Thread: new full body routine, take a look, provide valid opinions

Hybrid View

new full body routine, take a look, provide valid opinions

I am two days into a new routine that I kind of drew up myself.

Basically, I'm hitting all major muscle groups every day that I'm in the gym (upper-body only; I had knee surgery 3 months ago so I still can't do strenuous leg workouts).

Shoulders, Bi's, Tri's, Back, Chest all in the same day. Two different workouts for each muscle group, and 3 sets per workout. And I have decreased weight about 10-20 percent for each workout so that I can increase my reps.

So, by the end of the week I will end up getting in all the same workouts, but will be working each muscle every day, just not to the excessive nature that I was before.

Any input? So far it seems great. Two days in a row I've done 10-15 reps on every workout without a problem.

Also, I'm cutting out the Creatine for an indefinite period of time, because I've been on it for almost 2 years straight.

Also note that I am switching the workouts from day to day.

For instance, yesterday on chest I did flat dumbells and incline fly's. And today I did decline barbell and flat fly's.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bradatlsu View Post
    Also note that I am switching the workouts from day to day.

For instance, yesterday on chest I did flat dumbells and incline fly's. And today I did decline barbell and flat fly's.
    Why are you "switching"?

What are your goals for this routine?

so, whats the actual workout like?
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Here's a quote from Charles Poliquin...

"I do not know anyone successful in the strength coaching business who uses full body routines exclusively. In bodybuilding, I don't think Ronnie Coleman trains whole body three days a week. I've never known a successful bodybuilder, even the low set guys like Dorian Yates, to do whole body training. Every single Olympian I've trained used split routines."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post

"I do not know anyone successful in the strength coaching business who uses full body routines exclusively. In bodybuilding, I don't think Ronnie Coleman trains whole body three days a week. I've never known a successful bodybuilder, even the low set guys like Dorian Yates, to do whole body training. Every single Olympian I've trained used split routines."

Olympian bodybuilders tend to be genetically superior to the average person. They also tend to use large quantities of steroids and other drugs.

How they train is not really applicable to the average person. Principles used by the elite (in general) are not necessarily what got them to the elite level.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post

Keyword from first sentence: exclusively.

Using the others is a bad example, because those are/were two guys at the top of their games.

I've said this a few times before, and I think it warrants repeating in the face of the quoted piece. The vast majority of the users of this board are not professional bodybuilders. So why look to the professional bodybuilders' routines for guidance? They are doing what is best for them at their current physical state. What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

If I wanted to ride in the Tour de France, I wouldn't all of a sudden adopt the training regimen of Jan Ullrich or Lance Armstrong. If I wanted to be an architect, I would not start off trying to design a 23-story high-rise multiple use complex.

The question shouldn't be "what do these world-class athletes do to train every day/week/month?" It should be "what did these guys do when they were at my stage to eventually get to the next level with an eye to becoming that world-class athlete?"

That said, to the OP:

How many days are you working out. It may be trite, but it's true. You grow OUTSIDE the gym, not inside. Why sacrifice weight in order to achieve reps? You could adopt a push/pull "split" that you do 4 days a week: 1) push, 2) pull, 3) off, 4) push, 5) pull, 6,7) off. This gives you at least three days off between hitting a group again, and everything gets hit twice and you get plenty of rest.
    Last edited by BG5150; 03-26-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Hey fellas I really appreciate all the advice.

My goal in this is to drop some body weight, and maybe end up sacrificing some strength if that is necessary. I'm currently just under 6'4'' and about 202. I want to get really lean, down to about 190. And when I get to 190 I'd like to begin building some mass again, but with a leaner platform, if that makes any sense. My strength has been simply holding steady for about 4 months now, despite a good diet and dedication.

Old routine was to divide CHEST, BACK, BI'S TRI'S, and SHOULDERS into their own days. And about 4-7 workouts per muscle group with higher weight and lower reps.

And yes, my approach could be all wrong, but here's the new plan

In parentheses is the weight I was using when I was acheiving 8 reps MAX on each set.

Dumbell shoulder press 3x12-14 with 60 (75)
    Arnold press 3x12-14 with 45 (55)

Flat dumbell chest press 3x12-14 with 75 (90 or 95)
    Flat fly 3x12-14 with 40 (45)

Wide grip seated row 3x10-12 with 140 (165)
    Pull-ups 3x8-9

Seated barbell preacher curl 3x10 with 75 (85)
    Standing dumbell hammer curl 3x10 with 40 (this is new)

Skull Crushers 3x14-16 with 70 (90)
    Dips 3x14-16 (weighted with 25 or 30 pounds extra)

Then some abs, then jogging as much as my knee will allow.

Again my goal is to lose some body fat and get really freakin' lean. Then I want to build back up and hopefully keep most of the body fat off.

What do you guys think? It's ok to be honest!
    Last edited by bradatlsu; 03-26-2008 at 04:55 PM.

So, by the end of the week I will end up getting in all the same workouts, but will be working each muscle every day, just not to the excessive nature that I was before.

Muscles grow from rest, not from continuous strain. If you're hitting, say, chest every day, your chest is not going to grow because it has no time to repair itself.

Bad idea.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Starting all over again :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Muscles grow from rest, not from continuous strain. If you're hitting, say, chest every day, your chest is not going to grow because it has no time to repair itself.

Bad idea.
    ive always thought this...but I have a buddy that does a whole routine 5 days a week, and he's a pretty big.

What explains this? is it just genetics?

You're routine sounds less than optimal. Why don't you post exactly what you do?

Oh, I am also cutting out the creatine during all this. Was using mono or cell mass for almost a year straight, so hopefully that will help me drop some body weight too.

K guys I typed up the routine in a little more detail. Still looking for some feedback...

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    If you want to get lean, then that is all about diet. No matter what your workout routine is like, you will have to reduce calories to see a reduction in body fat.

And your routine could use some changes:

Don't do shoulders before chest.

Don't do flyes.

Don't do wide-grip.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-27-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    If you want to get lean, then that is all about diet. No matter what your workout routine is like, you will have to reduce calories to see a reduction in body fat.

And your routine could use some changes:

Don't do shoulders before chest.

Don't do flyes.

Don't do wide-grip.
    K gotcha. I guess I understand the shoulders before chest because it's going to tax my triceps, and overall energy. But what about the no fly workouts? Those help my balance tremendously for incline dumbell and flat dumbell.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    K gotcha. I guess I understand the shoulders before chest because it's going to tax my triceps, and overall energy. But what about the no fly workouts? Those help my balance tremendously for incline dumbell and flat dumbell.

Generally speaking flyes are neither a good strength builder nor a mass builder. If you are trying to develop your chest, there are significantly better alternatives. Your balance will improve over time. Just don't go too heavy at first and things should work out fine.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-27-2008 at 09:48 PM.