The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form

Hybrid View

Banned

Squat form Dead lift form, still pain

This is my squat form. Is this why my lower back hurts? is my form that bad? I lift in a YMCA and it is to crowded to take a vid so I had to clean this in my apartment gym.

Squat
    http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=P8110072.flv

Dead lift 135 no pain
    http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=P8140074.flv

Dead lift 185, some pain
    http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=P8140075.flv

Today's RANT

Ok this is a rant. I was at the gym today and was so PISSED! I have been on RESULTS now for over two weeks and just got another jug, nitrean and ets. However I think I am going to stop taking RESULTS and not start ETS until i get this lower back pain figured out. I am not going to grow if I can't squat of dead lift for ****. I dont know what is wrong?! If i squat or dead lift over 135 my lower back kills me then if messes up the rest of my workout. Should I try and find a good trainer and just pay him for a little while to see if it's all form. I will post a video of my dead lift form as well. A guy said at the gym the my lower back just may be really weak, he said try doing hypers and see how many you can do. I can do sets with a plate in my hand for 10 reps without much problem so do you think its really a weak back issue? I just cant take this **** I put to much time and effort into this and now I can't get anything done.
    Last edited by The Bran Man; 03-19-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i personally cannot lift without a belt on.
    when i dont use it, my back KILLS me.

I might be the only person saying this, but if you bend forward just a little, then your knees wont move up.

idk if that helped or not!
    hope it did.

good luck figuring it out
    Last edited by chinaz; 03-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    Female, 17
    height- 4'7
    weight- 109.2

[Squat]-270Goal-350
    [Dead Lift]-290Goal-360
    [Bench]-145Goal-200

We're not here to blow sunshine up your ass. We're here to give you honest, fair opinions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaz View Post
    i personally cannot lift without a belt on.
    when i dont use it, my back KILLS me.

I might be the only person saying this, but if you bend forward just a little, then your knees wont move up.

idk if that helped or not!
    hope it did.

good luck figuring it out
    Back hurts even if I use a belt, My back only hurts when I squat more than 150, maybe my lower back just isn't strong enough.

not really the best angle to judge form, but from what I can tell it looks like you might not be sitting back enough on your heels
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Looks like you need to lead with your ass more and push through your heels. Your depth is good but it looks like your on your toes.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Footballer
    It looks like you're first movement is knees forward when the first movement should be sitting your ass backwards.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Banned
    I understand that you can be strong at some things and not that others, I guess my question is, Is it possible that I can leg press 800 pounds and no squat 185 without my back hurting. Is it because my core is not strong? My lower back?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bran Man View Post
    I understand that you can be strong at some things and not that others, I guess my question is, Is it possible that I can leg press 800 pounds and no squat 185 without my back hurting. Is it because my core is not strong? My lower back?
    Don't compare a leg press to a squat. It's different in many ways.

Correct your form first before worrying about the comparison. What part of your back is hurting? If it's where the bar is placed, that will go away with time. If it's the middle/lower portion, you really need to stick you chest right out and keep your back as tight as possible.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Don't compare a leg press to a squat. It's different in many ways.

Correct your form first before worrying about the comparison. What part of your back is hurting? If it's where the bar is placed, that will go away with time. If it's the middle/lower portion, you really need to stick you chest right out and keep your back as tight as possible.
    I really appreciate the help but you should read that posts before jumping to conclusions. I posted that I do squat a squat rack my local YMCA however I did this in my apartment gym because the Y is to packed. Also stated that the pain is in the lower back, muscle pain. I will try to get a better vid. Thanks

I really appreciate the help but you should read that posts before jumping to conclusions. I posted that I do squat a squat rack my local YMCA however I did this in my apartment gym because the Y is to packed. Also stated that the pain is in the lower back, muscle pain. I will try to get a better vid. Thanks
    Sorry, dude. Didn't even bother to read your first post.

Are you keeping a tight arch? Your balance looks to be quite off which could throw your alignment out and lose the tightness in your back.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Yeah, your core might be weak. Do you do you do deadlifts or hyperextensions?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Yeah, your core might be weak. Do you do you do deadlifts or hyperextensions?
    I do deadlifts but I just started about a month ago so I have been doing light deads as well. No to the hyperextensions, do you think they will help a lot?

You should REALLY consider investing in some squat racks.

Looks to me like your knees are moving before your hips. You really have to sit back with the weight and push through your heels as opposed to dropping straight down. Your balance will be really off because of that.

Hard to tell without being able to see your feet, but unless you have REALLY flexible ankles, it looks like you might be coming up on toes. Like the others side, try pushing your ass back further like your going to sit back down into a chair.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Leg press cannot even be compared to a free squat at all.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I agree with the others. It really looks like you're coming forward onto your toes. You really need to sit back into your squat more.

Good mornings will help with lower back strength and also rack pulls from the knee
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Good mornings will help with lower back strength and also rack pulls from the knee
    Can i do rack pull from a smith machine, at my Y we have a squat rack, not a free weight power rack.
    Last edited by The Bran Man; 03-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Can i do rack pull from a smith machine, at my Y we have a squat rack and now a free weight power rack.
    No. If you now have a power rack, do it in there. That's the only place.

What he said^^
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Banned
    That sucks

That sucks
    Why? You said your gym has them now, right?

I believe I have this problem as well. Anything I could try to correct it? lighter on the weight first?
    "Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

5X5:
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 216lbs
    Full squats - 235lb
    Bench - 260lb
    Deadlift - 345lb

Quote Originally Posted by Shouse94 View Post
    I believe I have this problem as well. Anything I could try to correct it? lighter on the weight first?
    If you post a video we would have a better understanding of where you're having problems and what to correct. If you feel your form is off, the weight should always be light no matter what.

Drop the weight until you perfect your form, even if you are squatting a broomstick. thats the best advice i can give you. Squats will hurt your back, and if you haven't been doing anything to strengthen your lower back, then it is week. hit the posterior chain hard, and it will make your squat a lot stronger. try box squatting. experiment with stances and see whats most comfortable. break at the hips and DONT COME FORWARD. you need to get with some guys who know what they are doing and get them to show you how to squat. the reason i'm being so critical is i started squatting with horrible form, and had to correct myself all over again. listen to the people on this board, and keep taking videos.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com