Thread: "Stretched out" stomach from drinking?

"Stretched out" stomach from drinking?

I've heard that if you eat a lot, your stomach will stretch itself. Then, after a while, it will take more to fill you up, thus you will eat more than you normally would and gain weight.

Would the same thing happen if you drink a lot? I am constantly drinking water and tea and other stuff. Would all that fluid stretch my stomach, so that when I ate, it would take more to fill me up?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    possibly. your stomach doesn't expand like a balloon, it unfolds like an accordion. I think food would work better.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

I don't see it happening unless you drink large amounts of water very very fast. Liquids go through your system pretty fast, I don't see large amounts staying in your stomach long enough to stretch it.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Doubtful. Water and other liquids likely wouldn't result in the same amount of "mass effect" as a solid. Just my educated guess....
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

possibly. your stomach doesn't expand like a balloon, it unfolds like an accordion. I think food would work better.
    I'm not sure I can imagine how a J shaped sac like structure would unfold like an accordion.

I'm fairly certain it does infact expand much like a balloon. Gasses, food, liquids and air account for the increase in overall size.

Anyway, I don't believe it would be possible to literally "stretch" your stomach out with liquids. The digestion rate is far too high. I would assume you are more likely to suffer from hyponatremia before you could "stretch" out your stomach to such an extent.

Of course, I'm talking about drinking quite a large amount of liquids in a very short time. This would be the only way conceivable for such "stretching" to occur. Again though, I don't believe it to be possible in any case.
    Last edited by Trevor M.; 03-27-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen

Wannabebig Member
    Drinking large amounts of liquids will stretch the stomach.in doubt? Look no further than the regular beer drinker.

Quote Originally Posted by rod crowley View Post
    Drinking large amounts of liquids will stretch the stomach.in doubt? Look no further than the regular beer drinker.
    That's from storing worthless calories as fat. Water has no calories, you don't gain bf% from water, you just piss a lot. It's also not a safe idea to chug a ton of water.

To BG5150: Habit is the key to diet, no gimmicks to it. Just man up and do what you need to do. =P
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Once you've reached an adult age your stomach doesn't change sizes.

Just cause some fat guy has a beer gut doesn't mean he has this huge stomach in there - he just has a high BF %.

To save us from a future thread: Learning more doesn't make your head bigger either.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.