The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

i'm skinnyfat..... very skinnyfat... need help :(

Ok basically in a nutshell..... I used to be around 230 lbs a few years back (senior year of high school).. i crash dieted down to around 175ish in 4 months.. (yes, it was incredibly STUPID of me..)

anyways, i've been yo yo dieting on and off since then and since this past summer I started to eat more healthily at about 1700 calories a day... anyways now I've come to realize that I'm skinnyfat, and that I must eat more and lift in order to lose this extra fat around my midsection. I currently have about 2100 calories on upper body days, and 2000 calories on leg days + cardio + nonworkout days.

anyways, this past january I looked like this while eating only 1700 calories and doing HIIT most days with weight machines: : /
    (first pic attached)

sorry if I blinded you...

I started to eat about 2100 calories starting a few weeks ago plus I've been following a lifting routine (upper/lower body split) and doing HIIT 3 days a week..

this is from today:
    (2nd pic attached)

I've done a great deal of research online and people say that to overcome 'skinnyfat' one must start eating more clean foods while lifting heavy each day..

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and this is my current meal plan I follow everyday:
    ( i cut out the last snack on non- upper body days)

breakfast: (11 am)

steel cut oats- 150
    banana- 105

--------------------------------

preworkout (1pm)

1/2 cup of low fat milk- 40
    ON 100% Whey protein - 120

postworkout (2:30 pm)
    1/2 cup of low fat milk- 40
    ON 100% Whey protein - 120

lunch (3pm)
    whole wheat pita- 80
    veggie burger- 120
    spicy mustard- 0
    lettuce- 0
    moong daal - 260

snack (4pm)
    almonds (24) - 164
    flaxseed capsule - 10

4 eggwhites - 120
    virgin oil - 70
    1/4 cup brown rice- 170
    1/2 cup cottage cheese -90

falafel mix - 110
    olive oil - 70
    cottage cheese (1 cup) -180

-------------------------------

flaxseed capsule - 10
    almonds- 105
    -------------------------------

And my workout:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

3 sets of 8-12:

Dumbbell Bench Press
    Dumbbell bent over row
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press

2 sets of 8-12:
    Bicep Curls
    Hammer curls
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Overhead tricep extensions

Wednesday/Saturday
    20 minutes of HIIT (elliptical)

Tuesday/Thursday
    3 sets of 8-12:

Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Romanian Deadlift (Dumbbells)

Is my current plan workout + diet going to give me results? I'm reallly looking to lose some of this fat by August. I seriously get depressed just looking in the mirror.

.. I do have dedication to whatever it is I do, but I want to make sure that I see good results in the end.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rxghost; 03-24-2008 at 07:40 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

lots of dumbell stuff, no barbell?
    a routine you can follow is this: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.ph...id=25&pageid=2

great routine, twill help bunches.

yes crash dieting i do believe 'screwed up' your metabolism , as you might have noticed. glad to see though that you, unlike average educated people, know that eating more can speed up and restore your metablosim and help burn calories. as far as i see your diet looks pretty good. but the routine could use a huge boost. so try the routine i posted.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Wannabebig New Member
    tbh, i don't feel comfortable using barbells for squats or deadlifts yet.. i understand that they are far superior over dumbbells but I don't have a spotter and I don't want to do any kind of damage to my back or neck..

would i still see results using only dumbbells.. i'm lifting pretty heavy (as heavy as i can go) using the dumbbells..
    Last edited by rxghost; 03-24-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Banned
    What is the macro breakdown (grams of fat, protein and carbs) of what you're eating?
    I also have a sneaking suspicion that you aren't lifting heavy enough. Are you struggling towards the end of your sets?

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    What is the macro breakdown (grams of fat, protein and carbs) of what you're eating?
    I also have a sneaking suspicion that you aren't lifting heavy enough. Are you struggling towards the end of your sets?

i'm not really counting my macros... just making sure i get tons of protein and I've cut out alot of the junk I used to have.. most of my intake is currently dairy products..nuts, and lentils.

My diet used to be really ****ty (a lot of frozen dinners, etc... so I'm sure this is a huge step up from that).

yes i do struggle at the end of my sets.. i'm actually REALLY weak tbh. For example, I find myself struggling at 25 lbs dumbbells (total of 50 lbs) on my third set during bench press. But most of the exercises I'm doing range from 25-30 lb dumbbells.. I make sure that I try to go as high as I can each time I go to workout.
    Last edited by rxghost; 03-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rxghost View Post
    tbh, i don't feel comfortable using barbells for squats or deadlifts yet.. i understand that they are far superior over dumbbells but I don't have a spotter and I don't want to do any kind of damage to my back or neck..

would i still see results using only dumbbells.. i'm lifting pretty heavy (as heavy as i can go) using the dumbbells..
    Don't take this the wrong way, but as long as you're scared of lifting heavy (or at least trying) you will just end up frustrated with your lack of change. What you're doing is better than being completely sedentary, but if you give it a try you might surprise yourself.

I didn't feel all that "comfortable" myself when I started lifting again in December '07. I work out alone at a commercial gym where almost no one squats or deadlifts, and when I started I hadn't been in a weight room since high school (where I had spotters and a coach and all that). But I just did it anyway, by myself but with the help of the good people here at WBB, and I'm making progress. I haven't hurt myself and haven't really even come close.

For squats, if you belong to a gym you can squat in the squat or power rack where they have pins to catch the bar if you can't get back up. It's safe if you're just smart about it. If you try to pick up the weight on deadlift and it feels wrong, you just let go. It's safe if you're just smart about it. For bench you can do that in the power rack too, and set the pins so they'll catch the bar if you can't press it back up. I have plenty of experience with that one! Not great for the ego, but no one is there to be impressed by me, and I'm not there to impress anyone.

Good luck with your goals, I hope you reconsider the full-body barbell options available to you. You've taken a step in the right direction, but you're just scratching the surface of what you could be capable of.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.

so you might feel comfortable eventually?
    i can relate. just about a month or two ago, i got a new 300lb barbell set and experienced heavy deadlifting and squating for the first time. i do this all alone in my basement, no spotters. same with bench press. tho the way to do it is to seriously know your limits, stop when you have to so you dont get stuck under the bar, yet lift heavy enough to make it count. so you should try a bar out sometime.
    dumbbells are like barbells, just not connected. of course you can see results, just you can probably get greater results from barbells.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but as long as you're scared of lifting heavy (or at least trying) you will just end up frustrated with your lack of change. What you're doing is better than being completely sedentary, but if you give it a try you might surprise yourself.

I didn't feel all that "comfortable" myself when I started lifting again in December '07. I work out alone at a commercial gym where almost no one squats or deadlifts, and when I started I hadn't been in a weight room since high school (where I had spotters and a coach and all that). But I just did it anyway, by myself but with the help of the good people here at WBB, and I'm making progress. I haven't hurt myself and haven't really even come close.

For squats, if you belong to a gym you can squat in the squat or power rack where they have pins to catch the bar if you can't get back up. It's safe if you're just smart about it. If you try to pick up the weight on deadlift and it feels wrong, you just let go. It's safe if you're just smart about it. For bench you can do that in the power rack too, and set the pins so they'll catch the bar if you can't press it back up. I have plenty of experience with that one! Not great for the ego, but no one is there to be impressed by me, and I'm not there to impress anyone.

Good luck with your goals, I hope you reconsider the full-body barbell options available to you. You've taken a step in the right direction, but you're just scratching the surface of what you could be capable of.
    hey man thanks for the advice!! today i went to the gym and went under the barbell! those safety locks really help! I was a bit nervous, but all went ok! for squats i did about 4-5 sets of 70-90 lbs and I'm pretty sure my form was ok... but now I have this soreness in my back and in my shoulder blades.. is this normal? i'll have to watch some videos of people doing it properly for thursday's workout...

next i went to do the deadlift.. i didn't want to **** around with this so i asked someone for help.. he showed me proper form.. and I think I got it down... only did it with the bar for a few sets and then added on 10 lbs to each side.. i think my form is ok for now.

did lunges afterwards with dumbbells...

anyways, am I supposed to feel soreness in my back? for deadlifts i did feel it in my hamstrings... but for squats I didn't really feel anything in my legs.

nonetheless, I'm very excited... !
    Last edited by rxghost; 03-25-2008 at 02:20 PM.

hey man thanks for the advice!! today i went to the gym and went under the barbell! those safety locks really help! I was a bit nervous, but all went ok! for squats i did about 4-5 sets of 70-90 lbs and I'm pretty sure my form was ok... but now I have this soreness in my back and in my shoulder blades.. is this normal? i'll have to watch some videos of people doing it properly for thursday's workout...

next i went to do the deadlift.. i didn't want to **** around with this so i asked someone for help.. he showed me proper form.. and I think I got it down... only did it with the bar for a few sets and then added on 10 lbs to each side.. i think my form is ok for now.

did lunges afterwards with dumbbells...

anyways, am I supposed to feel soreness in my back? for deadlifts i did feel it in my hamstrings... but for squats I didn't really feel anything in my legs.

nonetheless, I'm very excited... !
    Awesome, I'm glad you went after it right away. Soreness after squats in your shoulders is normal for just starting out on squats. Make sure you're squeezing your shoulderblades together as much as possible so your traps bunch up and provide a nice surface for the bar to rest on, and the soreness will go away as you get used to it. As for your back, that's probably not so good. Check out Sensei's Squat Rx videos, starting with #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

These videos have helped me and many others at WBB with problems during the squat. If you have back soreness, you may have a problem with keeping your back straight at the bottom of the movement. Keep the weight lower until you're sure your form is pretty good. From my own experience heavier weight makes form problems exponentially worse, so it's better to iron that stuff out now. You should definitely feel it in your legs and not your back, so keep at it.

Deads are a piece of cake once you get used to them, IMO. Keep your back straight, your chest pushed up and out, when you start the pull, pull up AND back, and drag the bar along your shins and thighs so as to keep the bar as close to your body as possible on the way up. This will eventually result in some bloody shins, so you might consider wearing pants on DL day. Your lower back might feel some soreness from DLs, but be sure it's just soreness and not pain.

See this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxim0YXr90 , for a few tips on deadlift technique.

Do you have a journal yet in the Online Journals section? Consider making one, the support you'll get from others is nice, and you can also learn a lot from reading and commenting in other people's journals yourself.