The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Bodybuilders.. critique my DC training please

DoggCrapp Style Routine Please Critique

All exercises slow, controlled negative, explosive positive. Full failure/fatigue is goal of each single but intense working set. As many warm-ups as necessary before each one intense working set.

Workout 1
    POWERLIFTING: A. heavy deadlift work up to 1/3 rep max (2-3 sets) / B. nothing
    BACK THICKNESS: Good Mornings 12-15 reps SS
    BACK WIDTH: pulldowns 15-20 RP (20 second static at end, then stretches for back)
    QUADS: leg press 20-30 reps RP
    CALVES: calve raise 20-30 reps SS but with a 20 second negative phase
    HAMSTRINGS: leg curl 20-30 reps RP (stretches for legs)

Workout 2
    POWERLIFTING: A. nothing / B. heavy bench work up to 1-3 rep max (3 sets)
    CHEST: DB flies 12-20 reps RP and a 30 second static rep at the end (then stretches)
    SHOULDERS: lateral raise 15-20 Drop Set and 30 second static (then stretches)
    TRICEPS: skull crushers 12-20 reps RP (then stretches)
    BICEPS: preacher bench curl 12-20 reps RP and 30 second static
    FOREARMS: reverse curl 12-20 reps SS, forearm curl 15 reps RP
    GRIP: CoC/heavygrips for 12-20 reps SS (then stretches for biceps)

Log everything, when you dont hit a new PR (Defined as same weight + 2reps or same reps + 5lb), shift exercises

High water intake (2 gallons/day)
    A 7pm carb cutoff (or 4-5 hours before you sleep)
    Extreme stretching is key!
    Lifting: Mon 1 / Wed 2 / Fri 1 / Mon 2
    Cardio: Sun / Tue / Thur / Saturday

Diet:
    Cardio days 3000kcal 100 fat 300 carbohydrate 225 protein
    Lifting days 5000kcal 166 fat 500 carbohydrate 375 protein

For the mathematically impaired.. those are 30/40/30 ratios. I plan to regulate cardio length/intensity as necessary to stay lean without sacrificing gains. Cardio will be more cardiovascular shape training (high intensity intervals) rather than traditional fat loss (low-intensity). Im looking to do this for around 6 weeks and put on 10-15 lb of LBM as cleanly as possible (yes, I know some will be water and glycogen, thats why I said LBM and not muscle, for the flamers).

Currently finishing off my cut this week at around 210lb @ 10%. Im looking to get up to 225 @ 12%. Basically, increase LBM from 185-190ish (where I am now) to 200ish as cleanly as possible. After that I will do a 6 week cut into the summer and try to drop into the 6-8% range at 210ish.

Lastly, youre probably asking.. why the powerlifting? Im competing in a deadlift only meet on Apr 26, and my first priority is obviously bodybuilding, but I do want to keep my deadlift strength up so I dont perform like ****.

PS For those of you anxiously awaiting the results of my cut.. I will have new pictures taken on Friday, pumped and water depleted for your enjoyment. I will get them up Friday night.
    Last edited by dxiw; 03-17-2008 at 10:45 PM.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anyone? Hello? lol

not advanced bodybuilder sorry=(
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

I said advanced only because I wanted people that either:
    1) had DC experience to comment
    or
    2) have enough experience with pure bodybuilding oriented routines to provide a useful critique

Banned
    I'm not advanced at all but I was just interested in a few things for my own benefit: (I'm not trying to flame or anything I'm just looking for information)

Why the lat pulldowns instead of chins? Do these work better for you?

Am I reading this properly are you saying that you are doing sets of 12-20 reps? If so why, is it part of your diet scheme or do you have better results than say 8-12 rep range?

Also I didn't see any exercise for the Anterior Deltoid and Posterior deltoid any reason particullary for those muscles or do you feel that the bench press hits the anterior enough as it is? Same thing with squats or are you taking a break form squatting?

Please don't take anything as being negative I'm just interested in your routine.

Just curious: how do you get over 300 grams of protein in a day?

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Just curious: how do you get over 300 grams of protein in a day?

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread)
    Easy you eat 7-8 meals a day at around 40 grams of protein per meal.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

eat a whole cow, just a lil over 300 grams
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

intensemuscle.com

Post there that is dante's forum. You'll get the answers you are looking for.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Ive read up on DC and I can tell you I see two things wrong.

BACK THICKNESS: Good Mornings
    Good mornings are a hamstring and lower back exercise not a back thickness exercise, for DC back thickness means some type of rowing movement, or deadlifts, rack pulls etc..

CHEST: DB flies
    With DC it is designed to get you bigger and stronger so there is not need to work up to a 1-3 rep max than do flies. You just pick one chest movement and rest pause that, stretch and move on.

If you have a meet coming up stick with power lifting then go to DC after your meet.
    Last edited by View 1; 03-18-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Like View 1 said. check out that site DXIW. Read all the stickies there. Start with DC consolidated info and the newbies read first posts in the Doggpound. Just a friendly word of advice, don't post this routine on there. It will get ripped to shreds. Not because it is not good, but because it is not DC. After you read the stickies on the other site you will see what I am talking about. In fact be careful posting at intense muscle at all without being really confident in your knowledge of DC, or you might get some nasty responses. I tried suggesting something on my first post there, and looking back on it, wish I wouldn't have. Thankfully they had patience with me. I mostly just read what everyone else posts there, because as you will see, there is a lot to be learned about DC. I like that you are looking into DC, but also like View 1 said, this might be something to take up after you are done ripping it up at your deadlifting meet like I know you will!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I can post my last blast if you would like to use as a reference, but I am not trained by Dante or anything like that. I just try to read what he writes on the site, so I am in no way an authority on the subject. I just started training DC style after reading some minimal information 2 years ago, winged it for some time, and have adjusted after checking out intense muscle. I am still learning things each day about it.One final note, DC training is not something which is done for 6 weeks or so. If you do decide you are ready for it, it is something you should do year in and year out.
    Last edited by joey54; 03-18-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Just get under the bar!

Mihalik - 12-20 reps is rest-paused. Meaning 8-10 are done to failure, 15 deep breaths, another 4 or so, 15 deep breathes another 2-3 and so on.. so its one big set with 12-20 reps

View 1 - To be honest, I don't really care THAT much about the meet, I just want to do ok. I'm more focused on switching gears to bodybuilding at this point in my life. Would you recommend rack pulls for a SS of 8-12 isntead of the good mornings? Also, I know flies aren't the greatest exercise, but just me in particular I've noticed that I respond phenomenally well to them (my chest just grows like a weed when I do them with bench as opposed to just bench). I stopped doing them for about 4 weeks and actually lost a little bit of pec size. I know this is completely against everything both of us know and would recommend, but for some reason they just work for me.

Joey54 - I agree that I should adopt it whole heartedly. I was only suggesting taking time off for a more strict cut, but I neglected to consider that it can be accomplished by simply increasing cardio. I would definitely appreciate it if you could post your last blast..

Ive read alot about DC but I have not done it ( I feel at this point I am not ready for it but some time in the future I will ) so I would not feel right about recommending rep ranges for any DC exercise. Go to intense muscle and look up the dogg pound forum, they also have a sub forum called the pound puppy forum for new comers to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    deadlift
    Good Mornings
    pulldowns
    leg press
    calve raise
    leg curl

Workout 2
    bench
    DB flies
    lateral raise
    skull crushers
    preacher bench curl
    reverse curl
    CoC/heavygrips
    Ok, this^ is your boiled down routine. the following is a modified version and should yield quicker results.

Deadlift ME/DE
    Squat DE/ME
    OH Press
    Pull ups
    calve raise

Workout 2

Bench ME/DE
    Good Mornings
    Row
    Dips
    Curl

I would keep reps below 8
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-19-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

DXIW, I will get that up for you tomorrow, as it will take some time to post. At the girl's tonight.

Just get under the bar!

Nice, much appreciated...

Zen - I want to incorporate rest-pause style sets into the routine you posted. How about a weight that is 6-8 to initial failure, RP to 10-12?
    Last edited by dxiw; 03-20-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Here is what I did for my last blast. I went for 8 weeks. There are a few exercises I still include which might not be the best for some, but have worked for me.

RP=rest paused
    SS=straight set
    WM=widowmaker(set of 20+ reps to failure, only used for quads)

1A(week 1, Monday). Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back Width, Back Thickness

Incline DB press 20-30 reps RP. It is recommended to have a slightly higher rep range on this exercise than 11-15 because of how much energy it takes to get the dumbbells into place. lower the weight and up the rep range.

Standing Side DB laterals 15-20 reps RP. Not the most optimal exercise for DC, but I have been making good progress in these. Eventually will switch this to a pressing type movement after I plateau.

Close Grip Bench Press 15-20 reps RP

Wide Grip Pulldowns 11-15 Reps RP. I was keeping these close to the high rep range and was actually around 20 reps the first week of this blast.

Bent Over Barbell Rows 6-9 SS, 12-15 SS. I have been doing 2 sets for this, but most people do one SS. Will most likely switch that up for this time coming up.

1B(week 1, Wednesday) Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads

BB Drag Curls 15-20 reps RP

Bilateral DB Hammer Curls 12-20 reps SS

Donkey Calf Raises 10-12 reps SS. Almost all calf exercises are done with a 5 second negative and 10-15 second stretch hold at the bottom of the movement.

Lying Hamstring Curl 20-30 reps RP. Like to keep this in a high rep range too. actually got over 30 my last workout

Close stance Hack squat SS 6-9 reps, WM set.

2A(week 1, Friday) Same muscle groups as 1A

Flat BB bench press 15-20 reps rp. Again, not the most recommended exercise to use with DC because of injury potential. I keep the reps higher because of that. Also, am not using that heavy a weight on this as most.

Upright Rows 15-20p reps rp. Some don't like this exercise because of injury potential. Again keep it higher reps and done in a controlled fashion.

Tricep pushdowns 20-30 reps rp. Another debateable exercise. Might switch to reverse grip bench press in the next blast. Have been gaining good with it though. Keep reps higher to avoid any elbow damage.

Hammer Strength Pulldown 11-15 reps RP

Rack Pulls 6-9 SS, 12-15 SS

2B(week 2, Monday) Same muscle groups as 1B

Spider Curls 15-20 reps RP

Behind the back forearm curls with a BB 12-20 reps SS

Standing Calf Raises 20-30 reps RP. RP these because of how freaking hard it has been to hold the bottom stretch with the weight pushing down on the shoulders. Saw several others do this.

Good Mornings 15-25 reps RP

Leg Press 6-9 SS, WM set

3A(week 2, Wednesday) Same muscle groups as 1A and 2A

Hammer Strength Chest Press 11-20 reps RP. Have been getting higher in this as well. Will likely up the weight and try to get the reps down more to 11-15 range.

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 15-20 reps RP

Skull Crushers on an incline bench 20-30 reps RP

Rack Chins 11-15 reps rp

Seated Row, close grip 6-9 SS, 12-15 SS

3B(week 2, Friday) Same muscle groups as 1B and 2B

Bilateral Incline DB curls 11-20 reps rp

Reverse Grip Curls 12-20 reps SS

Calf Press on leg press machine 10-12 reps SS with the stretch

Stiff Leg Deadlift 15-25 reps SS

Barbell Hack Squat 6-9 reps SS, WM set

I do the extreme stretching as well after each exercise, minus calves. I do cardio and light stretching on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Off on Sunday. I blasted for 8 weeks this time and by the 8th week I woke up each morning like I had just played a football game the day before. Even though I was making gains I felt it was time for a cruise. This week I have avoided the gym. Next week I am going to do some basic lifiting, nothing near failure. Next blast will be the week after that. Some exercises are going to change with this blast. Have to talk with my training partner too to see where he is at. Any other questions specific to my routine or other exercises I have used in previous blasts feel free to ask. For DC related questions though I yield to those at the other site. I don't get too crazy with diet. I try to eat high protein, moderate carbs, and moderate fat. I train at 5 AM so, I eat more carbs the day before weight training. The days I train weights I get High post workout carbs and one carb meal, but then stick to protein and fat, or protein and veggies. Try to get most calories in during the day from whole foods. Keep the shakes/liquid calories to pre/post workout. I take a multi, fish oils, vit c, creatine, glutamine, and protein powder. I try to eat clean on the week, but will treat myself on the weekends. By treating I don't mean eating tasty kakes, but going out to a restaurant like Red Lobster and getting a high calorie meal.
    Last edited by joey54; 03-20-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    1A
    Incline DB press
    Standing Side DB laterals
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Wide Grip Pulldowns
    Bent Over Barbell Rows

1B
    BB Drag Curls
    Bilateral DB Hammer Curls
    Donkey Calf Raises
    Lying Hamstring Curl
    Close stance Hack

2A
    Flat BB bench press
    Upright Rows
    Hammer Strength Pulldown
    Rack Pulls

2B
    Spider Curls
    Behind the back forearm curls with a BB
    Standing Calf Raises
    Good Mornings
    Leg Press

3A
    Hammer Strength Chest Press
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
    Skull Crushers on an incline bench
    Rack Chins
    Seated Row, close grip

3B
    Bilateral Incline DB curls
    Reverse Grip Curls
    Calf Press on leg press machine
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Barbell Hack Squat
    Again, I am not saying people do not make gains on this, just simply there are much more efficient ways to put a routine together. Honestly these look like they were pulled out of a bodybuilding mag.
    There are 5 different types of bicep curls, shall I go on?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-21-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

^^^that routine looks pretty crappy...
    Sarvamangalam!

that's the point. it follows Doggcrapp. so, if it looks crappy good. no one else has to do it, and i am not suggesting any one else do. was posting specifically for dxiw to use as a reference as he checks into DC training. most should not train this way.
    Last edited by joey54; 03-20-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Just get under the bar!

its a bad routine then
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    its a bad routine then
    Why please explain?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Question for Joey54.

I understand the thinking behind the high reps...but did you actually find that you were able to build appreciable strength on this type of routine?

Or were you only concerned with size during this "blast"?

The reason that I ask about strength is that the OP wants to compete in a deadlift meet and keep his deadlift strength.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-20-2008 at 09:33 PM.

ZenMonkey that is fine if you think so. This type of training isn't for you.

Just get under the bar!