Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bored_pc_guy's total body rehab starts now

Deads make me feel alive

Bored_pc_guy's total body rehab starts now

Hey,
    I am overdue to get myself back to where I am not self-conscious about the way I look... I am finally able to use my body without fear of destroying it again (2 lower back surgeries to remove herniated disk matter and it actually WORKED)... Granted I am in proper proportions for an average person, but it's time to be anything but average....
    I have only been at this for about 7 weeks, so I still have a ton of noob gains to make. a TON. At 25 years of age, I am probably hard-pressed to expect any earth-shattering gains but I'll do what I can, ya know?

Here is a rough idea of my body type:
    height: 6'0"
    weight: 175 (was 168 7 weeks ago and I dropped a hole in my belt too)
    bicep: roughly 15.5" flexed (probably less, I need a cloth measuring tape)
    Everything else I would need a better way to measure... Right now my BF% is around 13-14% as I bulk up, I figure when I am over 180 or even more and I feel stronger than I am now, I will drop the build and start the burning process to get cut.

My usual week is like this:

day 1 - Legs (quads, hams, hips)
    day 2 - Biceps / calves ( to mix it up)
    day 3 - Triceps / Chest
    day 4 -Back / Traps
    day 5 - Rest
    day 6 - Shoulders
    day 7 - Rest

I set aside an entire workout for my shoulders because I feel like they are my weak point. I definitely don't overdo it either, 35-45 minutes with decent rests.

Given my job (restaurant worker) and my BMR, I need to eat a TON of calories to gain. Fitday helped me figure out that on a non workday and with 45 minutes in the gym I am up to 3700 calories burned. I got that covered (I am a chronic snacker and never stop eating, usually healthy).

Here are my weaknesses:

Ankle inflexibility: I have always had ridiculously tight ankles, doctors never found out what was wrong with me. Stretching everyday has given me the ability to get them out over my toes (yeah, it's that bad). Squatting is nearly out of the question but being able to squat my bodyweight is a goal.

Lower back: This thing is the ultimate downer... I herniated L4/5 disk and bulged the L3/4 at the same time working 2 years ago. After PT and 2 surgeries, I fear deadlifts but know that my back is strong. I just have to work VERY slow, almost laughably so, but any progress I make on my back is going to make me very proud. My goal after however long it takes is a 275 pound deadlift, and I will hopefully pass that one day. No rush.

Holy Novel.
    Let me know if anything I am doing is pointless or stupid, in time all the critical components of anyone's routine will be added. My goal here is to prevent injury and put on a few pounds of muscle, then shed off all the fat later.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 03-25-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Deads make me feel alive
    Shoulder day: The day of burning delt hell (but it burns so good)

**Wish the gym had a shorter bar to do military presses, working with a machine until I can figure something out.

Lateral dumbbell raises:

2 x 12 x 15 lbs
    1 x 10 x 20 lbs (last set to failure)
    1 x 8 x 15 lbs (BURRRNNN)

(slightly elevated) Lying rear deltoid raises:
    4 x 10 x 15lbs (first time ever doing this exercise)

Machine shoulder press (basically militarys):
    50 x 12
    55 x 10
    60 x 8

Partial Lateral raises:
    2 x 8 x 30

I tried mickey-mousing a bench fully inclined to 90 degrees with the smith machine but I couldn't get it comfortable enough to make it feel like a military. I hate the smith machine.
    If you couldn't tell, I have grossly neglected my shoulders but my numbers will go up over time. I am dying to feel it happen.

Deads make me feel alive

Impatience is a virtue... GOTTA DO IT

Rest? NAH... not feeling it. Just had a job interview, when I get this new job I'll have a better schedule and will be able to eat and sleep better based on time. Since I separated upper back from lower back, I have to work it in somehow. Deadlifts seem like the way to go and also lumbar extensions on the machine.... Physical therapy after surgery trained me to deadlift with perfect form (but that was almost an empty bar) so I can do stiffs and regular form.. Probably just doing standard DLs for a couple weeks or a month until I get stronger.

TODAY'S GOAL: at least 100 lbs deadlift, max of 135 (for safety)
    190 lbs lumbar extension x 10 (I did 8 last time after 2 lighter sets)
    CORE WORK!!!!!!!!

Updates later. Advice or blatant negative criticism is always welcome. I need to hear it because I am stubborn and will keep this up until someone points out something I've overlooked.

Getting cloth tape measure tonight too so I can benchmark myself.

[edit]
    UPDATE: Here was my simple core and lower back routine...

Lumbar extension:
    170 x 10
    190 x 10
    210 x 5 (grossly underestimated my strength, should have kept a journal earlier)

Deadlift:
    95 x 8
    100 x 8
    135 x 5 (WOOHOO!!!!!)

Decline bench crunches:
    4 x 15

Cursed Demon Ball of Suffering crunches:
    4 x 25

Captain's Chair oblique tortures:

3 x 20, with 10 (knees left) then 10 (knees right)

So I would have to say that while I am still not that flexible, I was able to pull up the plate like I wanted to, and much easier than I imagined... My goal deadlift will not take all that long to get... I got a slight workout in the quads and a great pump in the lower back without a major burn, granted the weight is low, but I am going to add 10 or 20 lbs next week. I noticed the "strain" or stress is more on the L1/L2/L3 disks in the lower back than the bottom 2 so I am golden. My goals are all going to get higher as a result of this simple workout, I am absolutely psyched that I can walk. I stretch all day, every day so that must be the trick.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 03-25-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Deads make me feel alive

Legs of, er, um, steel

Leg day... Still not confident about squats, working hard to improve ankle flexibility. Back is a little sore, but not the joints themselves... I think I am gonna like doing DL's :-)

Note to self: Must spread out DL day and squat day until more strength comes. Otherwise squats stay out of the question.

Leg Extensions:
    5 x 5 x 210

Leg Curls:
    4 x 5 x 200
    1 x 5 x 210

Leg Presses:
    1 x 10 x 175
    1 x 8 x 185
    1 x 8 x 200
    1 x 5 x 250

I've never done leg presses so this was a learning experience. To keep my legs from crunching my lower back out of wack, I am still dialing the perfect range of motion and I'm sure I didn't set it low enough. Decent workout though... Probably have to go way heavier on presses.

Deads make me feel alive

Biceps and lack of calf innovation

Easy quick routine today... Wanted to increase my curl set weight of 30, so I left out the preachers this week. Starting to wonder if a bicep day is even necessary considering how hard I will be hitting the upper/mid back this week.

[I typed it today like weight x reps]

Alternating dumbbell curls:
    35 x 8 on each
    40 x 5
    35 x 8

Cable Reverse ez-bar curls:
    85 x 8
    100 x 6
    115 x 5
    130 x 1

Barbell pronated wrist curls (sitting):
    bar weight x 35
    bar x 20

Dumbbell supinated wrist curls (sitting):
    35 x 10, each, x 2 sets

Calf extension machine:
    190 x 12
    200 x 8 x 2 sets
    250 x 8

I think I need to start using the smith machine for calf raises and step on some weight plates for ROM. The contraption aggravates me but it looks like a proper use for it so why not. I got my forearms tightened right up and I feel good aside from yesterday's leg work. Calves felt worked at the time but I have no real pain or weakness at this point in time, so I doubt they will even be sore in the AM.

MEALS:

I will start logging this more so I have something to look at and maybe, HOPEFULLY, look at before I continue stuffing my face recklessly.

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee, 1 sugar... 100 or so calories
    snack: 2 breadsticks (I work at the ol!ve g@rden)... 300 calories
    Lunch: seafood chowder (don't wanna know calories)
    Other lunch: Turkey sandwich, whole wheat bread
    snack: orange and a protein shake, 13g whey
    dinner: 4 happiness chinese take-out (ehh, could have been worse even though I ate the whole thing... i'm bulking up after all )
    after dinner: protein shake, 26 g again

FOOD GOALS:
    Eat breakfast, drink more water, remember to take the multi and get more fish.

Deads make me feel alive

chest / triceps and a popping shoulder

I really have a bad short-term memory and i forgot the standard way to type weight, reps and sets so I am going to make it standard for me:
    sets x reps x weight...
    if it's dumbbells or 2 pulleys, its the number on the weight itself (each hand).

Cable crossovers:
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 5 x 60 (failure set, got an extra partial in)
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 5 x 50 (failure set)
    I just hit 60 last week so I wanted to work it in multi-reps... Was pretty happy about it.

V-Bar pushdowns:
    1 x 10 x 70
    1 x 8 x 85
    1 x 8 x 100
    1 x 6 x 115
    1 x 4 x 130
    1 x 3 x 145 (PR)
    This was fishy, I had to use the adjustable pulley today... the side i usually use has identical size plates and is marked out as half as heavy as this side. I think the other side has the wrong markers on it. Hey, at least I know I can pushdown more than 40 pounds right?

Dips:
    1 x 10 x ME
    1 x 6 x ME
    1 x 5 x ME STILL
    Going to do sets of 5 next time and get in 25. at 30 total I will get a dip belt.

Inclined smith bench press:
    1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 6 x 135
    1 x 6 x 115
    Never done this before... Not unhappy but want more reps.

Inclined dumbbell flys:
    smallest incline:
    1 x 8 x 30
    next smallest incline:
    1 x 7 x 30.........
    POP! My right shoulder popped because I went back too fast and I stopped out of paranoia... It hurt for a millisecond but I am not gonna push it, it's my bad shoulder. But I did keep it going.

EZ bar laying tricep extension (skullcrushers?):
    1 x 8 x 40
    1 x 4 x 50

Fly machine with 6 second negatives:
    110 x 8
    150 x 6 and partials

Tricep Kickbacks (each arm):
    1 x 10 x 15
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 8 x 25

If I can get a friend to start coming to the gym, I'll start benching. I will only do flat benches with a real barbell, not the smith machine because I have a weak bench and want to genuinely increase it. Other than that POP, felt GREAT.

Deads make me feel alive

screw cable internet

I had all my measurements ready to post and i lost it during the send.

Ht: 6'0"
    weight: 175 lb
    BF%: 13.3% (tape method)
    Bicep: 13.25" flat, 15" flexed
    forearm: 12.25" straight, 13.5" brachio flexed
    neck: 15.5"
    waist: 33"
    thigh: 23"
    calf: 15"

Deads make me feel alive

Upper Back and Traps a little

Lower back is still a little sore but nothing out of the ordinary for someone missing a facet.

Pulldowns:
    1 x 8 x 120
    2 x 8 x 140
    1 x 6 x 160

Cable Low Rows:
    1 x 8 x 120
    2 x 8 x 140
    1 x 8 x 160

Pullovers:
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 6 x 60
    (shoulders getting sore, pissed off and dreading shoulder day tomorrow)

Smith Machine Shrugs:
    135 x 10
    155 x 10
    185 x 10

Trapezius muscles are strong in general aren't they? Not exactly sure how to work them better, and I flat out forgot to do my DB shrugs too... DERP!

Pullups, Wide grip, palms away
    2 x 5 x bw
    1 x 4 x bw
    1 x 8 x -40 (assisted machine)
    Thats a lot of pullups for me, 19 unassisted is a record in one sitting... I am getting stronger finally!

DB one-arm bent over rows
    50 x 10
    60 x 8
    70 x 8

I cannot wait to get a new job, working in a restaurant with a bad back is a horrible idea... Working a desk job will be heaven because I will be able to heal better.

Deads make me feel alive

Shoulders again, something different...

Standing military press, olympic bar
    1 x 10 x bar
    3 x 10 x 65
    Can't figure out how to get the bar up off the bench properly but my shoulders might just be trash... Skiing hard and landing wrong is not ggod 7 years later

DB lateral raises
    1 x 10 x 15
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 10 x 15

kneeling rear delt flys, low cables
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 15
    felt GOOD.

Arnold presses:
    1 x 8 x 30 (think i pulled something... time to try something else)

front raises:
    1 x 2 x 20 YEOWCH
    1 x 6 x 15 YYYYEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWCH

So I have a sore as hell shoulder, but they definitely got worked... Tried to avoid the machines but I might have to use them more until my strength is there. I am pretty sure my form is way off, though my militaries felt good. Light as all hell but whatever, the last rep of the last set almost didnt go up fully. In time I'll have boulders---I will NOT give up. My rotator cuff is fine but the ligament that holds the right collarbone to the scapula got pulled and stretched permanently during skiing, in a full tuck, superman hand/face plant because the crappy rental skis let go when i was all of 17 years old. It'll get better, because I am not giving it an option....
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 03-31-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Deads make me feel alive

You'll get tired of seeing this journal at the top of the list all the time...

...but I don't care... It's getting me going isnt it?
    Decided to try smith machine squats since my crappy gym (planet f!!!tness) has no squat rack or anything... Finally decided to get away from those machines a bit for the legs, aside from leg presses. Lumbar extensions will be used to bust deadlift plateaus I suppose.

Deadlifts:
    1 x 8 x 95
    1 x 6 x 135
    1 x 6 x 155
    1 x 2 x 185 <----new PR
    The 2nd rep was a little uneven at first so I would call it 1 1/2 reps lol

Leg Press machine:
    190 x 10
    220 x 10
    240 x 8
    250 x 8
    Found the right ROM and it REALLY worked.

Smith Machine calf raises:
    (smith is better than no exercise at all right?)

135 x 12
    155 x 10 and started doing them with my toes on weight plates
    185 x 10
    205 x 10
    too easy.

DB calf raises, toes on plates

1 x 50(2) x 12
    1 x 60(2) x 10
    1 x 70(2) x 10

Smith Squats (shut up)
    bar x however many it took to get somewhat of good form going
    95 x 8
    135 x 8
    145 x 6
    I feel it in my left hip abductor, woohoo

Didn't know those muscles on the left side existed (yeah first time squatting)... Atrophy is still present, hard to believe but not really. My legs feel like they have much more fight left in them but I am not gonna push the issue. I did a lot of compound exercises and I am more used to the machines and cable stuff. Thanks to all who changed my mind because it feels like I will be getting MUCH stronger quicker. I am going to add the bench press this week if my right shoulder stops being a little bitch. Screw it, I'll bench nearly 0 if I have to, to get started.
    NEVER going to give up. Never going to stop trying for more. End of story.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 04-02-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Deads make me feel alive

Here goes nothing - progress pics

Don't feel obligated to comment, though go for it of you wanna be brutal... I am tough as nails hahaha... I am basically leaving these up here to track my progress.

My take: Skinny as hell for 175, but really no abs to speak of, and this really shows how uneven I got from favoring one side for so long due to injury (scar is visible on lower back - friggin cool!!!).

I took the photo using a self timer so I am sure that I am not perfectly lined up either, but I am really happy with my gains so far. Eating has been the best part and I am gonna keep at that one for a long while.

So far, my biceps grew an inch in under 2 months, i gained 7 pounds, and lost an inch around the belly! I have lats and a middle back now which is new. Noob gains are great

I should probably tan before I accidentally flash out an SOS to an airplane or something LOL. Ah well I think I look all right, so thats all that matters right?

Here are my appearance goals:

upper chest development
    chest symmetry
    shoulders bigger
    traps bigger
    everything BIGGER
    un-flabulate the thighs when i am happy with muscle mass. (not shown)

Does that sound about right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Deads make me feel alive

GRRRRRRRRRRRR at shoulder again.

I skipped the biceps and I already did calves this week...... biceps are going to be burnt out after pre-exhaust with upper back / lats. I want to balance out the upper body anyway.

Another day at the gym cut short by the nuisance shoulder. I am going to have to rest for a week or so I think and ice the hell out of it. So, no chest or shoulder for a week and we'll see from there.

Bench press
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 95
    1 x 6 x 135
    0.00001 x nope x 185
    instant shoulder pain.

Cable crossovers (weight is each stack of plates)
    1 x 10 x 40 (mistake, should have done 8)
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 6 x 60
    1 x 2 x 65 PR

Pushdowns
    1 x 10 x 70
    1 x 8 x 85
    1 x 8 x 130
    1 x 6 x 145
    1 x 2 x 160

Dips
    4 x 5 x me
    1 x 10 x me
    I did the 10 after I spotted this huge dude that did a 245lb BTN military on the smith. Stopped feeling bad for myself.
    30 is the new record! Strict form too.

Flyes:
    1 x 8 x 30
    1 x 8 x 35
    1 x 2 x 40 (ouch)
    1 x 6 x 30

Incline DB press
    1 x 10 x 30
    1 x 6 x 40

So, my conclusion for the day:

MY SHOULDER IS THE DEVIL.

I know for a fact that my rotator cuff is fine, twisting it, raising it, and moving it in any direction is painless... once I get it in the bench position, or use it for flyes, fuhgeddaboutit. Any load kills... It's that stupid little ligament that cements the scapula to the tip of the clavicle which apparently is a useful little ligament... It is stretched like crazy. Flexing the right shoulder isometrically shows how much it floats. GRRRRRRRRRR

If anyone can tell me the best way to strengthen this bastard of a problem, I am all ears... I think that an all around high rep program with low weights is the only way to start... I NEED to get stronger. I WILL NOT STOP. THERE IS A WAY.

Deads make me feel alive

Good day at the gym

Lats / middle back

Pull-ups, wide grip, palms away
    3 x 5 x me
    (record)

Wide Grip Lat pulldowns
    1 x 8 x 120
    2 x 8 x 140

Close Grip pulldowns, not sure the attachment but hands were parallel
    1 x 8 x 120
    2 x 8 x 140
    1 x 3 x 160

Bent over BB rows
    1 x 8 x 95
    1 x 8 x 115
    1 x 8 x 125

Modified Pull-ups
    3 x 10 x me
    Used the smith for something useful. each set was on a different height, heels were on floor the whole time.

Cable Low rows
    1 x 8 x 120
    2 x 8 x 140
    1 x 8 x 160

Lumbar Hyperextensions, no weight
    3 x 12

Bent over DB rows... each side
    1 x 8 x 50 (REALLY easy)
    1 x 8 x 65
    1 x 8 x 75
    That was the biggest dumbbell in the gym... Good feeling that I can legitimately use it for something.

cool looking lats dude. you look like you should be rowing a lot more lol

keep working hard!
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Deads make me feel alive

Worried about shoulder.....

...but I worked them today anyway. BEST decision I ever made (aside from quitting the restaurant industry hahaha).

nhlfan - hahaha you are right, my rowin' muscles are lacking in that photo... They're there but I have no idea how to flex my lats that wide and flex the mid back at all lol. I am gonna row more anyway!

I did core today as well, first day with weights. Loved it.

Not sure why, but I just DID calves a little.

Standing militaries
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 9 x 65
    1 x 9 x 75
    1 x 8 x 85 (YES)
    I figured out how to clean the bar off the bench rack. Going for a bill next time.

Weighted hypers
    1 x 10 x 0
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 25

Standing cable cross row (going to keep this one)
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 10 x 30
    Rear delts feel ALIVE

Weighted Decline bench crunches
    1 x 10 x 0
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 25

SMITH upright rows (hmm)
    1 x 10 x bar
    2 x 8 x 95
    1 x 6 x 105
    These didnt hurt the lateral delts at all (much)... going to keep these, maybe not on the smith. Form is in question.

Captain's Chair Oblique raise/crunch/whatever
    3 x 10 each side

superset Arnies and (front DB raises - each hand)

1 x 8 x 15 (same)
    1 x 8 x 20 (same)
    1 x 8 x 20 just arnies

SMITH shrugs

1 x 6 x bar
    1 x 10 x 95
    1 x 10 x 135
    1 x 10 x 185
    1 x 10 x 205

DB shrugs - each hand
    1 x 10 x 55 (way too easy now - SWEET)
    1 x 10 x 65
    1 x 10 x 75

Seated calf extensions with leg press machine
    1 x 10 x 70 warm-up
    1 x 10 x 175
    1 x 10 x 250
    1 x 10 x 300

Same, but one foot at a time
    1 x 8 x 175 (each)

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Progress, though still light, is being made. It is good to know that I can gain in the militaries. We figured out that my shoulder had an AC dislocation all those years ago, but its nothing that I will make worse, aside from dull pain. It's just a little floaty and needs to build up. The traps are going to have to be done with uber weight on the bench, I had no choice today but I want FAR less reps, more weight and growth.

I am going to work my calves twice a week I think, they are tiny but recover stupidly fast. Hypers are going to be done more to help with the deads and also the bent over rowing that I need to do.

I eat too many carbs now. Going to focus on tuna, eggs, chicken, and cottage cheese... It's a good thing I love these foods.

Deads make me feel alive

Deadlifting BEST again. Short workout. DL's / core.

It seems I am getting addicted to deadlifts. I can't go the whole week, so I guess 6 days is the magic number. Hit a new PR too.

I am going to do hypers with weight and other core work every day so that I can be absolutely certain my stability is top notch while I increase the DL weight.

Weighted hypers
    0 x 12
    10 x 12
    25 x 12

Cap's Chair obliques
    1 x 10 each side.

DEADLIFT
    1 x 5 x 135
    1 x 5 x 155
    1 x 5 x 175
    1 x 2 x 205 PR

(at home)
    exercise weighted ball crunches (just dont like the way that sounds)
    1 x 12 x 10
    1 x 12 x 20

I know I can do more on the DL... But I may never have a 1RM because if I can do it once, I always justify doing it again. I may just say screw it and go for a 225 in 6 days since the last increase was 20 lbs. Using 2pps looks like a cheap thrill that I want in on. I cut the routine short today because I noticed a trend in a lot of my workouts: too many movements. I bet that is what's wrong with my shoulder. I am going to figure out a better theory with less reps, more weight. It's just that as a beginner, I find myself able to do either 100 of a certain weight, or 2 1/2. I can't find the middle ground often times. I think 6 or 7 is going to be my ideal rep range once I know myself better. In another month I will be a little better off, since I will have also had that much more time to read and also get a better read on my body/diet/motivation.

One more thing... This workout today gave me a massive pump in the erector spinae, but didnt stress the spine the way some people describe. I kept the arch in good form and barked up my left shin this time. Anyone else experience their back muscles having a pump you can feel with your hand? It rules.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 04-08-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: elucidation (whoa)

Deads make me feel alive
    Leg day: barely worth writing...

I didnt even have the chance to eat right today because of a stupid shift at work. I did however stop being such a pussy and put more weight on the dreaded smith. I hate that ****ing thing. But it's the only way I'll be squatting until I can afford a good rack for my attic. I won't ever be going over 350 so I'll have a decent lower level rack in a couple months. My form on the smith squat seems OK, I figured out where to put my feet so I could get my ass about 10" from the ground. I use a really wide stance too, but the workout I got from this is SO MUCH MORE than leg presses or extensions/curls that I can't really compare. I didn't even do that much

1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 4 x 185
    3 x 8 x 135

Also did some pathetic good morning / straight leg DL with dumbbells
    1 x 10 x 25
    1 x 10 x 30
    Barely anything, but never done before so I wanted to try them out before I lost all energy for the day.

Yep.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 04-09-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: making sense of this post

Deads make me feel alive

Chest / Tri Day, more core.

Legs apparently WERE worth writing about, my hips, quads and hams are on fire today. I will keep doing the squats like this because obviously my entire posterior from my glutes to my knees needs a tune-up.

I benched again today, tried to make a workout of it. The shoulder stoped me but I didn't kill it today.

Flat Bench:
    1 x 8 x bar
    2 x 8 x 135
    1 x 0.75 x 185 (ALMOST)
    1 x 2 x 155

Better I guess.

V-bar Pushdowns:
    1 x 8 x 85
    1 x 8 x 130
    1 x 8 x 145
    1 x 4 x 160

Incline Flys:
    1 x 8 x 30
    2 x 8 x 35
    Tried 40, got a partial after that. Doing them slow as hell so i am burning

Dips:
    5 x 6 x self
    1 x 5 x self

Flat Flys (cables were occupied so no crossovers, too impatient):
    1 x 8 x 30
    3 x 8 x 35

DB kickbacks:
    1 x 10 x 20
    2 x 10 x 25 (last reps felt amazing)

Core: weighted decline 3 sets like before, weighted hypers, e-ball obliques with 8lb medicine ball, also threw in 2 sets per side on a torso rotation machine, 90 lbs and 130 lbs each.

I think it's time for a dip belt. Any thoughts??????? I did a set of 14 earlier in the week and that was my max with cold tri's. Doing small sets I can go for miles apparently. Might dabble more with DB benching next week.
    Last edited by bored_pc_guy; 04-10-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Deads make me feel alive

found my upper back routine

I took on more freeweights and a new movement, the t-bar row, arnold style with a barbell. Not sure if I like it but it seems to kick my ass. Also looked up proper form and paid attention on exrx and fixed my low (close/neutral grip) rows on the cable rower.... and holy COW did it make a difference.

(proper form) Bent Over BB Rows:
    1 x 8 x bar
    1 x 10 x 95
    1 x 8 x 115
    1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 8 x 155
    I could have added more. Next time I will add a bit more or go for a max without killing my lumbar.

Pull-ups:
    2 x 6
    weight-assisted drop sets:
    1 x -40 x 8
    1 x -100 x 10

Close grip cable (low?) rows:
    1 x 8 x 120
    1 x 8 x 160
    1 x 6 x 180 (NEW)
    1 x 6 x 200 (YEAH)

T-bar Rows:
    Not sure how to gauge weight, I did not add the bar weight since one end is on the floor. Should I add it on there?
    1 x 10 x 45
    1 x 8 x 90
    1 x 8 x 115 (form deteriorated-noted)

Wide-grip pulldowns:
    1 x 8 x 120

close grip pulldowns:
    1 x 8 x 140
    1 x 6 x 160
    (getting torn up!)

Bent DB rows (each arm so double the recorded "sets"):
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 8 x 65
    1 x 7 x 75

DB hammer curls:
    2 x 5 x 35
    1 x 5 x 30

weighted hypers..... as always

I usually start with the pull-ups, the BB rows sort of got me. That's why I said "That's not enough" and flipped up the assist kneepad and took some weight off of me. More reps!!!!!!! I still can't believe I pulled 200 on the cable rows. I guess I was due to break that month-long plateau.

Deads make me feel alive

Shoulder day is starting to work

So I figured out, that if I keep the lateral raises to a minimum and do more compound exercises, the level of pain in my shoulder is minimal. Score!

Standing militaries:
    1 x 8 x bar
    1 x 8 x 65
    1 x 7 x 75
    1 x 4.5 x 95
    Fifth was more of a half mil half push-press.

Cable Cross Rows
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 30
    Dunno if I'm going to bother with these, might just fry the rear delts on back day from now on with freeweights.

BB upright rows: (not smith)
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 10 x 65
    1 x 8 x 85
    1 x 6 x 95
    1 x 6 x 115
    painless... but I felt it in the delts.

Cable lateral raises:
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 20
    sketchy.

BB Shrugs:
    1 x 10 x 95
    1 x 10 x 135
    1 x 10 x 185 (5 were partial)
    1 x 10 x 135

DB Shrugs (wt of each):
    1 x 10 x 55s
    1 x 10 x 65s
    1 x 10 x 75s (good form, loving it)

BTN militaries:
    (first time ever)
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 65
    1 x 8 x 75
    These feel friggin awesome but I can see how a couple degrees could ruin the show.

Arnies:
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 8 x 25 (getting nuked, still weak)

I also tried this exercise involving the traps, using the cable row and the ropes. Kind of like face pulls but more like trap pulls. Anyway I didn't like them so I stopped after 2 sets. No burn, but I guess that's what you get from a men's health mag right?

GOALS FOR NEXT SAT / Shoulder day:
    Mils: 100 lbs x 1
    BB Shrugs: 175 x 8+ in good form
    BTB BB shrugs... dunno what weight to start with so probably 135.
    BoredPcGuy: Not your average dork.
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal
    10-2005: L4/5 disk herniation, L3/4 disk bulge
    5-5-2006: Second and final microsurgery.
    6-2006: DL therapy 30 lbs, told i'd never lift over 60 lbs again.
    ***somewhere in between: lurked on WBB. started eating more.***
    6-3-08: DL 315!!!!!!!!!

Deads make me feel alive

DL day

did weighted hypers before and after the lift. also did weighted decline crunches, 3 sets of each, 0, 10, and 25lbs x 10

Cable oblique roation (chops?)
    1 x 10 x 20
    2 x 10 x 50
    each side.

Deadlifts:

1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 6 185
    1 x 4 x 205
    1 x 225
    YES!

After almost 3 months of fairly aggressive training, and 4 total sessions of deads, I join the 2 plate club. It felt pretty good, I actually switched to alternate grip this time, for the first time, and held it up for a few extra seconds, to soak in the moment. I want to be able to do most of my deads with normal grip so my wrists/hands don't get behind the rest of my body in development but I had the goal this week to pull it up no matter what. Last week I only put the 205 up twice, this week I could have probably pulled the 225 again but I got a hell of a workout and was satisfied with the pull. I will alternate weeks now to add reps and add weight, respectively. I am way closer to my goal of 275 than I thought I'd be at this point. The squats will help me immensely I think, and it seems like both exercises help each other to build so I am psyched to see what I am capable of pulling without hurting myself. I will have to put the cap on my limit eventually, until everything I do gets too easy. But, we'll cross that bridge when we get there right?
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal

Deads make me feel alive

Legs

SMITH Squats:
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 95
    1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 6 x 165
    1 x 2 x 195

DB SLDL (or good mornings or whatever they are):
    1 x 10 x 30s
    1 x 10 x 40s
    1 x 10 x 50s

DB calf raises:
    1 x 10 x 55s
    1 x 10 x 65s
    1 x 10 x 75s

cable oblique chops:
    1 x 10 x 40
    1 x 10 x 50
    1 x 10 x 60

standing alt DB curls:
    1 x 6 x 35
    1 x 5 x 40
    1 x 1 x 45
    (dunno why I did these, felt like it)

Weighted hypers, obliques on ball with 8lb med ball.

I think I need to get leg endurance up, higher reps lower weight, maybe stay on 135 for a while on sets of 10 just to get the endurance up. I talked to PF about putting in a squat rack, they said maybe (HA).

One can dream, right?
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal

Deads make me feel alive

Chest/Tris

Cable Crossovers:
    1 x 10 x 30
    1 x 8 x 40
    1 x 8 x 50
    1 x 8 x 60
    1 x 1.5 x 70 PR
    Was 2 but the last one was a series of 3000 partials thru the 1 rep

Dips:
    I TRIED WEIGHTED! Until I get above 75, I'm gonna use a dumbbell between crossed ankles, resting on the calves. Works fine and I don't have any money for stuff other than food and whey if I can.

2 x 8 x BW
    1 x 8 x +20
    1 x 6 x +20 (AMAZING)

Flat Bench (shut up):
    1 x 10 x 95
    1 x 6 x 135
    1 x 145
    1 x 155
    1 x 4 x 135
    Benching + me = bad relationship. Oh well, time will bring gains. I need a spotter for the mental aspect of it. My form is spot on tho, and my trap/lat positioning is changing for the better.

Flat Flyes:
    1 x 8 x 30
    2 x 8 x 35
    1 x 6 x 40 PR
    The squeeze is getting better now, I can feel it through my whole lower chest.

Incline DB bench (shut up again):
    1 x 10 x 20s warmup
    1 x 8 x 45s
    0 x 0 x 55s (fried)
    1 x 8 x 50s

Incline front raises (for upper pecs)
    1 x 8 x 20s
    2 x 8 x 15s (these are unreal)

EZ Bar Skulls:
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 40
    1 x 8 x 50

DB Tricep kickbacks:
    1 x 10 x 15 (1 set each arm)
    1 x 10 x 20
    1 x 8 x 25

Weighted Hypers:
    1 x 10 x ME
    1 x 10 x 10
    1 x 10 x 25
    1 x 10 x 45 (NEW)

Weighted incline crunches:
    I figured out that I was doing the incline crunches wrong and put the weight behind my neck. I did the pelvic tilt and everything. HOLY COW
    10 x nothing
    10 x +10 (crunch then got hips into it, 2 stage movement)
    10 x +25 (couldn't get my hips activated but the abs burned like hell)

I have to work tomorrow for 10 hours or so, so my rest day is tomorrow ironically. I am going to feel this one. I refuse to not let the numbers rise every other week or so, with few exceptions.
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal

Deads make me feel alive

Joke of a back day

I did something stupid: I worked my final shift at the olive garden (PEACE), and then worked out... On a 99% empty stomach all day. I felt shaky and dizzy during parts of it. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to but I still pushed for form. I think my form was lacking because I didn't feel much until the end. I didn't even bother doing lat pulldowns today but next week will be an all out brawl with the weights. I will be training at my new job, a desk job for once in my life. I'll have TONS of energy to blow off at the end of every shift.

Pullups:
    1 x 6
    2 x 5
    assist:
    -45 x 8
    -85 x 10 (instead of -100)

Bent BB rows:
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 115
    1 x 8 x 135
    1 x 8 x 155 (worked on form more - they got harder)

Low Rows:
    1 x 8 x 120
    1 x 8 x 160
    1 x 8 x 180
    1 x 6 x 200
    Progress... Also tightened up form. got MUCH harder.

Lat Pullovers (felt faint before this so subbed pulldowns):
    perpendicular to bench - first time
    1 x 8 x 45
    1 x 8 x 55

Stupid life fitness machine, supinated machine rows:
    1 x 10 x 90
    1 x 8 x 130
    1 x 8 x 150

DB bent rows:
    1 x 10 x 50
    1 x 8 x 65
    1 x 8 x 75 (HARD and form deteriorated last 2 reps)

and... weighted hypers. derp.

I plan on working on form, form, form. My rows are my favorite movement aside from the deadlift. As I write this, I can start to feel the after-effects of the back work. I NEED TO EAT MORE, JEBUS CRIPES. I am going to add biceps tomorrow during shoulders. I am going to keep supinated rows because I feel they will add a different angle that will benefit me. Might do them on the cable machine instead of the spiffy purple and black machine.

Something tells me that losing the cardio style job is going to do my body wonders. 8 hours on your feet, on quarry tile, is bad for you, period.
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal

Deads make me feel alive

Yep

Upper back definitely got worked yesterday... Feels good.

Shoulders:

Standing Militaries:
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 8 x 75
    1 x 5 x 85
    1 x 6 x 85 (got mad at first set)
    1 x 3 x 95...
    1 x 1 x 100 (FINALLY)

BB Upright rows:
    1 x 10 x bar
    1 x 10 x 65
    1 x 8 x 85
    1 x 8 x 95

BB Shrugs:
    1 x 10 x 135
    1 x 10 x 155
    1 x 10 x 175 (goal of form acheived)

Arnolds:
    1 x 10 x 15s warmup
    1 x 8 x 25s
    1 x 8 x 30s

DB Shrugs:
    1 x 10 x 65
    1 x 10 x 75

I hope that one day I'll be able to do some lateral raises with 30+. The theory is I will tighten up the delts then push the weight.
    6'0" 175 lbs.

My Journal