The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Please Assit me.......if you can

I have a little question that has drove me crazy from Day #1 and still sort of baffels me. Since going to therapy (about 20 sessions so far and much much better) no one is truly understand the way the body works as far as nutrients and cals. Here is my question.

I am 30 years old....so my metabolism is slowing way down, however I am on HRT, so this may play a role. My job is very stressfull, my relationship with my family and girlfriend have become exqualy as bad. Therefore, I use the gym as my escape from reality....my release.....so it's no longer part of my disease where I feel like I need to burn off everything I ate (trust me, its a sick disease thank god it's getting better) i just need to go.......I've been training or doing somthing every single day with no days of absolutel comple rest. Although I do sit all day, so my job is not physcialy stressful, I consider this rest. My sleep stinks. I eat right before bed, which helps me konk out for 5-6 hours, but after my firt piss, i'm up every hour.....sucks.

THe scaries part of all this is I have recently been able to admit my drug abuse. What? yes......I got hooked on oxycontin about a year ago after minor dental surgery and found that at first it cleared my head and I was able to gain weight (FINALLY!!!), but now it's sick......Granted, I have been able to keep it under control and am not like most addicts. I take NEVER more than 2 tabs a day total...period. 1 in the am, 1 post training........just makes me very tired now, but I find I can concentrate better with no pain (mainly lower back and stomach).....I also have had stints with MJ and Bain, both suck, but never ever anything harder than that. No booze, no harsh harsh drugs..just ox bain and mj.....pls hrt.....anyways, why am I saying this, well part of the therapy is to come clean to everyone it'll help me out so thanks for still reading.

Next, my weight. Fully clothed and in the pm, I weigh in at 154lbs.........sure my abs are pretty damn good, but I keep getting weaker and weaker and weaker as my weight drops. My skin looks pale like I'm dying...my face is sunken in, etc. I dont understand this since many dudes are my height and weigh 120lbs, they dont work out, but dont look very bad in the face. I can wrap my hands around my bis, my quads are toothpicks, and the worse part was I was once a machine in college at 240 and solid....now, all I have is a six pack, no strength, etc....so, if that gets blurry, obviously I get depressed because I work so hard on keeping a clean diet, I do no cardio but that shouldnt matter....

NOW, the point of my thread..........why do I have to eat sooooo much more than he average person? I mean look at the diets around you....some dont eat all day save a bagel and coffee, a sandwhich for lunch, and dinner......and I'm eating every 2 hours......about 2800 cals, under 20g of carbs, under 100g of fat and under 250g of protein.....and I'm still skinnhy, frail, weak, feel like piss, etc. But it's much much more than the average and I dont do anything all day....just a high volume workout for 1.5 hours in the pm which I bullshi around a little to (I never did before, but I'm trying to balance life and just get in a good workout now....not concerned with strength I just want the size!.....so can anyone assist me? Jst an explanation.....pm me as I dont want want this to turn out to be another flame post......sorry if I wasted your time, but I'm scared....what would you do? Should I just eat my ass off for 1 week, eat everything, constantly eat....gain a little chub, but will it make me feel better? Sorry.....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"SO, long story short, good-bye and good luck to all. If and when I do hit my goal and find a show I am going to do, I'll be sure to inform everyone and you had better believe, the biggest party you've ever seen will follow, all as a token of my appreciation.

Good Luck bros....may the force............"
    Nick V

come on, give me a chance....Im coming clean, just want some peacefull help......oh yeah....had the test done 1 year ago.....HIV was negative 8 years ago and again 1 year ago same with hep and even a liver biopsy because he was concerned wih my high liver enzymes....all negatives.......cancer? Wouldnt I be dead by now? All those tests I had done where my RBC and WBC were off either eleveated or low, were done......2 years ago.......so, my weight has continue to drop but so has my cals and stress, I would just hope even though Im lethargic as hell, that it would be over by now.....the misery,,,,,,no insigh huh? Anyone know of or been there? Either eating disorder or Oipate use? Please pm me if you have some time....dont want to bombard the board, just need some advice from good buddies...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyk View Post
    Granted, I have been able to keep it under control and am not like most addicts. I take NEVER more than 2 tabs a day total...period.
    You admit you have a problem, but somehow you're different than other addicts? Every addict thinks they aren't as bad as everyone else. Cut the **** and get clean.

Now to answer your actual question:

The people who eat like faries aren't eating enough. They're body stores what little nutrition it receives as fat. If they ate more and did more their body would reward them with a bigger appetite. Those of us blessed/cursed with a fast metabolism have to eat more. Get over it. 2800 is nothing. I'm your size and didn't start gaining until I was eating 3500+

EDIT: You should see a doctor or three if you don't know what is wrong.
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 05-18-2007 at 08:29 AM.

ok ok, I'll help you...

it's spelled a s s i s t

EDIT: and on a more serious note...train for strength and the size will follow (and it's pretty obvious you should eat more and ditch the drugs...preferably not in that order)
    Last edited by KingWilder; 05-18-2007 at 08:40 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

2800 isn't that high. I bulk on that, and I'm a middle-aged woman.

Why are your carbs so low? And what's with the high-volume workout on so little food?

2800 cals/day is probably not going to work if you are trying to gain weight, regardless of your daily activities.
    It's hard for some people to comprehend that if you are not eating enough, you will never gain weight.

Bump your cals up and evaluate any changes.

Just a little confused and I appreciate your assistance.......why do "we" need sooooo many more cals then the coworker in the office down the hall who is taller, weighs more, plays leisure golf, etc.......he/she eats 3 square.......maybe a few pretzels during the day, but I look like a prison camp victim when he/she looks normal........and by the end of the year, he's got a little belly from a couple 2 many donuts, but nothing major.

I do need help and am signing up for NA, but I think I need to detox FIRST.......anyone been addicted, how did you do it? Weening? Switching over to something like nubain or ultram? Or str8 to md's for methadone?

Banned
    You looke like a prison camp victim because you're a drug addict. I weighed 135 and was skinny, not frail. They also don't lead the active lifetsyle we have, nor do they have the same goals.

addict is a pretty harsh word....yes, I am addicted to ox........I take a mere 2 a day compared to a true addict at 5, 10, 20, 30 a day........However you look at it, I am addicted.....but I looked like this when I was just frail and skinny..........

How do you know what he eats? 3 square meals + snacks can be 4000 cals or 2000. Without knowing what he is eating, and how much you can't say anything. Most people lie about what they eat anyways.
    Nick V

Banned
    addict is a pretty harsh word....yes, I am addicted to ox........I take a mere 2 a day compared to a true addict at 5, 10, 20, 30 a day........However you look at it, I am addicted.....but I looked like this when I was just frail and skinny..........
    Addiction defines a behaviour, not a quantity.

jeff, ive followed all your posts in all forums over the last few months. You really have serious things that need to be taken care of.

I understand not being happy with your overall appearance, but i think first things first you need to check yourself into a Detox/Rehab center. Thats the only way you are going to break your oxycontin addiction. They will have therapists there who can help you with all your issues.

You shouldnt worry about training and nitpicking your diet right now. Many have told you that in the past in many different forums.

You have to look at so many aspects of everything. Like for example, the use of nubain after you posted a thread on this in the AAS forum, and you said "i would never use that"

Get help man, please before you really hurt yourself.

Your skin and face looks frail and grayish from the drugs. I have seen many people I went to high school with who used to sniff oc's everyday like it was their job. Some looked sickly a few years down the road from continual use. Some moved on to heroin...some have overdosed.

OC's are no joke. Get help then worry about your physique.

#1 I have an eating disorder....I'm ****ing 150lbs....and 6'1

#2 I have a addiction to pain meds......I'm sooo scared to go to sleep tonight....this morning as soon as I woke, I was sweating myy ass off, then I got really cold, no energy, so I took 1/2 of an ox.....did nothing but give me a tiny buzz......tomorrow, I can sleep in a little, but I'm scared to wake up...even if I have to put a tab by my bed to help me get up...I just need to make it through the weekend and I'm off to rehab.....please guys.....experiences??? Is it because I am so ****ing light? Am I going to die? This is a plea......I just got back from training half assed....had a shake, had 1/2 cp of oats.....now what do I do? Keep eating all night? Will that help? I'll do anhything.....if its pizza whatever...just help!

#2 I have a addiction to pain meds......I'm sooo scared to go to sleep tonight....this morning as soon as I woke, I was sweating myy ass off, then I got really cold, no energy, so I took 1/2 of an ox.....did nothing but give me a tiny buzz......tomorrow, I can sleep in a little, but I'm scared to wake up...even if I have to put a tab by my bed to help me get up...I just need to make it through the weekend and I'm off to rehab.....please guys.....experiences??? Is it because I am so ****ing light? Am I going to die? This is a plea......I just got back from training half assed....had a shake, had 1/2 cp of oats.....now what do I do? Keep eating all night? Will that help? I'll do anhything.....if its pizza whatever...just help!
    Re-hab centers are open 24/7 check yourself in today, right now if you can.

Seriously you need to get off that **** its a weaker form of heroin. I've even been told it's harder to get off then heroin, the early you stop the better. You think your gonna be able to bulk and get big taking a weaker form of heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Re-hab centers are open 24/7 check yourself in today, right now if you can.
    ^^^
    Best advice you'll receive, ever.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Just a little confused and I appreciate your assistance.......why do "we" need sooooo many more cals then the coworker in the office down the hall who is taller, weighs more, plays leisure golf, etc.......he/she eats 3 square.......maybe a few pretzels during the day, but I look like a prison camp victim when he/she looks normal...
    Because she doesn't absense over the details. Beside, a normal person eats far more than what the RDA reports. I cannot believe for the life of me that the average adult (20% bf) eats 2,800 calories a day. I would say at least 3,200 daily, and some days, on Hildays, they probably push 4,000 - 5,000... I know that if you have three square meals a day with a decent portion you are sporting at least 2,800 calories and then if you add in the snacks, soda, etc... You can easily be in the 3,500+ range daily.

Wel ****....I'm backand 100x betterthan before....long story short, went to rehab, stayed there longer than normal (half way house) got a new job, a new shack and moved to Cleveland...let's see, I was 154, benching the bar......yesterday I weighed in at 202, prob. 11% (still abs detail) and benched 225 for 5 sets of 8, couple weeks ago I got 305 which almost made me cry.....training for a show comeback next year (feb?), with a pro and he's kicking my ass.....feels good....still not eating as much during the day, but absolutely gorging post workout.......love it!

Good job man.. just read through this and congrats on going to rehab and getting your ish together... Good luck with your meet goals, and keep us posted.