The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Another US Navy SEAL to receive MOH

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/0...fhonor_031708/

2nd Navy SEAL to earn Medal of Honor in 6 months. These guys are bringing such pride to their community. Reading the pre write up is almost hard to even comprehend. RIP warrior.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The story isn't coming up.

For anybody that for one second doubts the enormous amount of heart these operators have, read "The Lone Survivor". Quite possibly the best book I've ever read. These are the type of people that one could only hope to be associated with.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

hmm i dont know why dude. his names Michael Monsoor. These guys never cease to amaze me. And Lone Survivor was an amazing story.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
    hmm i dont know why dude. his names Michael Monsoor.
    They've got a thread about it over at Socnet. I was about to read it over there.

haha that where i got it at. im a member over there. nickb

SEAL to receive Medal of Honor for Iraq heroism

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Mar 17, 2008 14:53:40 EDT

SAN DIEGO — A California-based SEAL who threw his body on a grenade to save his comrades in Iraq will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor, a Defense Department official has confirmed.

Master-at-Arms 2nd Class (SEAL) Michael A. Monsoor, of Garden Grove, Calif., was holed up on the roof of a Ramadi house with three other SEALs on Sept. 29, 2006, when an insurgent grenade landed nearby.

Monsoor, a 25-year old with SEAL Team 3, grabbed the grenade and clutched it to his chest. The blast killed him, but his actions, officials said at the time, saved the men on the rooftop.

Monsoor will be the second member of the Navy to receive the Medal of Honor since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began, and the first sailor to receive it for combat in Iraq.

Michael Fumento, who’s written about Monsoor and combat operations in Ramadi, reported on his Internet blog over the weekend that Monsoor’s family would receive the posthumous award on the fallen SEAL’s behalf during a White House ceremony April 8.

A Defense Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the award had been approved.

“We understand the decision has been made to give that award,” the official said Monday. However, it’s not clear when the medal would be presented by President Bush, as is tradition, and the White House hasn’t yet made any announcement.

“[The date is] very likely to change,” the Pentagon official said.

A spokeswoman at the Navy Office of Information referred questions to the White House. A call to the White House press office was not immediately returned.

Monsoor, a platoon machine gunner, had received the Silver Star, the third-highest award for combat valor, for his actions pulling a wounded SEAL to safety during a May 9, 2006, firefight in Ramadi.

The Medal of Honor would be the second awarded to a Navy SEAL since 2001.

Last year, the family of the late Lt. Michael P. Murphy, a SEAL officer from Long Island, N.Y., received the medal during an Oct. 22 White House ceremony. Murphy was killed June 28, 2005, along with two other teammates, in Afghanistan’s Hindu Kush mountains when their four-man team battled a larger force of Taliban fighters. Eight other Navy SEALs and eight special operations soldiers with a quick-reaction force died when their MH-47 Chinook helicopter was shot down.

Murphy is the only service member so far awarded the Medal of Honor for combat operations in Afghanistan.

Only two other Medals of Honor have been awarded, so far, and both posthumously for combat heroics during military operations in Iraq.

The first was Army Sergeant 1st Class Paul R. Smith, who died during an April 4, 2003, firefight with insurgent fighters near Baghdad International Airport. Smith was noted for his bravery and quick actions to organize a hasty defense and counter attack during which he fired anti-tank weapons, tossed hand grenades, mounted an armored personnel carrier to fire its .50-caliber machine gun and evacuate three wounded soldiers before he was felled by enemy fire. Officials credited him with killing as many as 50 enemy forces.

Monsoor’s actions closely parallel that of Marine Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, a machine gunner from Scio, N.Y., the second service member to receive the medal for combat actions in Iraq.

Dunham, 22, took his Kevlar helmet and muffled a grenade dropped by an insurgent fighting with him and his fire team in a house near Husaybah on April 14, 2004. He died a week later, April 22, at National Naval Medical Center Bethesda, Md. His family received the medal during a Jan. 11, 2007, ceremony at the White House.

Tribute to US Navy SEAL Mikey Monsoor

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
    haha that where i got it at. im a member over there. nickb
    Same here Nick. I'm Chubs over there.

he made it through BUD/s on his second attempt.

RIP Michael. You're a hell of a guy.

I'm going to sit back and wait for Anelka to come in here.

if he does id appreciate it if a mod could lock the thread.

Don't think the mods shoud lock the thread. Just ban everybody who is a douche.

Too few men like him in todays world, he gave his life for friends. I'd be proud to say I knew someone like that. Thanks for the story.

I don't think discussion should be censored by locking / banning, just done somewhere else, like in another thread. There are two different subjects, and this one is about someone courageous enough to give their life up so his friends could live.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 03-19-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I'm going to sit back and wait for Anelka to come in here.
    Was thinking the same thing.

I have heard the guy from Lone Survivor on the radio a few times and it is just an amazing story to listen to him describe it. I am going out today to get the book, thanks for reminding me about it.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    Tribute brought my to tears. I salute you. His a better man than me

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I have heard the guy from Lone Survivor on the radio a few times and it is just an amazing story to listen to him describe it. I am going out today to get the book, thanks for reminding me about it.

You won't regret that purchase at all.

The other man who got this medal should be nicknamed Rambo. Took out 50 guys with a .50 cal and saved 3 men....
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa Kurt View Post
    The other man who got this medal should be nicknamed Rambo. Took out 50 guys with a .50 cal and saved 3 men....
    Who are you referring to? Lt Murphy? Because he got the Medal of Honor for calling for back up under a great amount of fire, to attempt to save his 3 teamates, of whom one lived. Then wrote the book The Lone Survivor. Before him the last MOH was Cpl Jason Dunham, USMC who like SO2 Monsoor took a grenade. And the first in the Global War on Terror was a senior enlisted Army soldier, cant recall how he earned his. Im not questioning id just wasnt aware of any other GWAT MOH's

He's talking about Sgt 1st Class Smith who is mentioned in the above article.

Wannabebig Member so_calmaxwell's Avatar
    Truly an american hero who should deserves a MOH without question. Michael Monsoor was dedicated to his brothers and payed the ultimate sacrifice saving everyone else. I am honored live free in a country that he served and payed his life for.
    I'm curently in the early stages of reading Marcus's Book. Seals amaze me. They are always known for there impeccable physical fitness, so often refered to on boards like these. However, the level of mental strengh, to me, is what sets them apart. I myself am in college and plan on joining the navy with a seal contract within the next 2 years after I graduate.

Everyday night I run, I look over at the neon blue lights on coranado over the dark water..........sense pride is the best way to describe it. . . I just love my country.

These are good american men.
    Last edited by so_calmaxwell; 03-19-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by so_calmaxwell View Post
    Truly an american hero who should deserves a MOH without question. Michael Monsoor was dedicated to his brothers and payed the ultimate sacrifice saving everyone else. I am honored live free in a country that he served and payed his life for.
    I'm curently in the early stages of reading Marcus's Book. Seals amaze me. They are always known for there impeccable physical fitness, so often refered to on boards like these. However, the level of mental strengh, to me, is what sets them apart. I myself am in college and plan on joining the navy with a seal contract within the next 2 years after I graduate.

Everyday night I run, I look over at the neon blue lights on coranado over the dark water..........sense pride is the best way to describe it. . . I just love my country.

These are good american men.

I really don't want to turn this thread away, but if you're truly considering joining the SEALs, you need to work on your attention to detail. There is a lot more to becoming a professional than just physical and mental toughness. Like I said, I don't want to run this thread off course but felt that I needed to pass along the information I've seen presented to other hopefuls.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    I really don't want to turn this thread away, but if you're truly considering joining the SEALs, you need to work on your attention to detail. There is a lot more to becoming a professional than just physical and mental toughness. Like I said, I don't want to run this thread off course but felt that I needed to pass along the information I've seen presented to other hopefuls.
    Someones gotta do it though right.

This man was a hero. Nothing less
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I'm surprised none of the usual trolls have shown up.