Thread: HELP please-Tennis elbow

HELP please-Tennis elbow

Doctor asked me what my history was for sports and such.
    I told him I used to be a quarter back and a pitcher many moons ago. I also still pitch hundreds of balls a practice throwing to my little league team I coach.
    Heís say, I knew it. That where your tennis elbow is from.
    Great work doc. Problem is I throw with my right arm and the pain is in my left.

That was last year. He nails me with a cortisone shot and tells me to ice it. This works and after a little therapy no more pain.

Itís now back. I can grab the curl bar with a hundred lbs on it and feel no pain. Try to do a hammer curl with 20 and I canít hold onto the bar. KILLS!

I have a half dozen diff arm wraps with bubbles and such from the doc. They donít help. The pain is on my forearm up on the outside near my elbow. Ice, anti inflammatory, and rest seem to be the only thing that helps now.

Hard to rest your arm while wanting to workout. Any suggestions as to what bring this on and how to prevent it? Iím not maxing out on weights because of rotor cuff issues so itís not from pushing too much.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

brings back memories i too had tennis elbow for a year and a half also in the other arm golfers elbow thats the inner part of the arm. Rest is the cure but i strapped arm up and did not do exercises that aggrevated the arm. I did pull ups with arms facing towards me on a bar also lifted with palms down for a while. I still did weights tho so adapt your exercises, hope this helps ps see a sports coach mine did dry needling that helped

a few things

Rest and ice will help, but that doesn't seem like an option for you, and rest was not an option for me either, as I had tendonitis in both elbows very bad. I tried,
    ART, massage, accupuncture, chiropractic, ice, electric stim, motrin, cortizone.
    Then I tried ultrasound with electric stim. worked like a charm. it did take about 8-10 sessions, but it was the only thing that worked and allowed me to continue training.

Iron4Life
    I just got over a bad case of Tennis elbow... just short of getting the steroids injected into the elbow..

I agree with Ryan.. Ultrasound w/electric stimulation worked... but it was combined with massage and light-weight rehab... these sessions last about 40 mins with a Physical Therispt.. 14 weeks of this, combined with a high dose of Ibuprofen 3 times daily... and ice after each PT session..

And the weeks 7-9 of that 14 weeks, I did no gripping... my workouts were limited to squats.. any pressing exercises were done on machines where I could get away with using an open hand on one side at a time... and no DL'ing, just medium weight GMs (with hooks) for back work.. and lots of ice after each workout

Now, it's a matter of rehab...
    lots of 2-5 lb wrist curls and twists... all directions... 20-50 reps sets... 3 times a week...

BUT the absolute best rehab exercise is to work the extensors by using a rubber band, a thick rubber band or many rubber bands around the fingers and opening your hand, spreading your fingers as wide as possible. It's one thing that most lifters never use. MMA used buckets of sand - punch your fist into the sand and spread the fingers. Hi-rep sets initially... and then after the pain is gone, do both hi-rep rehab and heavy band low reps to build strength.

You can get rid of TE... as long as you are diligent and consisitant...
    I failed miserably on my first 6 week cycle.. b/c I didn't want to stop gripping things and doing PT consistanly...

The following 8 week cycle was successful b/c I stuck to the program...
    REST, Rehab, ICE, Ibuprofen (for a while).... and don't forget your fish oils...
    Try to stay away from getting the steroids injecting into your elbow - this weakens the tendons... and if you do any gripping within weeks of that shot, you have a good chance of permenant damage to your tendons.

BTW... the hardest part of this program... is if you have a manual labor job where you have to grip stuff all day long. Rest then is almost impossible. I've been lucky to have a computer job... no gripping..

Good Luck...
    Last edited by Bob; 03-27-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    Rest and ice will help, but that doesn't seem like an option for you.

We have a doctorís office in my company and a chiropractor comes in twice a week. I stopped in to see the doc and ran into the chiropractor that helped me out with some back pain last year. We talked for a minute and he explained the fastest way especially for me who will not rest it is the electrical stimulant. He said working the hell out of that area will push out the bad stuff and speed recovery. So a 30 dollar co pay later I was twitching like a freak taking the most he could juice me.

I couldnít believe how 99 percent of the pain was gone immediately. This after spending so much time, energy, and money on rehab, bans and crap from the last time. He said I should ice 3 times a day for 15 minutes and no more. Something about your body triggers a frost bite chemical after prolonged periods of cold. One more time getting zapped this Friday and I should be good to go.

I HIGHLY recommend this treatment for anyone suffering from tennis elbow.

Thank you people.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Angler View Post
    We have a doctorís office in my company and a chiropractor comes in twice a week. I stopped in to see the doc and ran into the chiropractor that helped me out with some back pain last year. We talked for a minute and he explained the fastest way especially for me who will not rest it is the electrical stimulant. He said working the hell out of that area will push out the bad stuff and speed recovery. So a 30 dollar co pay later I was twitching like a freak taking the most he could juice me.

I couldnít believe how 99 percent of the pain was gone immediately. This after spending so much time, energy, and money on rehab, bans and crap from the last time. He said I should ice 3 times a day for 15 minutes and no more. Something about your body triggers a frost bite chemical after prolonged periods of cold. One more time getting zapped this Friday and I should be good to go.

I HIGHLY recommend this treatment for anyone suffering from tennis elbow.

Thank you people.

Jay
    Ask for ultra sound with the stim!! big difference.

I heard (what I think) is a good joke about tennis elbow:

Mr. Howard has had a personal physician for years, but over the years, the doc has been using more and more unconventional methods to diagnose illnesses and such. Lately it has been pee.

Mr. Howard went in because he had headaches. The doc told him to pee in a cup. A day later he prescribed some migraine medicine. A few weeks later, he came in with a stomach ache. Doc told him to pee in a cup and the next day he prescribed some antibiotics. This winter, Mr. Howard went in with what he thought was the flu. Yep, again he had to pee in a cup and the next day the Doc gave him Flu medicine.

Just recently, though, Mr. Howard went to Doc complaining of what he thought was tennis elbow. The Doc was going to have him pee in the cup, but Mr. Howard thought to himself: "I think this guy is a quack--peeing in a cup for an elbow injury." So, he told the doctor he didn't have to pee, but he would bring a sample by later to use. "Ok" said the Doc.

Mr. Howard went home and said to himself, "I'll show up this doc yet." So, he peed a little in the cup, had his 14 yr-old daughter do it, too. Even put some of his dog's pee in there. And to top it off, he took a bit of motor oil off the dipstick of his car and put it in there. He gave it a good shake and was off to the Doc's.

At the last minute, he decided to whack off and put some semen in there, too.

Well, when the doctor called the next day, Mr. Howard said, "So, Doc. What seems to be wrong with me," gloating inside.

The good doctor replied: "Mr. Howard, your dog has worms, your car needs its oil changed, your daughter is pregnant and if you stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will go away."
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.