The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Just wondering... but from what I read it looks like you eat only from 6pm to 9pm... don't you get hungry earlier in the day?

Trying not to die young.

I wannabebig!
    actually 0600-0900 = 6 am - 9 am

That was what I originally thought, but he put 0600p and such, so with the p I thought he was implying pm.

Trying not to die young.

mclaughlin- I get hungry around 4-5pm but then I have my shake pre-workout and it's all good..

steven- actually, he was right, lol.. I just put the "0" in front of it so it lines up better in my spreadsheet, lol.. you'll notice the "a" and "p" after the times if it's morning or evening...

Tuesday**8/5/08's blurbs:::

:::food:::
    0600p 1 scoop cellmass
    0600p 2 scoops ON
    0600p 3 scoops waxy maize
    *workout @ 630-815p*
    0830p 3 scoops ON
    0900p 4 eggs
    0900p 4 scoops ON
    0900p 1 tbsp olive oil
    --------- [ p ] [ c ] [ f ]
    total grams 244 142 51
    daily cals=== 2003

:::workout:::
    pullups- BW+25x8, BW+25x6, BWx8
    bb yates rows- 275x8, 315x6, 315x6
    bent over db rows- 120x10, 120x10
    single arm hammerstrength hi-rows- 4pps x6, 4pps x6
    good mornings- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
    seated db shoulder press- 100x8, 100x8, 100x8
    db side raises- 45x8, 50x8, 50x8
    cable face pulls w/rope- 105x8, 105x8, 105x8
    bb shrugs- 315x12, 315x10, 315x10
    seated db shrugs- 110x10, 110x8, 110x8
    bb floor press- 225x8(wide grip), 225x8(index finger on rings)**felt much better
    cambered bar skullcrushers- 100x8, 100x8
    seated overhead one arm db tri ext- 40x6, 35x8
    machine dips- 210x8, 210x8

:::notes:::
    Rough workout, took longer than expected and I'm completely whiped. Shoulder work felt real good though and those floor presses jacked my triceps. That second set really crushed them once I moved my hands in just a tad bit more. I'll be adding those to the mix every week so I'll alternate between those and db floor presses. The rows felt awesome too. Feels great to finally be moving a little weight again. The pullups were weak, I'm not happy with them but, meh, they'll do I suppose. I'm off to eat that last meal and go to bed so I can get up and do it all over again.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

funny story from the gym today:::

So.. I'm hitting back today and working the last set of my db rows when this twig comes in with a sleveless shirt and a few armband tats. Nothing out of the ordinary or that would warrant me laughing at him. So... sets up the rack so that the bar is on the outside of the rack but you can still grab it standing and at arms length. He loads up with 135 and proceeds to do some kind of shrug movement.. ??? I don't know what the **** it was but it was kind of funny, so I watched. It kind of looked like a locomotive wheel because his shoulders were moving up and down but his arms were moving in a perfect circle... weird. Anyways, he loads up 225 and does it again for a set of 8 horrific reps. I move over to the HS hi-row machine and load up my 4pps when I hear him throw on anyother plate, now 315. So, curious hits me again and I watch him struggle out 6 "reps". I do my set with my right arm and hear him throw on another plate, now 405. I chuckle to myself and finish up with my left arm then look over as he bangs out 4 very difficult "reps". Now, I'm taking my break between sets and I look over and to my surpise, 5pps he now has on the bar. WTF is this guy thinking. So, intrigued, I watch again as I am now lol'ing. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, he's wearing wrist straps AND using chalk. Better safe than sorry, right? So I watch him pickup the weight and do 4 of these little movement thinggys that don't resemble anything I've ever seen. I shake my head and walk by after getting a drink. I sit down and do my right arm again for my 2nd set. Just as I'm getting to the 4th rep I hear the clank of another plate. That's right, 585lbs he now has no this bar. I finish my set and look over. He's psyching himself up. I sit there, on my machine, watching closely. He picks it up, and reps out 3 ungodly reps. Again, I laugh. I REALLY wanted to ask him what the **** he thought he was doing but I was too entertained. I start banging out the last set with my left arm and now I hear another clank. OMG, he's now got 7pps on there equating 675lbs...............

REALLY?

REALLY?

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? Mr Joe Schmoe, all 6'0 175lbs of him, is going to bang out 675lbs of so called "shrugs". This kids ****ing ******ed. So I watch again. Pathetically, he lifts the weight up one inch and does this little calf raise/shrug/something movement for 2 reps and puts it down... then begins to unload the weight.

This would be the end of the story, but he stuck around for me to laugh at him some more. I went over to the rack once he was finished and setup for my GMs. I watched as he went to the cable machine and started doing upright rows. I'm unsure of the weight, but they kind of looked more like hang cleans without the dip and finish of the movement. I'm sure they were upright rows, but they were "his" version. Again, I chuckle, do my 3 sets and move to the next movement, db shoulder presses. By now, he's over at the dumbbells by me so I can get a closer look at him. He's doing bent over rows with 110s. By now I'm thinking that he has to do at least ONE exercise right.... right?

WRONG

So he's standing there at a 30degree angle throwing every inch of his body and to yanking this thing up then dropping his body down to make it look like he's completed the rep. Fun stuff, really. He does 3 sets of this. Time for my side raises. Mr dip**** disappears for a few mins then I find him on my trip to the water fountain. He's got 6plates on the calf raises doing 1" reps and boucing the **** out of them. Good times. Afterwards, I head on over to finish up delts with face pulls. As I'm completing my first set, guess who shows up for some pullups? This should be an easy guess, it's the ****** again. Ding ding ding!!

So he starts doing pullups. He jumps up to his 90 degree angle starting position and proceeds to do 3" pullups, banging out 10-12 reps. Then, holy ****, he grabs the 45 for weighted pullups and reps out 2 more sets of 10. By now, I'm finished and grabbing my stuff to head back to the rack for my floor presses when his ****ing ugly girlfriend comes up and he starts boasting his ##'s..

what a ****ing moron.

I had an entertaining workout.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    So you were the jerk staring at me through that whole session. Hater.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I wish I had cool people like that at my gym. All I get is helpful guys with good form that make sure I don't mess up.

Trying not to die young.

Good job on the workout. Douchebags like you mentioned only bother me when they get in my way.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

chris- you love the attention.. I wish I could handle a 7pps "shrug".. lmao

mclaughin- I thought about saying something to this guy, but I figured it'd be pointless..

crazy- yeah, he wasn't in my way, but he was entertaining. What bothers me is that this guy actually thinks he's a hardass cuz he's moving so much weight despite such poor form. And I know he's thinking in his head "man, that guy's big but I can move more weight than him".. then he goes over to the machine I was on and does 1/4 plate more than me for awful reps and then he thinks to himself "what a pussy, I just repped this, ha ha ha"..

lol.. I'm demented..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Awesome story. I can see you owning those goals at the rate you are going.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Jake, you told me you werent going to tell anyone that you saw me at the gym.. What a jerk......

Yeah I learned a long time ago you can not give advice to someone who is not asking for it.. People like that will just blow you off, and all you did was waste your time and breath on someone who is only going to gain injuries instead of muscles...

Those are some lofty goals for a softy such as yourself, you might need mighty mouse as your workout partner again to get you to that level hahaha!!
    PRs
    bp-295x2, 225x15 squat-405x3
    height 5'2 weight 140lbs

All hail mase, the king of homosexual reference. - xian
    Pfffff. I've had jerk off sessions more intense than that workout. StackAttack in reference to CanadianCripplers w/o

Fuzzy Pics 6/07 http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98659

sid- thanks, I hope I can hit the goals, as long as this knee holds up..

mase- monday:: don't bitch out on me..

yesterday's **** in a nutshell::

went all day till about 6pm and decided on a 5hr refeed.. said refeed consisted of:::

3-4 cups rice crispies w/ 12oz ff milk
    3-4 cups corn flakes w/ 12oz ff milk
    2 cups (measured pre-cooked) white rice w/ butter
    3 slices meat lasagna (3"x3")
    2 scoops ice cream with chocolate/coconut/pecan pie
    1/2 gallon 2% milk
    1/4 gallon water

unk calories, no workout, 60mins SSC @ 12% incline, 2.1mph from 1-2pm..

onto today:::

Thursday**8/07/08's blurbs:::
    AM weight:: 234.6lbs

0600p 1 scoop cellmass
    0600p 2 scoops ON
    0600p 3 scoops waxy maize
    *workout @ 6-8p*
    0815p 3 scoops ON
    0930p 4 eggs
    0930p 4 scoops ON
    0930p 1 tbsp olive oil
    total grams 244 142 51
    daily cals=== 2003

squats- 315x5, 335x5, 365x5, 385x5, 395x5
    leg press- 4 1/4pps x15, 4 1/4pps x15
    lying leg curls- 170x8, 170x8
    db SLDL- 100x10, 120x8
    incline bb bench- 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
    hammerstrength incline bench- 3pps x10, 3pps x8, 3 1/4pps x6
    cable flyes- 100x8, 100x8
    db curls- 55x8, 55x8
    cambered bar vertical preacher curls- 75x10(wide grip), 75x10(close grip)
    db hammer curls- 75x8, 75x8
    hammerstrength preacher curls- 115x10, 140x6->drop set->115x6

Good workout, my knees are ****ed right now. That last set of squats really took it out of me. I'm icing it up right now and just popped 1600mg ibuprofin. Might hafta do a little deload next week and hit a higher rep/lighter weight squat workout next week to give it a little rest. Incline bench felt great, getting stronger already. HS incline felt awesome too, haven't gone that heavy in a while. Strength all around is definately up, maybe a result of last night's refeed or just additional carbs pre/during workout. We'll see next week. I videotaped that last set of squats (395x5) but I don't feel like uploading it tonight. Form kinda got ****ty and I started leaning too far forward. I've really gotta work on this on the heavier weights. I was focusing really well on the 385 and staying back on the squat but for some reason that 395 was just enough to throw a wrench in my form. Still hit damn near ATF and all reps are solid, I'll get that vid uploaded sometime this weekend.

OH, haha, ****face was in the gym again with his super power "shrugs" with ridiculous weight he couldn't handle. I just laughed and continued on. See prior story for more details.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

If you start doing the planks you talked about it might help you on the lean. It helped me on my mine signifigantly.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Looking good in here. You following an Intermittent Fasting-type cut? If so hows it working out for you?
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

lol, that's too funny. I think that guy visited my gym too. This guy was doing shrugs, with the bar behind his back, in the smith machine. He was grunting an groaning a ton with 5pps and I don't know if the bar actually even moved up and down at all. They don't even make tv shows that entertaining.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

crazy- I started doing 2, 1:00minute sets in the mornings after my ablounge work so I'm hoping that works. I also need to start hitting heavier GMs and rack pulls. I'm only getting 8 total sets for lower back per week, so I'm going to up it to 11 and throw in rack pulls after deads. Once I get my core stronger, my deads and squats will jump up nicely- provided my knees can handle it. Gonna take it a little lighter with a 10-12 rep range for the next week (starting monday) or maybe two to give myself a deload and allow the knees to heal. From past experiences, it's shown that as soon as they start hurting, I need to layoff for a week or 2 or it just gets 10x worse..

kong- yeah, I'm doing intermittent fasting style cut. It's not too bad, I take my fat burner in the morning and some caffeine in the afternoon. I either do my cardio in the am or at "lunch time" about 4x per week, every once in a while I'll do a little post-workout. My food intake is normally from 6pm until 930-10pm and the only carbs I have are 105g dextrose and 10g (from creatine) pre/during workout. any additional carbs are coming from trace carbs in my shakes or various other stuff. The cut is going real well. Since I upped the cals to 2000kcal/day on training days I've really shown a performance increase and strength is climbing again. It seems to have kickstarted my metabo as I'm getting leaner every day again. This had stalled for me before so it's good to see it melting off of me again. Bicep veins are slightly visible all the time and pop out pretty nicely while working out as well as delt veins and striations. Waist is REALLY coming in nicely and it just seems like it's a waiting game right now. 8% bodyfat... here I come!!

brute- yeah, this guy's a tool. and he's got this hardcore look on his face all the time too, I just want to smack the **** out of him and let him know it's not working! lol
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Sounds hardcore! Glad its working out for you, been thinking of trying it myself

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

kong- give it a try, it takes a few days to get used to, but it's definately paying off..

yesterday, Friday**8/08/08's blurbs:::
    AM weight:: 232lbs

0600p 4 scoops ON
    0730p 4 hamburgers
    0730p 3 slices cheese
    0730p 4 pieces string cheese
    total grams 229 22 67
    daily cals=== 1607

skipped the workout and cardio, thus the reason for lower cals. heading out for yesterday's workout right now, be back in a bit..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I wannabebig!
    slacker

yeah totally.. i skipped yesterday too.. just not feeling it, plus my back has been extra tense the last couple days.. gonna head out right now and instead of doing 5x5 deads I'll hit a higher rep range..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Im gonna as soon as my hands healed up. Dont think cutting and training sub-par due to a smashed knuckle will much for my LBM

kong- injuries suck, get that knuckle healed!

Sunday**8/10/08's blurbs:::
    AM weight:: 229.4lbs

1115a 1 scoop cellmass
    1115a 2 scoops ON
    1115A 3 scoops waxy maize
    *workout @ 12-145P*
    0200P 3 scoops ON
    0730p 20oz taco meat
    0730p 1/2 cup mexican cheese
    total grams 247 132 61
    daily cals=== 2065

deadlifts- 315x8, 315x8, 315x8, 315x8
    pulldowns- 225x10, 225x8, 225x8
    cable low rows- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
    cable pullovers- 180x12, 200x10
    rack pulls (from knee level)- 405x6, 455x5, 505x2
    seated db arnold press- 70x10, 80x9
    db side raises- 45x10, 45x10, 50x10
    cable upright rows- 160x12, 200x10
    bb floor press- 225x10, 225x10, 225x8
    cambered bar skullcrushers- 90x10, 90x10, 90x10
    one arm cable pushdowns- 50x10, 40x10, 40x10

"High rep" deads kicked my ass and the heavy rack pulls furthered it. Fantastic workout, lasted about 1hr 45mins so it was a bit longer than I wanted. Diet is back on track after a slip up with some wheat thins yesterday. I'm off to the store to get some cheese for a taco salad.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I wannabebig!
    salads are for rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    salads are for rabbits
    but it's a TACO salad with 1 1/4lb of beef and 1/2 cup cheese..

that's gotta count for something, lol.. the lettuce is just a filler..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Very good job on the progress. High rep deads are tough but boy do you get a good return on that investment haha.