Thread: Advice for a novice

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Advice for a novice

Hello everyone. I have been lifting periodically since I was 21. On the eve of my 27th birthday I have rejoined the gym about two months ago and am finally ready to commit myself.

I have never had any training. I am currently 6-2 240 lbs and am slimming down while also trying to add muscle. Here is my normal day at the gym:

Each day I do 35-40 minutes of cardio, as well as 20 minutes of core/ab/oblique exercises.

Day 1- Back
    Day 2- Chest
    Day 3- Arms
    Day 4- Legs/SHoulders

I have read up on this. Some say this is a good way to start, but from what i've read here it isn't. What would be a good way for me to begin to add muscle (i've always had a particularly hard time with bulking up my chest). I have been interested in protein shakes and powder to make my own shakes twice a day, but it seems very confusing and i'm not sure where to start.

Thanks for anything you might be able to help me with. Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere.

Wannabebig Member
    Also, I'm wondering how many calories I should be eating if i'm trying to gain mass but also lose fat/inches at the same time. I'm a big guy, and usually eat around 2500-3000 calories a day. Would adding some whey/creatine shakes with water be a good idea in this situation?

well, no it isn't very good... if you want to workout 4 times a week, its more time efficient to do:

1 upper body
    2 lower body
    3 off or maybe light cardio
    4 upper body
    5 lower body
    6 off/cardio
    7 off/cardio

you probably don't need to do 20 minutes of ab stuff, crunches and such don't reduce fat on your stomach

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for your suggestion. So I should be working each group twice a week instead of once weekly?

I'll start that next week perhaps. I feel like I am at a weird crossroads, where I am trying to lose "weight", but gain muscle mass. Can the two be done in conjunction if I need to eat more calories in order to gain muscle?

Wannabebig Member
    It's pretty much impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. To gain muscle you need a calorie surplus, to lose fat you need a calorie deficit.

I recommend focusing on building muscle first, then losing your fat when you're happy with the amount of muscle you have.