The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Power Clean Advice (with video)

I'm trying to teach myself to power clean and it would be great if anyone could give me some pointers. In this video it seems that Im not getting a tight enough arch in my back and Im rolling onto my heels after the catch - but as I dont have a coach or anyone who does olympic lifts in my gym, Im not sure what exactly Im doing wrong or need to work on. There must be lots of obvious flaws to someone who understands the lift. Any advice?
    Video

Cheers.
    Last edited by garjagan; 03-19-2008 at 02:09 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I am by no means an expert on power cleans but at first glance you are cutting your second pull short. Keep shrugging your shoulders up to your ears to get full extension.

I could be wrong, but it kind of looks like you're slightly jerking the bar off the floor. Just make sure you don't bend your elbows until after you jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I am by no means an expert on power cleans but at first glance you are cutting your second pull short. Keep shrugging your shoulders up to your ears to get full extension.
    Yeah I feel like I dont shrug hard enough. It feels like I run out of time to really shrug my shoulders hard, I guess because my timing sucks. Or my shrugs are just weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I could be wrong, but it kind of looks like you're slightly jerking the bar off the floor. Just make sure you don't bend your elbows until after you jump.
    I have tried to address this problem and consciously try to slow the bar until it hits my knee area - but yeah, it does still look a bit fast huh? I've ready an article by an oly lift trainer who got his novice students to pull the bar super slow (about an inch per second) until they got to the explosive part above the knees.

Cheers for the input.

Sort of looks like you are using your arms to pull at the top a bit. And personally, with that low of a weight, I would lose the belt too. Let your core get the work it needs at a tolerable wieght.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Sort of looks like you are using your arms to pull at the top a bit. And personally, with that low of a weight, I would lose the belt too. Let your core get the work it needs at a tolerable wieght.
    It doesnt feel like I'm using my arms much, but maybe you're right. I'ts pretty hard to go off feel with these things. I think you're right, as mentioned above Im not shrugging enough.

And I only had the belt on to see if I could keep my back tighter with it, as I have a tendancy to round off at the bottom. I need to work on flexibility. It's the same with squats, I just seem to round off slightly when I hit depth.