The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

some advice on belts

I've been thinking about investing in a good belt here lately. My squat is going up (350) and Deadlift as well (415). I know those aren't huuuuge numbers, but they aren't nothing either, in terms of what they could potentially do to one's body. I've got pretty good form and have had no injuries thus far, but think that it might be wise to invest in a belt, especially for deadlifts. My questions are as follows:

1). Why use a belt? What are some of the reasons people might want to use a belt?

2). Would you recommend getting one?

3). If so, where can I buy a good belt? I was looking at the ones Inzer makes and some of the ones on Elitefts, too. Are they about the same in quality, or do you have other recommendations?

4). Finally, how do you know what size to get? I was on Inzer's website and I saw something about a 13mm and a 10mm belt, though I am assuming that those may be the measurements for the width of the belt?

Thanks, guys, to whoever can give some advice. I appreciate it a lot!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    I've been thinking about investing in a good belt here lately. My squat is going up (350) and Deadlift as well (415). I know those aren't huuuuge numbers, but they aren't nothing either, in terms of what they could potentially do to one's body. I've got pretty good form and have had no injuries thus far, but think that it might be wise to invest in a belt, especially for deadlifts. My questions are as follows:

1). Why use a belt? What are some of the reasons people might want to use a belt?
    To squat more. Don't be tricked into a false sense of security. It will not protect your back.

2). Would you recommend getting one?
    Sure.

3). If so, where can I buy a good belt? I was looking at the ones Inzer makes and some of the ones on Elitefts, too. Are they about the same in quality, or do you have other recommendations?
    Inzer has great belts.

4). Finally, how do you know what size to get? I was on Inzer's website and I saw something about a 13mm and a 10mm belt, though I am assuming that those may be the measurements for the width of the belt?
    I'd suggest you get the 13mm, others may disagree. As for the size, I'm pretty sure it goes by waist size...
    Thanks, guys, to whoever can give some advice. I appreciate it a lot!
    Blah
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Hey, Deeder, thanks for the advice/information. I was wondering, how does it help you squat more? I'm not doubting you; I'm just wondering why this is true. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Hey, Deeder, thanks for the advice/information. I was wondering, how does it help you squat more? I'm not doubting you; I'm just wondering why this is true. Thanks.
    A big limiting factor for squatting and deadlifting (and to a lesser degree benching) is core strength. Wearing a belt simulates having a stronger core. You push your stomach into the belt and it creates more intra-abdominal pressure than you could without the belt.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

maybe i can be the devils advocate here...I don't want to use a belt, having my core strength go up with my 3 i think is a great idea. I love the idea of being able to dead lift 600lbs one day without a belt (I only do 315x5 now but its belt free). I'm more interested in total body fitness than whats the biggest number I can push or pull, though, i do have my days. Maybe a rant? maybe helpful? only you can decide
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    maybe i can be the devils advocate here...I don't want to use a belt, having my core strength go up with my 3 i think is a great idea. I love the idea of being able to dead lift 600lbs one day without a belt (I only do 315x5 now but its belt free). I'm more interested in total body fitness than whats the biggest number I can push or pull, though, i do have my days. Maybe a rant? maybe helpful? only you can decide
    This is the powerlifting section eh?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

What sort of squat and deadlift numbers do people usually get to before investing in a belt? And are they simply to improve performance? Is there no safety benefit?
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

just make sure you can move some weight without a belt before you buy one. do some sets without it, if you use it too much you can actually end up injuring yourself.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

well i'm comfortably at 300x3 deadlift, x5 at a struggle. Squat though I feel my core is weak as I tend to bend over too much on the way up, I don't feel strong enough in my core to resist being pushed over by the weight. I guess a belt could help here, but solving the problem by increasing core strength would be a better idea...
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    just make sure you can move some weight without a belt before you buy one. do some sets without it, if you use it too much you can actually end up injuring yourself.
    How much weight are you talking about here? Thanks, man.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Right... Because anyone who deadlifts 600lbs in a belt clearly has no core strength...

Quote Originally Posted by Beno79 View Post
    What sort of squat and deadlift numbers do people usually get to before investing in a belt? And are they simply to improve performance? Is there no safety benefit?
    There's no set limit. If you plan on competing, get a belt. If not, it's completely up to you...

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I disagree with the first point. There's no reason not to learn how to use a belt from the start. I completely agree with your second point. Training without the belt can be more important than training with it. I'm 3 weeks out of nationals and I'm 12 weeks in to a 16 week program. The first 8 or so I only used a belt for my squats in knee wraps. (That's 1 out of 3 times a week I was squatting, including the front squats on my deadlift day)

Quote Originally Posted by Beno79 View Post
    well i'm comfortably at 300x3 deadlift, x5 at a struggle. Squat though I feel my core is weak as I tend to bend over too much on the way up, I don't feel strong enough in my core to resist being pushed over by the weight. I guess a belt could help here, but solving the problem by increasing core strength would be a better idea...
    Why not both? It could also be a form problem. At your level, imbalances are not pronounced and most issues will be with technique.
    Full Powerlifting

Banned
    Christ, it's a belt, not a decision to give up your first born. It's a tool, and a safety device.

I personally like the Inzers, but do a search for Bob's Custom Lifting Belts. Awesome belts that will last a lifetime and they are made to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Christ, it's a belt, not a decision to give up your first born. It's a tool, and a safety device.

I personally like the Inzers, but do a search for Bob's Custom Lifting Belts. Awesome belts that will last a lifetime and they are made to order.

Inzer forever belts will also last a lifetime.
    Full Powerlifting