Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy sets first

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.

Heavy sets first

Notes: K, today I'm putting into full effect the concept of doing the heaviest set as my first working set. Today I'm doing back/bi's. I'm leaving now, at 4:15. This should prove interesting

Red denotes a new personal record.
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:04 PM.

read your pm box accipiter

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    March 18, 2002 Back and Biceps

Notes: OK, took about 50 minutes, gym was crowded, would've been quicker if gym wasn't so crowded. On the deadlifts My grip slipped on the last two sets. Could've done 2 more on the 250 set, maybe 1 more on the last set. I'm a bit confused as to whether or not my pullups are any different, last time I went 12.5*8 on first set, 2nd set was 15*6...I'm not sure which is better.

Back:
    pullups: 15*8 12.5*6
    Deadlifts: 270*7 260*5 250*7
    DB Rows: 85*8 75*9

Biceps:
    DB Curls: 52.5*4 45*6
    Inc. DB Curls: 32.5*5 30*7
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:09 PM.

Additionally, I am going to drop my weight on the DB rows on the first set, down to 80 from 85. At 85, I didn't feel I was locking out at the top of the row,not getting a good pump, and my form wasn't 100% like I enjoy it being.

^ is a horny teenager.
    i do 6 sets, three different workout on every muscle, but major muscles(pecs, back, abs) i do 8 sets 3 different lifts. for every pair i do first set 6-10 failuer, second set 4-6 failure. works great for me, getting awesome gains

hmmmmm interesting idea...

March 22, 2002 Chest and Triceps

Notes: Another good workout doing the heaviest set first.

Chest:
    DB Bench: 85*3 80*5 70*7
    DB Decline: 70*7 75*4
    Cable Cross: 7*11 8*7

Triceps:
    Skulls: 85*13 90*11
    1 Arm Underhand Extensions: 5*7 6*4
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:10 PM.

March 25, 2002 Back and Biceps

Notes: I initially tried to press the 85's today and couldn't get a single rep. out. I was feeling bad..then I remembered I just worked chest+tri's on friday...I thought it was tuesday..oops. For some reason I can Go tuesday, then friday..with just two off days in between, but I need 3 days off after that friday workout for chest. Anyway, I hope trying to put up the 85's doesn't hurt my efforts tomorrow.

Back:
    Pullups: 15*9 12.5*8
    Deadlifts: 275*6 255*7 235*9
    DB Rows: 80*7 75*9

Biceps:
    DB Curls: 50*5 45*7
    DB Preachers: 32.5*10 35*7
    Incline Db Curls: 30*4 25*7
    Hammers: 40*4 35*7
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:12 PM.

Oh, also, I really wanted to hammer my bi's today..they're never feeling worked the day after back/bi day, which really means nothing at all. But still, I want to really hammer them, i haven't done that in a while..usually I can spur some growth this way. My arms look friggin MASSIVE and Cut like ginsus when I was doing the incline curls

March 26, 2002 Chest and Triceps

Notes: wooooohoooooooo Alright, first things first, I did some heavy weights not on first sets today, as is obvious. This was not intentional, I just happened to gain some strength since last workout in several exercises.

Although I got the 85's for 5 I didn't feel as if I was going deep enough. I definetly went deep enough for it to be considered a rep., but I like going a tad lower than most. Also my left arm was much farther away from my body than my right. On declines the 80*4 set, on the last rep my left shoulder tweaked out so I stopped there, I think I may have slightly pulled my left anterior delt, other than that, all is well.

Chest:
    DB BENCH: 85*5 75*8 70*7
    DB DECLINE: 75*9 80*4
    Cable crosses: 8*9 9*14

Triceps:
    Rev. Grip bench pressing: 70*15 90*10 100*6
    Skulls: 90*11 95*8
    Kickbacks: 27.5*7 22.5*8
    1 hand underhand ext: 5*7
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:18 PM.

Originally posted by Accipiter
    My arms look friggin MASSIVE and Cut like ginsus when I was doing the incline curls
    That's why I like incline curls (The rest of the time my arms look like two little pieces of wet spaghetti hanging out of my sleeves.) The fact that they're actually a pretty decent exercise is almost beside the point.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

hey kurt V is my favorite author, nice quote.

hey kurt V is my favorite author, nice quote.
    Thanks. Mine too. I was wavering between the above quote and
    "Being alive is a crock of sh*t." from Timequake, which was one of his less enjoyable books, IMO, but contained some great stuff. Fav is still Breakfast of Champions although I've enjoyed every book of his I've read--which is almost all of them.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-27-2002 at 01:58 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

same here, I've read all his stuff, I didn't like cat's cradle as much, I think he kinda sold out on that one.

I didn't like cat's cradle as much, I think he kinda sold out on that one.
    Why do you say that?

it seemed like he didn't stick to his usual style, like there weren't any stories about background from characters, it was a dull read i thought

it seemed like he didn't stick to his usual style, like there weren't any stories about background from characters, it was a dull read i thought
    Gee, I really enjoyed it tremendously. It's one of his earlier books, so that's part of it I'm sure. One of the few Vonnegut books of which I didn't read more than a few pages is 'Player Piano'. He really hadn't developed his trademark style at that point--at least from what I read. It's really clear that with each book he became more and more loose with his narrative structure. His earlier books like "Sirens of Titan" and "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" are still fairly traditional in structure. 'Timequake" in my opinion, actually, suffers because it is too Vonnegut-ian. Basically, the narrative is so disjoint and incidental that what remains is mostly Vonnegut's musings on life, with very little tying them together. "Breakfast of Champions" is my favorite, because he really managed to pull off a perfect balance. Plus, who can resist his child-like drawings of 'wide-open beavers' and a**holes.

I'll stop cluttering up your journal now. Hey, you've got two of the damn things, anyways.

it was a dull read i thought
    *KICK*

Imo, it was a great book with a great 'plot' and interesting characters. Vonnegut always brings a sense of refreshment from the traditional styles and topics.

When I grow old and pointless, I'm going to go lay down on the top of a mountain and thumb my nose at the sky.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Hands down my favorite author, no one's even close. I think he just pandered to the mainstream too much. I mean breakfast of champions had drawings of vaginas in it for cryin out loud, he was never about mainstreaming it, I just think cat's cradle he censored himself a little bit.

Hands down my favorite author, no one's even close. I think he just pandered to the mainstream too much. I mean breakfast of champions had drawings of vaginas in it for cryin out loud, he was never about mainstreaming it, I just think cat's cradle he censored himself a little bit.
    Again, he wasn't pandering to anyone. Look at the year it was published. And look at the year Breakfast was published. And look at his other books in this context. He wasn't, at the time he wrote Cat's Cradle, quite as Vonnegut-like with his style. He still had a few trappings of a traditional writer. To bring it back to bodybuilding--with an admittedly poor analogy--your accusation is like saying that Arnold Schwarzenegger sucked because he wasn't as big as Ronnie Coleman. You've got to put things in context.

I'm not talking about as big, I'm saying it seemed like he didn't really expan on his idea as much as he wanted to. the whole thing with the tornados out of the clear blue just seemed sudden, I couldn't believe how quick he resolved the story.

home on easter break, going to do legs and shoulders at the gym back here. Gonna see if I can do less weight here than at college as is usually the case...can't figure out why. Well anyway, I'm off!

March 28, 2002 Legs and Shoulders

Notes: WoW so much for a drop in weight. WHOOOOOWHEEEE I was tired after my first 3 sets of squats, that 20 repper on the end, I was numb, I just sat on the floor, couldn't feel pain or burning, don't even think I could hear anything..HOOOAH

Legs:
    Squats: 275*6 245*9 225*10 185*20
    Standing Calf Nautilus thing: 150*12..just can't feel it, so I stopped early

Shoulders:
    Militaries: 60*7 55*8
    Laterals: 30*7 25*8
    Rear Laterals: 25*10 30*7
    Last edited by Accipiter; 05-03-2002 at 04:21 PM.

Good job!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

A change in scenary can be good sometimes. Well done.