I mean I'm sure lots of them would choose to work as well.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Quote Originally Posted by nejar462 View Post
    Well, private sector employees get laid off or fired pretty frequently, I think us federalies are getting a pretty good deal. I mean I'm sure lots of them would choose to work as well.
    Overall, yes, we get a pretty good deal. It's just a shame in instances like this where we are pawns in Washington's political games. It's just a pissing match at this point.....the dollar amounts are very inconsequential. These guys are arguing over peanuts, we're talking 2% of the budget.....give me a break.

Overall, yes, we get a pretty good deal. It's just a shame in instances like this where we are pawns in Washington's political games. It's just a pissing match at this point.....the dollar amounts are very inconsequential. These guys are arguing over peanuts, we're talking 2% of the budget.....give me a break.
    Sometimes I doubt I would even need all 5 fingers to count the number of politicians I respect.

All you guys expecting a mini non paid vacation should probably cancel your plans...they reached an agreement, no shut down this year boys.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Plus I doubt the government would ever stop paying the military. In world history when military benefits and pay have been cut it has not worked out too well for the government.

The suit-and-tie government always has to keep a close eye on the military.

For the record I seriously question the judgment of anyone who decides to join the US Military... either as civilian or soldier.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Plus I doubt the government would ever stop paying the military. In world history when military benefits and pay have been cut it has not worked out too well for the government.

The suit-and-tie government always has to keep a close eye on the military.

For the record I seriously question the judgment of anyone who decides to join the US Military... either as civilian or soldier.
    If you mean in the moral sense I'd be inclined to understand. If you mean for personal gain I'd disagree strongly. If you know how to work through the bureaucracy the military is a pretty darn good employer. My job is so good its crazy. The government paid off my student debt, I make 90k a year, I get awesome benefits, and the job is currently paying for my Ph'D. Once I get it and pay off my debt to the army I'm off to wherever tenure track positions still exist! I myself am a libertarian pacifist but my family comes before ideology.