Thread: Questions on BULKING

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Questions on BULKING

As indicated in a previous post, I have been working out for a few years now, however have not really made the committment to develop a serious diet/routine until recently.

I'm 6'0, 174lbs, around 11-12% body fat. My long term goal is to be about 185-190, with about 6-7% body fat. My short term goal is to keep my current weight, only be at about 6-7% body fat by the middle of June (leaving at the end of June for a trip to Hawaii). I think I have enought time to do this, but Im a rookie at this so I may be mistaken (let me know if you think I am).

From what I have read and researched on here and other locations, the best way for me to achieve my short term goal is to bulk up, then cut down while being on a calorie deficit, during which I would keep my protein levels high, fat levels moderate, and carbohydrate levels very low. Any advice on cutting is appreciated as well, though my main questions are about bulking.

My understanding is that when bulking, the key is to keep your calorie levels high (for me I am estimating about 3000-3500 calories per day), cut out cardio pretty much altogether, and lift heavy.

On the nutrition portion of bulking, how important is it to only get your calories from "healthy" sources? Your fats from good fats as opposed to trans. fats, etc? Can you eat pretty much whatever you want while bulking? This seems like a silly question and I would think that the answer would be HELL NO, but again I am new to this and I have read tons of mixed opinions on this topic (this site included).

I guess just overall eating advice while bulking is what I am curious about.

Apologies if this is something easily answered, I had a hard time finding a clear answer while searching on here.

Thanks

Why would you cut out cardio?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    to keep your metabolism lower, making it easier to put on bulk.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

I think it depends on the person. I myself lose too much when I did cardio during a bulk, so I cut it off for a while. Whatever works better...
    Last edited by motionman04; 03-14-2008 at 01:16 AM.

I highly doubt 200 calories is making or breaking your bulk.

If you do cardio because of the many benefits associated with it, you should do it whether you're bulking or cutting. Lifting, in my opinion, is not sufficient cardio. Your heart rate is not constantly elevated.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock