The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Getting Frustrated...Still not gaining weight or size

So my background is that I have been weightlifting for over 6 years but never put any real effort into gaining weight. I am 5foot9 140 pounds. So pretty skinny but I have a decent build for my size.

Recently I decided to try and gain some weight & size but I am not seeing any results. I am currently doing the 5x5 routine (at Week 10) and while I have gained strength I haven't made any noticable change in size and I haven't gained any weight. My current diet has me eating ~3600 calories a day (288g protein, 360g carbs, 112g fat). Now that seems like a lot for someone my size and I am still not getting any results. I think I am already eating the maximum amount of protein per day that I would feel safe eating.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It is getting very frustrating to be working this hard and eating this much and not getting anything out of.

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Post your routine here, and go over to the diet and nutrition section, and post more specifics about your diet there.

My guesses:

You aren't eating enough
    You aren't training correctly
    or
    You aren't working hard enough.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

288grams of protein with only 3600 calories...how do u get so much protein with so few calories...i try to put down 3500 calories per day and 200 grams of protein...what can u squat/bench/deadlift?
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

Wannabebig Member
    I am doing the Bill Starr 5x5 routine right now except with Stiff Leg Lifts insted of Deadlifts becuase of a back injury I can't do the Deadlifts right now.

Current Bench is 160x5
    Current Squat is 175x5

I added all the protein (using protein powder) to try something different with my diet but obviously it isn't working.

Eat more.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Eat more. There is no question that that is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticBliss View Post
    I am doing the Bill Starr 5x5 routine right now except with Stiff Leg Lifts insted of Deadlifts becuase of a back injury I can't do the Deadlifts right now.

Current Bench is 160x5
    Current Squat is 175x5

I added all the protein (using protein powder) to try something different with my diet but obviously it isn't working.
    i dont understand how you have been weightlifting for 6 years, yet your squat is only 15 lbs higher than your bench press...Eat More and Hit the gym hard
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

Something doesn't compute.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanny817 View Post
    i dont understand how you have been weightlifting for 6 years, yet your squat is only 15 lbs higher than your bench press...Eat More and Hit the gym hard
    Because I used to be into long distance running back then so I didn't start concentrating on leg strength and size until recently.

Because I used to be into long distance running back then so I didn't start concentrating on leg strength and size until recently.
    ooo not trying to make fun, just seems weird
    Last edited by BigDanny817; 03-18-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

So how long have you been trying to gain size? You say "recently".
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Eat more. There is no question that that is your problem.
    Agreed. Your protein intake is plenty. Turn up the carbs/fat so you hit 4000-4500 calories. Make sure your eating only clean fats..

And also check your training intensity. Volume doesn't mean intensity. It is better to do low volume, very intense/brutal work sets, than waste two hours in the gym "pump" training. one or two brutal working sets should be enough to kick your ass. also make sure your leaving adequate recovery time. NEVER workout when you can't put in 100% again.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    So how long have you been trying to gain size? You say "recently".
    About 6 months now.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    Agreed. Your protein intake is plenty. Turn up the carbs/fat so you hit 4000-4500 calories. Make sure your eating only clean fats..

And also check your training intensity. Volume doesn't mean intensity. It is better to do low volume, very intense/brutal work sets, than waste two hours in the gym "pump" training. one or two brutal working sets should be enough to kick your ass. also make sure your leaving adequate recovery time. NEVER workout when you can't put in 100% again.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try upping the diet again, although I find it is getting hard to eat this much during the day.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try upping the diet again, although I find it is getting hard to eat this much during the day.
    Try a weight gainer. At Large sells a good one from what I've heard.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

yeah its called Maximus, great tasting and very good quality calories

Maximus will not solve the problem.

Post your training routine
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 03-18-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

nobody said it'd solve his problem, just that it'd help. He needs to get more calories in and drinking that many calories is easier than eating them

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post

Day 1:

Bench Press 5x5
    Squats 5x5
    Bent Over Rows 5x5
    Abs
    Hypers

Day 2:
    Squats 5x5
    Shoulder Press 5x5
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts 5x5
    Laterial Raises x2

Day 3:
    Squats 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Bent Over Rows 5x5
    Barbell Curls x2
    Skull Crushers x2
    Abs

I think it will help. He's following a good routine. Granted, the effort may not quite be there, but if he's having trouble gaining weight the problem is insufficient calories.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 03-18-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Banned
    I tend to eat a LOT more carbs about 700+ grams that might not work out for you though. Do you know what you maintenance level is?

Possibly you might be over-training, how do your schedule work do you rest every other day or something?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MihalikPJ View Post
    I tend to eat a LOT more carbs about 700+ grams that might not work out for you though. Do you know what you maintenance level is?

Possibly you might be over-training, how do your schedule work do you rest every other day or something?
    Ya, I usually work out Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday.

Something still doesn't compute. More food will help, but we are still missing something. That many calories at that weight should be leading to some growing.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Something still doesn't compute. More food will help, but we are still missing something. That many calories at that weight should be leading to some growing.
    exactly what i was thinking, his calorie intake should be more than enough to put on weight...
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

Hardgainer?. I've got a skinny ass friend who's 6 foot 145 and he'll eat 3,000 calories daily and all he does is **** it out, lol. Some peoples' metabolisms are just insane.