The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question about Power Cleans

Okay so I've been doing cleans for a while now ever since I started playing football for my school because they were part of the workout. The other day when I was at my gym however some guy in his early 40s came up to me after I finished my sets and asked me what i was doing. I told him power cleans to build explosiveness. He then told me about how he used to do them among other exercises and eventually the disks in his lower back snapped or something and his back has been bad ever since. He asked me if my back hurt after my sets and I said no because it didnt, and he said that his wouldnt hurt after sets either when he was young.

So should I stop doing power cleans because they are bad for my back?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Power cleans are not bad for the back. The way a lot of people do power cleans is bad for the back.

If you're worried, have a competent coach take a look at your form, and/or post a video.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

You're free to ignore 99% of the comments ever made to you by anybody in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    You're free to ignore 99% of the comments ever made to you by anybody in the gym.
    No doubt lol

I love power cleans and no, my back doesn't hurt. lol

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc73/kevbw14/clean1-1.gif
    This is the better end of powerclean, not spot on technique but safe non the less.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Power clean is a bigger risk for injury if you have poor form. I stick to Hang clean which is the same thing except instead of exploding from the ground, you start by holding the weight above the ground and clean from there.
    "I thrive on steel"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc73/kevbw14/clean1-1.gif
    This is the better end of powerclean, not spot on technique but safe non the less.
    When you powerclean, aren't you supposed to do some sort of military press with it after you clean it?

Quote Originally Posted by failed View Post
    When you powerclean, aren't you supposed to do some sort of military press with it after you clean it?
    The clean is the part that Fuzzy showed. After that, you can press, push press, or jerk the weight up, but that is not considered part of the clean.

Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by HittinDat4 View Post
    Power clean is a bigger risk for injury if you have poor form. I stick to Hang clean which is the same thing except instead of exploding from the ground, you start by holding the weight above the ground and clean from there.
    I started doing hang cleans also. Fuzzy does your coach suggest to start with hang cleans/snatches before going into the full ROM because it "eases/guides" your form in the right direction? I've read that around a lot.

EDIT: Personally since doing them I feel that my form on cleans is a lot smoother, I'm pulling up my body more and snapping my elbows faster.
    Last edited by Killa Kurt; 03-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

I see a lot of people arch their back improperly during power cleans, which could lead to back problems. Just like with deadlifts, squats, bench, or anything really, proper form should always be stressed ABOVE weight/reps.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

From a purely technical standpoint, I'd consider Fuzzy's clean to be less of a power-clean and more squat-clean, but I know that you Oly lifters only consider it a full squat-clean if you break parallel.

From a purely technical standpoint, I'd consider Fuzzy's clean to be less of a power-clean and more squat-clean, but I know that you Oly lifters only consider it a full squat-clean if you break parallel.
    My knees nealry flew out trying to stop that going into a full clean!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-Lt6mOvrE

Thats a video of me doing 5 quick reps with low weight to get it on my very very low memory phone. Thats more or less how I do the reps only a little slower without whipping down the weight after reps. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by piothepio View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-Lt6mOvrE

Thats a video of me doing 5 quick reps with low weight to get it on my very very low memory phone. Thats more or less how I do the reps only a little slower without whipping down the weight after reps. Any suggestions?
    You're pulling with your arms. Your arms shouldn't be assisting ion the movement at all. And it doesn't look like you're racking the bar high enough. Really focus on shrugging the weight up and whipping the elbows as high as you can.

Wannabebig Member
    what do you mean that my arms shouldnt be assisting exactly? the movement should come naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by piothepio View Post
    what do you mean that my arms shouldnt be assisting exactly? the movement should come naturally?
    The movement of the bar should come from the jump and the shrug. That's it. Your arms should be relaxed, and you only move them to rack the bar. If you feel your arms are being exercised at all, besides maybe forearms from the first pull, then you are doing the movement wrong. A clean is not a reverse bicep curl.

Arms should be like ropes to hang the bar off your shoulders. Looks like still holding the bar at the top too, should be resting more on your delts.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

The coolest part of the clean is the boiyoiyoing!! of the elbows when you catch the bar.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.