Thread: Macros while Bulking vs Cutting

Hybrid View

Macros while Bulking vs Cutting

Any one have a good idea what percent of your diet each of your macros should be while bulking and while cutting? From what I've read it seems like you'd keep your carbs lower while cutting but I haven't been able to find a good list of percentages. I just started tracking my meals and wanted to see if I need to adjust anything.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

It seems lately that people are moving away from percentages and are more focused on grams/bodyweight. The *standard* answer seems to be ~1g protein/pound that you weigh with ~.5g fat/pound and carbs filling in the rest. No one on this site seems to recommend how much carbs to take in.

The protein number might be a bit high, but there isn't a huge disadvantage to having too much protein as long as you are still getting enough carbs/fat. While if you were short on protein you will be shooting yourself in the foot.

Some people would argue that even higher protein intake is necessary. However they might be benefitting more from the extra calories than they are from the protein itself and so they'd be better off swapping out some of the protein in their diet for extra carbs.

I usually see a gram per pound lean mass for the protein minimum, and half a gram per pound lean mass for the fat minimum.

This keeps things from getting silly when you're dealing with the obese - although to be fair, I like my protein almost double this recommendation - at least 1.5g/lb lean mass - and my fats around 0.7g/lb lean mass.

If you go low-ish on the carbs in your setup - for many of us, an approach we use while cutting - focus most of what little you get around the time when you lift. Keep protein and fat up as much as you can when cutting. The protein will help protect lean mass, and the fats help with satiety. When bulking, this is less of a problem since you're not fighting muscle loss. As long as your minimums are hit for protein and fat, you can fill the rest of your calories from fat and or carb if you simply don't want (or can't afford) to eat more of your calories from protein.