The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Hello, decided to start a journal here in the vain hope that it will encourage me to eat that bit cleaner and shed a few pounds. I'm 25 been lifting since i was 17 on and off at home, joined my first gym in '98. Initially to supplement my martial arts training, then i was like 8%bf and around 160lbs, and then got really into lifting. Now i am about 240lb and about 14%bf with a 35 inch waist (well could be a tad more since i only ever tested this using formulas) But i do have a two-pac. I definately am not that strong compared to some guys on this board and i am probably bigger than my lifts should have made me. Guess i must be lucky there.

Recently i have been using HST and i am now onto my 2nd weeks of tens. Here is my last workout, performed last Sunday (i should have been down the gym today but i got a lousy cold):
    Machine crunch 1 x 10 @ 75kg
    Squats 1 x 10 @ 100 Kg
    SLDL 1 x 10 @ 57.5Kg (okay not to taxing with these as i hurt my lower back a few years ago in a cycling accident so i figure slowly and safely with these, never taking to failure)
    45 degree leg press 1 x 10 @ 270 Kg
    Flat dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 30Kg
    T bar rows 1 x 10 @ 57.5 Kg
    Machine dips 1 x 10 @ 75 kg
    Close grip pull downs 1 x 10 @ 65 Kg
    Dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 20Kg
    Bent over laterals 1x 10 @ 10 Kg
    Machine press 1 x 10 @ 55 Kg
    Dumbbell shrugs 1 x 10 @ 42.5 Kg
    Alternate curls 1 x 10 @ 15.5 Kg
    Tricep pushdown 1 x 10 @ 55 Kg
    Seated Calf press 1 x 10 @ 40 Kg

As for my diet i take 2 or 3 whey protien shakes a day (prolab pure whey), glutamine daily, creatine post workout. vitamins and glucosamine daily. The rest usually consists of baked potatoes with tuna, turkey or chicken curry with brown rice, eggs in all forms. I try to get 3 feeds of the above food a day but sometimes i end up eating piza or takeaway or some other sh*t for one of my meals. Although recently only about once a week. So i will only post any bad food i eat in the hope it will disourage me, otherewise i get between 200 and 250 grams of protien everyday.

Goal: to get down to about 220 lbs in a couple of months. Any advice greatfully recieved.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Originally posted by jock
    Now i am about 240lb and about 14%bf with a 35 inch waist (well could be a tad more since i only ever tested this using formulas)
    Damn, you're a monster.

HST-specific advice, which is yours to take or leave; just my personal take. I'd say alternate squatting and leg pressing rather than doing both at every session. Also if the 'machine press' and 'DB press' are both overhead presses, I'd drop one, or, again, alternate them. Other than that, looks good to me.

Diet: I'd say eat more frequently. If you're gonna use whey to supplement your protein intake, use it with meals as whey is a very fast acting protein that, when taken alone, is primarily oxidized in the liver rather than making it to your muslces. If you trying to lose weight, I'd start posting your diet and really paying careful attention to what you're eating. Otherwise, I think you'll find it quite difficult to lose weight with consistency.

Anyways, good luck and I like the name of the journal(Although, I don't much care for early Floyd; later stuff is much more to my taste.)

HST-specific advice, which is yours to take or leave; just my personal take. I'd say alternate squatting and leg pressing rather than doing both at every session. Also if the 'machine press' and 'DB press' are both overhead presses, I'd drop one, or, again, alternate them. Other than that, looks good to me.
    Thanks for the advice B&I. As far as my legs go i dont really want them to grow that much more as they are by far my bst bodypart and when i started the 15's i noticed that squats were not really enough and now i find that only after the leg press do my quads begin to feel 'pumped'. But i will probably take your advice. I was thinking of alternating squatting with dead lifts and on dead lift i will leg press press but i wont on squat day. But i will only do this at the begining of the 5's.

. If you're gonna use whey to supplement your protein intake, use it with meals as whey is a very fast acting protein that, when taken alone, is primarily oxidized in the liver rather than making it to your muslces.
    Point taken. If i take in a moderate amount of carbs will this make any difference? Obvioulsy i used to eat more whole food meals but as i am trying to lost weight i though i'd try this. And i am gettting lazy just now revising for my finals its easier to make a shake! A complex carb and whey shake perhaps?

. If you trying to lose weight, I'd start posting your diet and really paying careful attention to what you're eating. Otherwise, I think you'll find it quite difficult to lose weight with consistency
    okay, i will try. But nothing as detailed as your journal B&I!!!!!!

Anyways, good luck and I like the name of the journal(Although, I don't much care for early Floyd; later stuff is much more to my taste.)
    Yeah, some of it can be a tad childish. Can't listen to ummagumma, the first side af atom heart mother or piper......Later as in post 'wall' or post 'darkside'? cheers for the info dude!

Point taken. If i take in a moderate amount of carbs will this make any difference? Obvioulsy i used to eat more whole food meals but as i am trying to lost weight i though i'd try this. And i am gettting lazy just now revising for my finals its easier to make a shake! A complex carb and whey shake perhaps?
    I'd go with eating a little something with some fat and carbs with the shake. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Just know that whey isn't all that great as a replacement for a meal, unless you're consuming it very often(Like every hour or two)

okay, i will try. But nothing as detailed as your journal B&I!!!!!!
    Good. I should probably be medicated for OCD.

Yeah, some of it can be a tad childish. Can't listen to ummagumma, the first side af atom heart mother or piper......Later as in post 'wall' or post 'darkside'? cheers for the info dude!
    'The Wall', 'Animals', "Wish You Were Here", 'The Final Cut', and Waters' 'Amused to Death' are all awesome. Don't care for Floyd without Waters' biting cynicism and asthmatic wheeze.

Take it easy.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-07-2002 at 09:17 PM.

Comments:
    Feeling like sh*t today. Cold has spread to my chest but has eased of in the past few hours. Hope its gone soon, maybe ill be able to train tomorrow. That will mean i have missed out one day of HST so i dont know whether to carry on from where i left or just do the planned workout for tomorow anyway.

Training:
    Nothing in the gym today due to illness. Just went to wing chun class and went through the Siu Lum Tao and a bit of Chi Sau.

Diet:
    Pretty poor today as i have had no appetite at all.
    meal 1-bran flakes
    meal 2-two wholemeal pitas filled with chicken
    meal 3-slice of pizza
    I know, very very bad, but i didnt get up till 3pm. Will grab a shake before bed. Running out of good whey powder (just got some crap emergency stuff left but it tastes like sh*t and doesnt mix too well), and some internet company are mucking me about. I hope they sort it out soon.

Comments:
    Been lazy and should have filled this out on Thursday (9/05/02). Felt better and just continued from where i left off on Sunday.

Training:
    Machine crunch 1 x 10 @ 80kg
    Squats 1 x 10 @ 85 Kg
    SLDL 1 x 10 @ 40Kg
    Flat dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 32.5Kg
    T bar rows 1 x 10 @ 62.5 Kg
    Machine dips 1 x 10 @ 80 kg
    Close grip pull downs 1 x 10 @ 70 Kg
    Dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 22.5Kg
    Bent over laterals 1x 10 @ 12.5 Kg
    Dumbbell shrugs 1 x 10 @ 45 Kg
    Alternate curls 1 x 10 @ 17.5 Kg
    Tricep pushdown 1 x 10 @ 60 Kg
    Seated Calf press 1 x 10 @ 50 Kg

I took B&I's advice and dropped the leg press and machine press this workout. Not too bad but some exrecises were pretty hard. I hope was due to the cold i had otherwise my next workout will be a real killer

Diet:
    Meal 1-sultana bran
    Meal 2-scrambled eggs(4 large) and 1 slice of wholemeal bread
    Meal 3-Half a BLT sandwich and 200g of chicken
    Meal 4-(post workout) 40 grams of whey protein powder, 50 grams of glucose,5 grams of creatine, 10 grams of glutamine.
    Meal 5-Two chicken breasts with brown rice

Only 5 feeds today but i fel asleep early. More sleep is better then more food, right?

Diet looks solid. Might want to try
    www.fitday.com
    You can enter in what you eat and it'll total up your calories, etc. Lot of people seem to find it quite useful(Though I still do all my calculations manually; I'm a freak.)

Oh yeah, and you're right: if you're sleepy, sleep. Don't worry about staying up just so you can fit in all your meals.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-11-2002 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks for the link B&I. Just finished reading your journal. Looking forward to reading about your thoughs on HST and about your new workout.

Comments:
    6th and final workout of 10 reps and all out to failure today which I was quite looking forward to. When i tested my 10RM i didnt actually test them for every exercise i ended up using which means that for some i had to kind of guess, and some that i did test i later figured that if i was going to failure only once a fortnight then i could add a litle more. Therefore, i left out a few exercises as I decided that i had hit my 10RM in the last workout. Very good workout though, thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Training:
    Machine crunch 1 x 10 @ 85kg
    Squats 1 x 10 @ 110 Kg
    Never previously achieved this as i only did 80KG on my test but i figured then i could hit at least 85KG. Had to slow down a bit and really concentrate on form but not too bad here.
    SLDL 1 x 10 @ 75Kg
    A vast increase but I knew i could handle this as i had not been anywhere near my max previoulsy.
    Leg press 1 x 10 @ 280Kg
    This really hurt and i can still feel it now just above my knees. Good ROM even compared to previous workouts.
    Flat dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 35Kg
    Couldn't even press 35KG at the end of last year. Got a spotter just to be safe here but just made it.
    T bar rows 1 x 10 @ 67.5 Kg
    A little bit too much movement on the last 2 reps.
    Machine dips 1 x 10 @ 85 kg
    Close grip pull downs 1 x 10 @ 75 Kg
    Dumbbell press 1 x 10 @ 25Kg
    Again only got 22.5 Kg for 10 reps when i tested but i thought then i could handle more and only just!
    Bent over laterals Dropped from todays workout:even with starting at 2.5KG (dumbells in my gym go up in 2.5KG steps) i knew i couldnt continue for 6 workouts
    Dumbbell shrugs Dropped from todays workout
    Did try the 47.5KG but my head moved more then my shoulders so it doesnt count
    Alternate curls 1 x 10 @ 20 Kg
    Had to cheat on this one by moving a bit on the last few reps
    Tricep pushdown 1 x 10 @ 65 Kg
    Seated Calf press 1 x 10 @ 55 Kg

Diet:
    Meal 1-sultana bran & 30 grams of whey
    Meal 2-(postworkout)50 grams of whey, 50 grams of glucose, 5 grams creatine, 10 grams glutamine
    Meal 3-Baked potato and 150 grams of tuna, bit of grated cheese and third of a bag of salad.
    Snack-Corneto ice cream and 2 fudge brownie biscuits(only 50 cals each)
    Meal 4-200 grams of turkey with rice and nann bread
    Meal 5-150 grams of turkey
    Meal 6-30 grams of whey
    Last edited by jock; 05-11-2002 at 06:39 PM.

Congrats. Looking good, man.

Only suggestion would be to add some milk and something with some fat(If you use skim milk) and some fiber to that last shake, cuz otherwise whey is a poor choice prior to bed. Or better yet, switch meals 5 and 6(Although the above would still apply to whey at any time, other than post-workout.)

BTW, I don't think enough people use the term 'fortnight'. Or is that still a common term in England?

Only suggestion would be to add some milk and something with some fat(If you use skim milk) and some fiber to that last shake, cuz otherwise whey is a poor choice prior to bed
    I usually use semi skimmed milk for protien shakes as my local shop does not sell skimmed! Havent had the shake yet so i will do. Took your comment about whey on board last time-is the fat and carb content of semi skimmed adequate to meet the requirements?

Congrats. Looking good, man
    Cheers. I wouldnt go that far but certainly a lot better than before i started HST-i'm beggining to believe some of the hype i have read. Will post some pictures once i can afford to have them developed (need to finish exams and start working first).
    BTW, I don't think enough people use the term 'fortnight'. Or is that still a common term in England?
    Yup, still common here in old blighty!

I usually use semi skimmed milk for protien shakes as my local shop does not sell skimmed! Havent had the shake yet so i will do. Took your comment about whey on board last time-is the fat and carb content of semi skimmed adequate to meet the requirements?
    As long as you're mixing your whey with milk, you should be fine.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-11-2002 at 06:55 PM.

Still being lazy and not filling this thing in. Well this should have been filled in on Monday-better late than never.

Comments:
    Training and Diet not going too well at the moment as i have 3 final exams starting in about a week. And they all relate to abnormal psychology: exam 1-mental dissorders, a psychosocial perspective;2-Cognitive neuropsychology; and finally 3-counselling and psychotherapy. So my stress levels are slightly high right now. Having no problem finding time for HST workout but i could do with a couple more sessions of cardio which i am not finding the time for right now

Starting the first microcycle of 5reps with todays workout.
    Tested 5RM as follows:
    Machine crunch 100KG
    Squats 125KG
    SLDL 85KG
    45 degree leg press 320KG
    Flat dumbbell press 40Kg
    T bar rows 77.5KG
    Machine dips 100KG
    CLose grip pulldowns 85KG
    Dumbbell press 30KG
    Bent over laterals 15KG
    Machine press 70KG
    Dumbbell shrugs 50KG
    Alternate curls 22.5KG
    Tricep pushdown 75KG
    Seated Calf press 65KG

Training:
    Machine crunch 1 x 5 @ 75KG
    Squats 1 x 5 @ 100KG
    SLDL 1 x 5 @ 60KG
    45 degree leg press 1 x 5 @ 295KG
    Flat dumbbell press 1 x 5 @ 27.5KG
    T bar rows 1 x 5 @ 52.5KG
    Machine dips 1 x 5 @ 75KG
    Close grip pulldowns1 x 5 @ 60KG
    Dumbbell press 1 x 5 @ 17.5KG
    Bent over laterals 1 x 5 @ 2.5KG
    Machine press 1x 5 @ 45KG
    Dumbbell shrugs 1 x 5 @ 37.5KG
    Alternate curls 1 x 5 @ 10KG
    Tricep pushdown 1 x 5 @ 50KG
    Seated Calf press 1 x 5 @ 40KG

Workout was pretty good. Performed warm up sets for most exercises just to get more of a feeling for having worked out as this was not too taxing at all, and i have read that other people didnt enjoy the 5's that much. Although it did give me a chance to concentrate on keeping the strictest of form and to concentrate on each target muscle groups.

Diet:
    Havent been keeping track as i just eat then study then eat and study in an endless circle. Hard enough at the moment to find enough time to eat. Although i did get some comlpex carb/protien powder which contains 25 g carbs 20 g protien and 4 g of fat per serving, just to ensure i dont miss a feed - even if isnt ideal it's better than nothing.