The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: new to cutting

Wannabebig Member

new to cutting

Hey everyone,

I am going to try a strict cut, but dont exactly know what im doing. Is there like a good cutting for noobs article out there i could read that would give me the ins and outs on diet and workouts? Im not sure how my calories should be partitioned through carbs/fats/protein. should I keep doing my usual workout or change it up? how often to eat...overall just this kind of stuff.

thanks a lot

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you're cutting you want to try to get ~1g of protein per lb of weight, .5g of fat per lb and then fill the rest with carbs. Try to avoid sugars, especially before you go to bed. Track your eating habits for a couple of weeks to find your maintenance level, once you find it subtract 200-300 calories a day from that and if you're not losing weight then subtract more.
    Keep your workout routine as is and maybe do some cardio 3-5 times a week on days that you're not lifting or at least 8 hours away from your lifting session.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565 <-- list of healthy food choices
    http://wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123617 <--post on cutting with a meal breakdown, you can take people's suggestions and apply them to your own diet.
    Last edited by Trainwreck; 04-19-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Currently: Sore

Wannabebig Member
    thanks a ton

Since we don't know what your "usual workout" is, that question can't be answered. Everything else you want to know can be answered pretty simply by reading this and pretty much every other thread in this forum that asked essentially the same question.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    If you're cutting you want to try to get ~1g of protein per lb of weight, .5g of fat per lb and then fill the rest with carbs. Try to avoid sugars, especially before you go to bed. Track your eating habits for a couple of weeks to find your maintenance level, once you find it subtract 200-300 calories a day from that and if you're not losing weight then subtract more.
    Keep your workout routine as is and maybe do some cardio 3-5 times a week on days that you're not lifting or at least 8 hours away from your lifting session.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46565 <-- list of healthy food choices
    http://wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123617 <--post on cutting with a meal breakdown, you can take people's suggestions and apply them to your own diet.
    thats a bad way to come up with macros (the 1g protein/pound of BW + .5g fat/pound of BW). Everybody is different as far as maintenance levels. A linear function like you suggested won't capture the difference well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    thats a bad way to come up with macros (the 1g protein/pound of BW + .5g fat/pound of BW). Everybody is different as far as maintenance levels. A linear function like you suggested won't capture the difference well enough.
    Actually, the generally accepted method for figuring out macronutrient requirements is basing it against either bodyweight or LBM. It's far superior to do it this way since it results in specific target numbers rather than a percentage of calories. Determining macros like this isn't affected at all by an individual's maintenance calorie level like you're suggesting.

Wannabebig Member
    my body mass is 178, BF% is 16, and LBM is 150

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Actually, the generally accepted method for figuring out macronutrient requirements is basing it against either bodyweight or LBM. It's far superior to do it this way since it results in specific target numbers rather than a percentage of calories. Determining macros like this isn't affected at all by an individual's maintenance calorie level like you're suggesting.
    how is it possible to determine LBM if an individual does not know his BF%?

One size fits all answers are never right when it comes to the human body. As general principles that can shape your first stabs at getting your diet right perhaps they're OK. But, technically they will never be accurate simply in virtue of the fact that every body responds differently to different levels of nutrients.

how is it possible to determine LBM if an individual does not know his BF%?
    I had written this out in my previous post but decided to remove it because the OP knew his starting composition so it wasn't relevant.

According to many, using the LBM you would have at the end of your cut/bulk composition is adequate for determining your starting point. I'm reasonably certain Lyle McDonald writes that in several of his books. I know I've seen it from him more than once.

One size fits all answers are never right when it comes to the human body. As general principles that can shape your first stabs at getting your diet right perhaps they're OK. But, technically they will never be accurate simply in virtue of the fact that every body responds differently to different levels of nutrients.
    I've never seen you give any kind of advice that's remotely accurate or useful. In this case, you haven't even provided an alternative, just insisted that what's been said thus far is wrong.

In this case, your assertion that this is a "one size fits all" solution is dead wrong. You know why? Because YOUR BODY IS THE BASIS FOR THE SCALING.

How does something that's 100% based on the individual, thus being inherently different for each person, still qualify as "one size fits all"?
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 04-19-2009 at 04:53 PM.