Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Men and women Weight lifting?

Wannabebig Member

Difference between Men and women Weight lifting?

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and have put together a really nice diet and workout routine for myself. I've been doing it for a while and its working great.

My sister would also like to get into shape and I don't really know much about diets for women and workout plans for women. Would it be possilbe for someone to post a good female workout plan if the goal is to lose fat, get toned? She would like to drop about 25lbs

Thanks guys and gals

As I mentioned in your other thread, she needs to lift weights. Train her the same as you'd train a man: heavy compound lifts, I usually keep newbies in the 5-8 rep range (3-rep for movements they have trouble with so they can practice only the first few, good-form movements in multiple low-rep sets).

There is no difference in the way men and women should train.

:withstupi

The one warning I would suggest would be to start her STUPIDLY light - unweighted squats, 5-8 lb dumbbells for deads/RDLs and any other lift, and she may need a bit of direct bi and tri work before she's able to get anywhere near something like a chinup or a dip.

So does your sister want to lose some weight and tone up, or does she want to get stronger and bigger muscles? Compound lifts would be a silly if she just wants to drop some pounds. Get her to run. There's no substitution for running and it would let her drop weight quickly. She can do simple isolation lifts like curls, triceps extensions, and crunches / reverse crunches (not an isolation lift) to tone up.

If she wants to get stronger have her train with deads, bench, squat, press, etc

Quote Originally Posted by TCStyle View Post
    So does your sister want to lose some weight and tone up, or does she want to get stronger and bigger muscles? Compound lifts would be a silly if she just wants to drop some pounds. Get her to run. There's no substitution for running and it would let her drop weight quickly. She can do simple isolation lifts like curls, triceps extensions, and crunches / reverse crunches (not an isolation lift) to tone up.

If she wants to get stronger have her train with deads, bench, squat, press, etc
    WORST ADVICE EVER.

Seriously. Why would you even SUGGEST this?

come on borat you forgot to say NOTTTTT

I don't think women should run at all, hardly any long distance runners have a physique any girl wants. I think the elipitical and other hiit movements are better and easier on the body

I've never actually used the elliptical trainer. HIIT is a great modality though - sprinting does a body good.

So do deads, squats, chins, cleans... and a good diet.

Wannabebig Member
    But weren't there studies somewhere that showed that women took more knee stress from running than men? It had something to do with the Q-angle of the hips to the knee joints and how women with wider hips will have more knee stress than men or women with smaller Q-angles. But, for women with curvier physiques, I think HIIT would be great, just substitute something else for sprints (rowing maybe?)
    Weight: 250-255 Height:6'0"
    Current: 515/320/585 (unequipped)
    Goals for year end: 545/345/615 BW: 245

Quote Originally Posted by BearD View Post
    But weren't there studies somewhere that showed that women took more knee stress from running than men? It had something to do with the Q-angle of the hips to the knee joints and how women with wider hips will have more knee stress than men or women with smaller Q-angles. But, for women with curvier physiques, I think HIIT would be great, just substitute something else for sprints (rowing maybe?)

there we go thats what I was talking about, remebered reading an article but couldn't remember anything besides that girls shouldn't do long distance running.

theres nothing wrong with sprinting infact I encourage everyone to work the most important muscle (heart) I just completely disagree with long distance running

A woman that wants to lose weight and tone up doesn't need to be doing compound lifts except maybe squats. Squatting is alight because it works to tone up hams, gluts, and quads. Beyond that I think compound lifting would be stupid seeing as how she isn't trying to get stronger, just more tone. Furthermore ab workouts and elliptical movements are pointless unless the fat that is over the ab muscles is gone. It's true that competitive runners don't have a very attractive physique, but If his girlfriend is trying to drop 20lbs than I doubt she is a competitive runner. A two mile run every other day would shed pounds off, without turning her body into anything she doesn't want it to be.

High volume, low weight isolation lifts would be the most beneficial if your are trying to have your existing muscle become more defined without becoming larger.

/thread
    Last edited by TCStyle; 03-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.

GTFO Troll!

Almost all your advice is completely wrong.
    Last edited by Invain; 03-24-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

You're the ****ing troll. She doesn't want muscle gain or explosive power. HIIT isn't the ****ing answer

Wannabebig Member
    My fiance worked out for a few months doing a lot of high rep, low volume work, and didn't see much progress. Now I (with some help from folks here) talked her into lifting heavy...in fact, she's using my exact routine. Now she's seeing remarkable progress. Women should work out just like men...remember that existing muscle won't become larger unless the diet is there to facilitate that. Just my $.02
    Last edited by JazzCatDRP; 03-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.

I'll agree that without a high calorie / protein diet she won't put on muscle mass, but then what is the point of heavy lifting? Deadlifting and bench pressing to tone up? It seems like overkill for her goals

Are you stupid enough to think she'll get huge overnight? And who doesn't want to get stronger? What an ignorant statement. A two mile run won't do **** for her except burn a few calories and whatever small amount of muscle she has.

Low weight isolation lifts? You can't simply make muscles more "defined" by doing isolation work. She wants to lose bodyfat, simple as that. I really don't feel like arguing against all the stupid crap in your posts, so I'll advise you to learn a LOT more and think about giving advice later when it actually makes sense.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

You don't want to argue with my post because you can't. It never said anywhere in the posts that she wanted to get stronger. That's what makes your entire point moot, her goals are not the same as your goals. Running two miles a day, four days a week would do wonders for her (assuming she is eating right and getting some other workouts in). Arguing the running doesn't shed fat and help create abs is the epitome of an ignorant statement. Calorie deficiency is the definition of weight loss, and running burns a whole lot of calories. Way more than squatting a 45lb barbell or benching 55lbs.

If she's not taking in a lot of calories, then yes low weight, high rep isolation lifts would help to make her muscles more define. Remember, she's not trying to get her deadlift up to 465lbs, bro, shes trying to lose weight and look better.
    Last edited by TCStyle; 03-24-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Hey, TC, I won't go off on some ad hominem attack here, but please please please take this conversation to a personal message with Built.

She happens to be a woman who did EXACTLY what you said - ran ran ran. Did she get ripped? No. Did she get toned? No. She got pudgy (with great cardiovascular health, love ya built).

Look at her avatar now - do you think a few laps around a track did that for her?

I'm just trying to open your mind up to some possibilities here - simple, steady-state cardio (read: moderate to long-distance running) is probably NOT the answer for fat loss. Do you know how many calories you burn in an HOUR of running? What, like 300? That's half a burger, and I highly doubt his g/f plans on running an HOUR at a time. Get her doing some heavy-weight exercises and I can pretty much guarantee the pounds will fly off...

/thread kidding!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Just because it didn't work for built doesn't mean running doesn't work. I've lost pounds of fat (20lbs to be exact) several years ago running one and two miles as fast as I could. I read her blog and looked and her photos, which made me even more staunch. The problem here must lie in our different perceptions of a perfect female body. Large biceps on a woman is not attractive, in my opinion. Neither is veins protruding out of large shoulders.

To ThoTho: Your girl doesn't need to deadlift. Get her ass on a treadmill and a track and she'll lose weight. There are a bunch of different ab exercises out there that she can choose from depending on which she feels is the most effective. I've seen it work before, and I would bet it could work for her. I just call it as I see it. The woman who are doing deads in my gym aren't what your girlfriend is striving for (from the goals posted in your topic).
    Last edited by TCStyle; 03-24-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    You don't want to argue with my post because you can't.
    I most certainly can and will

It never said anywhere in the posts that she wanted to get stronger. That's what makes your entire point moot, her goals are not the same as your goals.
    It doesn't matter what the goals are. Whether gaining or losing weight, compounds are more effective.

Running two miles a day, four days a week would do wonders for her (assuming she is eating right and getting some other workouts in). Arguing the running doesn't shed fat and help create abs is the epitome of an ignorant statement.
    No it isn't. Abs are created in the kitchen not by running

Calorie deficiency is the definition of weight loss, and running burns a whole lot of calories. Way more than squatting a 45lb barbell or benching 55lbs.

Really? Do you have links to this? Jogging a couple of miles burns more calories than a 1 hour workout? There are just so many variables that you can't possibly make this statement. Intensity, rest periods...

If she's not taking in a lot of calories, then yes low weight, high rep isolation lifts would help to make her muscles more define.

This is utterly untrue. Low weight high rep isolation does NOT help with definition. Definition comes from low body fat which is a function of diet. Anyway it is easy to tell that the low weight high rep isolation myth is bunk. What do you think burns more calories? Squatting 45 lbs or squatting 225?

Remember, she's not trying to get her deadlift up to 465lbs, bro, shes trying to lose weight and look better.

Then compounds will do that. As long as the caloric intake is kept low, she will NOT gain size and strength.

PS. At 18 years old and 155 pounds what exactly are your qualifications to be arguing with older and more advanced lifters? You've been a member since 2005 and it doesn't look like you've done any reading here on this site.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-24-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Banned
    The woman who are doing deads in my gym aren't what your girlfriend wants to be striving for (from the goals posted in your topic).
    You're right, why would she ever want to be strong, in shape and have a knowledge of fitness and health. Seriously guys, lifting weights doesn't make you more tone or loose weight, I mean come on, do you really think body builders lift weights? No. They run 24/7 that's how there so tone
    Last edited by BrettC; 03-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.

It's hard to reason with a bunch of meatheads.

To OP: Take whatever advice you deem appropriate. Your girl isn't going to want to power lift, and there are many alternatives that are just as effective. 95% of the fit woman in my gym have never done a squat, deadlift, benchpress, or clean in their life. Barbell training isn't right for everyone.
    Last edited by TCStyle; 03-24-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It's hard to reason with a bunch of idiots.

To OP: Take whatever advice you deem appropriate. Your girl isn't going to want to power lift, and there are many alternatives that are just as effective. 95% of the fit woman in my gym have never done a squat, deadlift, benchpress, or clean in their life. Barbell training isn't right for everyone.

To the OP. Built gave some solid advice in this thread. I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-24-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Banned
    It's hard to reason with a bunch of idiots.

Barbell training isn't right for everyone.

Same goes to you on the arguing part.

And FYI with those BIG numbers and giving such hot shot advice like you are, I am going to assume barbell training isn't your niche either.