The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar

Big Bad Saturday Fever

I hate the idea of flopping through journals for the sake of a new routine, but I decided to try my hand at creating a routine of my own with the goals in mind being strength and size. It's mildly based on Westside, and mildly based on bits and pieces of wisdom I've gathered from Supertraining, as well as tidbits I've read from a few other members here.

There is no set schedule for this routine. I'll be using the "Two-Factor Model of Training" as defined by Dr. Siff to determine gym days. That is to say, in a nutshell, that I will return for the next similar workout when my body is no longer showing/feeling negative traces from the previous workout. The splkit will be 2 upper body and 2 lower body workouts ad will look like this:

Power Upper Body
    ME Lift: Done ala Westside. Warming up with sets of 3 and dropping to singles and working to a 1RM.
    • Floor Press
    • Board Press
    • Ball Press
    • Decline Bench

Skullcrushers: 6x8-10 Not to failure, with the exception of the last set.
    Push Downs: 3x10 Never to failure.
    Overhead DB Extension: 3x10 Never to failure

Power Lower Body
    ME Lift: Done ala Westside. Warming up with sest of 3 and dropping to singles and working to a 1RM.
    • Squats
    • Deadlifts (any variant)
    • Good AMs

SLDL: 5x5 Only on days the ME is NOT a deadlift, otherwise:
    Hyperextensions: 5x5 Not to failure.
    Rows: 3x10 Any type of row, not to failure.
    Abs: 5x10 Any abs work will do, and I tend to fail at some point regardless what I say.

Speed/Hypertrophy Upper Body
    Speed Bench: 8-10x3
    DB Flies: 3x8 Working here for pec development, not for functional strength.
    Pushups: 2x30 Just for grins.
    Side Lateral Raises: 3x10 No failure.
    Bentover Lateral Raises: 3x10 No failure.
    Curls: 2x20 Any flavor of curls, try not to fail.

Speed/Hypertrophy Lower Body
    Speed Squats: 8-10x2
    Leg Extension: 3x10-12
    Hamstring Curls: 3x6-8
    Pullups/downs: 2xfailure Is this obvious?
    Rows: 3x12-15 Lighter weights, more reps.

So I'll give this a whirl and see how my body likes it and how it results for me. Like I said, if the Power Day negative traces last for 2 days, I'll do the Speed/Hypertrophy day after 6 days, using Zatsiorsky's idea that rest time = negative days * 3.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Looks good, SF! So what exactly are negative traces? DOMS?

That is one "trace" I think. Also, general weakness in the muscles worked. I also seem to feel like I'm starving after hard workouts. Literally days where no matter how much I eat it never feels like it's enough.

If those traces are gone after 1 day, then I'll perform the speed/hypertrophy day in 3 days. If it lasts for 2 days, I'll perform again in 6 days, etc. Otherwise, I'll open the routine with a day break between upper and lower body.

First of all, good luck with the new routine.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
    That is one "trace" I think. Also, general weakness in the muscles worked. I also seem to feel like I'm starving after hard workouts. Literally days where no matter how much I eat it never feels like it's enough.
    Wow---now what is this about SF? Because I experience this all the time actually. After a good hard workout I am literally friggin' STARVING all day. This usually ends up being a binge day in a sense. Near 5000 calories I would say. Ends up being WAY overboard. I definitely experience this quite often, LOL.

Well, I lack the terminology to explain this properly, but I believe it's just another way my body tells me it's recovering. Anytime my diet starts slipping, a good hard day at the gym will cure it everytime. Honestly, I think these starving days are the absolute best time to binge and pig out.

I would guess the starving comes from something hormonal, and the eating is almost an "anabolic window" and that I should fill it. Also I've noted that when I eat like a horse on these days, I seem to add more "lean" mass than usual. I say "lean" because I'm not saying it's ALL muscle, but it is definitely less fat than if I just DECIDED to eat 5000 calories.

Totally agreed SF. I feel the same way about those days when I am completely starving. I feel like I dont gain much fat pigging out on food after a good hard workout. Generally if I am going to eat a lot I try to make sure that I do it on training days. And of those training days very demanding days, like leg or back day. Just a personal preference. But after a hard leg session I am ready to eat all damn day, I never get full.

Power Upper Body

3 Board Press: 8x135 3x155 3x185 3x205 1x215 1x225 1x235
    Skullcrushers: 10x65 9x75 4x85 1x95 8x65
    Push Downs: 10x50 8x60 10x50
    OH DB Extension: 10/10x15 9/8x20 10/9x15
    (the 10/10 means each arm had 10)

The 235 is the best I've ever done off 3 boards. On skulls I wanted to get an idea what a 1RM would be so I can do some percentage-based progress tracking. Everything else went alright. Plan to eat like a madman the next few days. I'll be keeping track of negative days so I can get a good time selected to do my next upper body workout.

Nice workout SF! 3 Board Press strength is definitely looking good man. Keep up the hard work, seriously. Skullcrusher strength looks damn good too. Do you have any goals weight wise SF? Like do you want to reach 215-220? Or do you plan to just hover around 210 and focus on strength?

I wantto get around 240. I don't want it to be all fat, but I'm not going to worry about it much either.

Lookin' good SF. What's your diet like if you're trying to get up to 240 from 210? Take any supps?

Looks like you have great back strength, but keep working on the chest strength. How old are you? Keep up the good work!

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Currently I'm only weighing in around 190. I had a week of drinking and poor dieting that I have to recover from. My diet usually consists of 3500-4000 calories a day. I'm going to put my best foot forward towards making that 4500-5000 a day and see where it gets me. I don't take any supplements, per se, unless protein counts

I'm 25 these days. I think my chest strength is decent, but because of my chest size and long arms I have a huge ROM that seems to hinder me. I think I found my sticking point yesterday, though, so we shall see what I can do. And thanks!

Currently I'm only weighing in around 190. I had a week of drinking and poor dieting that I have to recover from. My diet usually consists of 3500-4000 calories a day. I'm going to put my best foot forward towards making that 4500-5000 a day and see where it gets me. I don't take any supplements, per se, unless protein counts

I'm 25 these days. I think my chest strength is decent, but because of my chest size and long arms I have a huge ROM that seems to hinder me. I think I found my sticking point yesterday, though, so we shall see what I can do. And thanks!
    Your chest strength is good, I wasn't knocking it, but in comparison, your back is really strong. And I know what you mean about long arms, my buddy is 6'4" and I think they hinder his benching too.

Only supps are protein shakes? You must eat a ton!

Workhorse
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

On a good day I eat a lot. On bad days I don't eat much until dinner and afterwards. I just get lazy I guess. I agree my back strength is much better. I think taller guys with longer arms are better suited to deadlift. I would like to see my deadlift get into the 500s at some point next year, though.

What is a board press?

3 Board Press, as I did, is three 2x4's screwed together. You set the board(s) down your chest like a stripe and you bring the bar down to the boards, pause ever so slightly, and explode the press back up from the boards. It's basically a way to limit your ROM to workout specific ranges of motion in a lift. Think back to when you did "21's" for your biceps.

You can also do 2 Board, 4 Board, or 5 Board presses. Anything more than 5 and you'd have no ROM at all generally.

***edit: Screwed together in a stack. A 2x4 is actually 1.5x3.5 so 3 boards would stand 4.5" high off the chest.
    Last edited by Saturday Fever; 11-05-2002 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks

Good luck getting to 240 lbs. SF. Damn youre going to be thick as hell at 240 lbs. I doubt youll get fat with your type of frame it seems like it would take a TON to get you fat.

Just guessing wildly, I think at 240 I'd be carrying about 15% body fat.

Thats not horrible by any means SF. 240 lbs. @ 15% bodyfat comes out to what, something close to 35 lbs. of fat or something like that? 205 lbs. of LBM is friggin' big as f*ck. I am probably around 13-15% right now I think at 206 lbs. this morning. So you would be huge at 240. Good luck getting there man. Maybe make small goals like 5-8 lbs. every month or something.

I've got Power Lower today. I am absolutely determined to get 300 on squats. I really want to do Good AMs instead just as a general builder, but I have to hit 300 before the end of the year.

Yeah SF you should hit 300 on squats before long. I dont see why you havnt hit it yet. Good luck getting it man. I am shooting for 455 x 2 sometime in the next few months. I am not sure yet when.

Power Lower Body

Deadlifts: 3x135 1x185 1x225 1x275 1x325 1x355 0x365
    Hyperextensions: 5x+25 5x+25 5x+25 5x+25 5x+45
    Seated V-Bar Rows: 10x150 10x150

And that's it. New PR on deads, I was thrilled. I tried 365 twice and failed both tries to even get the weight off the floor. However, I did feel my hamstrings ignite and that gave me a good idea what's been holding my squats back. I think I've got 300 on my next power day. On a side note, I don't feel any traces of pain and suffering from my Power Upper day, so I'll return for Speed/Hypertrophy on Sunday. My lower body feels pretty good, so I may get my next leg day in before then. That seems awfully strange to me.

Good job on pulling the 355! It won't be long and you'll be doing 405.
    "Load the bar, do the set, forget about it until the next workout. It's not rocket surgery."
    - Dan Martin

"Pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness."
    - Henry Rollins

I'm going to have to get my training partner to take pictures of that. It'll be a good day in my world.

Deadlifts: 1x355
    Awesome work here SF!!

Congrats on the new PB, good job man. Good luck getting to your goal of 375 soon. Thats a hell of a lotta weight to move around.