The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why do people not consider lifting a sport?

I always knew of competitive weightlifting... And I always considered it a sport. Often when I was a youngen, I would flip through the channels and see big fat men throw weight over their heads followed by a cheering crowd.

Basically everyone I speak to don't think that weightlifting is a sport. What reasons are there?

It has everything a sport has in my eyes...
    It tests ones skill, technique, physical capacity (in this case, strength), competition... The only thing I can think of that it is missing is team work... BUT I know for a fact that PLers have lifting partners who work together for the same goal. I would consider this team work.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 03-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think it's because of the idea which people believe that sport is an activity which requires cardiovascular strength, plus specific techniques for each sport.

Obviously, weightlifting requires a great amount of technique but usually, a lot of people assume it's just about moving heavy loads and nothing else.

I heard a good take on this before, it was concerning cycling though. If there isn't a defense, someone trying to stop you, it isn't a sport. I personally don't agree with this, but I can see how others would. Do you consider cycling, ice skating, or golf a sport? For even more of an extreme, what about nascar? Where do you draw the line for what is a sport and what isn't?

Personally, I think powerlifting (especially for competitors) is definitely a sport, but considering the above statement, I see how someone would view it as a hobby. They are usually the people who don't lift weights (or compete) and know very little about the discipline and commitment it takes.
    Last edited by Mike G; 03-28-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Because most people have never seen Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting. When they think of lifting, they think of some MNM-wannabe in a wife-beater doing curls w. a 30lb DB, staring at himself in a mirror, and saying grunting with every rep.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I always knew of competitive weightlifting... And I always considered it a sport. Often when I was a youngen, I would flip through the channels and see big fat men throw weight over their heads followed by a cheering crowd.

Basically everyone I speak to don't think that weightlifting is a sport. What reasons are there?

It has everything a sport has in my eyes...
    It tests ones skill, technique, physical capacity (in this case, strength), competition... The only thing I can think of that it is missing is team work... BUT I know for a fact that PLers have lifting partners who work together for the same goal. I would consider this team work.

Thoughts?

Ever hear of Team World vs Team USA strongmen events?

Unfortunately like sensei said it's the guys who are doing 30lb db curls in the mirror in a beater with their 13" "guns" grunting ruins the image for a lot of people. As far as a defense...we have the government, and Jose Canseco.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    some MNM-wannabe in a wife-beater doing curls w. a 30lb DB, staring at himself in a mirror
    hahahah. that was totally me last night, minus the mirror, but the only reason i had the wife beater on is because its hot as balls here in florida, and there wasnt anyone in the gym, so i figured, what the hey. as for the curls part, i cant explain why i was doing them, just old habits i guess.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

I find it strange that "sports" like bowling and DARTS are televised, yet powerlifting isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I find it strange that "sports" like bowling and DARTS are televised, yet powerlifting isn't.
    Don't forget, ESPN televises the Nat'l Spelling Bee. Now that's a sport!

Great answers guys!

Most people don't know what powerlifting or Olympic lifting is. Most people only think of bodybuilders posing on stage.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Most people who know what I do consider it a sport. I think that more times than not though people are initially unsure of what Powerlifting or Olympic lifting is like guido said. Once explained, they realize its a sport.

Way I figure it is if synchronized swimming and golf are sports, powerlifting is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    It is way easier to understand darts and bowling than large men and women fitting in layers of skin tight equipment to lift a weight with the shortest ROM possible.
    Last edited by Sidior; 03-29-2008 at 01:47 AM.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    It is way easier to understand darts and bowling than large men and women fitting in layers of skin tight equipment to lift a weight with the shortest ROM possible.
    Totally. I love the 3 powerlifting lifts - but they arent going to be super exciting to watch if you dont care or cant appreciate the kind weight which is being shifted. And as mentioned, the ROM on, say, a world record bench press is so short that a lay-person probably just wouldnt be that excited about the whole affair.

I think olympic lifting is more popular in the public eye because of the ROM - the bar moves about 7 foot, which looks a lot more impressive to joe public than a bar moving 8 inches of someone's chest.

Dont get me wrong, I love both sports, but this is my opinion from seeing people who dont lift - and their reaction to videos.

i'm not sure myself why people dont consider it a sport either...we dedicate our time and hard earned money to be the best as an athletic venture just like the other sports like baseball and such. If we didn't push it to the limits..we wouldn't love it as much. It takes a special breed to do what we do..there are those that wanna be us..then there IS us.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Its really only in this country that Olympic lifting isn't viewed with the utmost respect. In many other countries across the world, it is widely popular. In Iran, 30,000 people have showed up to see in country lifting events! In much of Europe, cab drivers know the names of the best lifters in the country. Olympic lifting is one of the most pure sports around - where track measures speed, OL'ing measures strength, both with athletic, flexibility and timing requirements involved.

To me, a sport is a physical contest where objective grading is involved. Lifting fits into this pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris View Post
    Its really only in this country that Olympic lifting isn't viewed with the utmost respect. In many other countries across the world, it is widely popular. In Iran, 30,000 people have showed up to see in country lifting events! In much of Europe, cab drivers know the names of the best lifters in the country. Olympic lifting is one of the most pure sports around - where track measures speed, OL'ing measures strength, both with athletic, flexibility and timing requirements involved.
    I don't know if it's ONLY in the U.S, but in countries where Olympic medals are fewer, the sports where success can be had are publicized.

If the U.S. had a SHW who was breaking world records and winning Olympic golds (like Rezzazadeh in Iran, or Dimas in Greece), there might be more exposure, but until that happens, forgetaboutit.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

but we're putting out guys about to attempt 1100lbs on the bench press..
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    If there isn't a defense, someone trying to stop you, it isn't a sport.
    Gravity anyone? It's the strongest defense of all time. It has no weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    I dunno, I think I could explain lifting with much more ease than I could darts or bowling.

Lifting: You have 3 events and get 3 tries to lift a weight in each event. Your best lift in each event is added to the total. Your total decides who wins.

Bowling: You throw the ball and try to knock down some pins. If you get them all down, thats a strike, then you add the score from your next two balls to the first frame and add ten, then you add that score to the score of the second frame and that's your second frame unless you get a strike in the second frame than you don't write that score down yet. If you get a spare...

Darts: Throw these things at that board. If you get it in the middle, you win. (Not the real rules, I know).
    Last edited by drew; 03-31-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

People know and understand strongman because they see World's Strongest Man on TV on ESPN, etc. I think if powerlifting ever got that kid of exposure it might have the same notoriety.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I think also it's impossible for the world to view a really fat man as an athlete who competes in sports.

I show some videos of Rezzazadeh to my friends and the first thing they say is "hes fat". I say "Why don't you says 'hes skinny' when you see cross country runners? They are just as unhealthy" (not saying fat=unhealthy all the time, but it isn't optimal). Actually I wouldn't be surprised if endurance athletes were worse off... probably a lot of free radical damage.

Athletes have coordination, speed, strength and endurance. Weightlifting challenges our strength and coordination, cross country running challenges our speed and endurance. Two different disciplines, both require exceptional athletes.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 03-31-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quote the Priest Nevermore PriestCometh's Avatar
    IMO the average joe that watches sportscenter is told what to consider as a sport or not. Who to like, who not to like. What is good, what is bad.

Nobody knew what curling was until espn televised it.
    Examples of what shouldnt be considered sports:
    -poker(interesting but not a sport)
    -competitive eating(lol)
    -spelling bees(good for our youth, but not a sport)

Good examples of the media telling us who to like:
    -Attacking Barry Bonds for allegations, but not attacking
    Carl Lewis for his drug failures. Or Shawn Merriman.
    -The one that gets me is Matt Ryan. All year Brian Brohm
    and Colt Brennan are considered the best QBs in college football.
    After the bowl games these two were jumped over by a guy who
    threw 19 INTs and the ball flutters every time he throws it. Now,
    he is considered to be a top 5 pick.
    -Mcfadden is another one. If you give felix jones the same amount of
    carries, he has the best numbers in the nation. Experts have said he is
    the best rb in the draft, but have also stated he goes down with the first
    hit, has fumbling problems, cant pass block and has troubles running inside the tackles. lol

We have to stop being sheeple. Dont follow the herd. We know as competitors
    and as people what is a sport and what isnt.

Thanks for listening to my rant. lol

Quote the Priest, Nevermore!