Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack Pulls how much ROM

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar

Rack Pulls how much ROM

I matched my deadlift pb of 160kg/352lbs yesterday, but it reminded me that if I'm going to improve I'll need more strength for the lock out so its time to start doing some rack pulls.

What I don't know is at what height I should start the rack pull from?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbytes View Post
    I matched my deadlift pb of 160kg/352lbs yesterday, but it reminded me that if I'm going to improve I'll need more strength for the lock out so its time to start doing some rack pulls.

What I don't know is at what height I should start the rack pull from?
    That depends... Where does your lift start to fail? I'd set the rack 1-2 inches below that point.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Good point, thanks deeder

rack pulls are good, pulls with bands are better. when you pull with bands you're getting the lockout work, but not compromising your form.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

just under the knees, is where i would start. But i would change it around once in awhile.

As stated above, def BELOW the knees.

Semper Fi

I do mine above and below

I like doing mine from either right below the knees or right above the knees, conventional style. Even though I'm a sumo deadlifter I do my rack pulls conventional.

Have you ever done reverse band deadlifts? I prefer them as they allow you to do FULL range of motion.
    Video
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ryan Celli; 03-22-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    That depends... Where does your lift start to fail? I'd set the rack 1-2 inches below that point.
    can't put it much better than that... good advice bro!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I was thinking that the bands are a good idea, then I realised I don't have access to a cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    I like doing mine from either right below the knees or right above the knees, conventional style. Even though I'm a sumo deadlifter I do my rack pulls conventional.

Have you ever done reverse band deadlifts? I prefer them as they allow you to do FULL range of motion.
    Video
    Ryan, great to see you here!

Wbb members, Ryan is yet another very experienced, champion powerlifter who has entered our fold. I am very happy to have him here!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wow! that was an impressive deadlift video!

My rack pull!

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

that was sick Chris!

i agree with ryan.

It depends on where you need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgtGcMv3rc

if you really want to be a fool do them for a 6 inch ROM and a ton of weight!!

just kidding, dont do that, use an inch or so below where you stick
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 03-23-2008 at 01:29 AM.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgtGcMv3rc

if you really want to be a fool do them for a 6 inch ROM and a ton of weight!!

just kidding, dont do that, use an inch or so below where you stick
    Did you notice that the bars on the cage are permanently bent.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    My rack pull!

Video
    Nice pull Chris!!
    Whats your best deadlift off the floor?

Rack pulls... you can do them just under the sticking point for a real benefit or go from jst above the knee and move 750+ pounds to stroke your own ego.

Its what I did
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

If you do them above the knees, you will put yourself in an anatomical position that you will NOT be in during a max effort pull. Reverse band pulls are OK ONCE IN A WHILE....but the groove is certainly different. Remember...the bands DO PROVIDE A CERTAIN amount of stability you will NOT get during a max pull. Reverse bands are certainly not a true test of dl strength and can give you a false sense of security about what you can pull. In other words, if it takes 135 to get the bar to touch with the bands on, you CANNOT deduct 135 from your band pull to get your true max...its really that simple. Racks below the knee will test your guts.....many shy away from them due to fragile egos, give it a shot and if it works stay with it.

Semper Fi

Nice pull Chris!!
    Whats your best deadlift off the floor?
    I've done 675 lbs for a single completely raw (no belt, no suit etc.) with a hook grip. Last Wednesday I got 655 lbs for a double the same way and that was a PR. I am about 214 lbs right now.

Thanks for the compliment!

Chris

I've done 675 lbs for a single completely raw (no belt, no suit etc.) with a hook grip. Last Wednesday I got 655 lbs for a double the same way and that was a PR. I am about 214 lbs right now.

Thanks for the compliment!

Chris
    HOOK GRIP! NIce pull brother.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    If you do them above the knees, you will put yourself in an anatomical position that you will NOT be in during a max effort pull. Reverse band pulls are OK ONCE IN A WHILE....but the groove is certainly different. Remember...the bands DO PROVIDE A CERTAIN amount of stability you will NOT get during a max pull. Reverse bands are certainly not a true test of dl strength and can give you a false sense of security about what you can pull. In other words, if it takes 135 to get the bar to touch with the bands on, you CANNOT deduct 135 from your band pull to get your true max...its really that simple. Racks below the knee will test your guts.....many shy away from them due to fragile egos, give it a shot and if it works stay with it.

Semper Fi
    Brent, I am sure Ryan is using the reverse bands to work his lockout and for a conjugate variation. I assume you agree with using them in that context?

Chris

Brent, I am sure Ryan is using the reverse bands to work his lockout and for a conjugate variation. I assume you agree with using them in that context?

Chris
    CERTAINLY...I wasnt aiming it at Ryan. Ryans a good friend of mine by the way. To build pure lockout strength, Racks below the knee are the way to go in my book. I have seen reverse bands time and time again distort someones view of their true pull, in a negative way. Technically speaking, the BEST lockout excercise is to pull of a 4 or 5 inch piece of wood. Reverse bands have there place for overload etc, but I see many people put too much emphasis on it. In a meet you dont have the benefit of having the bands stabilize the weight. Pulling off a block of wood the bar still flexes and your body is in a truer pulling position, and you must stabilize the weight yourself.

Semper Fi

true

Reverse bands do stabilize the weight. Which can be a good thing every once in a while, to allow you to go heavy when your feeling beat up.

I have been using them every other week for about 1 year now. The other weeks I do bands on the jump stretch platform for speed.

To tell you the truth it's kind of strange, but at the last two meets i've done I've gotten stuck right below the knees, which to me doesn't make any sense. I figure if I was going to get stuck it would be off the floor as the bands are assisting that part of the lift.

I've always liked rack pulls, but never felt they transferred to my sumo dl too much. I do them when my hams are still crushed from squats earlier that week.

Reverse bands do stabilize the weight. Which can be a good thing every once in a while, to allow you to go heavy when your feeling beat up.

I have been using them every other week for about 1 year now. The other weeks I do bands on the jump stretch platform for speed.

To tell you the truth it's kind of strange, but at the last two meets i've done I've gotten stuck right below the knees, which to me doesn't make any sense. I figure if I was going to get stuck it would be off the floor as the bands are assisting that part of the lift.

I've always liked rack pulls, but never felt they transferred to my sumo dl too much. I do them when my hams are still crushed from squats earlier that week.
    Good point brother...I also forgot you were a SUMO puller so conventional bands certainly have their place. Hope your well brother. Hope to see you on here a bunch!

Semper Fi