Thread: Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 and my Goals

Starting Strength or Bill Starr's 5x5 and my Goals

Basically, I am trying to decide between these two programs.
    I have roughtly 3 months training experience, and unfortunately had to take 2 months off for basketball season.
    I am wondering if I would still be at the novice/beginner level, and should then go with Starting Strength for the next while, or if it would be good to start a 5x5 (this one, specifically http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...5x5.htm?200823 though with Bent Over Rows replaced with Power Cleans for explosiveness training (to help vertical leap and basketball skills))

My main short term goals are to get as explosive as possible, and add as much weight to my Squat, Deadlift, and Power Clean (would be starting from scratch on this one) as possible before the summer. Getting bigger is just a pleasant side-effect, my main goal is to get as strong as possible before going into more specific vertical work (I'll be using programs from the Vertical Jump Bible for this).

My long term goals are to add 8+ inches to my vertical and at the very least be able to grab the rim consistantly, as at the moment I am only barely touching the rim. What I'm really hoping for is to be able to dunk by next basketball season, if only in warm up. The vertical increase will help a lot with shot blocking as well.

So, in summary, assuming I am eating right and so forth, would I see better progress from Starting Strength or a 5x5 given my training experience?
    (Yes, I know everyone is different and that no one's gains will be the same as someone elses, this is more a question of which program is better for the amount of training experience I already have)
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Yes, you are a novice.

Unlike many, I don't think you have to use any routine exaclty as prescribed (although it's not a bad idea). Why don't you consider the set/rep range from Rippetoe, and use madcow's suggestions for lifts.

Something like this:

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Row 3x5

Workout B
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Chin 3xasmanyaspossible

Thow in 15 minutes of arms/abs/whatever at the end of each one.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

One last question, if I were to use what you suggested, would I still be doing warm up sets then 3x5 of the working weight, or would I use the ramping weight from the 5x5?
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Warmup and then do 3x5 of the working weight.

Thanks, I'll start tomorrow then.

Hangar 18 - Journal