Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lats.. Latss and More Lats and a few other problems

Hybrid View

Lats.. Latss and More Lats and a few other problems

Hey so I have been lifting for about 2.5 months now pretty consistently and diet is top notch and everything. I have noticed gain in size which I am trying to do. Basically im doing the 4 sets 8 reps scheme.. Im thinking of maybe going to a 5x5. I want to get bigger. There are a few things i like and a few things i dont like. I keep getting stronger which is good but size is starting to cap off now.. I want to get bigger. Also upon examing myself.. I can barely feel my lats.. I want them bigger. Also im starting to get strong on my bench press but when i feel my chest it doesnt feel that big also.. It actually feels like there is more fat on there. I cant complain about my arms because they are looking bigger and getting stronger. But i am not so sure about my chest and my Lats. I know ive lost fat but it feels like ive gotten softer in some spots.. Im not sure whats going on and maybe i need to change my lifting scheme up.. This is currently what i am doing.
    Monday- Chest Tri's( Bench, Incline machine , Decline machine , Pec Fly machine, for Tris , skull crushers , cable pulldown , Dip machine.)

Tues- Shoulders Bi's Back( shoulders- Military press , Dumbell raises forwards and sideways, Bar pull up. Bis - Barbell curls , preacher curls , hammer dumbells. Back - Row machine , Inclined angled Row (not sure if thas wat its called) , and Lat Pulldown

Wed - Legs ( Squats , Legpress , leg extension machine , hamstring machine , calf raises sitting down and standing)

Thurs - Deadlifts and Shruggs.. Light day..

Friday - Rest

Saturday starts all over again.. So anyone please give me some advice as to whats going on here.. Thanks alot. Im doing 4 sets at 8 reps.

i'd back off on the curls some. but as for your lats and chest... give it a little more time, and i would switch to the 5x5, what is your bench max? try to work in some bent over rows, instead of the machine, those work A LOT better.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

I don't like the look of your routine. Look into BGB or the WBB routines. BGB gave my back great size including my lats. Keep in mind though, size comes from how you eat. If you're not gaining size but increasing your strength, eat more. Be happy your strength is increasing, though. The body parts that you lag will catch up with the rest of you when you become bigger as a whole.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Slowly but surely
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I don't like the look of your routine. Look into BGB or the WBB routines.
    where can i find these routines?

Quote Originally Posted by Barcelona View Post
    where can i find these routines?
    Use the search.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Wannabebig Member
    It seems to me that you need more rest for recovery time - 4 days on, one day of rest, then do it all over again simply does not allow enough recovery if you are truly hitting it hard and expect to grow and get stronger, especially whilst including the big lifts such as squats, deads, and benches...

Also when i eat alot.. my stomach just sticks way far out.. Is this normal? But yea i guess i havent been eating enough.. But my Bench Max is at around 255.

Quote Originally Posted by viperc8 View Post
    Also when i eat alot.. my stomach just sticks way far out.. Is this normal? But yea i guess i havent been eating enough.. But my Bench Max is at around 255.
    Yes it is normal. Keep on eating and the size will come and I'd recommend BGB for your routine.

I'm not sure if those are the orders you do your exercises in but I would definitely be doing my rowing movements before curls. You'll be fresher and more able to go heavy/long. Four days on and one day off does seem like you should be getting more rest too. Try doing a 2on/1off/2on/2off split during the week.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    This is a good read!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    This is a good read!
    If you take anything from this it is:

Concentrate on your elbows when doing any sort of rows or vertical pulling. On rows, think about forcing your elbows back and squeezing your shoulder blades together. For chins, concentrate on drive the elbows downward.

That always helps me to "focus" on the lats rather than the arms.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    If you take anything from this it is:

Concentrate on your elbows when doing any sort of rows or vertical pulling. On rows, think about forcing your elbows back and squeezing your shoulder blades together. For chins, concentrate on drive the elbows downward.

That always helps me to "focus" on the lats rather than the arms.
    Thats a good tip. I notice that for back exercises (pullups, lat pulldowns,seated rows,db rows) I tend to cheat sometimes and use my arms too much. Back exercises definately need concentration to work effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    This is a good read!
    Great article thanks for the post.
    Crushing weights, pounding shakes, devouring food...bulking up this beanpole
    Height: Too Tall Weight: Not big enough Age: Young and naive

and in case on certain days if i dont eat enough.. wouldnt the fat on my body be used and would be able to still provide my body with what it needs??

and in case on certain days if i dont eat enough.. wouldnt the fat on my body be used and would be able to still provide my body with what it needs??
    I don't understand what you mean. Would you still continue you to gain? No.

wouldnt it be better if i worked some more? It just doesnt seem like it would be enough.. And Also should i be feeling sore everytime?? I want to feel sore but i dont feel sore anymore..

wouldnt it be better if i worked some more? It just doesnt seem like it would be enough.. And Also should i be feeling sore everytime?? I want to feel sore but i dont feel sore anymore..
    Don't judge soreness as an indication of a good work out. Pay attention to your numbers. If your strength increases and you're eating enough, your body will grow.

Wannabebig Member
    Just like many things in life...its more about quality than quantity.

I am also trying to get my back stronger and highly recommend Built's Baby Got Back routine.
    Check it out and everything else on her blog for all you need to know about lifting,cardio,diet,etc.

Keith, for BGB, do you think a 4on/3off split would be ok?
    The reason is I can only workout Mon-Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by eric1214 View Post
    Keith, for BGB, do you think a 4on/3off split would be ok?
    The reason is I can only workout Mon-Thurs.
    Training 4 days in a row with this routine will take quite the toll on your body. You can't seperate this at all, no?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Training 4 days in a row with this routine will take quite the toll on your body. You can't seperate this at all, no?

Well I can only lift Mondays - Thursdays.
    I was thinking about combining Quad and Hams on one day and doing Mon,Tue,Thurs...

I would scrap that routine and go heavy on:

Weighted pullups (non close grip, palms out) - 5x5
    t-bar rows - 3x5
    DB rows - 3x8
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

wow keith, you're f'n patient dude!

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    wow keith, you're f'n patient dude!
    Sarcasm?

Eat bigger to get bigger.

You are doing too much volume and wasting time on redundant exercises. I'd pare that down and stick to the basic compund movements with maybe just a very few supplemental isolation movements thrown in if necessary to attack any lagging bodyparts.

If you REALLY want to get big lats, pullups/chinups need to be in there for sure.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Eat bigger to get bigger.

You are doing too much volume and wasting time on redundant exercises. I'd pare that down and stick to the basic compund movements with maybe just a very few supplemental isolation movements thrown in if necessary to attack any lagging bodyparts.

If you REALLY want to get big lats, pullups/chinups need to be in there for sure.
    Agreed. You want to get stronger Lats but are only doing one Lat exercise.
    Start doing pull ups.