The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

need some advice on gaining mass

I will attach 3 pictures that span a 6 month time frame. Seems to me that I have gained no size (and really no change at all) over the last 6 months. I have bumped up my calories considerably and changed my routine. I have also cut down the amount of conditioning that i do. Adding some size is my main goal however I want to keep body fat down as low as possible ( I know that it will increase some when adding mass). I believe I am at about 10.6% in those pic's. As far as supplements I am taking ALN ETS, Creatine, and Protein. Thanks for any advice.

The pics are dated
    2-29-08.JPG

5-23-07.JPG

8-17-07.JPG

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Eat More !!!!
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

Eat.

How many calories are you eating these days?
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

Eat more.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

I am probably averaging about 2,800 calories a day (still slowly adding to that) with about 180 g. of that being protein.

I'm significantly larger than you, so that may come into play, but according to Fitday I burn 3400 calories just sitting on my ass in the office. 2800 is pretty low. Try bumping up by 500 a day and see how that goes.

I'd track your diet, and tweak up the calories and see how things, if you want to gain that size quick a bit of fat is going to come along with that, but with a fast metabolism like yours I wouldn't even care about that, I would just focus on eating a lot of quality food, spending minimal time lifting, that means just creating a routine around the basics and less of the isolation work.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

Quote Originally Posted by BCorn View Post
    I am probably averaging about 2,800 calories a day (still slowly adding to that) with about 180 g. of that being protein.
    u need to eat about 3500 calories per day, im almost exaclty ur weight, and i barely put on lbs eating 3500 calories per day....EAT MORE
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

would ya'll recomend cutting out or limiting conditioning?

would ya'll recomend cutting out or limiting conditioning?
    Hey man, long time no see. I wouldn't cut out the conditioning if I were you. I stopped doing any kind of conditioning for several years, and I really regret it. The only time I would consider cutting it out is if you are having trouble eating enough to gain.

I weigh as much as you with probably with less muscle mass and I eat 3400 calories a day right now. If you aren't gaining weight, just eat more.

I will go against bjohnso here and say, yes, cut out the cardio, if you're really serious about gaining. You can always save cardio for cutting.

doing cardio (1-2 times a week) during a bulk helps with recovery, and strength and mass gains.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    doing cardio (1-2 times a week) during a bulk helps with recovery, and strength and mass gains.
    Is this actually true? I guess on cardio days you need even more calories to compensate for burned calories?

Quote Originally Posted by dougyp View Post
    I will go against bjohnso here and say, yes, cut out the cardio, if you're really serious about gaining. You can always save cardio for cutting.
    He's only eating 2,800Cals a day. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I personally wouldn't cut out the cardio until the eating became painful (like 5,000 Cal painful).

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    He's only eating 2,800Cals a day. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I personally wouldn't cut out the cardio until the eating became painful (like 5,000 Cal painful).

5000 is painful?... hmmm

yeah dude, eat more damn... jeez, pretty obvious.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 03-17-2008 at 09:39 PM.

"yeah dude, eat more damn... jeez, pretty obvious."

thanks for the reply HB (and all others). I apologize for asking a question that seemed to have such an obvious answer. I assumed that was the answer, I guess I was just looking for affirmation and wanting sort of a review from others. I seems easier for me to give advice to others than it is to help my self sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    5000 is painful?... hmmm

yeah dude, eat more damn... jeez, pretty obvious.
    Maybe not painful. "Time consuming," definitely.

In reference to your bodyfat, you have a very cut 6/8 pack. I seriously doubt you are 10.6%. I'd say your more along the lines of 7-8%. Especially considering the fact that you are on creatine (which holds water) and that you aren't water depleted in those pictures. I have a friend who is around 6.5% naturally (extreme ectomorph and division 1 rower) and he is only slightly more cut than you.
    Last edited by dxiw; 03-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

thanks dxiw........i like the six pack but what good is it if your a scrawney motha like me!!!!! shirt is on 99% of the time and nobody could even tell i have been busting it in the gym for many years. thanks for the comment though.....that would be cool if your are correct.....i never would have thought my bf% was that low.

I'd say most of the guys here saying "eat" are definitely right. I was a hardgainer for quite a while then i realized i wasn't eating close to enough. Now i'm vacuuming up close to 4k calories a day and i've actually hit 200lbs from about 155. which i thought would never ever happen. so "eat" is a good mantra!

"yeah dude, eat more damn... jeez, pretty obvious."

thanks for the reply HB (and all others). I apologize for asking a question that seemed to have such an obvious answer. I assumed that was the answer, I guess I was just looking for affirmation and wanting sort of a review from others. I seems easier for me to give advice to others than it is to help my self sometimes.
    eh, no need to apologize,
    I didn't mean to come across like that. It's just that I get questions all the time about putting on mass and the answer is: your body cannot make something out of nothing.
    There's a reason most people find the need to bulk AND THEN cut to realize the physique they desire. Unless you are a diet expert and are able to monitor your intake meticulously, it's virtually impossible to gain lean mass while losing fat through attrition.
    Unless you start off overweight it just doesn't happen unless you provide the raw materials by eating.

...i like the six pack but what good is it if your a scrawney motha like me!!!!! shirt is on 99% of the time...
    Solution

Take scissors and cut out the abdominal area in all your shirts and let that 6 pack get the recognition it deserves

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T FLEX View Post
    Solution

Take scissors and cut out the abdominal area in all your shirts and let that 6 pack get the recognition it deserves
    May I please do the rimshot?