The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bill Starr questions

I've been using homemade routine for about 6 months now so I wanted to give Bill Starr's a try (Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version)

I plugged my numbers in and this is what my routine looks like:
    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/615/billstarrty8.jpg

Is that what it should look like or am I missing anything?
    I just have a few questions that I couldn't find so I hope you guys don't mind.

Q#1
    It seems like there are big jumps from one set to another set, first starting at low weights then working myself up. It looks like the last set of 5, is what needs effort and other previous 4 sets look like simple warm up. It it supposed to be like this to prevent overtraining?

Q#2
    Let's say I get stuck on week 4 for monday's bench, do I go back to the previous week and work myself up again? Howis that going to affect friday's bench since it calls for increasing my top set of 5 from monday's by 2.5% and go for 1x3. Do I use last week's number for that too?

Q#3
    Are assistance exercises optional? If not, how should they be performed in terms of weights. Do I keep numbers the same throughout the whole sets?
    If I don't have access to weighted dips, can it be substituted with close grip bench press?

Q#4
    I would like to add pull ups to the routine, is it possible?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MPB; 03-18-2008 at 07:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    Q#1
    It seems like there are big jumps from one set to another set, first starting at low weights then working myself up. It looks like the last set of 5, is what needs effort and other previous 4 sets look like simple warm up. It it supposed to be like this to prevent overtraining?
    I believe the weights start low the first 4 weeks or so to prevent immediate burnout. The reason the last set seems like a struggle is that the goal is to increase the 5-rep max in that exercise as opposed to the 5-set, 5-rep max.

Q#2
    Let's say I get stuck on week 4 for monday's bench, do I go back to the previous week and work myself up again? Howis that going to affect friday's bench since it calls for increasing my top set of 5 from monday's by 2.5% and go for 1x3. Do I use last week's number for that too?
    I could be wrong, but you are not suppose to increase percentages until you hit the 5-rep goal for the week.

Q#3
    Are assistance exercises optional? If not, how should they be performed in terms of weights. Do I keep numbers the same throughout the whole sets?
    If I don't have access to weighted dips, can it be substituted with close grip bench press?
    The assistance exercises should be viewed as so. If you feel they should be increased then increase them. I would keep the weight the same for all sets. I am not sure of substituting cg bench for weighted dips as you are already doing a benching movement in the workout.

Q#4
    I would like to add pull ups to the routine, is it possible?
    I would add pull ups to day 2 as the only other assistance exercise is sit-ups. However, others may disagree and not modify the routine.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the routine!

Yea that helped, thanks a lot.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be a good substitue for weighted dips. I've thought about bench dips but loading/unloading plates on my legs seems too much of a hassle.

I would tend to not tamper with the program, but if I did it again I would add pullups to day 2.

I have another question (my last one, I promise!)

I thought I was supposed to go for a pr +5 lb every week.

Monday's week 8 and week 9 (bench press) for example, I'm supposed to try to get 287, and 294 for 5 reps.

Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems like I'm going for a pr +6~7 lb every week on bench press, so I'm not sure how I should round them up to the nearest number. Trying to set a new pr +10 lb higher than a week before seems highly unlikely.

Smaller incrementsi if possible.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I'm thinking if I should just take out the dips since I only have access to cgbp.

One site tells me that if I don't have parallel dip bars, it's okay to drop the dips so I might just do that.