Thread: Shoulder Bursitis/Tendonitis

Hybrid View

Shoulder Bursitis/Tendonitis

So I was halfway through my shoulder/bi workout 2 weeks ago. I was doing machine military presses and on my last few reps while pushing up, I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder. It wasn't a pop, but more like a sharp shooting sensation. My whole shoulder was in pain but still manageable so I went ahead and finished out my workout. Once I got home and started to cook, I felt my entire left shoulder was in pain. My left trap, delt, and the top of my shoulder as well as my shoulder blade hurt. It was quite unbearable and I basically could not and would not use my left arm because of the pain. During the first week, I felt stifness all over my shoulder and I could even feel some numbness run down my arm from my bicep to my middle finger. After about a week the bulk of the pain subsided a but it still hurt to move my arm/shoulder in certain ways. At this point I went to see a sports medicine doc. He gave me an x-ray and said nothing was broken. Did some tests to see if I had a torn rotator cuff, but amazingly, he said I had really strong tendons as he had used a lot of force when doing his tests. He said he highly doubted that I had a tear, and said that I probably have either a shoulder impingement, tendonits, bursitis or any combination of the three. Was told to RICE it for the next few weeks. I have not taken any NSAID's as ibuprofen upsets my stomach something wicked, and also because I always try to let my body heal itself as much as possible before using any meds if any at all. I would rather take more days off if neccessary to accomplish this.

So its been about a week and since seeing the doc and about 18 days since I injured my shoulder. Most of the pain has subsided and I pretty much have 85% mobility back with minimal pain while doing normal things. But when I looked in the mirror today, I noticed that my left trap and shoulder look shriveled compared to my right trap and shoulder. Is it normal for my trap to atrophy when it was my shouler that was injured? And also I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a shoulder workout for me to use from now on that will still help me to build shoulder size but is also tendonits/bursitis/impingement friendly? I am looking for ideas for either a Shoulder/Trap day or Shoulder/Bi day. Any advice, ideas, suggestions and help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by CB; 03-13-2008 at 03:08 AM.

Personally, I lose/gain muscle rapidly in between periods of lifting. You could be the same way. But the amount of time has been less than a month, so this may not be the case.
    On the other hand, it is possible you've been so concerned with your shoulder, you may be seeing shadows on it or are imagineing a little bit that your shoulder/trap is smaller b/c that's what you fear.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

No, it really is smaller. I thought I was imagining it too but I even asked my mom and my sister to compare for me and they definitely noticed a distinct difference. When I flex my traps, my good side (the right side) wraps over the top of the shoulder to the front and is full and firm. On the bad side (the left side) the trap seems shriveled, and also does not even go up to the top of the shoulder when flexed. It stops right below the top of the shoulder. It looks like some major atrophy has occured.

Is it possible that I may have torn the trap too when my shoulder went out? My doc said that along with my left shoulder he also noticed my left trap had some minor spasm.

Or could it be that because there was inflammation in my shoulder due to the tendonitis/bursitis that the inflamed areas took away blood flow and nutrients from the surrounding muscles because the damaged area needed it more than the areas that were not injured, and in turn possibly caused the surrounding muscles to atrophy due to reduced blood flow, reduced nutrients, and also due to the lack of movement (since that side was injured, I tried not to use my left side at all unless necessary)?
    Last edited by CB; 03-13-2008 at 02:09 PM.

It's possible that your diminished mobility plus the amount of time that has passed has reduced your shoulder size.

Don't freak out though, it will grow back soon as it heals up and you're back at it. When I broke my arm my forearm/bicep shrunk to the size of a little girl's. Took about 5 weeks to get it back. And this is from a break w/ months of zero mobility. Your case is less severe than that.
    5'8'' 180 lbs

Big 3: 1035

Footballer
    I actually just saw a doctor about a shoulder injury and the first thing he did was look at differences in trap size. My injured side was atrophied quite a bit.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Yesterday was my first day training shoulders again since my injury about 3 weeks ago. Injured side was definitely smaller and weaker compared to the good side. A good amount of atrophy has definitely occured. Range of motion was 80-85%. Strength was also about 80-85% compared to the good side.

Wannabebig New Member

shoulder bursitis

I have had shoulder burtitis for about 2 months now, i went to the doctor about 2 weeks after i started feeling pain in my shoulder and started physio theorpy about 2 weeks after that.
    the doctor told me i wouldn't need the physio but i think it was a good idea cause my shoulder has been getting better since.
    im on anti inflammatory meds and i ice it about 2-3 times a day

just wanted to know will i ever regain full strength in my shoulder?
    and would deep heat help at all or not?

Can't say for sure until you heal up up and start training again. But for me I have regained most of what I lost. Although my movements are somewhat limited now due to the possibility of future reinjury. I have had to modify my routine significantly to work arond my injury and have scaled back the sets, volume, and maximum weight I use for shoulders. Additionally I must avoid most excecises that places udue strain on my shoulder. But no matter what, let it heal up properly first and then take it slow from there. Good luck!

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks i will take it slow and since I'm only 19 should heal up petty good i hope, it was only a minor amount of fluid but i just agrevated it being impatient.
    guess signing up for the army is going to have to wait abit and will just have to work the lower body!
    thanks for the advise mate
    hope you recover 100%.

I dislocated my shoulder years ago, and suffered a partially torn rotator cuff, a detached labrum, and some torn cartilage. I didn't want to have an operation because Ive seen guys go that route and lose everything. I wore a sling for a while and it took months before I could raise my arm. I built the muscles up around it, but it never felt right in the joint since, always hurt and felt weak. A couple of years ago, I ruptured a disc in my neck. I know that it had something to do with the years of favoring that shoulder and carrying it differently especially throughout my jiu jitsu, boxing and MMA career. Along with the neck injury, I separated my ac joint on the same side, due to the muscle spasms. My own muscle pulled my ac joint up out of place.

I met a really good sport med doctor, and they are few and far between. I had seen a few, and surgery was my only option, followed by 9 months off. This doc was an outside the box thinker. He had suffered a shoulder injury as well, and did not want to have any surgery. He developed a piece of equipment to rehabilitate his shoulder. Its called the Rotator Reliever. Check it out- http://www.rotatoreliever.com/

Im actually doing an interview with him this week for an article that Im writing because this thing helped me so much. I still use it regularly to strengthen both shoulders and keep my neck stable. Its a great warm up, rehabilitation exercise, or preventative. I have nothing vested in this and Im not trying to "sell something" but I feel for guys who have to go under the knife because I've been there a few times. It sucks, and although sometimes it can't be avoided, it should be your last option. There are a couple parts to the rotator reliever concept, the exercises, then complete rest. You actually sleep with a device on that trains you to keep your arm down at your side while you sleep. When we raise our arm up and lay on it we lose circulation and blood flow to the joint while we sleep. It puts unwanted strain on the muscles, tendons and ligaments, and takes away from your recovery.

Check it out, when I get my article done Ill post a link up. Its a great little thing to have, Ill use mine forever. I think that everybody who does any kind of sport should have one and use it regularly. Its worth the money for a pain free shoulder and no surgery!