The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: who weighs their food

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always.......im serious about hitting my goals

18 30.51%
  • Never.....i work out, not train so i dont even have goals

8 13.56%
  • Sometimes.......i know enough to eyeball things and get close

24 40.68%
  • who needs to weigh food when you have McDonalds?

9 15.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who weighs their food????

Curious to see how many of you guys/girls weigh your food. Everybody knows Nutrition is paramount to hitting your lifting goals, I'm curious to see how many people go the extra mile to KNOW what they are putting in their bodies on a daily basis.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The Planet of Water and Iron, Galveston TX
    I do. I will probably continue to do so for a while. It keeps my head in the game and I enjoy feeling like I have control over SOMETHING.
    Stay calm and aggressive. -Gabby Reece

i feel the same way Wednesday. I weigh almost everything every day, even though i can usually eyeball it i still weigh it because i like knowing.

The Planet of Water and Iron, Galveston TX
    I think a certain personality just needs accountability. Leave me to my own devices and I'll eat tacos and drink beer til sundown.

I think as I become more comfortable in the gym and find my niche, that food will be less of a focus. Right now, its the only thing Im doing right, so I feel good about it.
    Stay calm and aggressive. -Gabby Reece

I weigh and measure everything pretty much.

I've been counting cals and such for long enough that I'm trying to eyeball things lately. if my weight starts getting off it's back to the calorie counting for me.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Only when pre-contest. Any other time I just eat larger portions and try to keep it healthy. cheesecake is my mortal arch-enemy.
    Weight:Current 195 B: 365 Raw D: 495 w/belt S: 505 w/knee wraps and a belt

man I love cheesecake. The Cheesecake Factory is on of my fav restaurants.

yeah I weigh it when I can but I'm always running around town staying at places eating other peoples food, so I just go for big portions. Sometimes it annoys people the shear volume of food I consume, but heck I like eating. I think once I'm out of school and into my own place I will have more control over the quantity of food I consume. I'm serious about my goals, and I like when it pisses people off.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I train, but I don't weigh my food... I realize that's not a choice on your little poll.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I train, but I don't weigh my food... I realize that's not a choice on your little poll.
    Same

Likewise. Your poll is biased, assuming that weighing your food means you are serious about your goals.

Lots of athletes are serious about their goals and have no need to be that accurate about food intake. I'd argue virtually NO ONE needs to be that accurate, including competitive bodybuilders.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Likewise. Your poll is biased, assuming that weighing your food means you are serious about your goals.

Lots of athletes are serious about their goals and have no need to be that accurate about food intake. I'd argue virtually NO ONE needs to be that accurate, including competitive bodybuilders.

Why? As we know, calories are most important when adding/losing size. Wouldn't it be wise to track what you're consuming if you're not gaining weight or adding fat too quickly?
    Last edited by Keith; 02-29-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

have you tried competing in a BB show? very very few people MIGHT be able to get away with not knowing what they are eating while prepping for a show. using Pros's as an example wont work either as they are the anomalies.

I included the McDonalds option for the guys that know they just need to get in a ton of calories to grow and thats good enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelKeck View Post
    have you tried competing in a BB show? very very few people MIGHT be able to get away with not knowing what they are eating while prepping for a show. using Pros's as an example wont work either as they are the anomalies.

I included the McDonalds option for the guys that know they just need to get in a ton of calories to grow and thats good enough for them.

Quite a few pro's don't track what they eat. They have selected meals that they consume everyday and go by that. I find it hard to understand why they wouldn't have to track especially coming into a show..

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

I weigh it all
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Why? As we know, calories are most important when adding/losing size. Wouldn't it be wise to track what you're consuming if you're not gaining weight or adding fat too quickly?
    The short answer: nutrition information is based on averages of amounts measured in a lab. The 4 ounces of 93% lean ground beef you have and the 4 ounces of 93% ground beef I have will not have exactly the same amounts of macronutrients.

Estimating is fine for the vast majority of people, and pretty fine adjustments can be made by simple changes not requiring weighing your food.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

The short answer: nutrition information is based on averages of amounts measured in a lab. The 4 ounces of 93% lean ground beef you have and the 4 ounces of 93% ground beef I have will not have exactly the same amounts of macronutrients.

Estimating is fine for the vast majority of people, and pretty fine adjustments can be made by simple changes not requiring weighing your food.

Fair enough.

Me? No. Not my cup of tea.

I do know a number of National level physique competitors and a couple of professionals. Most of them do not weigh all of their food. As someone said, they have very strict diets that consist of the same thing, over and over again, so there is little need to weigh food. An extra ounce of fish isn't going to matter. Most of them make weekly adjustments.

Further, much of bodybuilding precontest prep is manipulation of soduim and water, and the calories actually play less a role when you are close to a contest.

I swear, it's like I said the Pope is a pedophile.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

When on a diet either to gain or lose weight I weight and messure all meals. It is the key to getting to your goals in the fastest and best Way!
    Ain't Nothin 2 It But 2 Do It!
    BPM Osgood
    605@178
    www.myspace.com/bpmosgood

if you have solid nutritional knowledge and know what your eating, i dont think its necessary unless you are in contest prep. Some people have absolutely no idea how much 2000 calories, 200 grams of carbs and 200 grams of protien is though so it would benefit someone like that.

Me? No. Not my cup of tea.

I do know a number of National level physique competitors and a couple of professionals. Most of them do not weigh all of their food. As someone said, they have very strict diets that consist of the same thing, over and over again, so there is little need to weigh food. An extra ounce of fish isn't going to matter. Most of them make weekly adjustments.

Further, much of bodybuilding precontest prep is manipulation of soduim and water, and the calories actually play less a role when you are close to a contest.

pros and national level people are the exception not the rule, its why they are pro's. the amount of chemicals and drugs goin at that level can make diet a much smaller piece of the puzzle than it is for the rest of us.

only the last week or so of prep is sodium and water manipulation. I think calories make up the vast majority of the other 15 weeks or so

You brought them up, remember?

And they do it without a scale, because they are making large weekly adjustments.

It isn't the drugs, and diet is a huge part of the puzzle.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 03-02-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I can pretty much eye out my portions now. I eat pretty much the same foods all the time. 6 oz of chicken, beef, steak, etc are easy to eye out now.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

pros and national level people are the exception not the rule, its why they are pro's. the amount of chemicals and drugs goin at that level can make diet a much smaller piece of the puzzle than it is for the rest of us.

only the last week or so of prep is sodium and water manipulation. I think calories make up the vast majority of the other 15 weeks or so
    I've done 2 bodybuilding shows. Winning my division in my first one and placing 2nd out of 18 in my 2nd. I've never weighed my food.

...and according to the judges, the only reason I lost my 2nd one was because the guy had 15lbs on me. If I'd even been 10lbs heavier, I out posed and out conditioned but sizing won out. I never had to weigh my food.

You can be as "extreme" as you want to be but it all boils down to knowing what you're doing. I did well enough and have no doubt that I could again, without having to weigh my food. I've got too much other stuff to worry about.

If it makes you feel better, do it. But don't let that disillusion you into thinking that you're working harder than I am. Nine times out of ten, you aren't.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.