The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Another updated squat critque

First one is just 135x6 to warm up, second one is 220x5. The weight has been increasing 5lbs every week so far but tonight I just didn't have it in my to complete my fourth or fifth set, probably because I was tired already and I sat in the hole too long on my 5th rep in set 3, so it really killed me.

I see my hips are still rising first, before my back. Bah.
    Last edited by berfles; 03-20-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Change your "music".....

Other than that, it looks to me like your low back is weak which is why you are bending over at the waist and letting quads take over. Just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Change your "music".....

Other than that, it looks to me like your low back is weak which is why you are bending over at the waist and letting quads take over. Just my humble opinion.
    Sorry, I was watching Scrubs like usual when I lift.

I don't think my lower back is weak, I just try to stick my ass out so far that I bend over like that. I don't think I realize I'm doing it so far that I'm bending over, if my lower back was weak I probably wouldn't be able to straighten up easily or at all.

I think I'll try not squatting "back" so far next time.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

I only watched the second video and it's tough to see much from that angle for some reason... might be able to see more if you set up the camera a little farther away.

The thing that jumps out at me is your set-up is non-existent - you stumble out of the j-hooks and start squatting almost before you have proper footing. Be strong coming out of the racks. Step out with authority (that doesn't mean big steps, just solid ones) and steel yourself before commencing with the lift. When you've automatized a flawless set-up it will make it a lot easier to lifter bigger and bigger weights.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Sorry, I was watching Scrubs like usual when I lift.

I don't think my lower back is weak, I just try to stick my ass out so far that I bend over like that. I don't think I realize I'm doing it so far that I'm bending over, if my lower back was weak I probably wouldn't be able to straighten up easily or at all.

I think I'll try not squatting "back" so far next time.
    So, did you want an opinion or an opposing viewpoint you could immediately shoot down? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I only watched the second video and it's tough to see much from that angle for some reason... might be able to see more if you set up the camera a little farther away.

The thing that jumps out at me is your set-up is non-existent - you stumble out of the j-hooks and start squatting almost before you have proper footing. Be strong coming out of the racks. Step out with authority (that doesn't mean big steps, just solid ones) and steel yourself before commencing with the lift. When you've automatized a flawless set-up it will make it a lot easier to lifter bigger and bigger weights.

Makes sense, I may have been rushed by the time on my camera because the battery was low, but maybe not. I'll look at some of the other videos I have when the battery was full to see if I was more "relaxed" then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    So, did you want an opinion or an opposing viewpoint you could immediately shoot down? Just curious...
    You said your opinion, and I said what I think because I know what happens when I don't stick my ass out that far. If I do that with no weight at all I still bend over at the waist and have my hips rise first, that's why I said I think I stick out too far.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Makes sense, I may have been rushed by the time on my camera because the battery was low, but maybe not. I'll look at some of the other videos I have when the battery was full to see if I was more "relaxed" then.
    Being "relaxed" has nothing to do with a proper squat set-up. I hope you were understanding this.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Being "relaxed" has nothing to do with a proper squat set-up. I hope you were understanding this.
    I used relaxed in quotes because I meant not rushed to get it on tape before the battery died (not making excuses, just clarifying what I meant to make sure I get it). I really don't know if I set up properly when I'm not taping myself, I just kind of do it, so there a good chance I also rush out then as well. I'll be sure to realize what I'm doing next time instead of just doing it.

I think maybe part of the reason I rushed out is that for some reason it's in my head that standing with the weight = pausing with a bench press, and that it'll take more out of me if I stand there and get ready compared to just doing it right away. Don't know why.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

The Scrubs musical episode! One of my favorite episodes of tv of all time!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    The Scrubs musical episode! One of my favorite episodes of tv of all time!
    Everything comes down to poo!
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)