The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dieting With the Fiance!?!

Hello all, here's a quick synopsis, we're getting married in August then going to Arizona for our honeymoon, so with Summer, the wedding and a honeymoon coming up, it's that time to lose weight.

I'm 24 and have been working out for 10 years, and I've learned what's good for my body and other male friends, same age, and same goals, so I have usually been good with getting other males into shape. I never get over weight so when I drop weight I just up the cardio and watch what I eat.

But my question is to those who are more familiar with the weight losing game, and maybe more so with women, not only does my fiance want 2 drop weight, my mom (mid 50's) and 2 sisters (26 and 28)

I'm very comfortable with what diets to make for a male, but I'm trying to make diets for 4 females, who most weigh much less than myself. I intend on making a diet plan that will follow an outline like this...

Mon/T/W/Thur- will be lower carbohydrate days, but I've found with my fiance it's hard for her to get under 150 grams of carbs a day (Discipline I believe), she eats a lot of carbs, and my mom said that's a problem of hers also. I really can't think of a proper % breakdown of Fat/Pro/Carb, but I think something like
    50% Protein 20% Carbs 30% Fat, right under 2000 cals a day, for most of them weighing 140-165 pounds.

Fri/Sat/Sun- I tell them they are allowed more lee way with what they eat, more carbs, but to watch the fat, meaning more lean meats. Not sure of what Ratio, but I'd say maybe...
    50% Pro 10-15% Fat 35% Carbs

These ladies are not workout addicts, they just want to drop weight. And I don't want to over due it with a very very strict diet for them to follow, cuz they probably won't be on the wagon for long then.

My mom and sisters were doing a ROTATING DIET, which had them eatting maybe 1000 cals 1 day and then upping it a few hundred cals every few days and dropping down again, I just didn't like the looks of their diet, so I said I'd draw something up.

I'm going to make some outline diets for them to follow, but I know I can't keep them on a low carb diet for the whole week, cuz they won't stick with it.

So is the idea of Lower Carbs from Mon-Thurs and then Lower Fats Fri-Sun an alright idea to base these diets around?

Edit: I have checked out fitday.com (useful) and searched the diet forum, but didn't really find what I was looking for to use.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-28-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Would they be willing to actually get on this site themselves and get in touch with Built or some of the other really smart ladies around here?

I've just learned that people say they want to lose weight but rarely do anything to actually lose it. Sorry to be a pessimist. I just don't want this to cause problems for you in the future cuz you're the middle man.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26 View Post
    I've just learned that people say they want to lose weight but rarely do anything to actually lose it. Sorry to be a pessimist. I just don't want this to cause problems for you in the future cuz you're the middle man.
    Oh man that is to true. It's funny looking at the difference between the fiance and I, both of us living under the same roof, and on my low carb days, I can stay under 50 grams of Carbs and am still eatting high protein and working out, and I'm seeing positive results, and she's starting to complain about not eatting certain things and not getting great results, and I'm thinking the proof is in the pudding, but she questioned if what I'm doing should be what she is doing, so that's where I questioned myself.

I'm not worried if my family members stick with the diet or not, and there won't be many problems between us, so I'm not worried about that problem. I'm just trying to make something simple enough for them to follow, my mom was telling me she was eatting carrot and green pepper sticks, and I said oh hell that sounds like complete crap, so I wanted to help out, I'll make a strong attempt to help them, and if they don't use it, then hey they better not ever ask for my help again.

Who are some of the females on here that are knowledgeable fitness females? I'll look into some of their old posts, you said BUILT right, spelled that same way? I'll look here up. Thanks

yeah, look up Built, bbb, lynnlynn (spelling?). Of course some of them may recommend weightlifting to increase the muscle mass and really boost the metabolism.

My girlfriend has been going to the gym and I try to lead by example. I think she looks great now and she is tiny compared to me (especially when i see us in a mirror -lol).

You're on the right track, but I'm not sure why you are cycling carbs when they aren't working out. The carb cycling usually is in relation to workout days. More carbs on workout days. That's pretty much it.

Just try to make it something they'll enjoy. Once thye enjoy the process, they'lll stick with it and get better at it. Also lead by example. Get that six pack and all that good stuff and they'll probably be wanting to change even more. We tend to want to emulate those who are around us.

As you know, lastly just offer the advice and then forget about it. If you nag they'll stop doing it.

...just my two cents that you probably already know!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

My fiance actually lifts and workouts, I'm not sure about my family. I assume they at least do some carbs, I was just throwing out the low carb days, to in essence make up for the fact I'm sure they will eat worse on the weekends, they don't truely comprehend the whole aspect of diet, my sister still drinks beer.

My aunt jokingly asked if I could make her a diet, but if it involved cutting out beer, then to forget it, she knows what you have to do, but doesn't really stress it.

Most average people looking to lose weight, it is hard to follow a serious diet and workout regime, so I'm trying to only make them be strict for those 4 days, and then they have more lee way for the weekends, I'm not having them cycle carbs in the way that I do, but I know they couldn't follow a low carb diet for 1 month straight.

I'm reading through Built's Blog and checking out what she has responded to in the past, I actually found one Thread that is what I'm looking for.

Built has a 6 pack, I've seen her avatar before and didn't realize it was a female!!

Thanks for leading me to the right female to read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post

Built has a 6 pack, I've seen her avatar before and didn't realize it was a female!!
    Built has fooled many a poster with her cropped avatar pic (including me).

Hello all, here's a quick synopsis, we're getting married in August then going to Arizona for our honeymoon, so with Summer, the wedding and a honeymoon coming up, it's that time to lose weight.
    It's always great to have a reason to concentrate the mind on a task - and a wedding is as good as any! Congratulations!

I'm 24 and have been working out for 10 years, and I've learned what's good for my body and other male friends, same age, and same goals, so I have usually been good with getting other males into shape. I never get over weight so when I drop weight I just up the cardio and watch what I eat.

But my question is to those who are more familiar with the weight losing game, and maybe more so with women, not only does my fiance want 2 drop weight, my mom (mid 50's) and 2 sisters (26 and 28)

I'm very comfortable with what diets to make for a male, but I'm trying to make diets for 4 females, who most weigh much less than myself. I intend on making a diet plan that will follow an outline like this...

Mon/T/W/Thur- will be lower carbohydrate days, but I've found with my fiance it's hard for her to get under 150 grams of carbs a day (Discipline I believe), she eats a lot of carbs, and my mom said that's a problem of hers also. I really can't think of a proper % breakdown of Fat/Pro/Carb, but I think something like
    50% Protein 20% Carbs 30% Fat, right under 2000 cals a day, for most of them weighing 140-165 pounds.
    You're having trouble because percentages are not the right approach.

Think LBM-targeted doses:

Protein: no less than a gram per pound LBM
    Fat: no less than half a gram per pound LBM
    Carb: doesn't matter
    Fibre: 25g per day

Don't know their LBM? No problem.

Ask each woman what weight she would be tomorrow if she could snap her fingers and be the "perfect" weight for her - not the "I'd settle for" weight but the "pipe dream" weight. Take 80% of this as her lean mass. It'll be close enough for this exercise. (most women's "pipe dream" weight puts them at around 20% bodyfat)

So, if your GF's "pipe dream" weight is 125 lbs. Well, 80% of that is 100 - so assume 100 lbs of lean mass.

Make sure protein is at least 100g and fat is at least 50g per day.
    Now - the calories - that one's trickier. The best way to find it is to track for a few days, see what "average" is and drop this figure by 15-20% for a nice slow cut. There ARE calculators that perform this function, but they are set for population averages, not individuals. You can use them for a ballpark starting point and adjust if she just will not track - but fitday her foods regardless. She'll need to adjust as she moves through this process.

Fri/Sat/Sun- I tell them they are allowed more lee way with what they eat, more carbs, but to watch the fat, meaning more lean meats. Not sure of what Ratio, but I'd say maybe...
    50% Pro 10-15% Fat 35% Carbs
    Women suck at handling carbs. We do better on lower carbs and higher protein and fat. We're collecively insulin resistant owing to estrogen and progesterone. I'm not saying "don't eat any carbs" - but I AM saying a low fat, higher carb diet will tend to make a woman freakishly hungry - and render dieting damned-near impossible.

These ladies are not workout addicts, they just want to drop weight. And I don't want to over due it with a very very strict diet for them to follow, cuz they probably won't be on the wagon for long then.

My mom and sisters were doing a ROTATING DIET, which had them eatting maybe 1000 cals 1 day and then upping it a few hundred cals every few days and dropping down again, I just didn't like the looks of their diet, so I said I'd draw something up.
    I'm doing a version of this myself - but the low days are PSMF days. It's the only way to really do this type of diet safely and sanely.

By the way, lifting may add muscle in a caloric surplus - but in a deficit, it serves to simply MAINTAIN muscle. Besides, women suck at putting on muscle, even in a surplus. While dieting, workouts should be kept to a minimum anyway - short and heavy, not too much cardio.

I'm going to make some outline diets for them to follow, but I know I can't keep them on a low carb diet for the whole week, cuz they won't stick with it.
    They need fats. And fibre.

So is the idea of Lower Carbs from Mon-Thurs and then Lower Fats Fri-Sun an alright idea to base these diets around?

Edit: I have checked out fitday.com (useful) and searched the diet forum, but didn't really find what I was looking for to use.
    Can you tell me more about how they eat now? What kind of training are they doing currently?

i know this thread isn't for me, but thanks Built. I learned things today! THE MORE YOU KNOW!.....
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Built, thanks for responding, and after Mick told me to look you up, I started clicking the links under your name, and I'm trying to get some ideas.

Well it's good to know maybe I shouldn't have the ladies do the same thing as me.

I know more of what my fiance eats, and not much about my mom and sisters, but here is a breakdown of what my fiance is eatting recently...

Between 8- Noon
    Ensure Shake, but we're replacing it with a Desinger Whey shake.
    Oatmeal
    Fiber 1 bar or a Nutri Grain bar

Lunch 2 PM
    Sandwich, with lunch meats and a Soup

Early Evening
    Another shake, or oatmeal

Dinner 11 PM
    Meat, Veggies, and a small carb

I've told her other things to eat, but I'm not quite sure if she's eatting them, I told her yogurt, peanuts, or adding a little more fat, like an egg in a salad or some cheese, I'm working 3-11, so we eat dinner right before bed, so I try to minimize carbs then, I know she needs to eat a little more.

What she ate one day equalled this roughly..

1,500 Calories 75 g Pro 180 g Carbs 40 g Fat, I immediately noticed she needed more protein, so that's where adding the real Protein shake and not just an ensure shake came in. I also wanted her to eat more fat some how, but with the carbs I wasn't sure, i was just trying to get her to limit them.

It's more difficult, cuz I know my body and what I can eat, I can eat the same thing day in and day out, I'm not a picky eatter, and that's hard to adjust 2 her. I've learned how to eat like a person who works out regularly over the years, and you have to compromise some of your eatting to get results.

My fiance was the type to not eat in the mornings and I told her she needs to and she started eatting oatmeal, and something else at work, and she was saying she was hungrier, and I told her if you are just eatting straight Carbs like oatmeal, it will just fuel her to want to eat more.

So I was trying to think of something quick she can eat that has some fat and protein in it, I told her eggs and some sort of meat should be good, but she can't eat a big meal, she works 8-1 at a bank, so she doesn't have much sit down time at work, so that's why she eats or drinks something quick.

For breakfast would something like an egg and bacon sandwich, or eggs and some meat with some toast be good and then have her sip on the protein shake at work?? Should the Shake contain more fat, cuz the Designer Whey is a basic all protein shake, but she adds milk to hers, cuz she can't do the powder and water.

From what you said with the carbs though it makes sense, she likes to eat them, and when she started eatting the Carbs in the morning she talked about starving by the time she's home, and she only works 5 hours.

I'm still reading through your blogs, the Got Built one, is my focus now.

I assume that you have posted diets and foods before in previous threads, any specific ones you would recommend to read for sample diets or foods to eat.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-28-2008 at 11:20 AM.

My fiance actually uses some weights, her focus was legs, so I have her do a combination of Squats, Lunges and Straight Leg Deadlifts.

She is still the type to think if she works out other bodyparts that she'll bulk up, but I tell her it won't happen like that.

She'll do some chest exercises also, and abs, along with one of those cardio vidoes.

Should I encourage her to do more of an overal body workout?

My mom's and sisters I'm sure they just do the basic cardio videos, and try 2 walk more, that's probably all, none of them actually use free weights, well maybe those small 5-8 pound DB's.

I'm going to use your meals of Proteins and Fats throughout the day and then the Protein and Carbs meal when needed.

I'll have to take some time to try and devise a diet incorporating what I've read from your postings, and we'll see what I come up with.

Now if we can only make the diet taste good, convenient and the weightlifting easy....all while we watch TV.
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Built, thanks for responding, and after Mick told me to look you up, I started clicking the links under your name, and I'm trying to get some ideas.

Well it's good to know maybe I shouldn't have the ladies do the same thing as me.

I know more of what my fiance eats, and not much about my mom and sisters, but here is a breakdown of what my fiance is eating recently...

Between 8- Noon
    Ensure Shake, but we're replacing it with a Desinger Whey shake.
    Oatmeal
    Fiber 1 bar or a Nutri Grain bar

Lunch 2 PM
    Sandwich, with lunch meats and a Soup

Early Evening
    Another shake, or oatmeal

Dinner 11 PM
    Meat, Veggies, and a small carb

I've told her other things to eat, but I'm not quite sure if she's eatting them, I told her yogurt, peanuts, or adding a little more fat, like an egg in a salad or some cheese, I'm working 3-11, so we eat dinner right before bed, so I try to minimize carbs then, I know she needs to eat a little more.
    I'd actually eat the carbs at night and minimize them during the daytime. How about eggs in the AM rather than oats and a shake? Oats and a shake are not particularly satisfying. Dunno about her, but if I eat carbs in the AM I'm hungry all day, and shakes just go through me. I need solid food.

Ditch the bars. They totally blow. I'd rather see her eat half an apple and some almonds with half a cup of cottage cheese for a snack.

What she ate one day equalled this roughly..

1,500 Calories 75 g Pro 180 g Carbs 40 g Fat, I immediately noticed she needed more protein, so that's where adding the real Protein shake and not just an ensure shake came in. I also wanted her to eat more fat some how, but with the carbs I wasn't sure, i was just trying to get her to limit them.
    No set rule for carbs - but double that protein, and up the fats to at least 50g. Make sure she gets in 25g of fibre. Tell her to eat broccoli, avocado, romaine…

It's more difficult, cuz I know my body and what I can eat, I can eat the same thing day in and day out, I'm not a picky eatter, and that's hard to adjust 2 her. I've learned how to eat like a person who works out regularly over the years, and you have to compromise some of your eatting to get results.
    You do, but that's okay there are work arounds. What is her guilty pleasure - sweets, or salty-savoury foods?

My fiance was the type to not eat in the mornings and I told her she needs to and she started eatting oatmeal, and something else at work, and she was saying she was hungrier, and I told her if you are just eatting straight Carbs like oatmeal, it will just fuel her to want to eat more.
    No carbs in the AM. I can't either. She's too female and too fat for this to feel satisfying. Target the starches around (and mostly before) when she lifts, and that's it. Any other carbs are from fruits and veggies. No starches or additional sugars on non-lifting days; none on cardio-only days either.

Okay, she CAN. But it will make appetite that much harder to control.

So I was trying to think of something quick she can eat that has some fat and protein in it, I told her eggs and some sort of meat should be good, but she can't eat a big meal, she works 8-1 at a bank, so she doesn't have much sit down time at work, so that's why she eats or drinks something quick.
    Cottage cheese out of the container, handful of raw almonds, half an apple.
    For breakfast would something like an egg and bacon sandwich, or eggs and some meat with some toast be good and then have her sip on the protein shake at work?? Should the Shake contain more fat, cuz the Designer Whey is a basic all protein shake, but she adds milk to hers, cuz she can't do the powder and water.
    No shakes. How about hardboiled eggs as snacks?

From what you said with the carbs though it makes sense, she likes to eat them, and when she started eatting the Carbs in the morning she talked about starving by the time she's home, and she only works 5 hours.
    There you go.

I eat half a cup of cottage cheese, half an avocado and half a can of tuna for breakfast. Sounds weird I know, but it works - I'm full for HOURS when I eat this.

I'm still reading through your blogs, the Got Built one, is my focus now.

I assume that you have posted diets and foods before in previous threads, any specific ones you would recommend to read for sample diets or foods to eat.
    Start with lean protein sources - lowfat cottage cheese, water packed tuna, poached or baked chicken breast… add in veggies wherever she'd eat starches: ie put the innards of a sandwich into a salad, eat stew on steamed broccoli instead of with potatoes… add in fats to pad out calories: olive oil on the salad, nuts in the cottage cheese, peanut butter on apple chunks, real butter on veggies.

Small amount of starchy carbs an hour before she trains, more after if she wishes - or not. Before is the bigger deal, especially while she's still a little "juicy". After might set off hunger and then binging. Not good.

My fiance actually uses some weights, her focus was legs, so I have her do a combination of Squats, Lunges and Straight Leg Deadlifts.

She is still the type to think if she works out other bodyparts that she'll bulk up, but I tell her it won't happen like that.
    Certainly not in a deficit! Women suck at packing on muscle anyway. Last bulk I gained 18 lbs. Three were muscle. NEVER doing that again!

She'll do some chest exercises also, and abs, along with one of those cardio vidoes.
    Cardio video. <shudders>. Get her to read my cardio article. Look at Hill repeats, 8 seconds of doom, HIIT, complexes….
    Really, there's no need for cardio anyway. Save that for deeper into the cut. Just go for a walk with her after she lifts. That's all she needs for now. Good for her heart. Yours too.

Should I encourage her to do more of an overal body workout?
    Yeah. Look at "basically training".

My mom's and sisters I'm sure they just do the basic cardio videos, and try 2 walk more, that's probably all, none of them actually use free weights, well maybe those small 5-8 pound DB's.
    That's too bad. They'll never truly lean out doing this. Bummer.

I'm going to use your meals of Proteins and Fats throughout the day and then the Protein and Carbs meal when needed.

I'll have to take some time to try and devise a diet incorporating what I've read from your postings, and we'll see what I come up with.
    PM me when you have something. Remember - if she doesn't feel satisfied, she won't stick to it. Comfort is paramount.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Built has fooled many a poster with her cropped avatar pic (including me).
    Yeah, me too, I know a lot of guys with washboard abs that have their belly button pierced.

Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Yeah, me too, I know a lot of guys with washboard abs that have their belly button pierced.
    I didn't think she had one back in 2004/2005 - maybe she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    I had it pierced for my thirty-fifth birthday - June 1998.
    Well then I guess I'm just a dumbass. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Well then I guess I'm just a dumbass. LOL!
    That's what happens when ya go to UC.

Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    That's what happens when ya go to UC.

Worked for me.
    I know.