The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Anybody do negatives?

I've been doing the wbb 1 for 15+ weeks now. I was about 130 when I started and I'm about 130 still. I'm more toned, but I'm getting nowhere with size. I know the zeitgeist here is "if you eat more, it will come" but I don't have it in me to just up and double my food intake. I've added high carb/protein drinks after workouts since starting wbb but I'd only consider the results to be maintenance rather than gains.

I'm hearing guys say that they were stuck at 150 lbs forever and then started doing negatives and now they're at 230 lbs. I don't have all the info on other variables like a change in diet, etc., but they didn't seem to think that it was a major thing. What I've read about negatives is that you NEED a spotter to do it. So does this mean I need a spotter for every single exercise I do? I don't really see people getting spotted for rows, curls, kickbacks, etc. They spot on bench press all day, but I'm not seeing it anywhere else really.

From what I hear about negatives, it's completely different than what I'm used to. For example, I don't want to spend a chest day doing bench press negatives and then go home. But to do negatives, you have to do the exercise quite a bit. Where does that leave room for the other things I'm doing in wbb? Do I really need a spotter to do calves? Wtf? Or should negatives only be done on certain muscle group exercises?

I'm half inclined to think that techniques are relative. WBB and eating a lot works for the majority of people here so they CAN swear by it. Negatives work for other people, and I'd bet that if there is a forum who subscribes to negatives, it will be filled with a bunch of guys who swear by that. This goes for any type of workout.

Is it all actually just a matter of finding out what type works for you? There really is no universal regiment?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You need to research more on negative training.
    Eating to get bigger is universal. I.E. you have to eat more to get bigger.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-19-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

The way you train only effects your strength. The way you eat effects your size. If you say you "don't have it in you to up and double your intake" then maybe you don't want it bad enough. Getting huge isn't easy. Take it from me, I used to be that same way. Now I eat until I wanna puke non stop all day. Then I eat more and then go to the gym. Doesn't happen over night and it doesn't happen without hard work.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    I find it interesting that anytime I hear about people getting bigger, it's common knowledge that work out with weights and what not. That is always the fact that is bolded and highlighted. I never hear about "oh by the way, I dramatically increased the amount of food i was eating at the time." I guess everybody forgets to leave that detail out.

Adding about 1000 calories has done absolutely nothing at all. If I have to force feed myself enough to satisfy a horse, I think I might be more inclined to just stick with what I have. It didn't occur to me that becoming a glutton was the secret ingredient to growing muscle (even just a little more).

It seems like there is a threshold I'm not hitting like it doesn't count until you surpass x amount of calories. I'd even be happy just gaining about 20 lbs and working out, but my point is that even after adding food and drink, I've gained absolutely no weight and size with that variable. So saying "eat more" doesn't really compute. Is there anything special about the way you eat?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Now I eat until I wanna puke non stop all day.
    Why isn't this common knowledge? I would think the stereotype that has been created for weightlifters (random greased up guys lifting weights while wearing tight clothes in gym with an attitude problem) would have at some point included this huge diet. I guess that's because the stereotype is created by people on the outside and this is how they see bodybuilders... without the entire struggle.

Not any of the random people I've talked to have ever thought to mention this. It's obviously very important.
    Last edited by mirk; 03-19-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mirk View Post
    I find it interesting that anytime I hear about people getting bigger, it's common knowledge that work out with weights and what not. That is always the fact that is bolded and highlighted. I never hear about "oh by the way, I dramatically increased the amount of food i was eating at the time." I guess everybody forgets to leave that detail out.

Adding about 1000 calories has done absolutely nothing at all. If I have to force feed myself enough to satisfy a horse, I think I might be more inclined to just stick with what I have. It didn't occur to me that becoming a glutton was the secret ingredient to growing muscle (even just a little more).

It seems like there is a threshold I'm not hitting like it doesn't count until you surpass x amount of calories. I'd even be happy just gaining about 20 lbs and working out, but my point is that even after adding food and drink, I've gained absolutely no weight and size with that variable. So saying "eat more" doesn't really compute. Is there anything special about the way you eat?
    If you aren't gaining weight you need to eat more. It's that simple. Simple science says that mass is always conserved. Your body cannot magically produce mass out of thin air. It's not always easy gaining weight. The way you work out has nothing to do with how much weight you gain.

Always learning
    You say you added 1000 calories, but how do you know that is enough? I have to eat 3500-4200 calories, around 360 carbs, 180 fat, and 180 protein, a day to gain weight. That's grams.

I drink a lot of chocolcate milk and meal replacement drinks to get the calories up in my required range. I could never eat enough healthy food to make it 4000 a day.
    Last edited by LilHillbilly; 03-19-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    So why do I get 0% mass gains after increasing intake by 65%? I was getting about 1500 calories per day, and then I made myself do about 2300.

Is it possible that progress can be lost if you dip below normal? What if I miss meals one day and drop back to 1500 for 1 or 2 days? Did I just throw progress away? Maybe that's the air in the tire that people are not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    You need to research more on negative training.
    Eating to get bigger is universal. I.E. you have to eat more to get bigger.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Always learning
    So why do I get 0% mass gains after increasing intake by 65%? I was getting about 1500 calories per day, and then I made myself do about 2300.
    That's your problem. YOU'RE NOT EATING ENOUGH. I would burn 2300 calories just sitting around all day. In fact I did when I weighed 110 lbs two years ago.

It is hard to eat enough healthy food to get your daily calories above what how many you burn. I added a 1400 calorie shake to help me get there. You just have to sit down and chow down. Calories in > Calories out = Weight gain. If you're not gaining, eat more.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

then leave or shut up. no one wants to hear about how you can't gain weight because everyone has either that problem or they can't lose weight to some degree. what do you say to someone who is obese and wants to lose weight but bitches about how eating less doesn't work?
    Sarvamangalam!

Is it possible that progress can be lost if you dip below normal? What if I miss meals one day and drop back to 1500 for 1 or 2 days? Did I just throw progress away? Maybe that's the air in the tire that people are not aware of.
    2300 calories is NOTHING. Keep bumping it up by 500 until you start gaining.

Eating more is really what it takes. Have a search on the forums for recipies for shakes if your struggling. They won't fill you up like solid stuff but will get you the calories.
    Last edited by MJay; 03-19-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Always learning
    Take my word for it, because I was 110 pounds before I started lifting weight. When I first started, I made very few gains because I didn't eat enough. It was not until last year that I hit 130 lbs due to eating 3000 calories a day. Once I hit around 125-130 lbs I had to increase my intake to close to 4000 calories a day to continue to make gains.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    then leave or shut up. no one wants to hear about how you can't gain weight because everyone has either that problem or they can't lose weight to some degree. what do you say to someone who is obese and wants to lose weight but bitches about how eating less doesn't work?
    You see how I'm asking questions and looking for more specific information, right? Way to be an ******* (rhymes with grassmole) an pull the "shutup or leave" card. (please don't have the ablility to find out where I live)

As for those who have supplied data about your experience, I do appreciate it.
    Last edited by mirk; 03-19-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Always learning
    The're getting annoyed because you are not listening, only trying to refute their input.

get a jar of peanut butter....eat it with everything... i bet u 10 bux ull get bigger

haha i guess everyone forgot about the negatives

Wannabebig Member
    Well I guess it wouldn't kill me to start having breakfast everyday. Maybe skipping that opportunity every single day isn't helping. Let's just forget about the whole thing.

Wants to be big
    Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, missing that is a problem in itself, remember your body is without food the longest length of time when you sleep and it should be replenished ASAP.

"A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything."

Always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Neural View Post
    Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, missing that is a problem in itself, remember your body is without food the longest length of time when you sleep and it should be replenished ASAP.

"A wise man never knows all, only fools know everything."

If I don't eat right before I go to bed I feel like i'm starvin when I wake up

Mirk, your problem is your not committed. Gaining weight takes commitment and diligence, not just in the gym but in your diet, too. You seem do be a little uneducated on what exactly it takes to make your muscles grow. Work + Food + Rest = Muscle. It really is that simple. When I'm bulking, I'm taking in 3500 calories a day, at LEAST (and I'm not a big guy). If I don't, I feel guilty, like I've somehow cheated myself. This is the mentality you must have, otherwise you're stuck with what you got. It becomes a habit, and once you see yourself changing your desire will increase. Grab your balls and put in the work. BTW, it doesn't mean turning into a glutton if you up your calories. You can still eat healthy foods to reach your goal if you're willing to get the recommended three shakes a day. I use Cytogainer, it's worked wonders for me. Also, fish is one of the best sources of protein and it is also super healthy for you and something most people lack in their diet. Natural peanut butter is loaded with healthy fats that your brain and heart crave. It's almost a guarantee that by increasing your carb intake (in the form of real food, bran, oatmeal, fruits) you consequently increase you fiber which is probably the most important thing for your overall health. I'll stop here.

Weigh yourself once a week and set the goal of having the scale read one extra pound each week. If you weigh in and don't hit your number eat food and drink milk/juice until you hit the number but make sure that you hit that new number each week.

In ten weeks you will weigh ten pounds more than today.

Well I guess it wouldn't kill me to start having breakfast everyday

that would probably help...

are you eating right now while you type? I am. And that's why I'm bigger than you.

go grab a sandwich, come back, and then reply.
    Last edited by nhlfan; 03-19-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"